• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geneijin said:
Seldom do I hear overrated-levels of praise to Toradora. Where are you hearing them from?

Not sure either.

The only ones that really mention it is myself and jman (also to troll Dresden since he hates Taiga :p) on here.

Hellsing321 said:
I agree with Uchip on this. I can't count how many times people have told me its the greatest love story ever told.

?

I guess from Animesuki then cause surely no one from here (since the time i've joined this thread)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure Haruhi or Bakemonogatari are the most overrated shows of the last few years.

Toradora gets a lot of praise and flak alike, whereas the fanbase for Haruhi and Bakemono is disproportionate to the actual quality of the two.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
What a shocker!

He thinks he's being cool and edgy by hating on something people like. I assure you he has nothing to defend his position on.

forums and friends.
if you really think i care about being "cool and edgy" in an anime thread you must be smoking some serious stuff.

InfiniteNine said:
Wat? Where the hell do you see this?
I have two friends who wouldn't stop gushing about it when it was airing. Got pretty damn annoying. If you frequent any number of Anime boards you'll see that opinion brought up in Toradora threads occasionally. I know the internet is prone to hyperbole but its still a ridiculous notion.

Edit: To be fair that praise is also leveled at Clannad which is an even more ridiculous notion. Anime fans aren't the best judges of quality romances.

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
Also, I never really got the hate for Azusa. She's a great straightman character and actually seems like the most "normal" of the group. Is it the loli pandering and fanservice she ends up providing?
I don't hate her, but the moe-craze following she gets baffles me a bit.

Halycon said:
I'm pretty sure Haruhi or Bakemonogatari are the most overrated shows of the last few years.

Toradora gets a lot of praise and flak alike, whereas the fanbase for Haruhi and Bakemono is disproportionate to the actual quality of the two.

I don't see Toradora spurring that level of flak as consistently as those two titles nor coming close to the level of praise ravished upon those two. Especially Haruhi.

Hellsing321 said:
Edit: To be fair that praise is also leveled at Clannad which is an even more ridiculous notion. Anime fans aren't the best judges of quality romances.
Yes, the Clannad praise is just as bad as Haruhi and Bakemonogatari, but I haven't seen Toradora come close to those levels personally.

jman2050

Geneijin said:
I don't see Toradora spurring that level of flak as consistently as those two titles nor coming close to the level of praise ravished upon them. Especially Haruhi.

I dunno, for what's basically a pretty well-done mostly by-the-books romcom it still remains one of the most reliable catalysts for flame wars in the places I frequent. Definitely at around the same level as the big guns like Haruhi and the like.

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
I dunno, for what's basically a pretty well-done mostly by-the-books romcom it still remains one of the most reliable catalysts for flame wars in the places I frequent. Definitely at around the same level as the big guns like Haruhi and the like.

I thought Toradora was borderline generic but I didn't really finish it so I won't comment.

Its kinda fun going at it with Uchip in a hammer vs nail sorta way.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
I thought Toradora was borderline generic but I didn't really finish it so I won't comment.

Its kinda fun going at it with Uchip in a hammer vs nail sorta way.

its more like a hammer vs paperclip

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dance in the Vampire Bund 1 - 2

Okay, I'm gonna admit that I checked this out on a whim, and I didn't really watch both episodes all the way through... But I saw what I wanted to see.

jman2050 said:

I expect the shippers to be front and center...

Extollere said:

Okay, I'm gonna admit that I checked this out on a whim, and I didn't really watch both episodes all the way through... But I saw what I wanted to see.

Now the real question is: did you like it?

jman2050

Extollere said:

Oh come on, just come out and say it.

You wanted to see Mina and her cute
twintails

Infinite Justice said:
I expect the shippers to be front and center...

It was in the title you idiots!!!09uf90ogdusbhdoihnfo

Okay okay... just gotta back up and remember that this is likely the same class of people that thought Zutara was a realistic option. They're just deluded and/or crazy, that's all!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Uchip said:
Toradora has to be the most overrated anime in the last few years
No, that's Haruhi. Toradora! is well valued because it's solid romance that doesn't fall into the overly melodramatic pitfalls of alot of other romance animes out there like pretentious longshots and improbable weather effects. It's good shit.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
No, that's Haruhi. Toradora! is well valued because it's solid romance that doesn't fall into the overly melodramatic pitfalls of alot of other romance animes out there like pretentious longshots and improbable weather effects. It's good shit.

Yeah, see, this is like, one of the only things me and doomed1 actually agree on, that takes an exceptional level of quality to acheive!

Aigis said:
Nah, Madoka is.

10mmvy0.jpg

7Th

Toradora isn't even that well-known outside a few anime communities. It's popular, sure, but it isn't nearly as popular as Haruhi or Madoka.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
C 3 - Faith in the series slowly restoring, that was actually pretty damn good, as always it still feels like it's building up to something and it could be either something really good or really crap, but it was a hell of a lot more entertaining here, with far better production and direction than episode 2.

Geneijin

Aw, Nonoriri, spoilers. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Tsk a shame? I don't know.

jman2050 said:
I guess the type of praise is dependent on what circles we're in.

At best, I've heard Toradora is a good quality show, but I've never seen much hyperbole for it honestly. BC5M on the other hand as the perfect movie, well...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I fail to see how Toradora could possibly be more overrated than Madoka for the sake of argument, as i never really see people elevate Toradora beyond the fact that it's a pretty good albeit cliche romantic comedy.

Madoka on the other hand!

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
It was in the title you idiots!!!09uf90ogdusbhdoihnfo

Okay okay... just gotta back up and remember that this is likely the same class of people that thought Zutara was a realistic option. They're just deluded and/or crazy, that's all!

This is like when people were getting pissy about Honoka losing out to Suzuka in Suzuka. I mean, really?!

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
I fail to see how Toradora could possibly be more overrated than Madoka for the sake of argument, as i never really see people elevate Toradora beyond the fact that it's a pretty good albeit cliche romantic comedy.

Madoka on the other hand!

what?
everyone that i know thought that madoka was "ok"
while i thought it was a pleasantly surprising audiovisual treat

everyone must belong to fairly different cliques

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
what?

Yeah, the voices in your head as opposed to the world in general.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Uchip said:
what?

Pretty much every anime site/community (including GAF, outside of like 3 or 4 of us) I look at has people praising Madoka to high heavens. I dunno what you're talking about man.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Yeah, the voices in your head as opposed to the world in general.

to be honest you are trolling me much harder than I ever trolled you
and on top of that making it personal insults

how about you take a chill pill and either ignore me or grow up

jman2050 said:
I'll concede Madoka being overrated only along with the fact that I still think it's really really good.
I thought it was good too. That doesn't mean that fans didn't take the hype to ridiculous levels.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Uchip said:
madoka was fresh
Madoka wasn't really fresh so much as it brought two stale, moldy concepts together. This doesn't necessarily make something fresh, it makes a new stale and moldy taste, which I concede may be appealing. But it's still not fresh.

jman2050 said:
I'll concede Madoka being overrated only along with the fact that I still think it's really really good.
I can live with this.

Geneijin

cosmicblizzard said:
I'd probably think Madoka was overrated if I was a magical girl fan. Since I'm not, I think it's underrated.
I don't think that's why people are saying it's overrated. It's not so much how good it is within its genre but the quality of the show itself I think, which people are judging it from?

I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
Madoka wasn't really fresh so much as it brought two stale, moldy concepts together. This doesn't necessarily make something fresh, it makes a new stale and moldy taste, which I concede may be appealing. But it's still not fresh.

I can live with this.

then your definition of fresh is wack :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom