• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

However, Sankarea goes that extra, crucial step of having the girl pick up a loofah, describe it as "hard and flexible" and then squeeze it between her breasts (for no reason) so that it bounces up and down in a very phallic manner until liquid is squirted from the top of it into the girls face.

Well I now know what episode of anime I'm watching next!

Jex

I'm a fan of Tenka Seiha. His sneering has an undeniable ounce of truth when you deconstruct the show in question at its most basic form. It makes for good reads. Don't go there if you're easily butthurt.

You've just given 7th a heart attack.
I'm a fan of Tenka Seiha. His sneering has an undeniable ounce of truth when you deconstruct the show in question at its most basic form. It makes for good reads. Don't go there if you're easily butthurt.

For constant praising, there's Random Curiosity, Star Crossed, Lost in America etc. etc. etc.
If only there could be a middle ground between constant praise and constant trolling.
Well I now know what episode of anime I'm watching next!

Pff, I am sure there a .gifs somewhere.

wonzo

Banned
welcome back dresden!
bow.gif
godintraining.jpg
bow2.gif

Firemind

If only there could be a middle ground between constant praise and constant trolling.

It's not trolling if their opinion doesn't correspond with yours. I'd categorize it as masochism. He doesn't write about Queen's Blade to troll Queen's Blade fans. He writes about it because it's ridiculous and gives insight how Japanese writers and directors don't give a shit, probably because they're underpaid and overworked, without spending twenty-something minutes to actually watch the train wrecks. It's pretty selfless of him. A true American hero.

frostbyte

Accel World 4

Otaku wish fulfillment is so blatant. If you're super good at games, girls will pity at poor you in real life and fall in love with you!

Confession scene had no weight to it since the characters are fundamentally so unlikable. Sigh, I feel so cold-hearted when the characters are tearing up and I feel nothing.

...I shouldn't be so harsh. At least, Haruyuki's not as annoying this time.

Lupin the Third: Fujikoike 4

I'm kinda mixed about this. I feel like I don't know enough about the characters. Zenigata's chasing Lupin because of
his blood/family has something against the Lupin family
, Oscar's purpose seems just to play off Zenigata as the straight-laced cop, Fujiko was just there, and Lupin was Lupin, as usual. The characters are charming but I don't get a real sense of purpose with them yet.

The only real eyebrow-raising detail was the
childhood flashback when Fujiko walked into the Lethe
, which I expect that to be expounded on in later episodes.

/XX/

Kyoani had quite a reputation from pretty early on. Certainly by Haruhi they had quite a reputation, and I'm sure it dates to earlier than that.
As I've seen commented, the Air adaptation is what granted them the attention of a more broad fan-base in Japan, although they were pretty famous inside animation focused circles for their quality subcontract work, first for parent Shin-Ei Animation.

About the ongoing discussion, I think they usually make a sublime work for the author's sake, act as an amplifier of the hidden potential with their unique crafting efforts and vision, and in my opinion that is the root of a problem. They didn't try to differentiate themselves from their works after the not very successful Munto, and because of that their brand recognition is that of "accomplishers of good adaptations for the material I'm interested in", many want Kyoto Animation adaptations for their extremely solid work but not because those believe that they are the only ones that can do it. In general, I think they didn't attract their own fan-base but made bigger or created new ones for each franchise itself, on their country.

I feel like I am the only person paying attention to the important details.
Yes you are, and that helps us expand our horizons of true entertainment...

Steroyd

Accel World 4

Otaku wish fulfillment is so blatant. If you're super good at games, girls will pity at poor you in real life and fall in love with you!

In this case, it's a simple case of gaming nerd falls for gaming nerd who's better at games than them, obviously this happens in the real world.

Jarmel

Banned
This is a good KyoAni discussion. I think there's a lot of truth that they really made K-On their own, and elevated the material into what it is right now. But they've definitely used popular adaptations as a crutch before that though, and Nichijou calls into question whether they can really turn anything into gold.

How popular is Hyouka in Japan anyway?

I wouldn't really call using popular material as being a crutch. As long as they can put their own mark on the show, that's what matters.

There's been talk about the strength of the KyoAni studio brand, and how their animators and staff make the shows they create appealing and popular. But is that really true? I think we've had this conversation before on the thread, but I'll like to reopen the discussion and invite for more contributions from people who might know more about specific franchises to give views.

Kyoto Animation has produced the following works: Munto, Full Metal Panic, Air, Kanon, Clannad, Haruhi, Lucky Star, K-On, Nichijou, and Hyouka. Of all these works, the only original series is Munto. This franchise is not very successful at all. Of the other works, the most popular ones were already popular works before they were adapted. The fact that they got good adaptations simply helped make them even more popular than ever.

It seems to me that KyoAni is a studio where the success of their output doesn't really come from the strength of their studio brand, but rather the benefit of the marriage between the strengths of their production values along wit the appeal of certain specific types of content they choose to adapt. This can clearly be seen in the sense that the works which already appeal to the audiences who go for cute virtual girlfriend stuff end up being their most popular works. On the other hand, the studio has not shown that their "brand name" really extends to being able to sell a ton of anything outside of that genre.

Can we really say that Kyoto Animation is a strong studio brand if people are really only mostly interested in a specific type of content from them, rather than actually supporting and following the studio to see what the staff can do with different types of material?

Discuss!

What is there to discuss really? As you said, Munto bombed and that has been their only original series. The problem when you talk about Munto though is that the material and show itself was pretty boring. There were legitimate reasons as to why it didn't sell. Now if they created a strong fascinating work similar to some of Bone's anime original projects, then that would be a different argument. They are great at adaptations though as seen by Lucky Star and K-ON but as for straight anime original material? Then again to be fair to them, original material on average tends not to do as well as adapted material. Yes it's a bit of a common sense statement but it still needs to be said. The two most popular types of work from them are Key adaptations and 4-koma adaptations. KyoAni was atleast able to shift gears from serious drama to light fluffy comedy and not only retain sales but also increase them.

Quite frankly, I've kinda given up on the studio, it seems they're really not interested in adapting serious material. Even Haruhi 2009 seems like a somewhat half-assed effort. Disappearance certainly was great but I'm not sure if that tone is going to be standard moving forward. I wonder if Hyouka is going to try and be a mix of K-ON and a more serious work in regards to the tone and it should be interesting to see the sales of the show and whether KyoAni can succeed. I would also like to see what they have in the pipeline down the road, such as another season of K-ON with the brats at college.

I'd agree with the statement that the success of KyoAni is due to the choice of their adaptations, which are almost sure-fire hits due to the inherent popularity of the source material. Their chosen works play to their strengths and they make sure to exploit that well with their talent. Added to the strength of the visual direction, along with impressive production values, they're certainly built up a name and reputation for themselves.

I'd also argue the fact that they've adapted FMP brings more credence towards them as a strong studio; It demonstrates that the studio is quite versatile and don't just make cute "moeblob" shows.

Them doing FMP isn't really indicative that they're versatile as Fumoffu was a comedy and the OVA that did well was Tessa's light day of doing nothing on the submarine. That said, Disappearance does prove a strong counter-point as it did gangbusters and dealt with heavy material in general. I think that has more to do with the strong brand of Haruhi in general though, even after KyoAni doing the best they can to fuck it up, where people wanted a continuation of the main storyline. I would also say the Key material was heavy in tone and sold extremely well. The studio is very versatile, when it wants to be.

Jex

It's not trolling if their opinion doesn't correspond with yours. I'd categorize it as masochism. He doesn't write about Queen's Blade to troll Queen's Blade fans. He writes about it because it's ridiculous and gives insight how Japanese writers and directors don't give a shit, probably because they're underpaid and overworked, without spending twenty-something minutes to actually watch the train wrecks. It's pretty selfless of him. A true American hero.

Well it really is quite hard to tell when he only writes about bad shows.

*clicks through a few more pages*

He has bad words to say about Apollon, that's not cool.

Still, as he only reviews bad anime, that's not particularly helpful for someone who just wants to know how a particular season is going. You might as well follow this thread if you want to witness endless masochism.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Not really, because he is pretty much "troll" he clearly only writes the way he does, to illicit a reaction, not because he has some stroke of insight that he feel is worth sharing.

NewFresh

Shigurui Ep.01

It has a very palpable look and feel. The gray washed out aesthetics make everything feel dirty and almost other worldly (Demonic maybe?). It's interesting, even thought the plot is kind of everywhere. It seems like a show about bad people doing bad things and I'm ok with this.

Also..CG cicadas

I'd prefer a middle ground, but if you add me to your list we can negotiate the terms...

I think something can be arranged.

Angel Beats 7

I wholeheartedly approve of Naoi using hypnosis for trolling and comedy. I still think the flashback/returned memory scenes are the worst though. I have a hard time paying attention to them as they're overly serious., Otonashi's story was a snore.

Second half was much better as it was back to everyone being either a moron or jerkass.

What? Otonashi's was emotional. Naoi, tied with two others for my fave character in the anime.

Kagami

Mysterious Girlfriend X 2
Urabe's
reaction to Tsubaki's dream at the end of episode 2
was really cute.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 3
Eww wow even I was grimacing a bit at the
test tube
...Think I'll keep watching this.

Most of the time Urabe comes off as completely in control of their relationship, with Tsubaki scrambling to follow along, but then she has those moments like
the end of episode 2
and when she's
happy to see Tsubaki understand her feelings on kissing
which are really effective gap-moe.

The end to ep 3 was perfect.

Today's NicoNico graffiti, from episode 3:
Smd6r.png

frostbyte

In this case, it's a simple case of gaming nerd falls for gaming nerd who's better at games than them, obviously this happens in the real world.

I'll concede that point. But you can't ignore the other elements of wish fulfillment present in this show.

Quite frankly, I've kinda given up on the studio, it seems they're really not interested in adapting serious material. Even Haruhi 2009 seems like a somewhat half-assed effort. Disappearance certainly was great but I'm not sure if that tone is going to be standard moving forward. I wonder if Hyouka is going to try and be a mix of K-ON and a more serious work in regards to the tone and it should be interesting to see the sales of the show and whether KyoAni can succeed. I would also like to see what they have in the pipeline down the road, such as another season of K-ON with the brats at college.

Regarding Haruhi, I think KyoAni tries too hard to achieve that infamous success that spread the original season like wildfire. They utilise methods such as that out-of-airing-order and Endless Eight to attract attention and they certainly succeed. It's just a gamble on whether they're celebrated to the heavens or scorned heavily for their trolling. Of course, this is just an outside observation without any research, so I don't know the politics and motivations behind those interesting methods.

Disappearance was definitely amazing and one would hope they continue that quality in the inevitable next Haruhi season.

Although the first episode of Hyouka didn't impress me with its flamboyant manner of wowing the audience with superficial imagery, I too hope it's going to have a more serious tone than their recent works. Not that I don't like K-ON, but I want them working on something more serious in between their fluffy moe shows.

Them doing FMP isn't really indicative that they're versatile as Fumoffu was a comedy and the OVA that did well was Tessa's light day of doing nothing on the submarine. That said, Disappearance does prove a strong counter-point as it did gangbusters and dealt with heavy material in general. I think that has more to do with the strong brand of Haruhi in general though, even after KyoAni doing the best they can to fuck it up, where people wanted a continuation of the main storyline. I would also say the Key material was heavy in tone and sold extremely well. The studio is very versatile, when it wants to be.

I was referring to FMP: TSR. IIRC, there were plenty of mecha and fight scenes, a far cry for their recent works. The tone was rather grim as well, the part
where Sousuke tries to find himself during the Hong Kong part
stands out to me as a rather dark moment.

I guess I'd agree with your statement that they can be versatile if they want to be. I don't blame them from choosing source material that tend to be less heavy in tone, as that sells extremely well.

I'm a fan of wish fulfillment so I'm glad that anime delivers.
Although personally I'm more into confident protagonists (e.g. Lelouch) than "relatable loser" types.

Wish fulfillment is among one of my disliked tropes. I prefer more confident protagonists too. Haruyuki's just a whinier, self-contemptuous version of Guilty Crown's Shu and Shu isn't exactly a shining example of best male protagonist of the year.

What? Otonashi's was emotional. Naoi, tied with two others for my fave character in the anime.

Eh, whether you think the characters' backstories emotional or not is pretty subjective. For some and understandably so, it's the usual sappy KEY story.

Firemind

Well it really is quite hard to tell when he only writes about bad shows.

*clicks through a few more pages*

He has bad words to say about Apollon, that's not cool.

Still, as he only reviews bad anime, that's not particularly helpful for someone who just wants to know how a particular season is going. You might as well follow this thread if you want to witness endless masochism.

He's never liked a noitamina show before or anything involving romance for that matter. The only romance show I recall he didn't actively dislike was Kimikiss for some reason. At least not until the end where it kind of fell apart. Oh, and Toradora too I suppose. Same reason.

He wrote about good shows such as GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class and liked it. He also wrote about good shows like Mawaru Penguindrum and didn't like it. You don't have to agree with it, and that's what makes discourse interesting, as opposed to indulging yourself with like-minded individuals for the purpose of self-gratification and validation that, yes, you're watching a good show and other people are liking it too.

Nothing against you guys, but if my only source of information regarding the new season were to come from this thread, everything would be swell, anime is saved, Shinbo is a genius. Also, the thread moves way too fast for me to keep up.

Jarmel

Banned
Tsuritama 3

This show is much better than I could have expected. I mean the whole premise of it sounds insanely stupid on paper but the execution of this as a whole is absolutely amazing.

Jex

Although the first episode of Hyouka didn't impress me with its flamboyant manner of wowing the audience with superficial imagery, I too hope it's going to have a more serious tone than their recent works.

What, exactly makes the use of imagery in [Hyouka] -1 superficial?

Jex

Maybe it was just a roundabout way of saying the show was fucking boring.

Well that I can agree with.
He wrote about good shows such as GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class and liked it. He also wrote about good shows like Mawaru Penguindrum and didn't like it.
I must concede that I haven't read many of this fellow's posts, primarily because I didn't think of much the articles that I had been liked to in the past.
You don't have to agree with it, and that's what makes discourse interesting, as opposed to indulging yourself with like-minded individuals for the purpose of self-gratification and validation that, yes, you're watching a good show and other people are liking it too.

Nothing against you guys, but if my only source of information regarding the new season were to come from this thread, everything would be swell, anime is saved, Shinbo is a genius. Also, the thread moves way too fast for me to keep up.

I have absolutely no idea what this thread looks like to an outsider and I certainly wouldn't recommend paying attention to it on a daily basis to keep up with shows of the season. People in the past have, however, asked for advice directly from the participants in this thread and that always generates a wide variety of responses which someone might find useful.

As you mention, you don't keep up with this thread, which I can completely understand, but I feel it's worth pointing out that this thread is anything but a collection of homogeneous opinions. What I tend to hear is that we are fare too critical, nitpicky and introspective. I haven't heard the people in hear be described as overly kind before.

frostbyte

Who said Shinbo was a genius? I only remember Shinbo being called a hack and stealing from the best like Ikuhara and Anno in the last thread.

What, exactly makes the use of imagery in [Hyouka] -1 superficial?

Specifically, the part where
Eru's curiosity is sparked by the mystery and Houtarou becomes entangled around by her hair and flowers

I understand their intent and it brings another level to being intertwined in a mystery, but it's too blatant and gaudy. Just extra eyecandy for no real reason. Not to mention the first episode was plain boring to me.

duckroll

Eru's curiosity is sparked by the mystery and Houtarou becomes entangled around by her hair and flowers

I understand their intent and it brings another level to being intertwined in a mystery, but it's too blatant and gaudy. Just extra eyecandy for no real reason. Not to mention the first episode was plain boring to me.

That's not "superficial" but just lame and bad, imo. :)

Cowboy Beb-, wait no, Monono-, wait no, Mushis-, wait no. Usagi Drop, maybe?

I didn't like it much. Well made, but not my cup of tea.

survivor

Banned

For constant praising, there's Random Curiosity, Star Crossed, Lost in America etc. etc. etc.

For image dumps and memes, go to Kurogane.

For basketball analogies, go to blog好き.

Random Curiosity and blogsuki are the best 2 anime blogs out there. Get you covered really well with what's happening each season and are pretty fun to read.

Jex

I understand their intent and it brings another level to being intertwined in a mystery, but it's too blatant and gaudy. Just extra eyecandy for no real reason.
Well, the reason is exactly the one you stated in your first paragraph. The imagery allows us to grasp an insight into what the character is thinking without clunky (or even fairly good) expository dialogue. It's not quite as exciting as the drowning imagery in Tsuritama but I still approve of it for that very purpose.

If the symbolic imagery was literally pointless, like if they just kept cutting away to a shadowy clown (or something equal random and disconnected from the events taking place) then I would agree with you.
Not to mention the first episode was plain boring to me.
There we go.

frostbyte

Cowboy Beb-, wait no, Monono-, wait no, Mushis-, wait noRevolutionary Girl U-, wait no.

Usagi Drop, maybe? Actually, I think someone called that boring.

AnimeGAF is a picky bunch. Who hated on Mushishi?

That's not "superficial" but just lame and bad, imo. :)

Trying to be a little less inflammatory!
:p

Random Curiosity and blogsuki are the best 2 anime blogs out there. Get you covered really well with what's happening each season and are pretty fun to read.

I find Random Curiosity to be a bit too optimistic. There's some good writers but not enough criticism imo. Maybe I was reading the wrong shows during then. I don't read it nowadays so I don't know how the new bunch of writers are. Their season previews are great though.

I don't read as much anime blogs these days but I used to like Nihon Review, Star Crossed Anime Blog, The Cart Driver, THAT Anime Blog, and Mecha Guignol.

Well, the reason is exactly the one you stated in your first paragraph. The imagery allows us to grasp an insight into what the character is thinking without clunky (or even fairly good) expository dialogue. It's not quite as exciting as the drowning imagery in Tsuritama but I still approve of it for that very purpose.

If the symbolic imagery was literally pointless, like if they just kept cutting away to a shadowy clown (or something equal random and disconnected from the events taking place then I would agree with you.

Is that a reference to Another or some other show?

I get you and Duckroll's point though. Sorry for the wrong usage. I still reserve the right to think it's gaudy though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom