• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Goddamnit! I knew it! Time to report him to the MIB.

RyELC.jpg

You saw nothing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'll say that people hype shows way too much because of the staff that is involved. Every season there is some show people will wet their pants over because of the people involved and it will inevitably disappoint. I remember how people in here were acting like Saint Seiya Omega couldn't be anything but amazing.
How are you SUPPOSE to hype shows without anything but staff or combination of staff + premise to lead you? if it dissapoints in case of [C] so what, dosen't change the fact that hyping something based on STAFF is the most logical way to do things.

Be prepared for a huge change in tone that really hurts the show soon!

That was pretty much the episode where it happens though. I was kind of disappointed that there was no meltdown in those impressions.

Oh, the shift from battling to girls and some guys doing random things? I didn't even noticed that.

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 08
Too lazy to pick an image.
It was funny I guess. Run through all the seen girls and then some and insult them til something breaks. Sure, there's no plot or real focus and we had to kill time with trailers and parts of movies that will never be seen, but it was somewhat amusing.

As for the shift, I guess if I was invested in the story line or whatever drama is going on, I wouldn't like the sudden shift. But, I'm ok with more fairy tales and silly randomness going on.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oh, the shift from battling to girls and some guys doing random things? I didn't even noticed that.

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 08
Too lazy to pick an image.
It was funny I guess. Run through all the seen girls and then some and insult them til something breaks. Sure, there's no plot or real focus and we had to kill time with trailers and parts of movies that will never be seen, but it was somewhat amusing.

As for the shift, I guess if I was invested in the story line or whatever drama is going on, I wouldn't like the sudden shift. But, I'm ok with more fairy tales and silly randomness going on.

so you didn't notice
the rape background story for her?

cajunator

Banned
Maybe it's the NC-17 version of Korean fan death.... from the 70s. Banned in most countries!

Well, I mean look at how fans used to be!
Vintage-Electric-Fans-AA0706-de.jpg

It is. As a resident of the south, I promise you that using electric fans is not hazardous to your health or I would have been dead years ago. It is an essential part of living here.
Unless you want to sleep in a room like a sauna.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

It is. As a resident of the south, I promise you that using electric fans is not hazardous to your health or I would have been dead years ago. It is an essential part of living here.

I always thought about sticking a finger in there and seeing what would happen when I was little.

In the end I just used a stick instead.

Dresden

The myth of fan death is basically perpetuated by the government.
Beware of Summer Hazards!

The Korea Consumer Protection Board (KCPB) issued a consumer safety alert after analyzing injury data related to summer accidents collected for the past three years through its Consumer Injury Surveillance System (CISS).

The top five recurring accidents are ▲ asphyxiation from electric fans and air conditioners ▲ children’s asphyxiation inside cars ▲ explosions inside cars ▲ air conditioner explosions and ▲ sanitary accidents at home.

■ Doors should be left open when sleeping with the electric fan or air conditioner turned on

If bodies are exposed to electric fans or air conditioners for too long, it causes bodies to lose water and hypothermia. If directly in contact with a fan, this could lead to death from increase of carbon dioxide saturation concentration and decrease of oxygen concentration. The risks are higher for the elderly and patients with respiratory problems.

From 2003~2005, a total of 20 cases were reported through the CISS involving asphyxiations caused by leaving electric fans and air conditioners on while sleeping. To prevent asphyxiation, timers should be set, wind direction should be rotated and doors should be left open.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think enjoying something "ironically" makes sense if your source of enjoyment was unintended by the creators. Like people who watch super serious shows/movies to laugh at the hammy acting and poor writing.

It gets misused a lot, though. Mostly, as Envelope said, to justify liking shows that you feel you shouldn't.

I think that this is a fair statement. Many of us simply try to dissociate ourselves with the concept of doing anything ironically due to the recent negative association with hipster culture, where doing something ironically is often a self-indulgent expression of contempt or smug superiority. Upper middle-class kids wearing shabby clothing, drinking cheap beer, or engaging in working-class social activities are common examples because they're all done as a mockery of what they emulate. The AnimeGAF parallel to this would probably be a shounen-hater deciding to marathon Naruto out of active dislike for the genre with the expectation that they'll eviscerate every episode and generally make the marathon about how much they personally hate the show and how much better the things that they like are.

When people watch things like Yami, there's no attempt to prove anything or generally draw attention to the irony of watching a show that's beneath their status as a critical viewer. They watch these shows because they want to enjoy them and because they accept the concept of "so bad it's good" as a valid kind of humor. Because they're still deriving enjoyment from something for the opposite reason intended by the creators this certainly falls under the definition of watching something ironically, but it's purely good-intentioned and shouldn't be confused with the negative kind of ironic behavior that many are more familiar with.

so you didn't notice
the rape background story for her?

Oh that? Didn't even really gave it a second thought.

I mean I guess it's quite different from pretty much everyone else's background. Depends on how much they'll spend on it though. I mean, it was brought up for two episodes or so and promptly dropped.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oh that? Didn't even really gave it a second thought.

I mean I guess it's quite different from pretty much everyone else's background. Depends on how much they'll spend on it though. I mean, it was brought up for two episodes or so and promptly dropped.

It totally messes up the atmosphere of the show,
they don't handle it and it's implications well at all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think that this is a fair statement. Many of us simply try to dissociate ourselves with the concept of doing anything ironically due to the recent negative association with hipster culture, where doing something ironically is often a self-indulgent expression of contempt or smug superiority. Upper middle-class kids wearing shabby clothing, drinking cheap beer, or engaging in working-class social activities are common examples because they're all done as a mockery of what they emulate. The AnimeGAF parallel to this would probably be a shounen-hater deciding to marathon Naruto out of active dislike for the genre with the expectation that they'll eviscerate every episode and generally make the marathon about how much they personally hate the show and how much better the things that they like are.

When people watch things like Yami, there's no attempt to prove anything or generally draw attention to the irony of watching a show that's beneath their status as a critical viewer. They watch these shows because they want to enjoy them and because they accept the concept of "so bad it's good" as a valid kind of humor. Because they're still deriving enjoyment from something for the opposite reason intended by the creators this certainly falls under the definition of watching something ironically, but it's purely good-intentioned and shouldn't be confused with the negative kind of ironic behavior that many are more familiar with.

Right, it's not that your enjoyment itself is ironic, but it's derived in an ironic way. But going back to the Nyaruko example, that still doesn't fit that particular case, because people's enjoyment of it comes exactly the way the creators intended.

cajunator

Banned

This is ridiculous. air conditioner explosions? in-car explosions? What the fuck are Koreans doing? Also I kind of want to go to Korea, setup a bunch of fans in a room and go to sleep and freak people out.

I watched Yami because I wanted to experience yuri and pain. but I ended up getting Yuri and pleasure from it. Its such a fun show. Lilith is so cute too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

<3

cajunator

Banned
Also what does "beneath status as a critical viewer" mean?

It makes it sound like some shows are unworthy to be enjoyed by anyone. But there are fans of everything. EVERYTHING.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

It makes it sound like some shows are unworthy to be enjoyed by anyone. But there are fans of everything. EVERYTHING.

But many people do think that way! They'll say, "Sure, I might have enjoyed xyz, but it's not like it was actually good or anything."

So basically, they're being tsundere. :)

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Replace "critical" with "discerning", that should probably make the meaning more clear. Not everyone here may be critical, but they do have personal standards regarding what they do and don't watch.

It totally messes up the atmosphere of the show,
they don't handle it and it's implications well at all.

That's pretty much true. It was like a point in the story and completely forgotten by the next episode. It doesn't really look like we'll actually return back it to either.

Thoraxes

The future:

TS2CF.gif

Branduil

No I'm pretty sure it's you:

You claimed games can't have auteurs because they're not art. This doesn't really make any sense unless you're discriminating against games on the basis of their collaborative nature, but films are also a collaborative media, so your argument was self-defeating. I shouldn't have had to explain this.

cajunator

Banned
But many people do think that way! They'll say, "Sure, I might have enjoyed xyz, but it's not like it was actually good or anything."

So basically, they're being tsundere. :)

I see shows like that as "good" in that they entertained me, not qualitywise. Is that what you're talking about? Obviously a show like Yami isnt made with high production values as far as I can tell, but it is stupidly fun to watch. In a way I enjoy it more than much better crafted shows.

Replace "critical" with "discerning", that should probably make the meaning more clear. Not everyone here may be critical, but they do have personal standards regarding what they do and don't watch.

I suppose you're right. even I have "standards" though not many. Pretty much I just don't watch something if its boring. It can insult my intelligence, have awful art, and be written like a fifth grader, but Ill watch it if its fun.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You claimed games can't have auteurs because they're not art. This doesn't really make any sense unless you're discriminating against games on the basis of their collaborative nature, but films are also a collaborative media, so your argument was self-defeating. I shouldn't have had to explain this.
It's nothing to do with their collaborative nature. Games are not art -- they are games. Is basketball art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom