• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
"irc.enterthegame.com: Terminated"

arnie-as-terminator.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Finally finished last season. Have 18 shows queued up this time around.

[C] first episode was pretty fucking cool. Can't wait to see more. Shows I'm watching:

[C]
A Channel
Deadman
Denpa
Dog Days
Dororon
Exorcist
Hana
Hanasaku
Hidan
Hyouge
Lotte
Nichijou
Ore-tachi
Sengoku
Softenni
Steins
T&B

Anything I'm missing?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Izayoi said:
Finally finished last season. Have 18 shows queued up this time around.

[C] first episode was pretty fucking cool. Can't wait to see more.

http://i.imgur.com/3o1rH.png[IMG]

Anything I'm missing?[/QUOTE]
Please don't tell me you're planning to watch everything in that list. Just watch the good stuff.

Izayoi

Banned
Aigis said:
Please don't tell me you're planning to watch everything in that list. Just watch the good stuff.
What's the good stuff? I'm going to give all of those shows at least four episodes (I always do), but I'm curious what everyone considers the good shows to be this season. I just picked a handful that I was interested in or heard things about and then chose the rest based off of recommendations.

I ended up finishing ten shows last season, so I'm curious to see how this season fares.

Ano Hana 3:
Solid episode. This episode had a lot more progression than the previous episode, and it seemed a lot more consistent as well. I also really enjoyed Menma this episode. I felt like she was a lot more funny and endearing the way she was written here.

Dresden

Izayoi said:
What's the good stuff? I'm going to give all of those shows at least four episodes (I always do), but I'm curious what everyone considers the good shows to be this season. I just picked a handful that I was interested in or heard things about and then chose the rest based off of recommendations.

I ended up finishing ten shows last season, so I'm curious to see how this season fares.
Dororon Enma: the best

Then you have:

Hanasaku Iroha
Tiger & Bunny
[C]
Hyouge Mono

Then there's more but I'm too tired and those are the essentials imo.

Izayoi said:

Here's what I consider the cream of the crop:

Ano Hana
Hanasaku Iroha
Denpa Onna
Nichijou
Tiger and Bunny

Also worth watching:

Dororon Enma-kun
Kaiji S2
Sket Dance

Lain

Izayoi said:

Of what I've seen so far, I'd say Denpa is good, Battle Girls is bad but amusing, Hanasaku is good, Ore-tachi is bad, Lotte is OK, A-Channel sorta relaxed/boring but not completely bad, Dog Days sorta bad, Nichijou I'm not completely sure if it's good or bad. I still have to start on the others but never find the right mindset to.

I haven't made it too far in, but is Boogiepop Phantom really worth watching? I finished about an episode and a half, and was kind of bored (btw, I'm not really into mindfuck anime).

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
I haven't made it too far in, but is Boogiepop Phantom really worth watching? I finished about an episode and a half, and was kind of bored (btw, I'm not really into mindfuck anime).

I thought it was worth watching and came together quite nicely in the end. But I have a fondness for non-linear multi-perspective storytelling.

Dog Days 04 - More fighting, lots more of it. This series apparently is mostly about fight scenes. Some new characters are introduced, too, an adult samurai ninja or something (she's a dog-girl ninja who says stuff like "de gozaru" all the time), and a ninja girl who works under her. They fight against the troops in the castle, along with the main hero and the two girls already traveling with him (the tsundere warrior girl, and the young sage girl who apparently is also good at artillery). This time the two main opponents are male. Neither fight ends in this episode, this is continuing into ep. 3. A more shonen battle harem show indeed. It was alright for what it is, but that's all. The JRPG elements of the story are amusing, though. :)

Lotte's Toy 02 - Yeah, as I thought I would, I quickly am losing interest. Doubt I'll continue for long. For what it is though it's decent. The main character is nice. Did the manga keep it in suspense for so long that that girl's actually his daughter and not his sister, though? Maybe, but I imagine it'll be revealed soon. Ep. 1 was all new stuff, but ep. 2 was much closer to the manga.

Galaxy Angel 03-07 - Amusing series... but really, does a show with 12 minute episodes need full length OP and ED parts? That takes up a lot of time in a series with already short episodes. Oh well, it's entertaining and some of these plots were weirdly funny.

Ep. 3 - And that is why you don't give missiles self-aware artificial intelligence, they refuse to do their duty. Good stuff, that was entertaining. :)

Ep. 4 (I think, the one about the rich construction company owner being targetted) - Somewhat unsatisfying ending, they
all run away without it telling us which was the one that failed
? It was a kind of silly way to end it though, and a little bit surprising, so it worked. Still a little odd though. The twist in this episode was well done, I didn't predict it I must admit.

The episode about returning that old guy's elementary school ID card (5 or 6 I think) - That was a good episode. The story this time was a little more serious than the other episodes so far. Milfeuelle (spelling it wrong I know), the main character, provides plenty of "I'm an idiot" humor, but the main plot is kind of sweet actually, once it's revealed at the end (I won't spoil it). Nice twist, if a bit strange again (in a completely different way from the last episode).

Overall, this series is nothing special, but it's amusing enough that it does make me want to probably watch some more. Amusing sci-fi comedy.

Hitokage said:
Index is overhyped by Accelerator fans.
I guess someone has to like serial killing psychos, but that doesn't mean they're right...

Hitokage said:
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I love war.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.
I LOVE WAR.

Thank you. Good night.

Hitokage said:
I just saved you 30 minutes!
Pretty much, yeah.

Infinite Justice said:
Note the last "it" in my post was referring to his insanity and that speech was just a vehicle.

@bold: should of just said this in your first post about it :p
What? Because he's insane and there was something like it in the manga, somehow that justifies them actually putting that in the anime? It is "just" ten or so minutes of a madman ranting about how he loves war and killing, but it's also one of the more embarrassingly bad things I've seen in anime.

Yea when had an actual war but after 50 plus years they basically just don't give a shit anymore.
I don't think even today's neonazis are in favor of pointless war just for the sake of war, though. If it were possible for them war for the sake of killing black people or Jews or something maybe, but just for the sake of chaos and slaughter? That's generic supervillain stuff, nothing to do really with nazis.

Plus Hellsing is all about being over the top imo and won't be winning any awards for its story telling. :p
That's for sure.

was it a good idea? Maybe not but I got a message from it at least.
Yeah, that it's a pretty badly written series. :)

As said before i agree but nothing beats talking crazy stuff and going on and on and on about it.

My response to that scene: "This guy is completely fucking crazy"
Of course he's crazy, but beyond that my response was as described earlier.

Jexhius said:
It certainly was incredibly convenient that they all got together so easily but their traumas are far from being resolved.
Yeah, indeed true.

mAcOdIn said:
Have fun with that, I'm going to do my damndest to avoid total crap this season.
Sure, that's probably a good idea. Dog Days is somewhat different from IS, it's got less harem antics and a lot more fighting. IS had lots of harem antics and occasional fighting, but Dog Days really is focused on the fighting, at least through the first four episodes. It kind of feels like an attempt at a harem show crossed with a (comedy) JRPG, I think. So it's got Chocobo analogs, wandering monsters, battles where no one dies, set piece fights in specific arenas, etc. There are bits of harem stuff too of course -- the main character is male, while all of the other major characters on the dog side (that he's on) are female; a bath scene; the tsundere girl he's around the most (the fighter girl with the blue theme color, Eclair I think) hits him when he's stupid, etc -- but there are lots of long fight scenes in Dog Days, more than some of these shows.

I don't mean to say that that makes it better in any way, though. It doesn't. It's extremely, extremely generic. It just has a somewhat different feeling from, say, IS or Samurai Girls; it's got a bit more shonen battle anime in it than them, I guess. Now, maybe that'll stop soon and it'll go to some 100% generic harem antics episodes, I expect it at some point, but so far that's how it is.

Oh, and the art's more generic looking than, say, IS or Samurai Girls. Those two at least had some interesting visual design to help keep them interesting. Not much of that here, just animal-people and JRPG-ish references.

I attribute it to rich westerners importing shit from Japan, surely the actual Japanese always have bad taste.
I'm sure if someone made a list of anime series popular in Japan, you'd find SOMETHING on it you consider good.

Shit, when are you going to rewatch(Project A-ko) it?
Wait, I have to re-watch it too? I didn't sign up for that! :)

Seriously though, sure I guess I will, but it doesn't have nostalgia value for me because I only watched it for the first time a few years ago, not back at the time, and with a series like that I'll bet that watching it in the context of the time matters...

Frankly, I think dealing with all their trauma together holds more possibilities for actual drama between the characters than if they were all solo and doing each person one at a time.
It looks like they're kind of going with parts of both.

On a better note, Nausicaa and Millennium Actress arrived in the mail today!
Two good movies!

Articalys

ISML Day 3
Still boring

In the exhibition match, Cirno manages to defeat Reinforce Zwei by 47 votes despite the overwhelming disadvantage of not actually being an anime character.

Lain

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
I think it is great, really good atmosphere, weird moments, interesting characters, but if you don't like mindfuck anime, then do not bother.
cosmicblizzard said:
30 people in IRC now. I think this was a success.
How do you guys mantain sanity in a IRC channel with 30 anime gaffers? Doesn't the chat scroll by so fast reading becomes impossible?!

Branduil

Lain said:
How do you guys mantain sanity in a IRC channel with 30 anime gaffers? Doesn't the chat scroll by so fast reading becomes impossible?!
Yep.

I think they're going to burn themselves out pretty quickly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
I don't mean to say that that makes it better in any way, though. It doesn't. It's extremely, extremely generic. It just has a somewhat different feeling from, say, IS or Samurai Girls; it's got a bit more shonen battle anime in it than them, I guess. Now, maybe that'll stop soon and it'll go to some 100% generic harem antics episodes, I expect it at some point, but so far that's how it is.
Why keep watching it at all? :lol

firehawk12 said:
Why keep watching it at all? :lol
Good question...because even though in general I don't find them interesting enough to stick with, sometimes I do find stupid action stuff entertaining I guess? I don't have the patience with it to follow the endless shonen series like Naruto or Bleach (though I do read the Fairy Tail manga, I gave up on the anime after like 30-40 episodes), but at least this will actually end after a little while.

Yeah, no good reasons really.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Good question...because even though in general I don't find them interesting enough to stick with, sometimes I do find stupid action stuff entertaining I guess? I don't have the patience with it to follow the endless shonen series like Naruto or Bleach (though I do read the Fairy Tail manga, I gave up on the anime after like 30-40 episodes), but at least this will actually end after a little while.

Yeah, no good reasons really.
Hah, I suppose it's low commitment shounen after all.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Sure, that's probably a good idea. -snip-

Oh, and the art's more generic looking than, say, IS or Samurai Girls. Those two at least had some interesting visual design to help keep them interesting. Not much of that here, just animal-people and JRPG-ish references.
You tryin' to sell me on Dog Days?
A Black Falcon said:
I'm sure if someone made a list of anime series popular in Japan, you'd find SOMETHING on it you consider good.
If that person wasn't from Japan, sure.
A Black Falcon said:
Wait, I have to re-watch it too? I didn't sign up for that! :)

Seriously though, sure I guess I will, but it doesn't have nostalgia value for me because I only watched it for the first time a few years ago, not back at the time, and with a series like that I'll bet that watching it in the context of the time matters...
Well you act like my memory's shit, what about your memory?
A Black Falcon said:
It looks like they're kind of going with parts of both.
Seems so.
A Black Falcon said:
Two good movies!
Yay!

What? Because he's insane and there was something like it in the manga, somehow that justifies them actually putting that in the anime? It is "just" ten or so minutes of a madman ranting about how he loves war and killing, but it's also one of the more embarrassingly bad things I've seen in anime.

Yea it was justified imo since that was the point where you said the character is that crazy and it also played into how over the top the whole series is. (plus they want to adapt the manga more accurately :p).

I don't think even today's neonazis are in favor of pointless war just for the sake of war, though. If it were possible for them war for the sake of killing black people or Jews or something maybe, but just for the sake of chaos and slaughter? That's generic supervillain stuff, nothing to do really with nazis.

Wasn't really comparing actual ones though (since honestly no one would act like that), just this particular group in the world of Hellsing. I really think you should watch the rest though since there is even more crazy stuff than some silly war speech lol

Yeah, that it's a pretty badly written series. :)

Honestly i don't really care as much about that as long as i'm entertained so :p.

Its always interesting seeing how those things can affect other people though (like your post of not liking Black lagoon because the main group are mostly evil).

Lain

Black Republican said:
so whats peoples opinions on the best anime so far this season?
Madoka! It had two episodes in this season so it counts!
Alternatively it is a toss up between Denpa and Iroha, but I haven't watched enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom