• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while now. What aspect ratio is this show in? Because I assume it's actually in 16:9, since those screens look correct, but everyone keeps posting gifs and crap of the show in 4:3 (which looks kinda wrong). What gives?

mAcOdIn

duckroll said:
That's why we can never be friends.
I don't want to be friends with someone who hates Chiaki Omigawa. I think I should be like firehawk12 is in regards to Yuu Kobayashi but with Chiaki Omigawa.
Geneijin said:
I would not mind seeing him again honestly. It was part of the charm of the show.
Honestly, I bet he worked a little on Last Exile.
duckroll said:
Okay, this has been bothering me for a while now. What aspect ratio is this show in? Because I assume it's actually in 16:9, since those screens look correct, but everyone keeps posting gifs and crap of the show in 4:3 (which looks kinda wrong). What gives?
It's fucking Gonzo, they probably used a different aspect ratio each couple of episodes.

Branduil

duckroll said:
This is what's bothering you about the show?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
They are fools who refuse to conform to the 16:9 master format.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
I don't want to be friends with someone who hates Chiaki Omigawa. I think I should be like firehawk12 is in regards to Yuu Kobayashi but with Chiaki Omigawa.
Omigawa is this generation's Kobayashi, surely!

iavi

Gintama 202

5Min in and I was wondering how long this gag was going to run...then Shinpachi outran Usain Bolt and Zurako made her appearance. Everything was better after that.

Geneijin

duckroll said:
3:2 >.>

Articalys

duckroll said:
Hell if I know, but the Amazon listing says 4:3.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Omigawa is this generation's Kobayashi, surely!
I don't see why it needs to be a competition, I want there to be myriads of VAs so characters have a lot of range, I don't want everyone to sound the same. Except that Rei Kugiyami or whatever her name is that does Shana/Louise/Taiga, I wouldn't mind if she retired.

Also, interested parties can now pre-order Project A-ko on DVD through Rightstuf! 15 bucks. God I know this movie is not going to live up to my memories at all. It'll be like when I went and tried to re-watch Dominion Tank Police.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
duckroll said:
But that doesn't actually explain anything. I was just trying to imply that all the people posting gifs in this thread are -fucking lazy- and can't be assed to make them in the right aspect ratio. :p
Could be getting the clips from youtube, possibly?
Droplet said:
I always thought that was supposed to be something about Suzaku's lineage since there was something in R1 that was never expounded upon that heavily hinted that he was supposed to be related to the Geass somehow. And then this got made in typical Japan fashion and the guy looks like Lelouch because he just sort of does. I didn't read much though, thought it was pretty mediocre and didn't keep up with releases. C.C. is in it but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean either.
Sounds really disappointing and dumb. Just means for sure I won't be checking it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
I don't see why it needs to be a competition, I want there to be myriads of VAs so characters have a lot of range, I don't want everyone to sound the same. Except that Rei Kugiyami or whatever her name is that does Shana/Louise/Taiga, I wouldn't mind if she retired.
It's not that she has range though. She just sounds different from all the other girls in the industry.

Well, with the exception of the altos in the lower range... but they're a fairly rare breed as well.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
It's not that she has range though. She just sounds different from all the other girls in the industry.

Well, with the exception of the altos in the lower range... but they're a fairly rare breed as well.
I don't mean range as in she herself has range, I mean a range of people for companies to choose form. I don't want Chiaki Omigawa voicing three characters a show any more than Yuu Kobayashi, even if she could pull off three different voices. I just get tired of hearing people's voices that sound similar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
I don't mean range as in she herself has range, I mean a range of people for companies to choose form. I don't want Chiaki Omigawa voicing three characters a show any more than Yuu Kobayashi, even if she could pull off three different voices. I just get tired of hearing people's voices that sound similar.
Well, Kobayashi's voice is auditory sex, so I suppose I'm happy she's playing bit characters in everything. But I get your point. The Mio actress is in everything and she's the same tsundere character every time (well, except for Seitokai Yakuindomo I suppose).

Still need to finish Fractale sometime...

Geneijin

duckroll said:
But that doesn't actually explain anything. I was just trying to imply that all the people posting gifs in this thread are -fucking lazy- and can't be assed to make them in the right aspect ratio. :p
If you're referring to the Glass Fleet .gifs, I'm the culprit. I'll keep that in mind if you insist.

firehawk12 said:
Well, Kobayashi's voice is auditory sex, so I suppose I'm happy she's playing bit characters in everything. But I get your point. The Mio actress is in everything and she's the same tsundere character every time (well, except for Seitokai Yakuindomo I suppose).
You can say that after Moshidora is over.

Branduil

duckroll said:
The wrong aspect ratio just adds to the charm.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it looks like my maid outfit came in yesterday while I was sleeping the alchohol off some more! Now to wait till the office opens.

mAcOdIn said:
It better be better than Nichijou, I'm still angry at the time I spent watching it.
So your streak of disliking good animes continues? Nichijou's good stuff. :)

Geneijin said:
Glass Fleet - 19
Sometimes, bad animation needs to be praised. There's a special art to it.
That's... wow. That scene there does hit a special level of bad, doesn't it... so many arrows, it's taking the classic "the badguys can't hit anything" and bringing it to a new, even more absurd extreme. Painful stuff. :lol

firehawk12 said:
I think Dresden said it was Semi in the ED.
Yes, it does say Semi in the ED. But descriptions put it the other way... I guess the ED's is correct though.

And the second OVA had a lot of "hilarious" humiliation stuff, so I suppose it depends on how you interpret that. :lol

Ah, sex. It's not just in and out anymore.
Humiliation? I guess so, sort of, but she's in that club by choice, she wasn't forced to be there... she agreed, and agrees, to it. And nothing happens to her, it's just a little embarrassing.

zeroshiki said:
Her grandma threw a bucket at her and made her work the moment she arrived, slapped an innocent girl just because, slapped her multiple times and smokes in front of other people. She's a lovely person I'm sure. Her uncle also looks like he gropes women on the train.
(Hanasaku Iroha) Yeah, that grandmother is pretty evil. Forcing your teenage granddaughter to work like that, really? Too bad you couldn't get her on child labor law violations or something. :)

Also, yeah, her hitting the other girls too is maybe even more disturbing; for them there isn't even the "child of my disowned daughter" thing going against them, it's just because she's like that.

Oh, as for the episode, it was alright, but not entirely my thing. I can see why people like it, but I probably won't be watching every episode.

I can kind of see the Gilmore Girls reference I guess, I watched a few episodes of that here and there, particularly in the earlier seasons. There are some similarities, aren't there... but this girl's mother is definitely more irresponsible than the mother in Gilmore Girls, she didn't send her daughter to go live with her mother like in this show, after all...

Uchip said:
its closer to R because it makes me laugh when they pronounce L's in english ;)
'really' would sound like 'rearry'
On that note...
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Fry me to the moon and ret me pray amongst the stalls
Isn't the problem with that kind of thing though that really the l's and r's sound the same, so that "just reverse the letters" thing isn't accurate because really they aren't different sounds?

/XX/

Hitokage said:
When he wrote the Nausicaa manga, though, the filter was off.
Yeah, that's true. The Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind illustrated novel granted him the opportunity not only to explore different techniques and understand the medium, but to express himself in a more personal way. Here I'll link you an interesting translated analysis of this same subject by Kaoru Kumi, from her book The Age of Hayao Miyazaki:

Manga Criticism Translation: “At First, I Wanted to be a Manga-ka”: Analyzing the Nausicaa Manga by Kumi Kaoru, pt 1 - 2chan.us
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2009/11/04/kumi-kaoru-translation-nausicaa-1/

Manga Criticism Translation: “At First, I Wanted to be a Manga-ka”: Analyzing the Nausicaa Manga by Kumi Kaoru, pt 2 - OGIUE MANIAX
http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/20...lyzing-the-nausicaa-manga-by-kumi-kaoru-pt-2/

Regarding his subsequent films, that subdued sensation I remarked before reminds me of a similar opinion stated by Hideaki Anno, extracted from the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection SPECIAL Short Shorts (ジブリがいっぱいSPECIALショートショート) liner notes, although at that time Mr. Anno was certainly a much more aggressive and bold filmmaker:

Hideaki Anno said:
All of Studio Ghibli's works are top level creations.
But, I can't help but feel that something is missing.
This is because, although the technique is there, I can no longer feel "blood",
the "blood" that is surely flowing within everyone.
I wonder when that happened?
Studio Ghibli's works have, for me, become things that doesn't possess the
image of "Anime", but rather of the so-called Japanese cinema, in other
words, the Japanese movies that have now lost all their energy.
That may be the reason that I feel that something is missing.
http://keyframe.cjas.org/~mneideng/trans/misc/annoghib.txt

Erigu

Jexhius said:
You'd be right, there was no point in watching it that way.
I could probably list arguments for both sides... except when it comes to the first broadcast episode. That's a (great) first episode, and it makes no sense to change that.
... And yet, they did, in the end (when they aired the new episodes and released the Blu-ray box). Shame.

Klyka

Banned
Been watching Glass Fleet, up to episode 9 now.
It's pretty enjoyable so far and I agree that the character designs are amazing.
That fat count with the 3 (4?) mustaches? GENIUS!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finally got around to watching Summer wars - i liked it, the visuals and direction were incredibly strong as expected from hosada, but sadly i felt the film suffered from having a rather silly plot, and some of the more anime scenes in the film were kinda cringe-worthy to say the least, that said i really loved the family dynamic, and how it nailed the feel of a large family, and being from a large family myself i really related to it in a good way, the characters also had a nice charm to them. It almost makes me wish they ditched the overambitious sci-fic element and focused sorely on the characters, which was genuinely well-done for one.

But yeah overall - this is a good example of a well-made film held back by it's script. It kind of bums me out that his next film is going have the same writer behind it.:lol

iavi

Summer wars, for all its playing up of a character dynamic, didn't have much in the way of an interesting character dynamic. They took the cheap route, opting for the typical.

The movie was fun overall though.

InfiniteNine said:
Are you jealous that I sent Icarus pictures?

Is this one of those creepy online romances I've heard about? I'm betting you're like 24 years old and I-D is like 14. That's statutory rape in all 50 states, don't you know?

Jex

Level-E Troll Ending: Ah, good stuff. Ending the series on a strong note allows the viewer to overlook those couple of episodes that where a little sub-par.

Also, can I borrow steal your banner for my Kaiji thread, InfiniteNine?

I started to make my own and then realised there was only one piece of official art for the whole show, which you had already used!

I will also make an Iroha thread if and only if the second and third episodes don't suck. There's no point knocking one up now for a great pilot, because so many shows fall apart after that point. Plus, by that point, the pilot will be available on Crunchyroll for all the plebs to check out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
See! See what he's doing?
Just because my posting style changed dramatically after that means nothing! Are you really that jealous?

Jexhius said:
Also, can I borrow steal your banner for my Kaiji thread, InfiniteNine?

I started to make my own and then realised there was only one piece of official art for the whole show, which you had already used!
Go for it!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miri said:
Summer wars, for all its playing up of a character dynamic, didn't have much in the way of an interesting character dynamic. They took the cheap route, opting for the typical.

The movie was fun overall though.

Yeah the start had a really nice feel to it, but it started going into a more typical route after wards, kinda disappointed me.

Speaking of which The Girl who leapt through time starts off amazing in the first half and loses steam when it starts going for the typical melodrama route, it didn't bother me as much as it did in summer wars though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Unknown Soldier said:
Is this one of those creepy online romances I've heard about? I'm betting you're like 24 years old and I-D is like 14. That's statutory rape in all 50 states, don't you know?
I'm 22! Plus 16-17 is more a good range if I have to go jailbait.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Geneijin said:
What happened to I9's tag anyway?
There was a forum-wide purge of imgur hosted images in tags.

Speaking of forum stuff, gifs that run close to the size limit and avatar rotation scripts may be on their way out soon, but not without a couple things to compensate.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Just because my posting style changed dramatically after that means nothing! Are you really that jealous?
As someone who only showed up during the fall season it's hard to imagine you as any different than you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom