• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
My view is that if the creator of something intended for it to be art, it's art. I've never seen a reason to claim otherwise except pointless snobbery.

I mean there's some stuff where I think a little snobbery is acceptable.

You wouldn't be the first.

Jesus. I mean I was joking around mostly. I can kinda see the argument but man sometimes I think there needs to be a line drawn. If I banged my fist against the wall in an absolutely random pattern and tried to call it music, I would hope I would get laughed at.

Thoraxes

The level of pretentiousness?

Essentially.

The more you get into a field, the higher you hold yourself compared to shoobies. I'm pretty deep in the "Music Fine Arts" world right now, and the amount of elitists and snooty people are ridiculous. I feel like such a commoner (in attitude though, not my craft) amongst some of the characters I meet on a day-to-day basis.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jesus. I mean I was joking around mostly. I can kinda see the argument but man.

Remember: if you're not shocking or disgusting someone with your art, you're not trying hard enough.

therefore pizzaroll's hatred is the ultimate proof that Suda51 is a gaming auteur

Risette

A Good Citizen
Remember: if you're not shocking or disgusting someone with your art, you're not trying hard enough.

therefore pizzaroll's hatred is the ultimate proof that Suda51 is a gaming auteur
I don't hate him because he's shocking and disgusting. I hate him because his games are bad.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't hate him because he's shocking and disgusting. I hate him because his games are bad.

This is one of those cases where I can see this point of view but don't care because I'm killing people with a lightsaber. Suda's games are based on stupid things such as having people 'taste your big boner'. I don't think people go in expecting to play a good game but rather have a fun juvenile experience.

Jarmel

Banned
Or maybe he simply paid money for them, and they turned out to be shit. I would be pretty mad if I paid money for shit too.

I could see someone going into Shadows expecting good game mechanics because Mikami worked on it but the other games I think a person knows what they're going into. I mean I highly doubt people are going to buy Lollipop for the graphics or gameplay mechanics but rather the quirkiness of the game as a whole.

They are pretty poorly designed.
Perhaps they are. I won't put him on a pedestal, but I've enjoyed the games of his that I have played.
They are interesting concepts marred by some very low production values. Not to mention his sense of humour is very difficult to get.
I won't disagree there.
I could see someone going into Shadows expecting good game mechanics because Mikami worked on it but the other games I think a person knows what they're going into. I mean I highly doubt people are going to buy Lollipop for the graphics or gameplay mechanics but rather the quirkiness of the game as a whole.
I'm not hyped for Lollipop Chainsaw, partly because he isn't directing it. If I hear good things about the gameplay and overall experience, I might get it.

Eureka Seven New Order(aka Episode 51)

So first off this this actually isn't a true 51st episode as it's an alternative ending to the original series. It's something that Bones had worked on that was supposed to be the original ending to the series that they decided to scrap. Probably for good reason and this is depressing as fuck. The new content is only in audio format and while they've attached video to it, it's not in sync and my understanding is the video content is just stuff from the original series. It's pretty much a way for the VAs to show off and show off they do. The fight between Anemone and Eureka is amazing(audio only). I wouldn't be surprised if they were crying for real in the recording studio.

It's mainly from Eureka's point of view but obviously it goes into the other character's point of view. It does explain the 7 from the title something that the original series toyed on but didn't really discuss. It's pretty much Eureka leaving to collect/drop off seven balls of light and leaves Renton saying we'll meet again someday. It's really not something anyone should watch unless they have to see everything E7 related or curious about original drafts for Bones's endings. In order for it to make sense they would have to revise more than the last episode, probably a few before it(mainly 49 and possibly 48) as well but you can get a general sense of what road they were planning on going down.

It's amazing how endings affect a person's perception of a series. I wonder if this was how it ended whether people would have viewed the story as a tragedy. Two star-struck lovers that are destined to never be together compared to the TTGL-type ending we got(not the actual TTGL ending but more the premise of the show).

There is also the slight possibility that this might be setup for AO as it would separate Eureka and Renton. They've avoided saying whether or not it's canon but it pretty much isn't unless proven otherwise. They supposedly have been airing it in prep for AO but I think that's more to drive up hype and remind fans why they like the series rather than to show actual background info.

I was mainly curious about the work as fans have talked about it for years and I love a good 'what-if' scenario.

Also holy Jesus if AO can reach this point, I'll have my pants off:
ieFgIbylMSEYu.gif

The seven in Eureka Seven also refers to the seven penitential psalms, which deal with sorrow and hope. They were made into musical scores, fitting another theme in the show.

duckroll

These days? Absolutely. But back in the days of Michigan and Killer 7? No way. There was definitely a period where Suda51 was viewed as some sort of artistic indie genius by some people, including several magazines. These days everyone knows he's just a trashy B-game producer.

These days? Absolutely. But back in the days of Michigan and Killer 7? No way. There was definitely a period where Suda51 was viewed as some sort of artistic indie genius by some people, including several magazines. These days everyone knows he's just a trashy B-game producer.
Seeing as how he hasn't actually directed anything since No More Heroes, he is pretty much just a producer these days. :\
I guess to keep it slightly anime-related, are visual novels art?
Sure, I'd consider them art.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand 4

Ugly CG cars should all get what they deserve.

I wonder if the statistics about guns Koko mentioned in this episode are real.

Another good, entertaining episode. The action scenes are shallow, so it seems I enjoy the episodes in which they talk more than shoot better.
Both sniper kills were great, though. I like the way they treat death.

Theonik

On the subject of art, what about interactive art? That's actually... art. I don't think anyone argues that it isn't. So is that different from interactive mediums being considered art? Food for thought.
This would rely on first defining what art is which is rather hard to do especially with how blurred everything has become with modern art and all. To me interactive art relies too much on the user's involvement to be completely analogous to say a painting, so I would place the line to lie between whether the material in question is closer to be an expressive medium for the user or the artist. If it's closer to the later then it's art, if to the former it's a tool.

Jarmel

Banned
The seven in Eureka Seven also refers to the seven penitential psalms, which deal with sorrow and hope. They were made into musical scores, fitting another theme in the show.

There's a few running theories. One is that it has to do with the Seventh Swell, another is that it has to do with seven balls of light you can see near the ending(I personally don't remember seeing this but someone did). Seven also has symbolism in magic and could be a reference to The Golden Bough.

Not that anybody bought those games.
Hohohoho
Yea EatChildren still raves about Killer 7 and I do know a few posters that like his GC work. I think his direction though made itself clear with NMH and the sequel confirmed it.

cajunator

Banned
Jormungand 4

Ugly CG cars should all get what they deserve.

I wonder if the statistics about guns Koko mentioned in this episode are real.

Another good, entertaining episode. The action scenes are shallow, so it seems I enjoy the episodes in which they talk more than shoot better.
Both sniper kills
were great, though. I like the way they treat

death.
Those cars look highly accurate. Hardly what I'd label "poor cg".

Jarmel

Banned
Accuracy is not the only thing CGI needs to be worried about.

Well to be fair, when you're trying to recreate a real life object, accuracy is the primary concern. The thing though is that accuracy composes of more than just the mechanical components but also how accurate it looks to either the real thing in regards to texture work or the stylized work into which it's being inserted.

I also fucking hate this forum for pointing out things such as CG cars. Now I see them everywhere and it pisses me off. Ignorance is bliss.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seeing as how he hasn't actually directed anything since No More Heroes, he is pretty much just a producer these days. :\

Although this could just be coincidence, the original NMH was the last Grasshopper game that I enjoyed. Hated Desperate Struggle, hated Shadows of the Damned, and I have no idea why I've preordered Lollipop Chainsaw. I think that I just hate myself.

Although this could just be coincidence, the original NMH was the last Grasshopper game that I enjoyed. Hated Desperate Struggle, hated Shadows of the Damned, and I have no idea why I've preordered Lollipop Chainsaw. I think that I just hate myself.
I enjoyed Desperate Struggle, though it was definitely weaker than its predecessor. Haven't played Shadows of the Damned yet, though.

There's a few running theories. One is that it has to do with the Seventh Swell, another is that it has to do with seven balls of light you can see near the ending(I personally don't remember seeing this but someone did). Seven also has symbolism in magic and could be a reference to The Golden Bough.

Yep.

The seven balls of light are present in the last op as well. I'm glad they went the TTGL-esque ending.

E7 manga spoilers
The manga adaption uses the time skip idea at the end, but the manga is considerably darker in tone and direction.

Jintor

I guess to keep it slightly anime-related, are visual novels art?

My definition of art is nonsensically broad so yes

Though personally it would be art anyway. Katawa Shoujo is one of the most 'artistic' games ever made... in that it was made purely to have a thing.

Makoto

Space Brothers 5

+The OST for this show will probably become my favorite of the season. The main theme is incredible and evokes similar feelings like Chihayafuru's.

-(Sorry for bringing up this "nitpick" again but) Are they at least utilizing some type of foreigner-accent when Americans are speaking Japanese? Very much like the American version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo where everyone is supposed to be Swedish but they're speaking English with Swedish accents to indicate to the audience that they're speaking "Swedish" but not really. I'm not too good with Japanese accents so I don't know if a similar thing is happening on this show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I come in here and there's an art argument now. Jeez.

If you want to see how silly the world of art is just look up the works of Gilbert and George called "Thirst" and "Hunger". I'm not posting them because they are NSFW as a lot of gallery art is.

Articalys

I have no idea what the hell is going on here over the last 500 posts or so, but since I'm incapable of being able to participate in a critical discussion, I'll just post this (which I don't think was posted here before), the contents of NISA's Usagi Drop release.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I have no idea what the hell is going on here over the last 500 posts or so, but since I'm incapable of being able to participate in a critical discussion, I'll just post this (which I don't think was posted here before), the contents of NISA's Usagi Drop release.

I don't know what any of that extra stuff is, but it sure looks nice!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pandora Hearts 1-25

Gosh... what a horrible anime. Pacing of the episode was bad and the animation was just bland. It really sucks cuz the manga is infinitely better and so well-paced compared to the slowness of the show. At least the music was phenomenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom