• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Bamboo Blade 1

G7Nef.jpg

Not sure if creepy or moe. In any case, this show will suffice as my sports show to watch since Chihaya is no more. In between I might watch the prequel thingy for Saki Moejang.

No, that's definetenly creepy. It looks like she's seen all the suffering in the world and it's carved out her soul. I am pretty certain that such a thing wasn't their intention, therefore that must be bad art.

Defuser

Space bros ep 4
Mutta is hilarious through the whoe episode. Hiroaki Hirata is a excellent choice for the role,expected from the person who is the best seiyuu of the year.

Jex

Hmm...let me get this straight. Scub Corals may randomly appear on Earth and they may cause Bursts that cause a beam of light to rain down around the Scub Coral. These Bursts may produce G-Monsters. When exactly does it say that destroying Scub Coral will cause monsters to come out? I can't find it.

and this confusion is just testimony to how confusing this is :/
I don't think all the details are especially important, it's pretty clear that a bad monster is attacking the island and it needs to be stopped.

Narag

Fate/Zero 15

So awesome. It's a treat to get such a high quality series like this.

Fate/Zero 16

Uh, holy shit.
Kiritsugu is a bad, bad man.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's different because Toph is awesome. That explains it. Somehow.
The cast of Avatar pretty much becomes the new world order. Zuko being Fire Lord and Aang being a triumphant avatar most of all. Toph would most certainly be passing on metalbending because as the founder of its discipline it's one way she can proclaim to be the greatest earthbender in the world. Lightning being more prominent isn't surprising either as it has peaceful applications especially with the ability to redirect it. Redirection also being easier than production.

I felt more violated by the things that happened in this episode than in all of Madoka.
All things considered, Madoka wasn't all that violating aside from ep. 3 which everyone and their mother gets spoiled anyway. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.
That's because Fate/Zero actually have good characters that you're interested in.
That seems a bit much. Madoka wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and the characters certainly didn't have the depth of, say, Evangelion's, but claiming that it has bad characters that people wouldn't/shouldn't be interested in? C'mon now.

That seems a bit much. Madoka wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and the characters certainly didn't have the depth of, say, Evangelion's, but claiming that it has bad characters that people wouldn't/shouldn't be interested in? C'mon now.
Homura was the only interesting character.

Narag

All things considered, Madoka wasn't all that violating aside from ep. 3 which everyone and their mother gets spoiled anyway. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

I was surprised I made it so long without being spoiled when I watched it recently. Such delightful wtf to be had.

Jex

Where did I claim that it had bad characters?

DiGiKerot

I've never seen a soundtrack in any of the DVD/BDs I've looked at or purchased.

Back when the US anime market was a bit more flush with cash, the +Soundtrack edition was a bit more common, mostly for Bandai stuff. Off the top of my head, .hack//SIGN, Wolfs Rain, GitS:SAC, Onegai Teacher, Onegai Twins, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Alchemist and Shana all definitely had +Soundtrack releases.

I think this probably all came to a bit of a head when Bandai really overreached with their release of the first season of Code Geass - the LEs not only shipped in overly elaborate boxes with the soundtracks and translations of the Japanese liner note booklets and manga and stuff, but they also came with dubbed versions of the Audio Drama CDs.

Needless to say, the R2 release was nowhere near as crazy.

Hayate no Gotoku s2 1

Might be my imagination, but the characters look a bit different. Can't quite put my finger on it though. I think Hinagku's hair color is a slightly different shade.

I laughed when
Himuro and Taiga just walked off when the maids showed up.
Off to a good start.

DiGiKerot

Hayate no Gotoku s2 1

Might be my imagination, but the characters look a bit different. Can't quite put my finger on it though. I think Hinagku's hair color is a slightly different shade.

Well, it's a completely different studio doing the second series. IIRC, it sticks to the manga way, way more rigidly, whereas the first season was pretty much 70% goofing around with stuff they made up on the spot.

It gives the whole series a pretty different tone which didn't sit all that well with a lot of people who got into the franchise with the first anime series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai 51+52

I'm been very vocal in the past about my dislike for the adventure-oriented episodes where all shit breaks loose and epic stuff has to happen, but this finale was entertaining nevertheless. Maybe I'm just a cheesy type of guy, but wedding stories hit me deeply and this serial managed to capture the fantastical side of that clusterfuck without cheapening it with theatrics about the end of the world and crap. It was a perfect mixture of seriousness and lightheartedness, and thankfully more of the latter. I don't think it was as strong as last season's finale, but it was nonetheless very entertaining. Some thoughts, however:

*They underplayed the incestuous themes. It looked like Twilight Sparkle was jealous of Cadence because of her oniichan love, but then they just played it as straight possessiveness. Yeah right.
*Fluttershy looked ridiculously moé in that bridesmaid dress.
*What the fuck was up with the way they kept drawing Shining Armour? You can see it clearly in this shot. His profile design has one of his eyes bulging out of his head. It looks creepy as fuck, like his pupil is about to burst out.
*The songs had a definitive Disney-vibe to them. The second one sounded like something Ursula from The Little Mermaid would come up.
*So it's pretty much confirmed ponies have sex. Goddammit.
*Where the fuck are Twilight Sparkle's parents? Are they dead? How did they die? Did Shining Armour enlist into Canterlot's army because he had to take care of his little imouto?

Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai FIN

Overall, I thought this season didn't live up to expectations. Too much meandering with unlikable brats and not enough moé featuring the regular cast. There were some gemes here and there, but not enough to retain my hype for next year, especially considering Lauren Faust is gone for realz this time. I give it three out of five Spikes.

Branduil

I'm very interested in seeing what happens to Kirei in the rest of Fate/Zero. He's the most unpredictable character because even he doesn't know what he wants yet.

Pachael

Well, it's a completely different studio doing the second series. IIRC, it sticks to the manga way, way more rigidly, whereas the first season was pretty much 70% goofing around with stuff they made up on the spot.

It gives the whole series a pretty different tone which didn't sit all that well with a lot of people who got into the franchise with the first anime series.

Yeah, SynergySP did great stuff with the first season. Goofing off Hayata is the best, though I can see why you'd want more alignment with the original source.

I don't think exposition means what you think it means.

To be fair, the show has a ton of exposition as it is. But you're right, Kiritsugu's speech is not exposition.

Yeah, I know it's from a different studio, so I figured that's why it looked a bit different.

Don't know how I feel about knowing they were goofing around a lot for the first season. I plan on starting the manga when I finish this one, so I hope it keeps up the same level of quality.

Branduil

CG Berserker is the best. I will strike down those who disagree with me by posting 5000 word rebuttals! :D

Your welcome to do so, but I don't think I would actually read 5000 words about something as boring as CG Berserker, so you'd only be wasting your own time.

Jex

Ore no Poni ga Konna ni Mahou Wake ga Nai FIN

Overall, I thought this season didn't live up to expectations. Too much meandering with unlikable brat and not enough moé featuring the regular cast. There were some gemes here and there, but not enough to retain my hype for next year, especially considering Lauren Faust is gone for realz this time. I give it three out of five Spikes.

So you're saying that you hate the Cuite Mark Crusaders?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So you're saying that you hate the Cuite Mark Crusaders?
Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom by themselves can be entertaining when they play up with their outlook on their respective family members (the Granny Smith episode was funny and unequivocally funny). It's the introduction of Poochie!Rainbow Dash and the stupid focus on "hey we wanna be typecast into a specific role for the rest of our lives" that makes them incredibly irritating to follow.
How do you even know what that is?
Everybody likes ponies. Some people are just not shameless enough to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom