• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
The actors are terrible and ugly :(

Why couldn't I get Horikita Maki as Haruhi? WHY?! WHY?!

Also, since this is TBS, be prepared for this show to be named Ouran High School Host Club but have zero zilch to do with the actual manga/anime.

They've taken umm... liberties with other manga adaptations in the past.
Haha, I just assume they all look fairly Japanese Idol-like to be honest. I have no doubt that it will be a completely different take on the text, outside of the pilot episode setting up the premise.

Not much on my List imo.

Enma
Iroha
Tiger and Bunny
Lotte
X-Men

Stuff to check once over/near over

Ano Hana
C
Denpa
Steins Gate
30 Sai

Summer has

Blood C
Usagi Drop
That boobs anime
Appleseed.

Lain

So Dog Days main character's name is actually Cinque, sort of makes sense given the big usage of italian words as names in the show (although a number as a name is weird, then again most dogs have food names, so maybe not so weird).

flawfuls

I'm watching

Steins;Gate
Kaiji
Enma
C
Nichijou
Gintama
Denpa
Hyouge Mono
Azazel
Ano Hana
Showa Monogatari
Ao no Exorcist
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
Fireball Charming

I think that is the most I have ever followed in a single season.

Jex

Paradise Kiss 2

Caroline freaking out at teenagers doing teenage things was priceless. I guess in anime land you are supposed to stare at each other for six months and then hold hands rather than make out on a pool table. Also, that's not how childhood friends are supposed to work. All the conventions are in trouble!

It's pretty important for our heroines integrity that she makes her own decisions without being totally forced into to it by others, so that's great to see.

On the negative side, the transitions between scenes suck really badly. Just cut. Don't do a wipe with flowers or whatever, it's really distracting. Don't pull the audience out of the story by reminding them that it's artificial.

Still, I'm enjoying George playing his mind games and wearing fine hats. Yet all that's topped by his Jaguar E-Type Series 2, which is pretty much the Akio pimp car.

Lain said:
So Dog Days main character's name is actually Cinque, sort of makes sense given the big usage of italian words as names in the show (although a number as a name is weird, then again most dogs have food names, so maybe not so weird).

Yeah, but the guy is British :/

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
Paradise Kiss 2

On the negative side, the transitions between scenes suck really badly. Just cut. Don't do a wipe with flowers or whatever, it's really distracting. Don't pull the audience out of the story by reminding them that it's artificial.

Yeah they suck, it probably wouldn't hurt as much if they didn't use it for every transition, which happens quite frequently.

Articalys

duckroll said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBTvv5MjwM

Hmmm... Blood-C confirmed to debut 7/7, so that'll be A Channel's timeslot (aka Madoka slot!). Blood-C and Penguin Drum running back to back on MBS, while noitaminA has a new Production IG and BONES show... will mean that Thursdays are probably the peak of interesting anime every week even in Summer. Lol.
So I don't know anything about Blood or Blood+, so could someone help clarify: is this a sequel or prequel or something, or just an original story set in the same "universe"?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Articalys said:
So I don't know anything about Blood or Blood+, so could someone help clarify: is this a sequel or prequel or something, or just an original story set in the same "universe"?
Blood-C takes place in the CLAMPVERSE.

duckroll

Articalys said:

Original story by CLAMP, based on the same main character. It is currently not known if it is actually in the same universe continuity as Blood and Blood+, but it will likely have little or no connection at all with the other works outside of the main character's name and general concept (female half-vampire who hunts vampires).

Souther

Banned
TV-Nihon says they are going to start subbing "Super Combining Warriors Sun God V"
And it looks pretty damn funny but I can not find anything about it besides 1 youtube clip.

Jex

duckroll said:
Original story by CLAMP, based on the same main character. It is currently not known if it is actually in the same universe continuity as Blood and Blood+, but it will likely have little or no connection at all with the other works outside of the main character's name and general concept (female half-vampire who hunts vampires).
Such an original and unique concept is clearly worth it's weight in gold.

Ezalc

Tiger and Bunny
Blue Exorcist
Sket-Dance
Hyougemono

Most of you not watching Sket Dance disappoint me. For shame on you guys, episode 7 was beautiful ;_;

Articalys

duckroll said:
Good to know. No prior knowledge needed means I'll probably check it out.

Ezalc said:
Most of you not watching Sket Dance disappoint me. For shame on you guys, episode 7 was beautiful ;_;
I am! I maintain the soundtrack is one of the best parts of the show.

duckroll

In Summer 2011, we will have two shows going head to head with the same concept!

- Half-vampire lead
- Fights for humanity
- Kills vampires with a sword

West vs East. Production IG vs Madhouse. Male vs female. Blood vs Blade!!!!!!!!!!

Ezalc said:
Tiger and Bunny
Blue Exorcist
Sket-Dance
Hyougemono

Reading the manga and the other shows has killed my hype in watching it.

Hopefully i will get to it eventally.

KtSlime

Finally saw the first episode of X-Men, after long avoiding any western adaptations I decided I owed it to marvel to at least try it. Not bad, but I had this continual thought in the back of my mind "they need to get Scott so that he can be the exchange student, and the show will turn into FMP and wackiness will ensue...". So far it is okay, will maybe check out the rest later.

Jex

I'd like to say that, judging by the quality of X-Men, Blade probably wont *deletes word that could act as pun* be a terrible show. Then again, Madhouse will do whatever they feel like doing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marco 2

This episode could well be titled "Marco, the most delightful boy on Earth". He's diligent, thoughtful, light-hearted and full of energy. Like everything about this show, he's thoroughly charming, without being saccharine.

We could alternatively name this excursion "Marco goes to the shops and makes lunch" because that's all that happens! Turning such a mundane plot into an enjoyable slice of entertainment is no easy task, but a focus on minor details and subdued, believable situations really sells the atmosphere of the piece.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Hound 3

What a fantastic episode. Damn. I could go off about it for awhile but if I summarise it as "a twenty minute Miyazaki movie" that should hopefully be a vivid enough description for those familiar with his works. Think Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky though, because this is definitely an adventure piece.

It also helps when the central clues aren't Gosick level stupid.

Watching a Takahata episode back-to-back with a Miyazaki episode is definitely a fun exercise. Miyazaki with his eye for exciting visuals, bold movement, exaggerated villains and fast-moving stories while Takahata explores small moments of grounded human drama and brings them to life with a dedicated and careful hand.

Cwarrior

Watching

Steins;Gate
Enma
Nichijou
Ano Hana
Ao no Exorcist
Tiger & Bunny
Toriko
Xmen

Dropped
C
Denpa

haven't checked out yet

sket dance
Moshidora!

ivedoneyourmom said:
Finally saw the first episode of X-Men, after long avoiding any western adaptations I decided I owed it to marvel to at least try it. Not bad, but I had this continual thought in the back of my mind "they need to get Scott so that he can be the exchange student, and the show will turn into FMP and wackiness will ensue...". So far it is okay, will maybe check out the rest later.

First episode it probably the best so far sadly.

Steroyd

duckroll said:
In Summer 2011, we will have two shows going head to head with the same concept!

- Half-vampire lead
- Fights for humanity

West vs East. Production IG vs Madhouse. Male vs female. Blood vs Blade!!!!!!!!!!

Please let at least 1 of them not be a turd, plz plz plz I love me vampires. Blade I'll just assume will be dead in the water but I'll watch anyway.

faridmon

I just had a glance at ANN, and I couldn't believe what I read: They just called Canaan awesome and compared top the likes of GItS and East of Eden.

at this point this Website must be trolling us.......................... either that, or they have the worst taste ever.

Canaan is easily one of the Worst Anime I have ever seen and the biggest let down ever since the director worked on BONES awesome Animes.

Screw that Website
Although, their X Button feature is boss

Instro

faridmon said:
I just had a glance at ANN, and I couldn't believe what I read: They just called Canaan awesome and compared top the likes of GItS and East of Eden.

at this point this Website must be trolling us.......................... either that, or they have the worst taste ever.

Canaan is easily one of the Worst Anime I have ever seen and the biggest let down ever since the director worked on BONES awesome Animes.

Screw that Website
Although, their X Button feature is boss

You should write them a strongly worded email.

7Th

flawfuls said:
So what happened?

The PV had no animation, no character sketches, no plot summary, no staff listing or anything interesting; all it had was the logo and a typically cryptic voice-over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:

- Half-vampire lead
- Fights for humanity

You're forgetting HBO's animu, True Blood!

Lain

faridmon said:
Canaan rocks, ANN redeemed.

Watched Lady Georgie 23, so many sweet memories came back. Ordered the manga, because the art is so good.

Sket Dance 7

Good old anime disease - "It makes you weak!" Touching episode nonetheless. I cried.

I'm such a sucker.

faridmon said:

To be fair, that review only called the first 6 episodes of Canaan awesome and said it completely fell apart after that. And it only compared it to GitS and East of Eden because of the animation, not that the story or overall quality was the same. I haven't seen Canaan so I can't judge these statements, and far be it from me to endorse ANN's reviews, but it's not quite as outrageous as you make it sound.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
Such an original and unique concept is clearly worth it's weight in gold.

I'm pretty much over vampires and zombies in just about every medium at this point, with the golden exception of Hellsing Ultimate and The Walking Dead.

Articalys

Cwarrior said:
Sket Dance ep1

Laptop guy the selling point of the show for me.
Tomokazu Sugita, having a field day with his acting as usual.
In the manga crossover with Gintama they made fun of him voicing both Switch and Gin.

JKTrix

Interesting AnoHana production tidbit:

Usually in anime, the actors all perform/record together in a recording room. According to this (via a twitter update from someone who could read it), for AnoHana, Menma's actress records separately from everyone else so they don't actually hear what she's saying.

Articalys

JKTrix said:

Usually in anime, the actors all perform/record together in a recording room. According to this (via a twitter update from someone who could read it), for AnoHana, Menma's actress records separately from everyone else so they don't actually hear what she's saying.
Everyone except for Miyu Irino, I would presume? Since Jinta can hear her in the show...
Unless they just give him her lines so he knows what to react to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JKTrix said:

That's because they cast an actual ghost to play the part!
Although, that makes sense, since the characters really aren't meant to notice her or even react to her.

zeroshiki

JKTrix said:

That's pretty cool.

Now if only the rest of the world would ignore Menma :(

Instro

JKTrix said:

Interesting, makes sense when you think about it. Best way to get the reaction they are looking for since no one knows what Menma would be saying other than Jintan.

zeroshiki

I kinda wanna read the Okada Mari interview. She probably talks about HanaIro and AnoHana in it and I wanna see what she thinks/plans of both of them.

Izayoi

Banned
JKTrix said:

Huh, that's pretty neat. Makes the interactions more believable, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom