• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - 05

Really liked this one; biggest problem was that I thought the pacing of the episode was a bit too fast. The part with the giant axe golems and the explosive bullets gave me a big "WTF!?" moment the first time I saw it; had to watch that part again. Really liked Lupin and Jigen's interactions with one another and the whole peacock thing as well.

wonzo

Banned
Recorder and Ransel 18

recorder18.jpg
recorder18a.jpg

Well, that explains some things...

cajunator

Banned
Best Student Council 01

nA8LW.jpg

Not sure what to think after the first episode. The back and forth dialogue between Rino and her puppet Pu-chan annoyed the hell outta me. And the fact that said puppet
is the one who takes down the arsonist culprit was just dumb. lol
Most of the character's introductions were irrelevant as they didn't do a damn thing as they watched
a damn puppet take care of their problem.
Might as well have saved their introductions for the next episode when Rino gets a formal welcome into the student council.

I'll continue onward with this in hopes I'll be rewarded with some sort of yuri goodness.

Oh shit. I bought this show on a whim a couple months ago. I guess ill check out a few episodes soon !

Medaka Bocks 2-4

2Axl8.jpg

Uhhhh

Yeah.

Think I'm gonna drop this one. I really wanted to like it. I even gave it one more episode than the usual "three episode rule". But man, it's just so boring. At least Hyouka has godlike production values and amazing attention to detail to alleviate the dullness. I thought the first episode was decent but it just hasn't held up for me. There's some funny moments don't get me wrong but those are far and few between imo. I'm honestly pretty lenient when it comes to how i view anime as well. I wanted to be in the "it gets better!" crowd but at 1/3 of the way done with this (assuming it's still 12 eps total) ...I dunno. Finding it really hard to keep myself interested in this.

Shiranui is pretty great I have to admit though.

uCsGF.gif

The manga actually sounds pretty interesting (especially that Kumagawa character) so I may consider checking that out one day.

Shiranui really is the sole reason to watch Medaka box.

Medaka Box - 05

IskF9.jpg

l2Avn.jpg

ckv9n.gif

There, now no-one has a reason to watch this episode.

More proof.

Medaka 05[/B]

Something something something. Swimsuits.

ihPD9Lwc2qKNf.gif

iuI1dqzHi2gaB.gif

ib1bqQg7mdcG7i.gif

Heartcatch Precure 47-end

Mc5Sy.jpg

Pretty sure that's not how space works, Tsubomi.

Alright, these last few episodes have definitely been quality. Some very nice choreography, actual drama with consequences, a relatively intimidating villain, and space! While I do personally think it was still full of wasted potential (particularly with the
Infinity Silhouette
) there was still a level of intensity that I was hoping for.

Overall though, I really don't have many kind things to say about this show. I know I should have adjusted my expectations since it's a series for 3 year old girls, but when something gets compared to my favorite anime of all time, I'll be damned if I don't look at the work with a high standard.

Regarding story, I think the actual content and presentation conflicted. There were some heavy themes brought up like abandonment, expectation-induced breakdowns, how much homework sucks, etc. yet it was all presented in not only a childish way, but one that kind of forgoes reality. Now I'm not saying the tone has to be grimdark or anything like that; this is a magical girl show after all. I still found it rather jarring. I'm not even going to mention the extreme stupidity displayed by the villains who were more than capable of fucking up the status quo if they actually tried.

But of course the most important thing in a show like this is the action. Well, that didn't really deliver either. The sporadically good choreography and animation was repeated ad infinitum rather than paving the way for new creative choreography and techniques. Being hit by a wave of stock footage is not how you up the tension. It's just annoying.

Now like I said, I did like the final arc, but it would have been exponentially more effective had it actually had the buildup to reflect its epicness. Instead, we're treated to episode after episode of the same vapid BS. Someone is insecure about something, a desert dude shows up to make a desertrian out of them, Precure fight, they use the dildo tact, everything's back to normal! It's the kind of formulaic crap that kills otherwise solid concepts.

Comparing this to TTGL is pretty insulting honestly. Only the final episode was like it and even that was relatively underwhelming. I'd be more inclined to compare this to old-school Saint Seiya, but with even less variety in the battles. It's the same static image posing while the backgrounds change during techniques with minimal contact with the enemy. It kind of makes sense now that Umakoshi would take on that franchise.

So yeah, rating time:
Last 5 episodes: 8/10
Show overall: 4.5/10

Seems like Symphogear will continue being the only action magical girl series I can actually call good. Hopefully that changes eventually.

My contract is complete! Pick up the pace, Envelope!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
tsuritama 4

I've gotten used to Yuki's shyness. His reaction to Haru's meddling in this episode was perfect. That guy's antics, however, still annoy me a little.

But the last two episodes were much better than the first two. Character development is bringing in the goods.

A single episode of HeartCatch is better than all 10 episodes of One Piece I've watched combined.

Well, to be fair, the first 17 episodes of One Piece are probably the worst in the entire series (fillers aside).

A single episode of HeartCatch is better than all 10 episodes of One Piece I've watched combined.

If you're going to respond like that to a post that took actual effort to write up, why respond at all? I think I've been rather diligent with this watch bet unlike some other people.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I predict that this is going to get really nasty really quickly. Somebody make a drive-by "who cares, they both suck!" and get it over with!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If you're going to respond like that to a post that took actual effort to write up, why respond at all? I think I've been rather diligent with this watch bet unlike some other people.

Calling it a show for 3 year old girls? Dildo Tacts? If that's what effort is, I'd rather just stick to posting screenshots.

And not only that, but your complaints about the action are flat out wrong; the stock footage (in most episodes) is only used for a finisher, and they spend a few minutes before punching/kicking it into submission.

Calling it a show for 3 year old girls? Dildo Tacts? If that's what effort is, I'd rather just stick to posting screenshots.

They were meant to be harmless jokes. Both you and Hosanna have been rather nasty toward OP, so I thought I could sneak 1 or 2 things like that in. Didn't mean anything of it.

And not only that, but your complaints about the action are flat out wrong; the stock footage (in most episodes) is only used for a finisher, and they spend a few minutes before punching/kicking it into submission.

I never said it was ALL stock footage. The choreography was still incredibly generic with some exceptions thanks to Sunshine, but even she ended up repeating the same pattern even if it isn't considered stock footage.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Also, Cosmic, you seem to be holding up One Piece as some high standard, when the first 10 episodes have all been atrocious. Can it get better later on? Sure! But that doesn't mean the first whole 4th of my assigned watch was terrible. Perhaps I should reviewing it in the same way you do.

"Instead, we're treated to episode after episode of the same vapid BS."

"But of course the most important thing in a show like this is the action. Well, that didn't really deliver either. The sporadically good choreography and animation was repeated ad infinitum rather than paving the way for new creative choreography and techniques. Being hit by a wave of stock footage is not how you up the tension. It's just annoying."

"Regarding story, I think the actual content and presentation conflicted. There were some heavy themes brought up like abandonment, expectation-induced breakdowns, etc. yet it was all presented in not only a childish way, but one that kind of forgoes reality."

Just reading those comments, they all sound like One Piece to me!

Dresden

tiff said:
I don't remember Korean Zombies being this funny.

They actually figured it out for S2?
I think dimb posted about how they just went for full comedy this time around. Too many shows to watch instead though, at least for me.

Solune

It would be spectacular because I still wouldn't know what to expect from him or even from that adaptation of The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Can you imagine synth-pop renditions of traditional Japanese music similar to The End of Asia on a movie from Mr. Takahata? Glorious!

And we both are always late, as you can see...
Solune, didn't we talk precisely about our habitual lateness (damn you, time zones!) some time ago?

Please, you're getting my hyped before anything has been confirmed!
And yes we did (I tried looking for said posts but couldn't find it). it doesn't help that between work and reading posts and the speed of this thread that replying takes "long"

tiff

Banned
I think dimb posted about how they just went for full comedy this time around. Too many shows to watch instead though, at least for me.
That's neat, the show had promise but S1 spent way too much time trying to be serious but it was just dumb and boring.

Luckily I don't care about half the shows this season and next week looks to be pretty light for work so I think I'll be able to fit it in.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh shit. I bought this show on a whim a couple months ago. I guess ill check out a few episodes soon !

Oh nice! I'll be starting up episode 2 in a bit, but first I'm going to watch Captain America and Thor so I can get prepped for the Avengers premier tonight. So excited!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 04:

QLCKBl.jpg

Too easy.

I was pretty bored with this episode. Haru and Yuki's fishing training is taking too long, Natsuki's bad relationship with his father isn't fleshed-out enough for me to really feel anything, and Haru continues to be aggressively annoying. There's nothing in the show keeping all of the separate little threads together, and in spite of all of the feeling-out-each-other's-emotions going on, the character interaction still really isn't as rich as I'd like it to be. Haru is a simpleton and Natsuki is gruff and introverted, so the ways in which they can interact with Yuki are limited. None of them seem like friends as much as they do people who merely tolerate each other, which leaves me cold in spite of the bright visuals and cheerful music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom