• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
There's a way to make your point without appearing condescending!
That's not condescending, it's a recognition of everyone being smarter than when we first saw Evangelion! If I wanted to be condescending, I'd have said that I totally understood it the first time, even when I was younger.
which I totally did :p

Jex

GaoGaiGar 22

At least this show is quick to point out that every attack, bar his ultimate attack, might as well not exist! It's all about the Hell and Heaven/Hammer Hell and Heaven.

Goldeion isn't so smart. Which is fine, this show is all about inserting the new piece into a well-worn formula and seeing how it interacts with the other elements.

GaoiGaiGar 23

I respect how this episode opens with a minute of Engirsh. Not easy Engrish either! Full on technobabble. These guys must have fought long and hard to pronounce those words.

Another new robot? Presumably this Mic 13 won't be as utterly worthless as the pliers. Not that anything could be.

Old guys vs. old guy fight as enjoyable as well, but only because the narrator called out their attacks in DRAMATIC fashion. I'm glad the writers are willing to embrace how over-the-top their setting and genre is, and play along to that fact.

doomed1 said:
That's not condescending, it's a recognition of everyone being smarter than when we first saw Evangelion! If I wanted to be condescending, I'd have said that I totally understood it the first time, even when I was younger.
which I totally did :p

I didn't even watch it until last year.

iavi

Gintama 210

I've gots the feeling, this arc is gonna be good. I've got it in my bones.

I was never all that particularly interested in the dramatic aspects of Gintama, but this arc; it seems a bit different.

Btw, anybody know what the issue was behind that joke of a last ep?

tiff

Banned
Ore no Imouto 15 - Kirino's troubled heart is healed through the power of eroge, how touching.

Glad that she's back in Japan, though. Kuroneko's so much better when she has Kirino to play off of.

doomed1 said:
Well wouldn't you consider yourself smarter now than before? :D

I think I'd honestly consider myself dumber.

Of course I'm not praising Eva here. I thought it was just alright with an incredibly confusing last 2 episodes due to budget.

Tenchi Muyo GXP
I just finished watching this for the first time. It had a lot of the charm of Tenchi without being Tenchi. That was a very unexpected surprise. I honestly thought I wouldn't want to watch too many episodes, but that wasn't the case at all. I especially liked the fact that this harem show got a harem end. If only more shows would be so brave.

Toriko 9

Not too shabby for the first human(oid) battle. And Toriko gets an awesome ally. The hell kind of name is Terrycloth though?

Looking forward to Sani's appearance.

Lovely Complex 24

And it's over. These last few episodes, lacking the tight, unified pacing of most of the show, have felt like an epilogue. But I don't mind; it's nice to see how life goes on. Koizumi and Otani are definitely one of my favorite couples in anime; they play off each other very well. Great show.

Defuser

Kaiji S2 ep 9
Fuuuuuuuck, 500 million yen!!Shit this is gonna be a even better arc!!

Miri said:
Gintama 210

I've gots the feeling, this arc is gonna be good. I've got it in my bones.

I was never all that particularly interested in the dramatic aspects of Gintama, but this arc; it seems a bit different.

What..were you not interested in the Yoshiwara Arc or the Spider Arc?

And what joke of the last ep? There was plenty of jokes in that ep.

Lain

Battle Girls 9

Oh oh oh, that really broke poor Akerin. I almost thought she'd try to kill Hideyoshi on the spot!

NeonZ

I recall Anno originally being resistant to making EoE at first anyway, plus, the last two episodes made much more logical sense for the progression of the narrative than EoE. The whole driving story behind the meta-physics scifi plot was this idea of human instrumentality, that if all the barriers between humans broke down, that human suffering would disappear. There were many plot reason for people trying to bring this about, few of them really relished upon, but the actual event of human instrumentality is irrelevant in the greater picture. What matters is the rejection of it, that breaking down such barriers are meaningless because it wouldn't end human emotional self-destruction and self-loathing. For this purpose, the original last two episodes were the best.

Eva also had a narrative aside from the introspective scenes though. If the narrative didn't matter at all, then many parts of the show would be utterly pointless. What would be the point of the characters commenting the creation of the Eva series if they never actually appeared? Those scenes had no tie in to the themes of the show and were there just to push the narrative forward.

Even if the series ending by itself does resolve the core conflict regarding Shinji's emotional problems, they do so by completely throwing away the narrative, making a lot of the earlier stuff irrelevant. Even if the central theme is there, they're a clear departure from the type of narrative that the show had used up to that point, not a logical conclusion.

Miri said:

They once in a while do episodes like that. Did you just skip the original series or something? Every stock footage heavy episode is as random as that one.

My only problem with it is that it's the second time they tease a movie about the old war, and, unlike the usual, they didn't acknowledge that it was a reused joke and tried to play it straight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dynedom said:
Finished Cross Game

Absolutely fantastic series. Really no complaints at all. It didn't feel like a long series in a negative way. I like how the relationships developed, how
death
was handled and the cast was great.

Not sure if I'd call it a dramedy or a romcom but it is a must-see imho. Even if you don't like the retro character designs (which I think was part of the charm of the series), it's worth checking out.

Might be one of my top 5 series ever.

This series manages to say more with a 10 second stare between characters than some series do with 5 minute conversations.

I still think the last major "twist" was kind of a bullshit way to add complications to a pairing that was canon anyway. But, Adachi still works, even if he's a bit quaint. I'm hoping in 5 years or so, they'll adapt the his new baseball manga. :lol:

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I still think the last major "twist" was kind of a bullshit way to add complications to a pairing that was canon anyway. But, Adachi still works, even if he's a bit quaint. I'm hoping in 5 years or so, they'll adapt the his new baseball manga. :lol:

He has a new one?!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kaiji 9
Is it just me, or did the art feel really different in this episode?

Mononoke 1 (Attempt 4)

I just can't stay awake for the whole episode. I don't know if it's the art style or animation or what, but there's just something about this that puts me to sleep.

7Th

cosmicblizzard said:
Mononoke 1 (Attempt 4)

I just can't stay awake for the whole episode. I don't know if it's the art style or animation or what, but there's just something about this that puts me to sleep.

The first arc is actually slower and more wordy than the rest of them. Skip to the third episode to get the over-the-top and super-intense brand of horror/dramedy Mononoke is best known for.

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
Mononoke 1 (Attempt 4)

It's your inner bad taste trying to take over your body. Fight it! Pull a shounen and level up your powers to defeat it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
It's your inner bad taste trying to take over your body. Fight it! Pull a shounen and level up your powers to defeat it.
But there's possibly people with good taste out there who couldn't enjoy first two episodes of mononoke! don't make such ill-assumptions.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I thought it sucked now?

How the quality of the transfer?
Can't say for sure right now because I had to watch it on composite lol, but it looked great for what it was.

One of the complaints I remember, when the movie first came out, was about the "abrupt tone shift," but the more I rewatch it, the less I think this complaint holds. The movie spends a great deal of time setting things up and the tone shifts happen at appropriate points and are predictable, that is to say, they make sense.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
One of the complaints I remember, when the movie first came out, was about the "abrupt tone shift," but the more I rewatch it, the less I think this complaint holds. The movie spends a great deal of time setting things up and the tone shifts happen at appropriate points and are predictable, that is to say, they make sense.
That's pretty much the whole point of the story. Makoto thinks she's in time-travel-happy-fun-time then it all comes crashing down on her.

Jex

Lafiel said:
But there's possibly people with good taste out there who couldn't enjoy first two episodes of mononoke! don't make such ill-assumptions.
Everything is possible. Just not probable.

jman2050

You can't just request entry into the monocle club. There's a long, arduous, qnd incredibly elitist applocarion process that is impossible to survive without years of upstanding citizenship and sucking more than a few cocks along the way.

Btw, K-On still sucks.

Dresden

The monocle club is lame, anyways. They tend to be bitter, bespectacled individuals with a chip on their shoulders.

Join the plebeian mustache club.

The Monocle Brigade are a bunch of elitist jerks. If you join K-ON GAF, you'll have a lot of fun and learn that there is no shame in liking things that you like!

Hanasaku Iroha Ohama is Mai Waifu 9:

Once again, Ohana Mai Waifu manages to resolve everything through sheer genki determination! I really get the feeling the decision to open a love triangle between Ohana, Tohru, and Ko-friendzone was really left to the last second. They even animated Ohana clinging tightly to Tohru's back on the bike with the train carrying Ko-FZ passing by in the background. All Ko-FZ would have had to do is turn his head to see them and BOOM! INSTANT DRAMA! (kind of like instant oatmeal, actually). I'm actually kind of glad they didn't go that route. This show really doesn't seem to be about that kind of thing. I guess if you were looking for hardcore serious drama, you should go watch some Korean soap operas or something. :3

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
The Monocle Brigade are a bunch of elitist jerks. If you join K-ON GAF, you'll have a lot of fun and learn that there is no shame in liking things that you like!

Hanasaku Iroha Ohama is Mai Waifu 9:

Once again, Ohana Mai Waifu manages to resolve everything through sheer genki determination! I really get the feeling the decision to open a love triangle between Ohana, Tohru, and Ko-friendzone was really left to the last second. They even animated Ohana clinging tightly to Tohru's back on the bike with the train carrying Ko-FZ passing by in the background. All Ko-FZ would have had to do is turn his head to see them and BOOM! INSTANT DRAMA! (kind of like instant oatmeal, actually). I'm actually kind of glad they didn't go that route. This show really doesn't seem to be about that kind of thing. I guess if you were looking for hardcore serious drama, you should go watch some Korean soap operas or something. :3

Or AnoHana!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom