• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JKTrix said:
Interesting AnoHana production tidbit:

Usually in anime, the actors all perform/record together in a recording room. According to this (via a twitter update from someone who could read it), for AnoHana, Menma's actress records separately from everyone else so they don't actually hear what she's saying.

Neat. It's nice to hear Ano Hana putting in the extra effort for believability.

Lain said:
So Dog Days main character's name is actually Cinque, sort of makes sense given the big usage of italian words as names in the show (although a number as a name is weird, then again most dogs have food names, so maybe not so weird).
Agreed on the point that Cinque isn't a British name, but they obviously don't care...

tiff said:
Maybe the Japanese see Europe like we see Africa.
Yeah, probably. A plausible explanation.

There's never too many lolis!
Well if you think that, then you must love the show... :) I don't think that, though. At least they keep the loli-service from going too far; there is some, but far less than people would probably expect from a show like this.

Also, Shimapan-Man, the TV show? That is kind of amusing. :)

zeroshiki said:
The original Gatekeepers is miles ahead of 21 in quality. GK21 was unnecessarily grimdark and the lead is also an unlikeable kuu/tsun-dere who never goes dere.

Gatekeepers 21 spoiler
Plus, it doesn't seem like she's Shun's daughter with Yuriko. What the fuck? Why would you break the canon pairing for no reason whatsoever?!
Huh, I might want to look up the original series then. Isn't it actually a whole season, versus six episodes or something for 21?

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
Huh, I might want to look up the original series then. Isn't it actually a whole season, versus six episodes or something for 21?

Definitely. Its a fun light hearted shounen action team series the likes of which we don't get anymore :(

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Well if you think that, then you must love the show... :) I don't think that, though. At least they keep the loli-service from going too far; there is some, but far less than people would probably expect from a show like this.
I'm enjoying it, yeah :D

As for the loli-service, I think they're hitting the point where there's just enough not to distract from the actual plot and all.

Izayoi

Banned
tiff said:
As for the loli-service, I think they're hitting the point where there's just enough not to distract from the actual plot and all.
Agreed. I'm really enjoying it and the lolis don't really hurt the show, I don't think. There are some shows that leap over the line, but this show does a good job of not even really skirting it for the most part. Pretty impressive considering the premise.

sleepykyo

Jexhius said:
Such an original and unique concept is clearly worth it's weight in gold.

Yeah, I think I prefer the original OAV. While watching the TV series, I kept thinking what an artificial weakness, how in the heck did humanity survive before Saya?

Branduil

C- 04

That was harsh.

The battles are easily the worst part of the show. It's like watching a card game with arbitrary rules that are never properly explained. Characters win because it's the plot, not because of something you can understand.

trejo

Blue Exorcist 5

Silly Rin, why couldn't you just say she's your friend? :(

I'm hoping this show will start heading somewhere soon but it seems at least next episode won't be it.

Lain

Armitage III Polymatrix
Every time I re-watch this, I can't help but notice how disjointed this feels, with story elements left out and forcing you to piece some things together and just accept others as is... and yet I still like it very much.
Naomi Armitage feels like a smaller, more emotive version of Motoko Kusanagi.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lain said:
Armitage III Polymatrix
Every time I re-watch this, I can't help but notice how disjointed this feels, with story elements left out and forcing you to piece some things together and just accept others as is... and yet I still like it very much.
Naomi Armitage feels like a smaller, more emotive version of Motoko Kusanagi.
So, watch the OVA?

Jex

faridmon said:
I just had a glance at ANN, and I couldn't believe what I read: They just called Canaan awesome and compared top the likes of GItS and East of Eden.
Well, it's a website that talks about anime, most of them aren't that reliable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hitokage said:
Blood-C takes place in the CLAMPVERSE.
Eagerly anticipating Tsubasa!Kamui/Tsubasa!Subaru fabulously gay vampire antics.

Jex

Steroyd said:
Please let at least 1 of them not be a turd, plz plz plz I love me vampires. Blade I'll just assume will be dead in the water but I'll watch anyway.
They'll both turn out awful now!

Jex

JKTrix said:
Interesting AnoHana production tidbit:

Usually in anime, the actors all perform/record together in a recording room. According to this (via a twitter update from someone who could read it), for AnoHana, Menma's actress records separately from everyone else so they don't actually hear what she's saying.
So they record like most video game casts/dubs naturally record?

flawfuls

Hyouge Mono 4

Excellent as always. I just can't get over how so incredibly cultured this show is. This week we basically get a classy fashion show with old Sengoku warriors. Nobonaga's was easily the best with his zebra pants and cherry blossom branches.

They also delivered in the sexy this week.

NgeFw.png

Naked apron Sasuke? Take me now.

jman2050

Infinite Stratos 6

Wow, Charles is a girl? Totally fooled me.

Denpa Onna 6

30% cute MoErio antics, 70% Ryuushi getting trolled to hell. In other words, still awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ano Hana 6

If you played a drinking game where you drank every time Memna started blubbering and crying, you'd be shitfaced in like four seconds. Every time anyone does anything she starts crying.

Space Thunder Kids

Tanks and Tron. Not really anything else to say. Don't think I'd be able to articulate any coherent thought about this anyway (much like the movie itself).

trejo

I've no opinion in particular regarding Space Thunder Kids given I only saw parts but I do have to honestly question everyone's sanity for watching that from start to finish.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana 6 - Decent episode, the scene where jinta defends anaru was pretty awkward yet amusing, the last bit of melodrama kinda got me sucked in, that said what they did with menma in this episode was weird i have no idea what they are doing with the supernatural element at this point, there seems to be no sense of consistency behind it.

[C] 6 - Not a strong episode, but not exactly a weak one either, they were some interesting plot developments, some character development, and although i think some will dislike it, i actually liked the fact that they cut the last fight short!

Still wonder what direction they will take this in the next 5 episodes, because they seem to be setting up a lot of stuff, in fact the whole series has been set-up at this point with no clear climax yet.

Space Thunder Kids

That was... almost indescribable. An experience like few others. Space Thunder Kids is simultaneously all action, unbelievably boring, horribly paced, full of shooting, completely nonsensical, very simplistic in plot, awesome, and terrible... it is both among the worst and best things ever. The movie, about an hour and a half long, is a Korean movie made up of clips from seven other shows, several of which are themselves ripoffs or clip collections of Japanese animes. So, it's a ripoff of ripoffs. Given that, it's kind of amazing it even works as well as it does... I mean, it makes no sense most of the time, but it makes more sense than you'd think given what it comes from.

It's just absurd stuff... from the way characters randomly appear and disappear, rarely with names given, to the confusion of who exactly the Space Thunder Kids are (are they all of the mecha heroes? Some? Certain ones? Are the different mecha heroes actually supposed to be different, or are we supposed to think that they're the same? I have no idea, the show doesn't explain.), to the question of how the heck the main villain, the Dark Emperor, was even killed anyway (
In the key part, from some anime with a partially Tron-inspired theme, one group of STKs convince a space pirate woman (who is apparently nonhuman, even though she looks human) to join their battle against the Dark Emperor. She refuses, and then changes her mind about two seconds later after her sister (who is about a foot tall) says that she wants to help them. It was pretty stupid. Anyway, then next we see them this group of STKs are all pinned down on the ground, fighting evil robots (the movie skips over the battle, all we see is that aftermath of sorts), when she intervenes and blows up a giant monitor with the Dark Emperor's face on it, as he was talking to his troops there.

Somehow, against all logic, this apparently kills the Dark Emperor. How exactly I have no idea, and it isn't explained, but it does. So yeah, the Space Thunder Kids don't kill the Dark Emperor, the pirate woman does. Works for me, nice avoidance of doing the expected...

The best part of the movie by far, however, was a part in the middle with some Mazinger ship (that seemed to have a Gundam weapon?) that fought against an enemy fleet. This section had no talking at all -- no cuts to the ship's pilots, and none to the enemies, and no voiceover either. Just fighting. Fortunately, it was awesome fighting, easily the best in the film -- Mazinger destroys enemies by punching them, by cutting them in half, by flying forward, fist outstretched, and blowing up multiple enemy ships as they run into its fist, and more. There's also big battles against several major enemies. Mazinger uses a mace weapon, with a spiky ball on the end of a chain, too. It's pretty awesome stuff.

A while after that, though, the show more returned to form in a long scene continuing a side plot, that the enemies have made allies with China on earth. While the rest of the UN fights against the Dark Emperor, as the Earth is of course the galaxy's only hope for freedom, China betrays the UN, in part because the US accidentally shot a missile at China (though they shot it down before it hit anything) and part because, well, they're evil Commies of course! However, this plotline isn't finished -- even though there's a nearly two minute long shot of a huge column of Chinese tanks driving through some mountains to battle, the plotline is not continued. After they go through that tunnel who knows what happens to them, or China, because they aren't mentioned again. I presume that they gave up on their helping-evil thing after the Dark Emperor died.

So yeah, overall, Space Thunder Kids is an utterly incomprehensible disaster of a mess. It's all fighting with no context or point. Dialog is rare through much of the film. Characters appear and disappear at random, depending on which show is being used at the moment, rarely with explanation. Almost no characters other than the Dark Emperor are actually named. Scenes are repeated over and over, animation loops, random cuts help up the confusion factor, and more. It's just such awful, awful stuff, so poorly thought through and yet somehow entertaining and at times amazing as a result...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Denpa Onna 6:
Nothing happened, but I'm still enjoying it. Everyone is moe as fuck. Even granny is moe.

trejo

Denpa Onna 6

Episode was kind of a drag and I find Ryuushi rather annoying sometimes so it certainly doesn't help that they focus mostly on her in this one.

Clearly the lack of insane Meme antics is what hurts this show the most.

Rektash

Denpa 6:

What a snorefest. Nothing happened, except stupid moeblob which I don't care for at all. Time to watch some more Princess Tutu, at least this anime manages to have cute characters without moeblob bullshit.

Articalys

Now I really can't decide which opening song I like more. Tabi no Tochuu has the duet nature and more vivid imagery, but Mitsu no Yoake is brighter and a bit more romantic. And they both feel like they have the right structure for a waltz.
On a related note, any other anime opening songs similar in style to these two?

Rektash

Articalys said:
Now I really can't decide which opening song I like more. Tabi no Tochuu has the duet nature and more vivid imagery, but Mitsu no Yoake is brighter and a bit more romantic. And they both feel like they have the right structure for a waltz.

Tabi no Tochuu all the way. The singer is simply great and yes even live.

Lain

Hitokage said:
So, watch the OVA?
I'm on a Armitage III re-watch, so started with that right after finishing with Polymatrix (why watch a summary? Well, owning the DVDs, might as well put them to some use!), but it was 4AM so I went to sleep.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I feel like AnoHana is just trolling all the speculah people because they just went ahead and have the characters confirm that they think
Jinta is insane
. Still good though, and that situation being diffused was very... real I think. It could have gone very poorly in terms of being cliched or boring.

It also kind of points to a show that would never be made into an anime - but, a more serious/realistic look at school life would be interesting to me. At least on an anthropological/sociological level.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
I thought Allison to Lillia's was pretty similar, show is ok for the first half then quickly takes a nose dive but the OP was enjoyable.

kiryogi

Banned
Anohana 6

Still loving it. The scene with at the school was a great way of defusing the situation. Like many others have been saying, it could have ended very poorly had they gone a different way. Overall, definitely loving Naruko more and more. Poppo still high up there too. The ending was amusing too, a bit needed to lift the melodrama. Too bad they didn't have it transition into the ED as they have been recently.

Steins Gate 1-3

So far, it's coming off more of a comedy to me with how the crazy the protagonist is. Talking to himself, nicknames, the sekuhara... Definitely was laughing a lot. That said, I think it's finally getting serious at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom