• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

I look forward to playing it in 2015.
Mr. Chiyomaru cautious strategy seems to be working... touting a future title from 5pb. GAMES SCIENCE ADVENTURE TEAM aimed to be an international release (probably with help of KONAMI as a distributor and a recognizable figure like Mr. Kojima as support) while don't risking themselves with current titles until there is an adequate interest for their games in general.

gaf I need help.

I remember watching an anime as a kid in china.

I believe it's one of those designed to sell you models.

I recall them being little model cars and the dudes steered them with hockey sticks.
Dash! Yonkuro.

And yet Kill Me Baby probably made the biggest profit despite those sales.
At 0.77 frt (Fractales)?! How is that possible?!

Great sales for the best anime studio. I see nothing wrong here.
But you said that was XEBEC! They need your backing here.

wonzo

Banned
fantastic avatar Westlo :claps:

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 2

duskm2.jpg
duskm2a.jpg
duskm2b.jpg

Wow, why the fuck wasn't this the first episode? This was not only much better than the last ep but it would have made the perfect introductory episode instead of the pile of shit we got instead.

Soma

Paprika

IElHv.jpg

This was... definitely one of the more visually interesting things I've watched. It's been a while since a film has had me in such deep thought that I've been waiting a while since i've finished it to let it all marinate in my mind a bit. Even at this time I'm still unsure what to think of everything.

I know there's some drawn out meme in these threads incessantly comparing Paprika to Inception and I don't feel like opening up that can of worms.

Instead I will say that even though I enjoyed the film, it left me feeling a bit... empty. I'm not sure how to describe it just yet so I'll start with the visual/art standpoint. On the aesthetic side, the film is stunning. Satoshi Kon seemed to have a knack for juxtaposing these bright, uplifting imagery with unsettling, disturbing concepts behind them. I think Paranoia Agent and instances of Perfect Blue had examples of that. This made for something that was both very nice to watch and also very intense at the same time. The music (which I thought was great) definitely played a hand in that.

The ending felt so rushed though. The premise was great. I literally got chills when they introduced their concept of dreaming due to the fact that I've been writing a story revolving around lucid dreaming (some of KatawaGAF may be familiar with it) and from the start of the film I had high hopes for the plot. The film had a strong introduction but unfortunately as the film went on, the plot just became more and more disorienting until the film reached it's climax which just felt... disappointing. I thought the characterization was fairly weak with Konakawa being the only interesting character in the movie. The "romance" felt really forced and the 'villain' was pretty boring.

Overall, I really wanted this to be one of my favorite anime films ever but unfortunately it ended up not even being my favorite Satoshi Kon film (Perfect Blue still reigns supreme there). The imaginative world that Kon created is definitely something to behold and it probably ranks up there with GitS 2: Innocence as one of my favorite looking films.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Full DVD/BD sales data for April 23-29:

Blu-ray
*1, 50,160 50,160 Nisemonogatari vol.1 Limited Edition
*2, 18,747 18,747 Persona 4 The Animation vol.6 Limited Edition
*3, *7,570 *7,570 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.4
*4, *7,063 *7,063 Working'!! vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *6,844 *6,844 Highschool DxD vol.2
*6, *6,674 *6,674 Aquarion Evol vol.1
*7, *5,824 *5,824 Ano Natsu de Matteru vol.2 Limited Edition
*8, *5,608 *5,608 Inu x Boku SS vol.2 Limited Edition
*9, *5,602 *5,602 The iDOLM@STER vol.7 Limited Edition
10, *5,538 *5,538 Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA
11, *5,489 *5,489 Guilty Crown vol.4 Limited Edition
12, *4,847 *4,847 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi vol.3 Limited Edition
13, *3,979 *3,979 Mawaru Penguindrum vol.7 Limited Edition
14, *3,675 *3,675 Tamayura: Hitotose vol.5
15, *3,662 19,650 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.5 Limited Edition
16, *3,542 *3,542 Senki Zesshou Symphogear vol.2 Limited Edition

Bwahahahaha. Nice.

Less than Guilty Crown, Penguindrum?

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 2

Wow, why the fuck wasn't this the first episode? This was not only much better than the last ep but it would have made the perfect introductory episode instead of the pile of shit we got instead.

It's really hard to explain that first episode.

/XX/

The budget of the show was a packet of custard creams. One DVD sale was enough to make a profit.
I don't know if they sell those on Japan so, if they had to import a packet... that was actually pretty generous of the show's producers!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know if they sell those on Japan so, if they had to import a packet... that was actually pretty generous of the show's producers!

Well it helps to explain how they managed to get the best OP and ED of the session.

Natsume Yuujinchou as a whole is really good. I just finished Natsume Yuujinchou San, now I'm moving on to Shi. The stories and character development is so, so good. It's basically a brighter and more lighthearted version of Mushishi. Mushishi is amazing, too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

So. Much. Rage!

Mayonnaise on my Chichis! 12

Come the fuck on, you are not even being subtle about the censorship! I understand you gotta sell Blu-Rays but this is ridiculous.

I liked this show more when it was about the harem and not about the silly romance plot. That's the problem with these haremshit cartoons: they don't realise that nobody gives two fucks if the pathetic male lead ends up with the best girl, they just wanna see the wacky hijinx.
Or, in this case, not letting Konoe be the girl she always wanted to be. What a retarded lesson.

But don't you see? All girls should hide their gender from everyone except the one man they love so that there's no competition! Duh! /sarcasm Yeah, it's pretty stupid all around and the show was much better without the ending drama. >>;

LOLOLOLOL!

Edit: Also my friend sent me a picture of the cover of that book, for the curious. Apparently the book supports AR too on iPhone. Madness!

cajunator

Banned
hating nyaruko is like hating anime.

This is true :(

Taisho Baseball Girls 04

Man I love this show.

Good! spread the love!

Man I feel like I'm the only one who liked the first episode of Dusk Maiden.

I totally understand how it'd piss a lot of people off though. It's a very risky approach especially when trying to make a decent impression for a first episode.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37427590&postcount=6909 ;)

X6guo.jpg

Fuck Yeah de geso.

As I've said before, cute character, awful looking car.

Brazil

Zetman 5

What the hell is this? Hahaha.

That was a pretty tame episode. No action, a couple of introductions... But I guess next week's will be good, with
Kouga finally fighting.

Why is every single arc about kidnapped/endangered women, though?

Kagami

They attempted to give us 2 different perspectives, one with the ghost visible and one without, but the manner in which they did it felt like pure laziness and came off shitty.
I'm one of the people who didn't mind that at all.
The very beginning part before Teiichi showed up could have been abbreviated, but once he got there, hearing the full version of their interaction was funny.

I got bored of the show as a whole later, though. (stopped after ep 3)

Brazil

They attempted to give us 2 different perspectives, one with the ghost visible and one without, but the manner in which they did it felt like pure laziness and came off shitty.

I said "explain", but I probably meant "justify".

Grzi

According to MAL, this is the 500th anime I've completed...

Angel's Egg

Really interesting movie. I think one of the issues I had with Innocence is that it was a philosophical movie that pretended it was also an action film and a mystery, but I didn't think it mixed all that well. Here there's no false hook and it's exactly what it wants to be.

Link your MAL profile please :D

-Minsc-

Space Bros. the 5th.

The future, where old timers rock out on their porch listening to Black Sabbath. This will be (likely already is) strangely true.

SpaceBrosOzzy.png

As for the lack of english, it's the future. Everyone has universal translators. Star Trek taught me that. (Everyone speaking Japanese is not different than everyone speaking English in a foreign country on an American show. You know they are not speaking your language. Personally I'm glad we were spared the engrish.)

Edit:

BTW, was I the only one who thought Mrs. Smith looked like Bill Clinton when they first saw her?

frostbyte

Grad school and being a travelling composer are happy fun times, yay! Last week I had three concerts with my music in it and a reading/recording session.

Sounds like you're really busy. Hope you can hang around here for some time at least though :)

So many seasons...

I desire to be caught up by that time.

/onSeason1Episode5

can you fit in that much wideface in such a short time? :p

Holy shit.

wvjwq.jpg

that's pretty...impressive.

Saki Achiga-hen: Episode of Side-A 4 - Hmm, interesting. So, for the most part, this episode continues to be a fairly close adaptation of the manga... except, they added a few things. Yeah, there are some new bits here. They also tossed in a scene or two from the main Saki manga, most notably that bath scene with Nodoka, Yuki, and the girl from Kazekoshi. Oh, that laundry room scene with Kyoutarou and Saki was new -- that's not from the Saki manga, and the Achiga manga doesn't have Kiyosumi scenes in it.

Yeah, I thought that scene was strangely out of place. I don't really see the point though, except for nostalgia.

Also, finally, we got to see a bit of an actual mahjong match in Achiga-hen! It's been too long, and this one was short, but at least it was something... nice to see Kuro winning, and some of the imagery, like the stuff with the dragons, was pretty cool stuff. :) It is unfortunate that the next three rounds were entirely skipped over, and all we saw of Shizuno's round was her winning hand, though. I know that in Saki's regional tournament's first round a lot was skipped over, but not quite that much. It's really unfortunate how much they have to rush this series in order to fit it into 12-13 episodes. :(

If only this was a 2-cour show.

They could fit in more characterisation to make the characters more three-dimensional and full of personality. and also not have to skip so many rounds. The skipping really annoys me :(

Overall, good episode. This show isn't quite as good as the original Saki series, because of the rushed pace, reduced amount of mahjong so far, and slightly less great cast (I mean, Achiga's great, just not quite AS great), but even so, it's a pretty good series, and a fine sequel on most fronts. But yeah, this IS a sequel, for sure -- watch this, but watch the first Saki anime first. From this episode on, people who haven't seen the original series will definitely be confused.

Yeah, Achiga-hen's decent but it's just an inferior Saki from top to bottom. Less substantial characters, less mahjong, less plot time. I'm still grateful and enjoy the fact that we still have Saki, even if it's as a spin-off but the issues are still so glaring.

Oh Kanna, why are you so adorable! <3

I know, she's so cute <3 <3 <3

She really is too good for the Ano Natsu and the stupid main pair :(

Oh Kanna, why are you so adorable! <3

Paprika -snip-

Indeed, I really liked it a lot at the beginning. It had an intriguing premise and it seemed to have a lot of potential. I'm still not sure why, but it started to get convoluted for its own sake and collapsed during the tail end. The visuals are certainly impressive, very vibrant and stunning, and I love the Satoshi Kon's general visual direction of the movie. Disappointing but I still like Paprika overall.

Personally, Millennium Actress is my favourite Satoshi Kon work, with Perfect Blue a very close second. Still haven't watched Paranoia Agent despite Satoshi Kon being one of my favourite directors but I plan to remedy that soon.

cajunator

Banned
Sounds like you're really busy. Hope you can hang around here for some time at least though :)

Personally, Millennium Actress is my favourite Satoshi Kon work, with Perfect Blue a very close second. Still haven't watched Paranoia Agent despite Satoshi Kon being one of my favourite directors but I plan to remedy that soon.

Lol. she's so cute you replied to him twice.

Also, Millennium Actress is indeed my favorite Satoshi Kon work as well. God I LOVE that movie. I have seen it so many times. also, yes you need to watch Paranoia Agent. Maromi is watching you.

Articalys

Also my friend sent me a picture of the cover of that book, for the curious. Apparently the book supports AR too on iPhone. Madness!
Wait a minute -- that cover implies that Ken, Yumi, and Lucy are characters throughout the book, not just in that one chapter.

We must acquire this book.

frostbyte

Lol. she's so cute you replied to him twice.

Also, Millennium Actress is indeed my favorite Satoshi Kon work as well. God I LOVE that movie. I have seen it so many times. also, yes you need to watch Paranoia Agent. Maromi is watching you.

ooh, i'm so bad with computers sometimes.

well, kanna's really cute so i'll leave it in :p

Yes, Millennium Actress is just so good. I can never get tired of it. Just blows my mind every time I watch it.

Bumping Paranoia Agent up the backlog. I really need to find some time and just marathon it in one shot. It's really shameful I still haven't watched it. :(

cajunator

Banned
ooh, i'm so bad with computers sometimes.

well, kanna's really cute so i'll leave it in :p

Yes, Millennium Actress is just so good. I can never get tired of it. Just blows my mind every time I watch it.

Bumping Paranoia Agent up the backlog. I really need to find some time and just marathon it in one shot. It's really shameful I still haven't watched it. :(

Yes you should marathon it. Its a short series, and its rewarding.

The ending might be a bit too bizarre. Just depends on what youre looking for in the show.

Phi Brain S2 4

Time to put this on hold and wait for enough episodes to watch back to back.
So now everyone of those assholes
knew Kaito?
That feels a bit... unreasonable to accept for me.

You'd wait the 20 weeks to get this to finish? I imagine it is because they are
children of the phi brain too, they were at the same institute as him and Rook?

Relevant to noitaminA and Steins;Gate fans:

xVr2z.jpg

Looks good.

Pretty glad they actually have characters with actual cool and good designs. Already a bit more compelling than Steins;Gate.

Temporal DVD + Blu-ray Sales Rankings for Winter 2012

*5, *8,677 Aquarion Evol
*7, *7,639 New Prince of Tennis
*8, *6,472 Mouretsu Pirates
*9, *5,098 Senki Zesshou Symphogear
10, *4,973 Brave 10
13, *3,694 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
14, *3,089 Rinne no Lagrange
15, *2,573 Another

Pretty terrible that an anime that was essentially a training arc is doing better than Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou or Another.

Full DVD/BD sales data for April 23-29:

Blu-ray
*2, 18,747 18,747 Persona 4 The Animation vol.6 Limited Edition
*6, *6,674 *6,674 Aquarion Evol vol.1
11, *5,489 *5,489 Guilty Crown vol.4 Limited Edition
13, *3,979 *3,979 Mawaru Penguindrum vol.7 Limited Edition
15, *3,662 19,650 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.5 Limited Edition
16, *3,542 *3,542 Senki Zesshou Symphogear vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 12,918 *,*12,918 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Limited Edition
*7, *2,786 *,**2,786 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *2,456 *,**2,456 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Standard Edition
11, *2,212 *,**2,212 Bleach Gotei 13 Tai Shingun Hen vol.3
13, *2,003 *,**2,003 Aquarion Evol vol.1
15, *1,674 *,**1,674 Brave 10 vol.2
16, *1,671 *,**1,671 Guilty Crown vol.4 Limited Edition
17, *1,668 *,**6,438 New Prince of Tennis vol.1
21, **,946 *,***,946 Kimi to Boku. vol.5 Limited Edition
28, **,717 *,***,717 Senki Zesshou Symphogear vol.2 Limited Edition

Why didnt they release Naruto movie 5 on Blu ray, odd. I didnt know Bleach ever charted sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom