• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the Avatar character designs are about as generic as it gets.
ibc0NkZHvLxIJ1.gif

I wouldn't say Korra has a generic design. The style is generic, but I wouldn't say the designs necessarily are.
It's well animated but that's about it.
I can't speak for Korra, but the writing of the first series more than made up for any faults on the visual side.

Branduil

I guess people have a different definition of generic.
I don't know many other shows that have multi ethnic looking characters with varied facial structure.

Well the ethnic thing mostly amounts to a palette swap when it comes to anime characters.

I think the main thing that bugs me is the linework. It's so even and homogenized that I don't get any sense of character from it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I can't speak for Korra, but the writing of the first series more than made up for any faults on the visual side.
I'm not going to say that you're guilty of this but I think it's hypocritical that a lot of people would make fun of me if I said something like this in reverse in defense of a show yet nobody will say anything to this. Shortcomings are shortcomings, and in a visual medium visual shortcomings should be considered serious.

Well the ethnic thing mostly amounts to a palette swap when it comes to anime characters.

I think the main thing that bugs me is the linework. It's so even and homogenized that I don't get any sense of character from it.
It also has bad color design.

Jex

Goku II

Uh... this was something, I guess. There was plenty of great mechanical animation, an
interdimensional missile (yes, it's as stupid as it sounds), Freudian stuffs, clones, and an incredibly dumb main character.

You forgot all about M.Bison.

CUT.

Jex

It feels incredibly rushed and things aren't given time to breath or develop, but other than the
business with that guy's head
, I'm understanding it well enough. It's a decent show with awful pacing.

I don't think any show deserves the label decent with such atrocious pacing.

I'm not going to say that you're guilty of this but I think it's hypocritical that a lot of people would make fun of me if I said something like this in reverse in defense of a show yet nobody will say anything to this. Shortcomings are shortcomings, and in a visual medium visual shortcomings should be considered serious.
Point taken. I guess the difference is that Avatar isn't particularly bad on the eyes in the first place. Now if it looked like Angel Beats!. >_>

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've never seen the show, but I've always found the Avatar character designs to be pleasant and sufficiently distinctive. I can't comment on their technical merits.

I don't think that coming back a broken shell of a human being counts as surviving.

Victim

Uchip

Banned
I've never seen the show, but I've always found the Avatar character designs to be pleasant and sufficiently distinctive. I can't comment on their technical merits.

well the thing is, they're constantly moving, which gives them a lot of character.
you rarely(never?) see still shots where only the mouth is moving for more than a second
and this is anime, not manga, so expression is everything

cajunator

Banned
The avatar designs look ok.
I don't see a problem with them. I just like the cuter look of animu.
Avatar and shows of that style look more like a Bones show with the more realistic faces and less exaggerated designs.

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 1000% 12
I find it amusing that female protag is pretty much an afterthought to the plot and has to be shoehorned back in at the end. Pretty boring through with not enough signing.

Hyouka 01-03

This show is amazing. I'm glad I waited so I could marathon the first couple episodes. There is nothing to be said that hasn't been said before, anime of the forever material.

Branduil

SaiMoe brings out he worst in everyone :(

This isn't even the real SaiMoe, though. It's the bastardized international version which is a lot less interesting and a lot more stupid, somehow.

well the thing is, they're constantly moving, which gives them a lot of character.
you rarely(never?) see still shots where only the mouth is moving for more than a second

Well, that's certainly a point in its favor. But I was talking about the designs themselves, not what they do with them.

Cwarrior

In 3 years from now anime going to be 3d character models, ms paint backgrounds with lots of like dof effect cover up badly drawn background, storyboarding going to be wonky pov fetish angles where it' focus on wonky shots of the characters chins,legs,bellybuttons and tons faraway camera angles and sky shots to save budget.

what are the show going to be like
most shows will have as many characters & types as Horizion, use jc staff waifu generator middleware tool called the "easy waifu cash-in engine 3" and the moe population would be mixed for example you would get a gajin maid angel robot girl with cat ears on top of fox ears and peacock tail.

jbug617

Banned
Bought some more anime thanks to the sale on Amazon. Ended up with Eden of the East series plus the 2 movies and Summer Wars.

Branduil

In 3 years from now anime going to be 3d character models, ms paint backgrounds with lots of like dof effect cover up badly drawn background, storyboarding going to be wonky pov fetish angles where it' focus on wonky shots of the characters chins,legs,bellybuttons and tons faraway camera angles and sky shots to save budget.

most shows will have as many characters & types as Horizion, use jc staff waifu generator middleware tool called the "easy waifu cash-in engine 3" and the moe population would be mixed for example you would get a gajin maid angel robot girl with cat ears on top of fox ears and peacock tail.

And the scripts will be written in the format of this post.

Ultimadrago

Nyarko 5

Booriii--

Well then...

Truly, a future that only cwarrior could think up!

Keep the bright future ideas rolling, people!

cajunator

Banned
Bought some more anime thanks to the sale on Amazon. Ended up with Eden of the East series plus the 2 movies and Summer Wars.

Nice choices.

I would love to see this.

Even when they give them muscles, they still give them ridiculous tits.
iYy6KsrlTSkJa.gif

Yes, tits are ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom