• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That won't stop some kids from watching it. I started watching Adult Swim when I was 11.
Well, I guess.

I think Kai is doing a good job of introducing a new audience to DBZ though, apparently the sales of actual Kai volumes are mediocre but since airing on US TV it's made sales for DVDs of the full DBZ show go up, lol.

But more people watching YYH is a good thing too. Good show.

Have you talked to kids today? The majority of them doesn't give a shit about stuff that looks old.
Horseshit. Look at how good the Kai ratings are in the US. It's majority old with a few redrawn scenes.

Kids want to see fightin' shows.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I would like to look at age breakdowns of said ratings to make sure it's children watching and not old smelly 90ers.
http://blog.funimation.com/2010/06/nicktoons-may-10-ratings/
“Nicktoons also posted its highest-rated and most-watched May with total viewers (+18%), K6-11 (+33% in rating), B6-11 (+27% in delivery), T9-14 (+32% in delivery) and B9-14 (+25% in rating). Nicktoons record-setting performance was driven by the premiere of Dragon Ball Z Kai (Monday, May 24, 8–9 p.m. ET), which set a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network’s history with total viewers, T9-14 and B9-14. ”

Nickelodeon also shared with us and animation press outlets some addition information:

“Additionally, Nicktoons also posted its highest-rated and most-watched May with total viewers (+18%), kids 6-11 (+33% in rating), boys 6-11 (+27% in delivery), tweens 9-14 (+32% in delivery) and boys 9-14 (+25% in rating). Nicktoons record performance was driven by the premiere of Dragon Ball Z Kai (Monday, May 24, 8 – 9 p.m. ET), which set a new record as the highest-rated series premiere in the network’s history with total viewers (record previously held by Wolverine and The X-Men, January 23, 2009), tweens 9-14 and boys 9-14 (record previously held by Iron Man: Armored Adventures, April 24, 2009). During its premiere week, Dragon Ball Z Kai posted high double- and triple-digit increases over last year’s like time period with it key demos, kids 6-11 (+71%); boys 6-11 (+122%); tweens 9-14 (+150%); boys 9-14 and total viewers (+144%).”

Mature

Hey guys! Guess wha--

I can't wait until it's terrible.

Like I said in the other thread, I will wait until lineup but most likely they won't have anything worth watching

I don't even know what's the point of this, 1999 is not coming back and anime has been dead for many years now, what are they going to show? dragon ball,dragon ball z and dragon ball gt forever?

Oh lucky you. You can watch dubs of shows we've already seen.

It pains me to see people get excited for the Toonami revival when it's just going to be an extended DVD/BD commercial for DBZ and YYH.

Nevermind.

Ultimadrago

Hey guys! Guess wha--

Nevermind.

image.php

Uchip

Banned
I did give Fairy Tail a fair shot...
the guild premise was interesting, and the .hack series aren't very interesting to me
might as well read the manga instead if the anime has a 10$ per episode budget

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Zettai Karen Children 1
EbDt1.jpg

What is this, Index?
Unfortunately no, it's worse.

Let's just jump into the good and bad:

- ugly character designs
- annoying and irritating characters
- stupid writing
- ugly and plentiful CG
- unfunny humor
- more stupid writing
- stupid pedo jokes

+ black-haired megane is decent
+ and she speaks in Kansai-ben!
+ there was a few spots of nicely drawn animation

So basically, this was a poor episode that in no way interests me in watching further.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Have you talked to kids today? The majority of them doesn't give a shit about stuff that looks old.

Depends on the kids' ages surely. I was watching old shows as a wee lad that were probably 10 or more years old and this wasn't anything fancy. Just simply shows about everyday folk like Postman Pat.

Hetalia: World Series Part 1
nkmJE.gif

Prussia is awesome. His awesomeness overshadows everything else.

Hetalia: Paint It, White
w2zkb.gif

This was interesting at the very least. 80 minutes of Hetalia is much more than what is usually expected. It's 16 times longer than an average episode! Then again, it contained a bunch of recaps or literally random episodes thrown around which pretty much cut into the narrative. Besides that, the movie is still pretty funny and just the right level of offensiveness.

cajunator

Banned
With everyone wanting everything on Blu-ray, are there any anime titles that should not be purchased on Blu-ray? I noticed that some titles, like Chobits, are apparently better on DVD than Blu-ray.

I may be in the minority, but if I know the Blu-ray of any title is an upscale I will simply purchase the DVD instead of the Blu-ray. Unless FUNi-style combo-packs will become a future norm.

What are everyone's thoughts on Blu-ray versus DVD when it comes to purchasing anime?

Typically I buy the BR if its available. Mainly its more because I want nearly indestructable discs that are very hard to scratch/ruin.

YOU GET TO BURNING

Nozomi Entertainment revealed the highly anticipated MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO Complete Collection L.E. will be available on Sept. 4, 2012.

The MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO Complete Collection L.E. DVD set will feature the entire 26-episode television series and its sequel motion picture (Prince of Darkness), as well as its Gekigangar 3 OVA spin-off. This will be the first time Gekigangar 3 will be available to North American audiences.

It will also include remastered video from the Japanese DVD release for the Nadesico TV series and Gekigangar 3 OVA and the previously released English-language dub (TV series and film), plus Japanese audio, English-language subtitles and on-screen translations, and on-disc extras. The limited-edition set’s seven discs will be housed in a Thinpak-style, full-color chipboard art box.

*bounces
I AM TOTALLY DOUBLE DIPPING THE SERIES FOR THIS!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ginga e Kickoff 3

R05Sd.jpg

Best moment of the episode

I'm pretty much sold on this show now, it's just a ton of fun to watch. The characters are all likeable, even if the MC is quite brash (actually, that's one aspect that helps make him likeable - the loud in-your-face character type can be tricky to pull off well
just look at luffy for an example of a failure har har
but it works here.) I was worried the triplets might go for the snobbish attitude, but fortunately my fears were groundless, and they ended up being the stars of this episode. I feel like that scoreline was a bit overdone, but at least it avoided the old cliche of having them lose miserably to give themselves a goal to work for.

Anyway, they're in desperate need of a coach, and it looks like next episode will focus on that.

This is really the best overlooked show of this season, more of you should start watching it!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Wait, AnimeGAF is being realistic/cynical

nevermind

Come on, there's nothing wrong with getting overexcited for something you know will never live up to your expections, just look at duckroll hyping the next BONES show AnimeGAF right before the start of a new season!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ginga e Kickoff 3

I'm pretty much sold on this show now, it's just a ton of fun to watch. The characters are all likeable, even if the MC is quite brash (actually, that's one aspect that helps make him likeable - the loud in-your-face character type can be tricky to pull off well
just look at luffy for an example of a failure har har
but it works here.) I was worried the triplets might go for the snobbish attitude, but fortunately my fears were groundless, and they ended up being the stars of this episode. I feel like that scoreline was a bit overdone, but at least it avoided the old cliche of having them lose miserably to give themselves a goal to work for.

Anyway, they're in desperate need of a coach, and it looks like next episode will focus on that.

This is really the best overlooked show of this season, more of you should start watching it!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Ginga e Kickoff!! truly is the best overlooked show of this season.

It is a heavily family-oriented show, but the characters are fun and the football actually looks like football (a rarity in anime).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Zettai Karen Children 1

Let's just jump into the good and bad:

- ugly character designs
- annoying and irritating characters
- stupid writing
- ugly and plentiful CG
- unfunny humor
- more stupid writing
- stupid pedo jokes

+ black-haired megane is decent
+ and she speaks in Kansai-ben!
+ there was a few spots of nicely drawn animation

So basically, this was a poor episode that in no way interests me in watching further.

It becomes a good (well, campy-good, not necessarily good-good) show, try not to write it off after one episode :(

This also reminds me that I need to watch another SKET Dance since cosmic told me that this is where the Hayate S1/ZKC director is working now.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Ginga e Kickoff!! truly is the best overlooked show of this season.

It is a heavily family-oriented show, but the characters are fun and the football actually looks like football (a rarity in anime).

Yup, it's been a very pleasant surprise, and there's nothing wrong with a nice family-oriented show between all the Fate/Zero's and HoTD's and whatnot. >_>

And yes, they really are using their budget effectively, even though the non-football scenes suffer for it. :(

It becomes a good (well, campy-good, not necessarily good-good) show, try not to write it off after one episode :(

This also reminds me that I need to watch another SKET Dance since cosmic told me that this is where the Hayate S1/ZKC director is working now.

It's not completely dropped, just put way on the back of my priority list, I might watch an occasional episode here and there.

Mature

Clearly this is the wrong venue to speak about Toonami related news =/

Well, I'm excited at the implications of a returning Toonami. Namely, a newer generation being introduced to smarter animated television.

Jintor

Thing is from what we can tell it's just a rebranded late night block atm. Won't be introing new kids until it takes over weekday afternoons again.

Well, I'm excited at the implications of a returning Toonami. Namely, a newer generation being introduced to smarter animated television.

Personally, I have no reason to be excited about the return of Toonami, despite my fond memories, since I don't have a TV. Speaking generally, it's impossible to know what to think until we have more details on what this entails. If it's just a rebranding of the anime that currently airs on CN Saturday nights, or if it's going to consist only of old shows and aim solely at the people who grew up with it in the 90s/early 2000s, I don't see any reason to celebrate.

wonzo

Banned
Kuromajo 6

i guess that makes sense

Wait, AnimeGAF is being realistic/cynical

nevermind
being realistic/cynical is the only way to
duck
roll

Yup, it's been a very pleasant surprise, and there's nothing wrong with a nice family-oriented show between all the Fate/Zero's and HoTD's and whatnot. >_>

And yes, they really are using their budget effectively, even though the non-football scenes suffer for it. :(
fortunately the rather funny character expressions help make up for that

Jacob

Hey guys! Guess wha--

Nevermind.

STOP ENJOYING THINGS!

Is it wrong that I'm excited for Toonami even though I know there's a decent chance that it will end up being lame and a let down to the nostalgia crowd? Toonami and later Adult Swim are part of what got me started with anime. Plus, it's the whole package, with Tom and hopefully more video game reviews that are part of the appeal for me. :/

Cwarrior

What do you mean, kids already have legend of korra, avengers earths mightiest heroes and Young justice which are all very well smartly written shows, far better written then like what anything to come out in the last 5 years for anime.

Smart is the last word I would associate anime with.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'm fine with it. Hardcore anime fans were never the target audience anyway, so I don't understand the upset over the likelihood of the block showing more mainstream series that AnimeGAF has seen already. I'm for whatever gets a new generation interested, a result which still isn't precluded if it ends up being a nostalgia block.

What do you mean, kids already have legend of korra, avengers earths mightiest heroes and Young justice which are all very well smartly written shows, far better written then like what anything to come out in the last 5 years for anime.

Smart is the last word I would associate anime with.

Come on, at least have some subtlety if you're going to try to pull this.

Third best season, of best show.

You should stick around more often; we have a surprising amount of Sailor Moon discussion here!

Toriko 54

Finally this arc is done. I have to put it as the least fun arc in the series thus far. I enjoyed when Komatsu used all those knives but otherwise, yes off to a new locale. And finally Zebra, based on what others said or hinter, Im stoked to see him in action, please be epic.

Jintor

Personally, I have no reason to be excited about the return of Toonami, despite my fond memories, since I don't have a TV. Speaking generally, it's impossible to know what to think until we have more details on what this entails. If it's just a rebranding of the anime that currently airs on CN Saturday nights, or if it's going to consist only of old shows and aim solely at the people who grew up with it in the 90s/early 2000s, I don't see any reason to celebrate.

Come on, turn your brain off and chill out with us. It'll be fun!

Ideally Toonami would adopt YJ. (Avengers is with Disney and Korra is with Nick, right? So I don't see that happening. In a perfect world all the good animation would fall under Toonami for dat wrapping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom