• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like back peddling edit to me, anyways this isn't the right place to speak about it so forget I mentioned it.
Oh you.

Also it's not quite back peddling. :p However, I am heavily biased against the big shounen shows. If you can't tell your story in under a hundred episodes, give up.

survivor

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X

Sorry Tsubaki, but
Ueno definitely got the better girlfriend. Good assets and isn't embarrassed to show them off.

Hiiro no Kakera 8
tumblr_m4byt9FeX01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Hopefully Ryou will do more than just sniff characters and play with Tamayuri-hime. I love seeing her get flustered when it happens. She needs to spend more time with Mahiro and Takuma or else, I fear she can never recover the friendship.

Best part still continues to be the post credits stuff. kind of cheesy but nice.

cajunator

Banned
Agreed, Angel's Egg looks fantastic. It doesn't really look like any other anime (I know that I've just opened the door for people to prove me wrong).

Hilariously though, it appears that's the exact show he was talking about. Oh god I am scarily desensitized to this stuff.

NewFresh

yes! thats totally it. it looks messed up to me.. i guess i just mean creepy. that giant sphere thing and the art style in general.

thanks animedawgs

It's a fantastic movie, but it isn't "messed up". It's slow paced but very thought provoking and full of symbolism. The imagery and visual aesthetic are beautiful to look at, as well. So if you are looking for over the top violence, gore, action, you might want to watch something like Wicked City, Goku: Midnight Eye, or many other 80's OVAs.

cajunator

Banned
It's a fantastic movie, but it isn't "messed up". It's slow paced but very thought provoking and full of symbolism. The imagery and visual aesthetic are beautiful to look at, as well. So if you are looking for over the top violence, gore, action, you might want to watch something like Wicked City, Goku: Midnight Eye, or many other 80's OVAs.

Yeah when he said "messed up" I was expecting Akira levels of WHAT THE FUCK. But Angel's egg isn't really messed up at all. Its a rather tame, symbolic show. Not a bad watch.

Kazzy

Oh you.

Also it's not quite back peddling. :p However, I am heavily biased against the big shounen shows. If you can't tell your story in under a hundred episodes, give up.

You definitely have a point; although I think that some of the the appeal with those kind of shows (at least for me) is the familiarity that it provides. I sometimes find it daunting trying to start a new show, it always seems to take me a while to commit.

So, it's pretty much a comfort zone thing.

Jex

Or maybe you should watch something by Ghibli, like Devilman: The Birth.

cajunator

Banned
I think part of the reason shounen shows run so long is not because they have to take that long to tell a story, but because THEY ARE MONEY MACHINES. The company strikes gold and then milks the fuck out of it until its dead.

I think part of the reason shounen shows run so long is not because they have to take that long to tell a story, but because THEY ARE MONEY MACHINES. The company strikes gold and then milks the fuck out of it until its dead.

It's both. Some are planned to be that long from the beginning like OP (well to some extent) while others have no plan at all and only keep going because it makes a ton of money.

Ultimadrago

Mysterious Girlfriend X 7

Hoggin' Legs.

Mmmm.

Also Ueno is the real winner today.

Episode? It was okay. More of
Oka showing off her spit scavenging skills along with some other things. Oh, and Urabe winning a relay or something.

You definitely have a point; although I think that some of the the appeal with those kind of shows (at least for me) is the familiarity that it provides. I sometimes find it daunting trying to start a new show, it always seems to take me a while to commit.

So, it's pretty much a comfort zone thing.

That's kind of how it is for me. I honestly can't be assed to care about the characters in most shows under 50 episodes or so because I know I won't be following their journey for very long. Big shounen series are like epics, chronicling a massive quest, seeing unique locales, stuff like that. It's an adventure!

Jex

[Fate/Zero] - 20

Another great episode this week. I don't really care that it was largely devoted to talking and set up because this show does that pretty well. Except for Maiya, because she feels like such a throwaway character.

There's already been quite a few good write-ups on this episode so I don't have that much to add, but here's my thoughts anyway.

I liked the brief scene before the opening credits because Irisviel's words are completely unremarkable but for the audience they remind us that, even though we've seen Kiritsugu numerous times throughout the show this is the first time that we understand who he is, and this really allows to look at him in a new light. It's like we're being introduced to the 'real' him for the first time.

Kirei is a man notable for absence and Kiritsugu's uncertainty about the events that unfolded earlier demonstrates that for the most important characters in the show, Kirei is still a mysterious black box. Of course, for the audience Kirei and Kiritsugu have finally been 'revealed' to us.

This really wasn't supposed to happen. Everything that we've been told in the episode really led us in the wrong direction. For starters, Rider and Waver are supposed to be resting and recovering, with Rider specifically saying that he will need till nightfall to recover completely. They don't appear to readying any kind of attack. In fact, we actually fear that they're going to be attacked while they're resting by Saber, who we know is looking for them at the behest of Kiritsugu. That's why it's even more amazing when the REVERSE happens and Iri is the one caught unawareness, our expectations have been completely turned on their head.

I really like how Rider appears in this scene, or rather, how he doesn't. He attacks like some off-screen move monster and they make sure never to show him in shot fully to make his appearance and action more frightening to those who have been attacked. Also, this makes us question why Rider is operating on his own at this point because this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that Waver would plot. As has been mentioned above Rider's appearance and actions really aren't in line with what we've seen so far and so coercion makes a lot of sense.

Great stuff all round.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin Specials 1-4:

Behold, the very final gasp of Anime no Chikara: the BD shorts from the show that killed the block. This was basically a half-episode featuring young Maya and her one tomboy friend as they try to take care of a tsuchinoko, a serpentine creature from Japanese folklore. The shorts are decently humorous as the kids are totally oblivious to the fact that the tsuchinoko isn’t remotely affectionate and, moreover, is actively trying to kill them every chance that it gets.

Kid Maya is kind of creepy-looking because she retains her older self’s permanent scowl even when she’s happy. Cute, harmless little vignettes, though. RIP Seikimatsu, I suppose we’ll always have the occasional haruyama fanart, at least.

survivor

Banned
Oh you.

What if the anime has 110 episodes? Should they give up? And if it's 99 episodes, is it almost the same as giving up?

cajunator

Banned
Space Bros 08

Maybe its because of the music, but this show just really strikes a chord with me. I love it so much. Its such a feel good kind of show and the staff has done a really great job of making Mutta an extremely likeable character. You root for him with everything you've got to succeed. The dog....is cute. I'll admit it. fuck.

survivor

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 6-7

This tournament arc highlighted what has been bothering me about this anime for some time. I feel like they are taking the lazy approach of Avatar and just making this elemental attacks spam. I really wish they would get more creative with their powers as they go on cause right now only Yuna had a good fight in the tournament so far.

Koga and Soma match being rendered to just laser beams at the end was disappointing as well. I'm looking forward to Eden fight against a named character. Wonder how they will nerf his thunder attacks so they don't insta paralyze you.

Articalys

The biggest thing I'm worried about for Muv-Luv is that it's based on a spinoff of a sequel and is going to lose a lot in the adaptation process to make it approachable for anyone unfamiliar with the series.

Also, it's going to debut at Anime Expo. Well, that's not something I'm worried about, just an extra factoid.

That's kind of how it is for me. I honestly can't be asses to care about the characters in most shows under 50 episodes or so because I know I won't be following their journey for very long. Big shounen series are like epics, chronicling a massive quest, seeing unique locales, stuff like that. It's an adventure!

Not even 26? Though I kind of agree.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The biggest thing I'm worried about for Muv-Luv is that it's based on a spinoff of a sequel and is going to lose a lot in the adaptation process to make it approachable for anyone unfamiliar with the series.

Also, it's going to debut at Anime Expo. Well, that's not something I'm worried about, just an extra factoid.

Total Eclipse uses a different main cast from the Muv-Luv Unlimited, Extra, and Alternative. It's pretty much just standard mecha fight for the world kinda stuff.

Chobits - END

Though I felt the ending was quite quick and left a lot open to wonder what happened with Hideki, Chi, and the others after the last episode I enjoyed watching this series. Though Chi was adorable, Sumomo,
and maybe Kotoko,
was so much cuter
and somewhat crazed in thinking
especially after watching the Chibits special.

cajunator

Banned
Chobits - END

Though I felt the ending was quite quick and left a lot open to wonder what happened with Hideki, Chi, and the others after the last episode I enjoyed watching this series. Though Chi was adorable, Sumomo,
and maybe Kotoko,
was so much cuter
and somewhat crazed in thinking
especially after watching the Chibits special.

Chibits is by far the best thing about Chobits.

If they hadnt used that line, it would have succeeded in getting me to think that bleeding was ceased because of all the stuff with nen.
But you cant stop this kind of bleeding with nen unless you have a specific hability.. for this purpose ( managing your body ) .
At best with a strenghtning nen you can close wounds given that those type can regen quickly ( like gon ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom