• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Have you seen one of those slow-motion videos of water balloons hitting someone's face? It's exactly that.

tumblr_m3hioxDQZR1r2lb58.jpg

exactly that....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's not typical squash and stretch though.

That's his face suddenly losing bone structure and getting all bubbly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ojamajo Doremi 01:

A Satou Junichi-directed mahou shoujo with Umakoshi character designs? Why the hell did no one tell me that Sailor Moon and Heartcatch Precure had a love child before now?

This show is going to cleanse my soul, I just know it. Doremi is basically an Usagi/Tsubomi fusion, the art is charming, the music is great, there's no combat (yet), the episode had a moral (which may carry over to the entire series), and on the whole everything in the show is unbelievably cute and harmless. And it had an amazing off-key OP. Truly the total package.

Even the plastic pimping is pretty classy, though Ojamajo Doremi still appears to have been pretty ambitious in its toy plans. Forget little wands and compacts, this show sold enormous cash registers!

And an interesting note for Smile Precure fans:

Name sound familiar?

cajunator

Banned
Bathing with Hinako was the last one, I think.

Not that I've ever watched such a thing.

I watched Sleeping with Hinako to see what the show is like. Its literally over an hour of a character sleeping with like maybe 5 minutes of her waking up and doing other things. Its boring as shit and kind of creepy.

Is this not normal?

Everything on animeGAF is normal to us and not normal to...everyone else.

Solune

Cwarrior

Squash and stretch is a common principle of animation. You're making yourself look silly.

It looks out of place because of how terrible Naruto usually looks!

Oh my bad I forgot this was an anime thread where I would be the one to look silly disagreeing with rugulus tera on it being exactly like a slow motion clib of someone face being hit with a balloon.

trejo

Y'know you really don't need to defend derpy animation just because it has someone's name attached to it. It's obvious what they were going for but animators are people too. They can fuck up sometimes just like everyone.

Haly

So exaggerated squash and stretch...?
Well my main complaint with it is that he loses all semblance of structure, and instead of looking like he's going REALLY FAST, he looks like a completely different character.

If you took away the defining traits, headband, and those weird piercings, you would never be able to recognize him as even a character from Naruto, much less Pain.

What I consider typical usages of squash and stretch:
22117.png

22035.png

It's a balancing act, I suppose, with morphing the characters and conveying the essence of speed, and Pain punching the ground just looks ugly (not necessarily bad, but ugly).

cajunator

Banned
I just feel like in this case the way his body turns into jello works against the momentum of his punch rather than for it. And, subjectively, it does look a little silly.

I think its kind of like that reverse expression that anime characters use to make the event "pop". Like before a character has their freakout face, there is a split second frame where the character is off model and has a scrunched up face, before the open eyed one that we "see". Sakuga in some cases may be formed from those methods and taken to the next step.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I watched Sleeping with Hinako to see what the show is like. Its literally over an hour of a character sleeping with like maybe 5 minutes of her waking up and doing other things. Its boring as shit and kind of creepy.

I'm pretty sure that the "animation studio" for the Hinako stuff is just some guy in a basement who had the genius idea to loop a few minutes of ecchi animation long enough to be able to extend to OVA length and sell. I'm not kidding, either. Enough otaku didn't care they they were basically paying for a few .gifs strung together that we got three or four Hinako OVAs before the trend died.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Y'know you really don't need to defend derpy animation just because it has someone's name attached to it. It's obvious what they were going for but animators are people too. They can fuck up sometimes just like everyone.
It's not derpy. It looks great.

I find the assumption that you think I'm defending it simply because of the staff to be offensive and unbecoming of you.
Well my main complaint with it is that he loses all semblance of structure, and instead of looking like he's going REALLY FAST, he looks like a completely different character.

If you took away the defining traits, headband, and those weird piercings, you would never be able to recognize him as even a character from Naruto, much less Pain.
That's emphasizing the motion though, he's going so fast that he's losing his facial structure.

Haly

That's emphasizing the motion though, he's going so fast that he's losing his facial structure.
It doesn't feel like that, at least, not to me.

The fact that there is any division at all over this just shows the animators could've done a better job at retaining his aesthetic while still doing what they needed to do to GO FAST.

Also I think there is a conflict over definitions. A piece of animation can be well done (lots of key frames, good timing, sense of motion) while still being ugly (aesthetically unappealing). When people say "derp" they're saying Pain is making a derp face, and I don't think even you can say otherwise, because he does look pretty silly. Sure, it works in context of the motion, but that doesn't make it look any less silly frame by frame or even as a whole.

You're talking about the quality of the animation, everyone else is talking about the appeal of the art.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It doesn't feel like that, at least, not to me.

The fact that there is any division at all over this just shows the animators could've done a better job at retaining his aesthetic while still doing what they needed to do to GO FAST.
This style of animation is extremely polarizing. It's not just this.

cajunator

Banned
You really don't have to pimp out Ojamajo doremi to me. I've known about it for a while, butl ike sailor moon, I have been hesitant to start it because it is a long series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, it was Naishou Doremi. You should watch it sometime!

I'm kind of at the beginning of the journey here! I may just watch the OVAs/movies when I complete the first series because Hito seems to think that the second series is a huge decrease in quality anyway.

Branduil

Well, that's the crux of my complaint, though. I don't feel like it's emphasizing the motion, I feel like he's turning into jello and kind of falling forward slowly. I don't feel any POWER behind the punch, and I don't think what they were going for was losing control of himself and falling down.

Saki A 5:

It seems like Ryuuka and Toki are the new Momo and Yumi this season. The episode even starts with a flashback of the year before when they met Teru and got beat down. It even goes about the very familiar sort of flashbacks the first season had (with much yuri of course). After waking from that dream it's actually fairly more mahjong based episode but even then not enough. Kuro steps up again for Achiga but this time things don't end so well.
Yeah, poor Kuro...

Given that this match is most likely going to be the first that will be more or less fully played out with much less skipped rounds, it's okay that there wasn't a full concentration of mahjong since it'll be spanned to multiple episodes. Still I wanted more.
How much more could they have had? I mean, it seemed like it had a pretty large amount of mahjong to me, much like many episodes of the original series... there's always some other stuff going on too. And yeah, finally the rest of the match isn't going to be skipped over.

It was more of a Toki mahjong exhibition video than anything else. She saw through Kuro's game plan and capitalized. Funny that the other two couldn't do much about it. Since Toki's thing is
being able to see the tiles one turn ahead
. Her other thing is that she's a little sickly so I assume she'll crack later in the tournament.
You're right here, the focus was certainly on Toki. That's how it often goes in Saki and Achiga, one character gets the focus for a while, while they're doing well... which in Toki's case, was the whole match. Kuro got some attention too, but those other two teams clearly aren't as important. Anyway, Senriyama's supposed to be one of the elite teams -- they did get a bye through the previous parts of the tournament, which says how good they are. Of course they can't match Saki's sister's team, but they're good.

Yuu comes in to console her sister after losing all them points and putting Achiga at fourth. Tagging Kuro out and putting Yuu in, she hopes to gain back all those points. I hope she swags the hell out of the second round of play because dat scarf. They do show the beginning of it though prior to the end of the episode and it more or less shows what Yuu's power is which is the ability to draw red tiles. Another very predictable ability but Toki does allude that Yuu is a little special like herself. Might see some cool turnabouts next time.
Hopefully we will, I agree! Watching too much losing gets frustrating after a while... though I'm sure they'll recover from this, certainly. And it had to happen, Achiga hadn't been challenged yet at all...

NO ITS NOT >_
It has nothing to do with K-on whatsoever and that includes art style.
Yeah, I said this myself too earlier, but to add a bit, it's Kannagi-style, not K-On, and it's from the same studio who did Kannagi. K-On's the one that copied Kannagi's art style (from some of the same people I think?).

Sora no Woto 2

They say a platoon consists of 5 soldiers but Wikipedia says it consists of 2-4 squads with each squad having 13 soldiers. Who should I trust?

Also that's gotta be some desperate army to have a platoon consisting of high school girls who are wasting their time
hunting for a ghost and one of them can't even handle the recoil of her rifle
There are a lot fewer people in this post-apocalyptic future, so maybe platoons are smaller? I don't know. But yeah, in SnW the groups are definitely five.

trejo

It's not derpy. It looks great.

I find the assumption that you think I'm defending it simply because of the staff to be offensive and unbecoming of you.

I'm gonna go ahead and chalk it up to budget issues. I'm sure with a bit more work it could have looked great but as is I just don't feel it. Sorry.

And I'm just trying to push your buttons dude.

Cwarrior

I found the pain episode hilarious and in my opinion is best thing to happen in the pain arc.

The over the top loony tunes silliness is what I loved about it.

that doesnt even make sense
if it doesnt have an objective meaning in the first place it cant be wrong

hell the original "herp derp" pug dog very much resembles pains face in that gif :)
Unless the world literally appeared out of nothing, that can't be the case.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm gonna go ahead and chalk it up to budget issues. I'm sure with a bit more work it could have looked great but as is I just don't feel it. Sorry.

And I'm just trying to push your buttons dude.
Budget issues on the episode with their A-team staff on an important series event? umm okay

This makes the least sense of all things.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The thing with that Naruto sequence is that it's not fast enough for the squashing and stretching to actually work, so it robs the sequence of the momentum that would make the shape distortion believable.
Oh my bad I forgot this was an anime thread where I would be the one to look silly disagreeing with rugulus tera on it being exactly like a slow motion clib of someone face being hit with a balloon.
I actually agree with you. I guess the joke was too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom