• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Acchi Kocchi 06:

Pony Tail get!

AcchiKocchi06.jpg

Stuff like this makes me wonder if there's some dire shortage of lighting experts in Japan. Why does every scene look like it was shot in the middle of a cloudy afternoon? I'm not asking them to emulate the anime but there are some basic cinematography techniques you gotta nail down before you even think about filming a horror movie. So much about this looks excruciatingly amateur.

Lamentably, the technical state of the live-action industry in Japan, both TV and film, is incredibly poor.

Makoto

Mashiroiro Symphony 7
ibh1iF1QoZ0ZJu.png

I gotta hand it to Shingo, that's a pretty swag outfit he's got on.

Sana was the only girl I sort of spoiled myself on before I dove deep into Mashiroiro. I knew she wasn't going to get picked but the earlier episodes really made her seem like a throwaway character so I didn't really care but these last few episodes, gah. She claims to hate men (but really has a big sister complex) and treats Shingo like crap but Shingo nailed the conquest anyway and now he's throwing it away.
It's like watching Napoleon conquer Spain only to say, "Well, that was fun. Okay boys, let's get out of here. I didn't like this place anyway." (Edit: Not that I'm advocating the conquest of real life lands and people. Just using that to emphasize my disappointment.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stuff like this makes me wonder if there's some dire shortage of lighting experts in Japan. Why does every scene look like it was shot in the middle of a cloudy afternoon? I'm not asking them to emulate the anime but there are some basic cinematography techniques you gotta nail down before you even think about filming a horror movie. So much about this looks excruciatingly amateur.
Lighting is expensive, bro.

Jintor

When was the last time we had a 'good taste tier' ranking? I think disliking Bebop, Korra and whatever else it was that Darkside was hating on is grounds for tier rearrassignment!

Ultimadrago

Gosick

Ok can't do it anymore so it's dropped. I had high expectations coming from Un-Go, but this was just too boring.

I knew the rolling wouldn't be enough.

It's never enough...

Seriously, I can't blame you. Gosick definitely does hits the "lifeless" section of the tone-meter on multiple occassions.

cajunator

Banned
Victorique is the only halfway interesting thing about Gosick and even she isnt enough to stave off the boredom.
You'd be better served watching Ikoku Meiro no Croisee.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kids on the Slope 5 - This show continues to hit all the right buttons for me. It's just so good; compared to the previous two episodes, I thought the pacing was a lot tighter here, and felt way less condensed. The amount of different moods captured through the character interactions in this episode was impressively done as well. Can't wait for next week!

I can't really agree with this complaint. It's only valid if you view the character development as almost throwaway material which has to be sat through before the show gets to the "real" story of aliens and saving the world and such, but that doesn't seem a proper evaluation. Tsuritama so far has been the story of Yuki and company gradually learning to get past their personal flaws and learn to relate to others through the medium of fishing, and that story has been well-paced, with each episode making steady growth towards the goal of full interrational integration. You have to accept the show as a character-focused narrative, instead of a plot-driven one.

That said, it has been setting up elements for an endgame, which I could foresee being awkward if the character development is not properly integrated into it.
Eh, maybe I'm being impatient, and while this is obviously a character-driven narrative. I don't feel it's particularly that well-paced for one, simply because the only characters that seem to have gotten any development in 5 episodes are yuki and hagu, the other characters like alien girl and MIB guy seem to barely have a presence within the series.

Also, it's mostly the fact that compared to something like Apollon, I don't particularly feel like narrative-wise it's transitioned past the "set-up" phrase of the story, but as I said before, I don't think it detracts that much from the series overall, as it really depends on how it all pays off in the end.

Gosick

Ok can't do it anymore so it's dropped. I had high expectations coming from Un-Go, but this was just too boring.

i took 2 tries to get through Go sick.
The ep8/9 ( in the village of the wolves ) was such a low point for me that i had to stop ..Several months later , mentally prepared i watched the rest and i enjoyed it .

Main antagonist is such an *sshole i can't believe it ... the the last part of Gosick is a spiral of nonsense actions on both sides that i can't believe it either...

in fact i really can't believe the way the serie turned..it's like everyone except kujo tried to be as much as an asshole as they could be without even bothering explaining their respective reasons

survivor

Banned
I knew the rolling wouldn't be enough.

It's never enough...

Seriously, I can't blame you. Gosick definitely does hits the "lifeless" section of the tone-meter on multiple occassions.
Victorique laugh and rolls were good but not 24 episodes good

Victorique is the only halfway interesting thing about Gosick and even she isnt enough to stave off the boredom.
You'd be better served watching Ikoku Meiro no Croisee.
I was planning on watching that series, loli in France. Is it fun?

The ep8/9 ( in the village of the wolves ) was such a low point for me that i had to stop ..Several months later , mentally prepared i watched the rest and i enjoyed it .

Main antagonist is such an *sshole i can't believe it ... the the last part of Gosick is a spiral of nonsense actions on both sides that i can't believe it either...

in fact i really can't believe the way the serie turned..it's like everyone except kujo tried to be as much as an asshole as they could be without even bothering explaining their respective reasons
The stuff I saw about the later parts of the series kinda make me sick and was part of the reason I didn't wanna continue.

Bodacious Space Pirates 8

Suddenly
loli princess

Majority of the episode was boring cause they went back to school. Need more piracy action

jbug617

Banned
Upotte! 6

I had my hopes high in this episode due to the ending of the last one but this was really disappointing. It's all about gun love this episode.

Kuroko No Baske 6

Enjoyed the first years adventure at lunch. The game this episode is basically a lead up to the showdown with Midorima.

cajunator

Banned

The stuff I saw about the later parts of the series kinda make me sick and was part of the reason I didn't wanna continue.

Suddenly
loli princess

Majority of the episode was boring cause they went back to school. Need more piracy action

Yes, Ikoku Meiro is a fun little show.
Yune is ADORABLE.
Her reactions will make your heart explode so be careful.

Uchip

Banned
We had two blu rays of shounen, seventy-five dvds of romcom, five box sets of high-budget nomiminA, a manga half-full of catgirls, a whole galaxy of multi-colored moe, slice of life, mecha, gag anime... Also, a quart of fantasy, a quart of shoujou, a case of Hentai, a pint of raw ecchi, and two dozen Yuri's. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious anime collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the lolis. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a loli binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Ultimadrago

Also...

Did they just give away who Amon is?

Misdirection? Red herring?

I call misdirection/red herring.

It is vague, but seems too "in-your-face" for me to take it seriously. Though I have the slight feeling I'll eat crow on that statement with a
full flashback
episode.

Amon's image may be more about the message to the people and less about they mystery behind the man.

I may have to start visiting this thread more often.

Unless you are interested in anime in general (which there are some good things on right now), it's probably best to just visit on Korra day. But feel free to bring in impressions!

More the merrier!

Agreed.

==========================
Korra no Densetsu 6

Tenzin
be pimpin'

Pro-bending finally looked kinds cool!
( too bad it took some illegal moves!)

More Adult Toph!

"I love the Power Glove, it's so bad. etc, etc."

And some crumbs of scrumptious
NTR
for young and old!

Good episode.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fate/Zero 19:

FUCK

I KNEW THAT IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN

BUT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK ;_;

Kiritsugu is a hugely fascinating character and I couldn't be happier at how excellently these past two episodes fleshed out his character and established the logic that dictates his actions in the present. Masterful.

Eh, maybe I'm being impatient, and while this is obviously a character-driven narrative. I don't feel it's particularly that well-paced for one, simply because the only characters that seem to have gotten any development in 5 episodes are yuki and hagu, the other characters like alien girl and MIB guy seem to barely have a presence within the series.

Also, it's mostly the fact that compared to something like Apollon, I don't particularly feel like narrative-wise it's transitioned past the "set-up" phrase of the story, but as I said before, I don't think it detracts that much from the series overall, as it really depends on how it all pays off in the end.

Let's examine which characters are driving Tsuritama. First is obviously Yuki. He is the primary viewpoint character, he is the one whose inner thoughts we hear the most, and he is the one who structures every episode by reflecting on the events of the first half through the filmstrip effect and using that to make a decision leading to positive relational growth in the second half. In the second tier are Haru, Natsuki, and Akira. Haru has received the most obvious development, as he learned not to resort to his water gun for everything, but the other two have gotten attention as well. Natsuki was initially gruff and cold towards Yuki, Haru, and seemingly everyone, constantly frowning, but as his fishing instruction progressed he became more open and comfortable, smiling more and more often. We've also seen a fair bit about his relationship with his family. Akira, after being introduced as a distant observer, has gradually come more and more into focus until this past episode started getting inside his head and laying bare his insecurities.

The last tier is the family and friends of the above characters who fill up the rest of the cast. Some of them have more personality, such as Yuki's grandmother, others less, such as Akira's fellow organization members, but in the end they are all important only in what they mean to the four leads. And that's OK. Unless you have a very small cast, you can't develop everyone equally and must choose who to focus on. You could argue that, in the case of Apollon, only its two leads, Kaoru and Sentarou, have received any substantial development. Even someone as important as Ritsuko is only defined by the importance they place on her. I don't see these less developed characters as a serious detriment to either show, because I've been so satisfied by what they've done with who they've chosen to focus on.

I feel that Tsuritama is paced properly for the kind of setting and mood it wants to establish - certainly Apollon-style pacing would not serve it well. It just seems weird to consider it still in its setup phase, when the situation has been set up and we are in the midst of the tale. I do agree that the payoff at the end is key, as if that doesn't feel like the culmination of the journey the four boys have been on, the series as a whole will not be satisfying.

Gosick

How far did you get? But yeah, overall, Gosick is okay at times, but disappointing overall; I really liked it some of the time, but the bad parts are so bad, and it's kind of boring too often as well.

Hey, remember ep. 19, just before the start of the final arc... Kujo and Victorique are kind of awful too.

But yeah, I definitely think that the show falls apart in the last six episodes or so. That last arc was so dumb, and the one before it no better... it's too bad, because it was decent up to that point, but it didn't last.

Unfortunately true.

It's pretty good, yeah. A bit slow, but good.

What did you hear, specifically?

I mean, it's likely true, just wondering.

Suddenly
loli princess

Yeah, the parts on the planet are a bit less interesting than the space parts, that's true. They're still good, but not as good, certainly.

Oh, that. Yeah, that was pretty dark stuff. Victorique's mother's story is really depressing for sure.

For Victorique and Kujo, though, in my opinion their lowlight is from ep. 18 (sorry I said 19 before, it's 18) when they cross a moral event horizon
after watching a girl (who was working for one organization) die painfully of poison and then saving the day, they have a nice chat with her killer (who was working for a rival one), and Victorique quite understandingly tells hims that she knows his real identity and that he's working for the people he does because they're holding his sister prisoner. As if that completely excuses the multiple murders that'd occurred in the episode (I only mentioned the cruelest one, but there were several others, and I'm pretty sure he was involved in some of them too)? Ah... I'm not so sure about that... but yeah, okay, here's that important thing the people you work for want, that all the other people had died fighting over, bye. Victorique does keep one piece of key information to herself, but still, it's pretty messed up stuff. No mention at all of what he'd just done moments before. Oh, you did it because they're holding your sister? Alright, murder's fine with me then! That's not how it works...

Oh yeah, and did I mention that the girl who dies was an orphan or something like that, and died saying how she was scared and wanted to live so she could figure out her birthday, because she believes that people who die without knowing their birthdays will have a horrible afterlife? Kujo looks sad for a moment after she dies, but seems to have forgotten the whole thing a few minutes later when the scene in the above paragraph occurs. Neither Kujo nor Victorique either act like they remember that she'd existed, or reference anything that he did on the train, in the whole conversation that makes up the end of the episode. It's entirely forgotten.

And then the episode ends with the guy, smiling in happiness thanks to Victorique's actions.
Overall I found the episode, and its ending scenes in particular, really disturbing. It's something I can't forget, and for the worst reasons.

Oh, and it's a different kind of issue, but when Victorique saves the day,
she fires off their last bullet at range to hit the switch that'll switch the train from the current track (of going off a cliff) to one where they will be saved... even though it's their last shot, and she's never fired a gun before I believe. Kujo trusts her anyway, and of course she makes it, but yeah... is that really the time for that, given her inexperience and that if she misses, everybody dies?

And I don't even want to start on how stupid I found the ending of the series, too. Again it's for other reasons, but GAH! No! That just does not make sense!

And I would have said that I liked the series overall, too, up until those last 6 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom