• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

All of this, thank the heavens for dresden, I wonder how some poster even find the strength to post in this thread.

There's no need to be patronising...

It's not unheard of for anime to take the source material and make something completely different out of it, even "completed" source material. The most striking example that comes to mind is Excel Saga, which has no parody elements in the manga (whereas that's the main point of the anime).

While Sankarea was/is clearly following the same plot as the original manga, that's not to say it couldn't have continued to take a different course in its interpretation. Even cosmic had suggested that the tone at the start was different in several ways from the manga rather than a slavish adaptation. So forgive those of us who haven't read the manga for perhaps hoping that the show might stay tonally consistent, rather than suggesting that it's so much effort to post alongside us non-manga peons.

zeroshiki

I agree KyoAni is still the best in every respect production-wise, I was just highlighting that the gulf doesn't appear to be as vast in recent years.

And I was just throwing out some names for some recent stuff I've seen. ufotable with Fate/Zero, Shaft with their usual home video fixes, AIC with Wandering Son and OreImo (screw the haters, the artwork/animation are lovely and quite consistant). I agree Haganai had ugly moments, but overall wasn't fugly either.

Home video fixes aren't a good thing >_>

Jex

on Sankarea

I did try to warn you guyz

....some times I ask myself why, why do I even click on this thread, am not even going start cause I know in the end it's pointless waste of time.

All of this, thank the heavens for dresden, I wonder how some poster even find the strength to post in this thread.

I am familiar with the Sankarea manga. I have compared both openings. While they cover the same story, and even share some of the same shots, they're quite different interpretations. The anime far more time to flesh everything out, it has extra scenes, it has lots of unique imagery and framing and the tone is significantly heavier.

Fate Zero ep 17
tumblr_m37409cwh61r4jpm5o1_500.jpg

After the first half, I thought we would have more action and less talking? The spiral continues down for me. Gilgamesh was really the only highlight
laughing at kirei. What was the point of devoting time to scheming if in the end we get no teams at all and just a death? Waver doesnt get to take part? Really have no feelings for Tokiomi as he was terrible in that previous assault with fire

Ultimadrago

But, man, some of you are some of the most happy-go-lucky fully adult bunch I've had the pleasure to see frolic. Take UltimaDrago. Is there anything he doesn't like? I swear I have never seen him badmouth anything in a serious tone the time I've spent lurking here. ?

What?

No Sengoku Collection?

No Madoka?

No Hyouka?

No Upotte?

No Guilty Crown?

Parts of Requiem from the Darkness? (not so much "badmouth" as a bit of criticism of narrative on that one)

No Bleach?

You must have me mistaken with someone else.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Home video fixes aren't a good thing >_>

I suppose. I guess I probably shouldn't have said them, I did so because they seem to get a lot of hype and sales. My apologies.

What?

No Sengoku Collection?

No Madoka?

No Hyouka?

No Upotte?

No Guilty Crown?

Parts of Requiem from the Darkness?

You must have me mistaken with someone else.

Maybe he's thinking of DTL?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I hope you pause the show half way through to watch a series of adverts before continuing.

Anime is a two-minute showcase of goods and products sandwiched between 12-minute commercials for those products.

Jex

I don't really feel like writing up any impressions so I am glad you did. I mentioned it before (Last episode), but the cinematography of the show has been really enjoyable to see. My only gripe with this episode was the
Someday My Prince Will Come (Such a great song) piano scene, in particular the way that Ritsuko remained so stiff. Now, this might not have been so apparent if it weren't for the very well done way that Kaoru is animated as he plays. He is moving very naturally as he plays the song, but Ritsuko remains stiff as a board. The camera cuts to her from a few different angles, including one where it is just her face....and nothing...she is a robot. It also doesn't help that the way she is sitting, he posture is again very stiff. I know that the way that they animate the characters as they are playing an instrument (I have seen rotoscoping thrown around) is more involved than those who are just there. But it took me out of an otherwise great scene. Even if they had simply made her react to the music as it is being played, have her lean in with interest, do something, that would have changed it significantly.

Two points.

Firstly, you're spot-on when it comes to how music is used in the show. I went back and watched a few sequences a number of times while playing close attention the musical cues. They music doesn't start ahead of the characters, or after the mood has changed, it occurs just as some emotional change is happening with a character. It's perfect timing.

Secondly, in reference to your gripe, I feel that was deliberate.
I believe it was supposed to build suspense as to what her reaction would be.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Posts like this one make me wish we had a repping system.

Do you really want ten red reputation bars alongside a slew of "FUCKING WEEABOO PEDO I HOPE YOU GET CANCER" reputation comments? Keep in mind that this change would apply to all of GAF, not just this thread, hah.

jman2050

I agree KyoAni is still the best in every respect production-wise, I was just highlighting that the gulf doesn't appear to be as vast in recent years.

And I was just throwing out some names for some recent stuff I've seen. ufotable with Fate/Zero, Shaft with their usual home video fixes, AIC with Wandering Son and OreImo (screw the haters, the artwork/animation are lovely and quite consistant). I agree Haganai had ugly moments, but overall wasn't fugly either.

I don't think it's good to undersell just how good KyoAni is at animation. That's their MO after all. The fact that it doesn't seem to matter all that much from a business perspective is a separate issue.

RurouniZel

I don't think it's good to undersell just how good KyoAni is at animation. That's their MO after all. The fact that it doesn't seem to matter all that much from a business perspective is a separate issue.

Oh I agree, KyoAni is still quite above all the other studios. There was a period of time where I only watched KyoAni shows because they were the only studio I felt were worth watching. Their production values are unmatched.

Jex

I guess I can't explain it in any way other than that it's just a weird belief of mine. The opening, ending and next episode previews are part of the show, and I can't skip them because that would be wrong. If I do that, I feel like I haven't truly gotten the full experience of watching a show.

I generally avoid previews all together because I feel they tend to ruin the important moments of the upcoming episode.

frostbyte

I think that is a good interpretation of the scene. Though in my mind, the more likely is that
they didn't want to animate her as well.
:p

:(

lol, that thought never passed my mind.

It could be true :(

I admit I often glance through posts. The consequence is that the most I digest out of this thread are episode reviews done with screencaps and gifs aided by one-liners about characters who are otherwise foreign to non-followers. I must confess I used to do it in the past as well to validate my interests. Rarely does someone review episodes of shows he or she doesn't like. I have zero issues with this. Everyone is allowed to post whatever they like after all.

Pretty sure some people like wonzo put themselves through more pain than necessary to watch things like Yami to Boushi and Eiken. I personally dislike Tsuritama yet I can look past any of my issues with it and still appreciate it. Same thing with Blood-C. It literally tore me up to see the Blood franchise degraded to trolling but I still reviewed it seriously like any other anime.

It does however create the impression that shows have no flaws, or at least the flaws aren't mentioned, because people tend to only focus on the good parts. It could be that some people are not critical and just enjoy the show for what it is. I read posts that people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars for blu-ray boxes, so the show must be good enough to be worth it in their eyes. No judging from me. I know a guy who spent $500 on a Rosario + Vampire box set.

Is there anything inherently wrong with liking a show for what it is? Anime is a pastime for many people (well at least for me), sometimes we watch Nyaruko-san and Acchi Kocchi for the needed catharsis and rejuvenation to our sometimes shit life. and to also refer to a previous discussion, shallow≠bad.

But, man, some of you are some of the most happy-go-lucky fully adult bunch I've had the pleasure to see frolic. Take UltimaDrago. Is there anything he doesn't like? I swear I have never seen him badmouth anything in a serious tone the time I've spent lurking here. Does cajunator watch anything as long as it has preadolescent, sometimes teenage, doe-eyed girls who act cute? Does Jexhius in reality have a shrine devoted to Kirino in his secret basement, with as his most prized possession, a wall-mounted display of Kirino figurines, merchandise and posters?

lol, this was pretty funny.

duckroll

Fate/Zero Episode 17

This is definitely an episode where the story moves forward into the "next phase" of the narrative. Possibly the final phase, given how there are only 8 episodes left. I think it was well made, and there are certain specific parts I'll get into later on in the spoiler zone, but I also felt that this was the first episode in a while which felt artificially stretched. Scenes take longer than they could have, and there are lingering shots in scenes as well as other techniques used to drag the runtime of a smaller number of events into a full episode. The first half of the episode felt well paced, but the second half dragged in a rather obvious way. But even that might be intentionally, something I'll discuss in the spoiler zone.

So it finally happens. After building up the obvious conclusion of Kirei's character arc with Gilgamesh since episode 6, he finally decides to take the step to remove Tokiomi from the equation. I think everyone saw this coming, but what is more interesting is not that he has killed Tokiomi, or that Tokiomi is dead, but rather what this means for Kirei as a character. The change in Kirei's expressions and behavior is probably one of the more interesting and deliberate character development arcs I've seen in animation. Everything from script to character design to animation has been subtly changing since his first interaction with Gilgamesh. To finally see him break into moments of facial expression, and to see him take independant actions in the episodes leading up to this is very fascinating. The payoff for audiences here imo, is seeing Kirei's total release in emotions at the end of the episode, not so much a master being eliminated. Finally seeing him smile and feel "free" to express emotions of his own is both satisfying and also rather creepy. The pacing of the episode seems to also reflect Kirei's hesitation towards finally acting out his intentions, and as such, that could explain the deliberate nature of the slower second half of the episode.

As for Gilgamesh, I think it is also very intriging to see what a seductive bastard he is. Out of all the Servants he is definitely the one with the most arrogance and deviousness, and he's not even afraid to let people know that. If only Tokiomi was more attentive and less trustworthy with regards to his grand plan, he would probably have caught on. It's hard to feel that there is a loss of a character here today, since Tokiomi was hardly a participant as far as the narrative was concerned. So caught up was he in his own world that he was really oblivious to all around him, and it reflected him as a boring and uninterested individual. He will not be missed. I do have to question though, why Gilgamesh would feel so confident and willing to form a contract with Kirei knowing that he has also inherited all his father's Command Spells. That seems to be the one weakness that Gilgamesh has. Does he really feel that Kirei is interesting enough a person to risk this contract? Their relationship should get even more exciting from here on out.

Other than the above comments, there really isn't much else to say about the episode. The other scenes don't really give us much more information that we didn't already know, but it does set up a possible conflict very soon with Team Saber being caught off guard by these developments. Saber's V-MAX looks pretty cool though. The CG work on it is definitely more detailed than the Benz 300SL. Kiritsugu should consider sending the car for an overhaul. :p

Oh, one last comment, that CG camera spin on the stabbing scene was kinda interesting. It was done in a very striking way, which makes it memorable. It also tried to make the scene more "exciting" than it really was, and as Gilgamesh said, it's a pretty boring way to murder someone as it is. Perhaps the scene was intended to reflect Kirei's mindset at that time, where this is the MOST EXCITING THING he has done in his entire life. In that sense I feel it is successful. It's definitely better than the first person moving CG background in Hyouka ep1 anyway! :p :p :p

jman2050

I admit I often glance through posts. The consequence is that the most I digest out of this thread are episode reviews done with screencaps and gifs aided by one-liners about characters who are otherwise foreign to non-followers. I must confess I used to do it in the past as well to validate my interests. Rarely does someone review episodes of shows he or she doesn't like. I have zero issues with this. Everyone is allowed to post whatever they like after all.

It does however create the impression that shows have no flaws, or at least the flaws aren't mentioned, because people tend to only focus on the good parts. It could be that some people are not critical and just enjoy the show for what it is. I read posts that people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars for blu-ray boxes, so the show must be good enough to be worth it in their eyes. No judging from me. I know a guy who spent $500 on a Rosario + Vampire box set.

But, man, some of you are some of the most happy-go-lucky fully adult bunch I've had the pleasure to see frolic. Take UltimaDrago. Is there anything he doesn't like? I swear I have never seen him badmouth anything in a serious tone the time I've spent lurking here. Does cajunator watch anything as long as it has preadolescent, sometimes teenage, doe-eyed girls who act cute? Does Jexhius in reality have a shrine devoted to Kirino in his secret basement, with as his most prized possession, a wall-mounted display of Kirino figurines, merchandise and posters?

You need to familiarize yourself with AnimeGAF more.

What you're describing sounds like the K-on thread more than this one.

RurouniZel

Somebody remind me why duckroll hates Level 5. Was he driven mad by a Professor Layton puzzle?

He just hates Hino because Level 5 had lots of success with what he considers mediocre games. He's taking a liking to the recent Schadenfreude of his work.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I just went to NISA's site to see if they had a date for Nichibros yet, and........when did they license Occult Academy? I'll probably never buy it, but I'm glad to see that it's getting a release.

frostbyte

Fate/Zero Episode 17

Oh, one last comment, that CG camera spin on the stabbing scene was kinda interesting. It was done in a very striking way, which makes it memorable. It also tried to make the scene more "exciting" than it really was, and as Gilgamesh said, it's a pretty boring way to murder someone as it is. Perhaps the scene was intended to reflect Kirei's mindset at that time, where this is the MOST EXCITING THING he has done in his entire life. In that sense I feel it is successful. It's definitely better than the first person moving CG background in Hyouka ep1 anyway! :p :p :p

Good post as usual. There's really not much to discuss as you succinctly cover all the main points :p

Just wanted to add that I think you're right about the
CG camera skill used to make the scene more interesting. It reminds me of the Death Note, where the killings progressively gets more ridiculous to the point where they have to overdramatise it as slashing in the air, not just writing a name in the book. It's for the same purpose: making the scene more exciting and dramatic. Such a boring motion can't convey the thrill and adrenaline unless dramatised like this.

---------------------------------

Tsuritama 3

Haru's still annoying to me. He's kind of like the innocent little kid that keeps on rambling nonsense and when you shout to make him shut up, you immediately feel guilty.

Other than that, good episode. The show is still not my cup of tea but I can still appreciate it.

Eureka Seven AO 3

Not much to say except the Evangelion influence is getting more obvious.
Only children can pilot
, can you be more outright? <_<

The music direction's still as good as ever. Really liking Koji Nakamura and will keep an eye out for him.

Kids on the Slope 3

The misunderstanding is a tad bit overplayed but at least it's pretty much resolved in one episode, which is particularly refreshing for a change of pace from other anime. Looking forward to the next episode.

and I'm wallowing in a puddle of excellent music. I love this season of anime :)

I just went to NISA's site to see if they had a date for Nichibros yet, and........when did they license Occult Academy? I'll probably never buy it, but I'm glad to see that it's getting a release.

Theyve had that since a few months ago, I thing?. Only other thing theyve had dated was Ano hana, still waiting on that and brave 10 dates and preorder to be open.

I am familiar with the Sankarea manga. I have compared both openings. While they cover the same story, and even share some of the same shots, they're quite different interpretations. The anime far more time to flesh everything out, it has extra scenes, it has lots of unique imagery and framing and the tone is significantly heavier.

Some of the Babu stuff is actually taken from more recent chapters in a flashback. It makes sense because the current tone of the manga is actually heavier than the early tone of the anime.

Fate/Zero 17:
That was an intense episode. Kirei really is the best character in the show, and this episode proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. His journey has been amazing to see, and I think this episode really cemented it with
everything that happened. The scene where he stabs Tokiomi was one of the best directed scenes I've seen in a long time. Everything from the character movements, to the music, to Kirei's smirk at the end was incredible. I felt my heart racing during that whole scene. The end to Tokiomi's role in the story was also satisfying. He died the way he lived. Too trusting of the wrong people and so caught up in his own worldview that he couldn't comprehend people acting outside of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next for both Kirei and Gilgamesh, as their evolving relationship is really fun to watch.

I think this was easily one of the best episodes of the series. There were a couple of slower scenes (
the Irisviel car ride comes to mind
), but most of the episode was amazing, and centered around the right characters. I would probably watch a 26 episode series that was just Kirei and Gilgamesh sitting around in that basement talking.

Don't think it was mentioned in here but Usagi Drop got picked up by NISA for a DVD/BD release. Hoorah!

That's awesome (and very unexpected) news. I'm glad more people will get a chance to experience this show.

The first thing that immediately strikes me about this episode is how efficiently they tell a story in 22 minutes. It is truly remarkable to see so many important events covered in a single episode without anything feeling rushed. I really felt all the important emotional moments in the episode were handled very well and they all had time to breathe, despite their being quite a number of them. How did they achieve this? Efficiency.

I agree with this. What impressed me the most about the episode was how they managed to cover so many different emotional beats and story moments without them feeling rushed. It takes rare talent to be able to convey such a broad spectrum of emotion within such a concise amount of time, but Kids on the Slope is managing to take advantage of every second of each episode. This is what makes me convinced that they're going to be able to communicate such an effective story in 11 episodes. They've already covered such a large amount of content and emotion in just three, and the direction has remained excellent throughout. The pacing to this story is quite strong.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Korra no Densetsu 04
NTR ALERT WEEOOO WEEOOO

I think the one thing I really like about this cartoon is that it doesn't feel like a retread of Aang's adventures. Compare it to Saint Seiya Precure where Kouga's issues about being Seiya's successor is a huge focal point and this feels a lot more organic. Korra's transition into Avatarness has very little to do with the original show. The tension for her to be the "saviour of the world" is still present, but it is not an inevitability like Aang's. You can see the pressure is almost self-imposed -if anything, her problem is that she doesn't restrain herself enough.

The direction was much more static than previously (and my God those CGI cars they just won't stop), and it had a few derpy faces here and there. I'm just very grateful that the writers didn't take a shortcut by making Korra an offset of Aang whose coming of age results in her outdoing her predecessor. This is a lot more original.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do you really want ten red reputation bars alongside a slew of "FUCKING WEEABOO PEDO I HOPE YOU GET CANCER" reputation comments? Keep in mind that this change would apply to all of GAF, not just this thread, hah.
I'm sure the positive repping from this thread would be enough to offset the hate!
Somebody remind me why duckroll hates Level 5. Was he driven mad by a Professor Layton puzzle?
He's just mad Level 5 is the new Square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom