• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

duckroll said:
This is Blade:
nowonair.jpg

These are the people making Blade:
Director: Mitsuyuki Masuhara
Series Editor/Script: Kenta Fukasaku
Animation Production: Madhouse

These are the people acting in Blade:
Blade: Akio Ohtsuka
Makoto: Maaya Sakamoto
Deacon Frost: Tsutomu Isobe
Noah Van Helsing: Osamu Saka

GOOD LUCK MY FRIENDS!
Well... Blade's design looks passable. Nothing in those names really guarantees victory though.

Nesotenso

duckroll said:
This is Blade:
nowonair.jpg

GOOD LUCK MY FRIENDS!

design looks similar to his recent appearance in X-men in the comics. are the people working on it any good?

Jex

duckroll said:
This is Blade:
nowonair.jpg

GOOD LUCK MY FRIENDS!
Well, none of of those names inspire any particular confidence.

sleepykyo

duckroll said:
This is Blade:
nowonair.jpg

GOOD LUCK MY FRIENDS!

Between this and doing the production work for the Chinese does this mean Madhouse is going to become the next Gonzo?

Lovely Complex 18

That was the payoff I was waiting for. So satisfying.

Panty and Stocking 1

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about first-hand. I lasted about 10 minutes. This show is an ode to everything I hate the most in animation. Even with gloves on, I don't think I could touch this toxic waste again with a ten-foot pole. Bravo, Gainax, you've repulsed me yet again.

duckroll

Here's what I expect from Blade: Fuck awesome voice cast, and LOLZ drama/action dialed up to the 9s. Similar to Wolverine, what they're doing here is pairing a relatively unknown director who has done some Madhouse shit in the past with a relatively well known gore-fest Japanese live action writer. The results should be just as cheesy and hilarious.

The only question here is whether Madhouse is actually going to back this up with animation. If not, then it'll be another Wolverine. If they do, it could be.... err.... a little more interesting I guess, if the action is any good. Lol.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
Panty and Stocking 1

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about first-hand. I lasted about 10 minutes. This show is an ode to everything I hate the most in animation.

Not an animation fan I see.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Panty and Stocking 1I wanted to see what all the fuss was about first-hand. I lasted about 10 minutes.
To be fair to episode 1, it's one the worst in the whole show.

Also, Miyu, WTF is this?

vamphorsepiano.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a half horse half piano. It also has rocket fists, no, really. That still doesn't answer my original WTF? question.

Dresden

hosannainexcelsis said:
Panty and Stocking 1

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about first-hand. I lasted about 10 minutes. This show is an ode to everything I hate the most in animation. Even with gloves on, I don't think I could touch this toxic waste again with a ten-foot pole. Bravo, Gainax, you've repulsed me yet again.
The first ten minutes are about the shit monster, right? Might want to see the latter half at least, Deathrace 3000 or whatever was slick.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu 10

Miyu cares deeply about all...well, basically only children/young girls. That's unfortunate for the rest of the populous. Not to mention darkly humorous.

I like the way this show plays on the notion that
cats are somewhat insidious and then works the idea up to it's logical conclusion. Neat.

Steroyd

hosannainexcelsis said:
Panty and Stocking 1

Another schizophrenic show, this show treats every "half" episode as a full episode, episode 1-2 is much much better than ep 1-1 and if you don't like ep 1-2 you'll definately not like the whole show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
This is Blade:
nowonair.jpg

GOOD LUCK MY FRIENDS!

No Wesley Snipes?!

Jex

Sherlock Hound 10

I assumed we couldn't top the insane action and beautiful animation from the last episode. I assumed wrong because this episode is all about aeroplanes. Everyone knows that if there's one thing Miyazaki loves, it's things that fly in the sky, especially models from a certain era.

Therefore it won't come as a surprise to say this episode is amazing. What is slightly surprising is when Mrs. Hudson
becomes a total badass.
. This is the catalyst for a number of awesome scenes. As is the case with many Miyazaki action sequences what really stands-out is the inventiveness and creativity put into the scenes themselves. They're easily some of the best I've seen.

jman2050 said:
Not an animation fan I see.

I'm not going to say it's poorly made technically, but that Cartoon Network style of animation it's using has never appealed to me. It's too spare and angular. Plus the constant barrage of crass, juvenile humor really gets on my nerves; it feels like it was made by a bunch of preteens trying to be "edgy", who think excrement by itself is hilarious. If you guys all say the second half of the episode is much better, I'll give it one more go. It can't get much worse anyway.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
If you guys all say the second half of the episode is much better, I'll give it one more go. It can't get much worse anyway.
Well it is much better but that doesn't necessarily make it great, because the first episode is awful. There are some legitimately great episodes later on though.

Because of all the different writers and directors there's episodes that I really enjoy and episodes that I hate, it's pretty scattershot throughout the series.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
hosannainexcelsis said:
Panty and Stocking 1

I guess you fail the litmus test for COOLNESS.

Panty and Stocking 1-2

Well, that wasn't as terrible as the first half at least. It even managed to have one or two moments I liked looking at - the point where the animation was abstracted to show the speed of the train was nice. I still don't like the overall style and all the humor falls flat, especially Panty's all too obvious innuendo. I'm willing to watch more if Jexhius or someone can give me a short list of good episodes though.

Lovely Complex 19

Jealous neighbor girl appears! This should be entertaining.

Jexhius said:
Well it is much better but that doesn't necessarily make it great, because the first episode is awful. There are some legitimately great episodes later on though.

Because of all the different writers and directors there's episodes that I really enjoy and episodes that I hate, it's pretty scattershot throughout the series.

Indeed.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm willing to watch more if Jexhius or someone can give me a short list of good episodes though.

My list (some may be missing becuase i cant be bothered to remember them)

Obligatory Episode 6 post.

3rd part of Episode 10.

2nd part of Episode 12

Final Ep is cool as well for the ending.

This series is really divisive though so expect lots of different suggestions

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm willing to watch more if Jexhius or someone can give me a short list of good episodes though.

There really isn't a consensus except for episode 6 and maybe the last 2 episodes. I'm sure amongst the recommendations, every episode will show up at least once.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Every episode in the show is good with the exception of 3, 8, 9 (fucking hate this episode).

Really those were the only episodes i actively disliked, the rest ranged from enjoyable to great!

X-Frame

Hidan No Aria: 1-7

Last night I peeked in here and saw a couple gifs and you all mentioning it so I figured what the hell I'll check it it. Watched all 7 so far between today and yesterday and it's pretty funny but the plot is confusing. I just hope it doesn't get "weird" from here on in.

Aria character spoiler:
Sherlock Holmes the 4th? Really? Did NOT see that coming. Lol.

Steins Gate 9

This is easily the best anime i have seen in a while, the development is superb. It keeps me coming back for more, i just cant get enough. Please tell me you guys are watching this show. AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING.

Izayoi

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Steins Gate 9

This is easily the best anime i have seen in a while, the development is superb. It keeps me coming back for more, i just cant get enough. Please tell me you guys are watching this show. AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING.
I am, and I agree. Definitely one of the best shows this season.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'll join you guys on the Steins;Gate anime train when I finish the game.

Articalys said:
With all the Steins;Gate talk, I'm curious, what was the general consensus on the Chaos;Head anime a few years ago?
Horrible adaption!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
X-Frame said:
Hidan No Aria: 1-7

Last night I peeked in here and saw a couple gifs and you all mentioning it so I figured what the hell I'll check it it. Watched all 7 so far between today and yesterday and it's pretty funny but the plot is confusing. I just hope it doesn't get "weird" from here on in.

Aria character spoiler:
Sherlock Holmes the 4th? Really? Did NOT see that coming. Lol.
You did not see that coming because it was the worst plot twist ever!

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Steins Gate 9

will wait until its half way (since its supposedly a 24 ep series)

iavi

Izayoi said:
I am, and I agree. Definitely one of the best shows this season.

Well talk on this one sure has taken a turn for the better lately. Last I remember, it wasn't all that great. I'll give it a try.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Miri said:
Well talk on this one sure has taken a turn for the better lately. Last I remember, it wasn't all that great. I'll give it a try.
Well they didn't handle the prologue and chapter 1 stuff too well. It could have gotten better since I stopped watching out of fear of the anime spoiling game story to me!

Instro

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Steins Gate 9

I watched the first few episodes but Ive fallen way behind. Ill catch up at some point though. I definitely liked what I saw though.

Articalys said:
With all the Steins;Gate talk, I'm curious, what was the general consensus on the Chaos;Head anime a few years ago?

Having never played the game, I didn't like it. It started out interestingly enough, but I felt like it kind of fell apart as the show went on. I think part of the problem was too few episodes, a lot of the plot felt rushed.

iavi

InfiniteNine said:
Well they didn't handle the prologue and chapter 1 stuff too well. It could have gotten better since I stopped watching out of fear of the anime spoiling game story to me!

Ah! that reminds me; what was the general consensus on the adaptation of Valkyria Chronicles? I've been playing the game here and there, and it's gotten me interested in watching.

Erigu said:
[Steins;Gate]

I hear episode 12 will be a doozy.

Sounds like a ep to start my run on :)

Miri said:
Ah! that reminds me; what was the general consensus on the adaptation of Valkyria Chronicles? I've been playing the game here and there, and it's gotten me interested in watching.

Wasn't that great last the time i heard.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miri said:
Only saw the first episode - but it was basically the opening of the game with all kinds of script problems and terrible writing that weren't present in the original!

tiff

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Steins Gate 9

I saw a few episodes but I kinda got the impression that this is one of those things where it'd be better to play the VN first so I stopped.

Miri said:
I haven't seen it but my brother watched a few episodes last I checked and complained about the changes they made.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
tiff said:
I saw a few episodes but I kinda got the impression that this is one of those things where it'd be better to play the VN first so I stopped.
Well that probably wont happen for a long time if ever. Better start learning that Japanese!

iavi

Infinite Justice said:
Wasn't that great last the time i heard.

Lafiel said:
Only saw the first episode - but it was basically the opening of the game with all kinds of script problems and terrible writing that weren't present in the original!

Ah, thanks guys. Looks like I'll stick to the game.

Enron said:
wtf @ furry avatar

Aha! Who would have thought that Chopper was only the beginning of his descent.

Uchip said:
is it fun harassing people?
is it fun giving mod power to people like duckroll who are as immature as a 5yr old?
I realy dont get you poeopl

Whoa! Uchip, man, it's all love. Well, as far as I'm concerned anyway. Don't go and die on me now.

Instro

Uchip said:
is it fun giving mod power to people like duckroll who are as immature as a 5yr old?

Are you holding a grudge about getting banned or something?

Uchip said:

Everyone is just joking around. Don't let it get to you. Yes, animegaf is brutal, but they're rarely serious. No need to get banned again over this, so you should probably edit that.

Articalys

So as long as we're talking anime based on games, what's the last time a VN had an anime adaptation that was generally agreed to be decent?
e: Or even a good adaptation of any game, really.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Well that probably wont happen for a long time if ever. Better start learning that Japanese!
Ugh :(

When I dropped it people seemed a lot less enthused about it than they do. Maybe I'll pick it back up sometime down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom