• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But luffy barely even says or does anything that episode he has like under minute of screen time, the episode is all ussop.

How can a characters scene be bad when he doesn't have any outside of being in some group shots?

I guess you missed the part where he was all "HEY GUYS I FELL OFF A 30 METER CLIFF BUT I WAS JUST SLEEPING LOL" and "LET'S GO SAVE THE MEAT VENDOR WHILE THE REST OF THE VILLAGE BURNS LOL"

Ultimadrago

She's going to roll all over fang girl.

K5GTi.jpg

Cwarrior

I guess you missed the part where he was all "HEY GUYS I FELL OFF A 30 METER CLIFF BUT I WAS JUST SLEEPING LOL" and "LET'S GO SAVE THE MEAT VENDOR WHILE THE REST OF THE VILLAGE BURNS LOL"

he doesn't actually say thatt, he says "if we don't hurry and get ourselves some food, the shop owners will be gone, leaving us with no meat!" and there's no village burning when he says that, but that wouldn't be something out character for him to say.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
he doesn't actually say that, he says "if we don't hurry and get ourselves some food, the shop owners will be gone, leaving us with no meat!" that's pretty different.

If you can't understand what I meant, why bother replying? I'm clearly talking about his attitude during those scenes.

Lain

You think I forgot about this? Ahahaha nope.
Match of the day:

Damn them, forcing my hand to choose between Holo and Kuroko. It was painful, but the choice was obvious.

Mai-Hime 1

Hmmm, for a first episode it's not bad, except for the whole "you sexually harassed me by looking at my chest" stuff thrown at that dude (who is also boring and on my bad side already). That was annoying, and somewhat felt more stupid than usual but the opening makes me already dream for some delicious yuri moment.

Coxy

Candidate for Goddess 1-2
2 episodes in and the catgirl hasnt even shown up yet! The CG is so very very bad. Will I ever get a great series with mechs and catgirls?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kids on the Slope 05:

Another great episode. Great pacing and use of color and lighting. The character progression is going quite nicely as Sentaro helps Kaoru get his shit together and realize what is and isn't important in life. Lots of nice little touches as per usual for this show, little gestures and looks that tell more than words. :)

cajunator

Banned
Damn them, forcing my hand to choose between Holo and Kuroko. It was painful, but the choice was obvious.

Mai-Hime 1

Hmmm, for a first episode it's not bad, except for the whole "you sexually harassed me by looking at my chest" stuff thrown at that dude (who is also boring and on my bad side already). That was annoying, and somewhat felt more stupid than usual but the opening makes me already dream for some delicious yuri moment.

Mai Hime is fun but the ending is very frustrating.

Candidate for Goddess 1-2
2 episodes in and the catgirl hasnt even shown up yet! The CG is so very very bad. Will I ever get a great series with mechs and catgirls?

I was wondering the same thing.
Kizna is sooooo cute.
Pity the show is terrible.

jman2050

Mai-Hime 1

The show has its share of stupid moments and I don't think anyone likes Yuuichi. It is still pretty fun nonetheless.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Our forefathers gave their lives to give us the right to vote in ISML. You're pissing on the graves of men a hundred times braver than you by abstaining!

Kids on the Slope 5

With every episode, this terrible feeling that Sentaro is going to end up dead by the time this is all over gets stronger and stronger. He just seems too good for this world. :(

Kaoru has his broments, though. Like
hiding Yurika's letters to Jun from Sentaro.

Branduil

Kids on the Train 5

This show is so amazing, not even CG trains can ruin it.

iOYnZdMO76K15.jpg

Jun's bread>Rick's bread. Nine out of ten '50s schoolgirls agree.

ifXJFaUUT7yRw.jpg

The characterization for Kaoru is so rich, he's such a three-dimensional character compared to most anime protagonists- and I'm not just talking about how he's shaded. In this episode alone we saw his friendliness to children, his
guilt over what he did to Ritsuko, his painful non-relationship with his mother, and how much he cares for his friend Sentaro.
That's more characterization in one episode than some protagonists get in an entire series.

Of course, it also has to be well-executed, but there's no worries there as the direction continues to be excellent. In particular I thought this episode had great cinematography and lighting. The shading style is growing on me and I thought they really used it well this time.

iiT2QLWkd0NcL.jpg

This scene in particular was amazing, despite the obviousness of the imagery.

i8ZBIgaAu8bVh.jpg

Actually, as CG trains go, this is one of the better ones I've seen. They can be so much worse, and they usually are.

I really loved the art direction for
Jun's
boarding house. You could almost smell the old, musty floorboards.

idHF8CMomA2Tn.jpg

I remember this scene from Hanasaku Iroha. Japanese kids can't hold their non-alcoholic, government-approved drinks!

icWP4llExTHuB.jpg

I believe this is what they call "thematic dialogue."

I also really liked some of the shots choices when
Kaoru met his mother. Especially the one from underneath the table.
But that's not surprising given this show's attention to using body language to communicate feelings.

And I loved the lighting and use of multiple planes during the last scene.

http://i.minus.com/i6OHRGJdV8OL0.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 05:

This episode was really heavy on fishing, but it all served as development for Yuki.
By the end of the episode he's no longer tsundere for fishing and finally just enjoys it. I'm glad that we'll likely have fewer instructional scenes from now on

Professional fishing equipment is really freaking expensive, though then again it's rare for youth to take it up as a hobby. It seems more like the kind of thing that rich old guys do just to prove how much money and leisure time they have, kind of like golf. Maybe it's different for Japan considering that fish is a staple of the Japanese diet and you're close to water no matter where you live.

Using individual rods to catch mahi mahi seems inefficient if you're fishing for a living, but maybe using a net doesn't work with that particular type of fish for some reason.

Articalys

Sakamichi no Apollon 5

So yeah, like everyone's already said, outstanding. It really feels unfair that one show can have more great moments in a single episode than others managed in a whole season, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sengoku Collection 6

Aw. That wasn't terrible like episode 2, but it also wasn't as bizarre as episode 5. There's not much fun to be had with average Sengoku Collection.

Still... Ginga e Kickoff!! meets Sengoku Collection.

And
she totally murdered her other self violently with an axe.

This design brought to you by Mawaru-Penguindrum.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 06:

qjwkEl.jpg

You couldn't fit a lot of things into the budget this episode.

The historical Hiraga Gennai performed experiments with electricity just decades after Benjamin Franklin. He also lived nearly 200 years after the Sengoku era ended.

Sengoku Collection Hiraga Gennai makes mechanical swans capable of time travel.

Unless you really like freckle moe, this episode was utterly dull. There were only a handful of backgrounds used for the entirety of the episode and the show usually cut away to a still image whenever an action more complex than basic speaking or movement was about to occur. Next, please.

Also,
when Gennai traveled to the past, was there blood splattered around her time machine
?

And now, the weekly ode to Brains Base's incredible effort to keep the show visually interesting:

Lupin the Third - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 6

Who could resist
lesbian schoolgirls with machine guns
?

Of course, it helped that this episode was smartly directed. It had very striking imagery that tended towards the abstract at times (and not just in that one scene), but it held together with good atmosphere and a natural flow. This is definitely not what Lupin as a series is known for, and I still have my reservations about how the show as a whole will play out, but for this episode at least it worked.

And now, the weekly ode to Brains Base's incredible effort to keep the show visually interesting:

So much wasted talent.

jbug617

Banned
Kids on the Slope 5

Great episode. I didn't think they would
go to Tokyo so soon. I thought they would dedicate more time to it and deal more with mother/son issues. I wonder what happened to Jun, because I could see him turning back up with a pregnant girlfriend

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 6

The OP is still extra battering to mine ears.

Freckles are cute, but ruined by light blue hair (and ugly blob face).

202c3.jpg

For whoever thought up Sengoku Collection

So this one is an
inventor
and crap, boring.

Not terribly painful like episode 1, but a mildly amusing episode 5 ain't returning in a while (if ever).

Call it intuition.

Geneijin

I am honored that you saved old postings from me!

but it's still no explenation why DoReMi is that good
Did it look like I was trying to change your opinion? You're the one with the misunderstanding. I was merely correcting your wrong assumption about what you thought I was implying.

Not sure why you so often misunderstand someone's tone.

Sengoku Collection 6

so are there like two Gennai's running about now or did she pull a Yuno???

No idea. Then again, time travel is just crazy and convoluted enough that they wouldn't bother explaining it.

Sengoku Collection 06:

Also,
when Gennai traveled to the past, was there blood splattered around her time machine
?

Yes, there is blood or something red around the time machine. Maybe she landed on some squirrel or something.

wonzo

Banned
No idea. Then again, time travel is just crazy and convoluted enough that they wouldn't bother explaining it.

Yes, there is blood or something red around the time machine. Maybe she landed on some squirrel or something.
it could just be debris from the dilapidated time machine

madp

The Light of El Cantare
it could just be debris from the dilapidated time machine

I was kind of hoping that the show was hinting that
the time machine had landed on top of past Gennai and killed her in a freak accident
, but it could be that too.

I was kind of hoping that the show was hinting that
the time machine had landed on top of past Gennai and killed her in a freak accident
, but it could be that too.

That would defeat or confuse us even further with the whole scene of From the Future Gennai seeing that current time Gennai walking in with her bag of stuff. :p

jman2050

Sengoku Collection 5

I'm still mildly shocked at just how bad this show is.

The entire design of Bokuden or whatever the hell her name was is just a disaster.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R2 22

Someone needs to tell me right now what the hell Ledouche told Suzaku
to make him go along with this plan of COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION or whatever. What are they planning? Uugh.
Episodes-long keikaku's cruel to the viewers...

For a second there I almost thought Ledouche
and Kallen were the OTP.
But I guess not, because he apparently is too busy trying to piss the entire world off for some reason I can't begin to fathom to waste his time with dat.

Funny how the last time we saw Kaguya she
spoke something about being connected to Ledouche through heart or whatever.
What happened to that?

I know, right?! How can he say
the most clueless person in the entire world can be someone fit to rule an Empire? And oooooo she's mad, I'm scared. I think I officially dislike her simply because she's antagonizing the Ledouche x Spinzaku duo.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 22

Now that the paths of boyfriends have merged all others walking on the road are no longer welcome.

A true force of destruction! Too bad,
Schneizel
is always there to disturb with the fun!

There was some more delicious pizza and Rivalz almost risked his life for
Nina
! Seriously, what the hell, man. You may be a chronic gambler, but you're better than this.

The end had a twist, but
to be fair, I kind of called it.
But not...verbally. More of an inkling since the event leading to the questioning was so anti-climactic when focusing on that character.

Anyhow, now that Ledouche's
beacon of light has returned
. Shall he steer his ship away from conflict or take the waves and jagged rocks head-on?

It's time for me to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom