• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
School Days 03

- imouto. oh no (but kinda oh yes).
- school council drama! If only this was a different anime, where bigger boobs = more respect.
- new challenger appears!
- ooh. cosplay. Do all girls with jobs in japan have to wear fetish uniforms? oh stripes.
- more boring stuff...
- onichan. reminds me of the school rumble girl.
- ooh first name.
- kiss on the cheek now? Is this what they call a foul ball and runner goes back a base?
- is kinda tiring... fuck... what does this mean???

what is gonna happen??? This show is pretty shit... but oddly compelling.

Branduil

It certainly seems like publishers are increasingly trying to push the limits of what they can charge. 2 episodes per volume seems increasingly common. This season we also have Sengoku Collection at 12 volumes for 7350 yen each - yes, you have to pay 88,200 yen for the privilege of owning all of Sengoku Collection. I recall the case of Nichijou as well, 13 volumes at 7980 yen each. I wonder how far this will go before it reaches the breaking point.

I thought 2 episodes per volume had always been the norm in Japan.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You're saying Kirei disguised himself as Rider? How did he manage to fly?
That isn't who I picked out. The Rider who showed up in that scene is in all likelihood a Servant based on what they were capable of doing. Of the Servants left how many show violent tendencies that would leave Maiya dead? Rider would be an extremely unlikely choice. The options that remain are Berserker or Archer being controlled with a command. Of the two which might have the capacity for the disguise?

Additionally, Rider has nothing to gain from the kidnapping. He is focused on taking down one Servant after another in battle, and Saber is next. His intention is to put her in her place with a display of his power. Resorting to underhanded tricks wouldn't accomplish this, and if it was a battle he was after he simply could have waited there and had his fight with Saber. There is no real logical reason for it to be the real Rider who attacked.

Branduil

That isn't who I picked out. The Rider who showed up in that scene is in all likelihood a Servant based on what they were capable of doing. Of the Servants left how many show violent tendencies that would leave Maiya dead? Rider would be an extremely unlikely choice. The options that remain are Berserker or Archer being controlled with a command. Of the two which might have the capacity for the disguise?

Additionally, Rider has nothing to gain from the kidnapping. He is focused on taking down one Servant after another in battle, and Saber is next. His intention is to put her in her place with a display of his power. Resorting to underhanded tricks wouldn't accomplish this, and if it was a battle he was after he simply could have waited there and had his fight with Saber. There is no real logical reason for it to be the real Rider who attacked.

When has either of those characters demonstrated the ability to
disguise themselves as another person
?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Queen's Blade Rebellion 7,350 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 44,100 yen
Nyaruko 7,350 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 44,100 yen
Dusk Maiden 7,350 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 44,100 yen
Medaka Box 7,350 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 44,100 yen
ZETMAN 7,140 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 42,840 yen
Saki - Achigahen 7,140 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 42,840 yen
Sankarea 7,140 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) B]42,840 yen[/B]
Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan 6825 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 40,950 yen
Mysterious Girlfriend X 6825 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 40,950 yen

Strike Witches 2 9,240 yen @ six discs (12 episodes) 55,440 yen
Being Japanese is suffering.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I was reading the IS! manga (it's a 4koma spinoff series, moderately amusing), and it told me that pika-tan actually has a name. Yeah, I don't remember it being mentioned in the anime... probably was somewhere, I assume, but I forget. Anyway, she's Nohohon-san.

Ah, yeah. We'll have to see, but my guess would be something like the first anime ending, with a suggestion of what's going to happen next...
She becomes a real character in the sequel that will never come. Too bad!

And, the difference with Saki this time around is that there`s actually stuff that they could potentially adapt for a proper sequel to the original Saki... so, they could set up that with a final scene that`s like "meanwhile in the B group..."

Branduil

Here's some of mine of the top of my head

The Girl who leapt through Time 3.5/10(this has the worst last quarter/35mins I 've ever seen

ibeviFp93AfBjK.gif

the real prices are a little lower for all BDs. Amazon for example has the BDs for ~5,500Yen

although it doesn't make it better

She becomes a real character in the sequel that will never come. Too bad!
Why must you remind me about how cruel it is that we will never get that which we most want... :(

Obviously what I most want is Despera, but IS S2 would be on the list, darnit!

Oh, and really, Pika-tan/Nohohon actually becomes more of a character? She's one of the best characters, so that makes it even more unfortunate. (Oh, and IS! is pretty generic, but entertaining often enough to keep going. Not as special as the anime, for sure, though.)

And, the difference with Saki this time around is that there`s actually stuff that they could potentially adapt for a proper sequel to the original Saki... so, they could set up that with a final scene that`s like "meanwhile in the B group..."
That's true, they could do that.

dimb

When has either of those characters demonstrated the ability to
disguise themselves as another person
?
They haven't, but we know the least about Berserker's capabilities or identity. We still don't really know anything about him, even this late into the show's lifespan. He never really falls under the spotlight outside of combat. The show has been deliberately vague about him since he first arrived. Of course the episode title alludes to Assassin still somehow being around in some form, so who really knows. Either way, the only person ruled out is Rider.

Branduil

They haven't, but we know the least about Berserker's capabilities or identity. We still don't really know anything about him, even this late into the show's lifespan. He never really falls under the spotlight outside of combat. The show has been deliberately vague about him since he first arrived. Of course the episode title alludes to Assassin still somehow being around in some form, so who really knows. Either way, the only person ruled out is Rider.

I don't see the motivation for impersonating Rider, though. What do they gain by pretending to be another servant?

/XX/

Yeah, apparently the Upotte guy has done some adult doujins with his own characters in them.
But the Rufuira!! ones aren't adult-only 'dōjin', at least the two volumes released as those are about everyday life stories, and for the moment it has centered on the three main representative High Grade girls in the same way that Upotte!! Nano includes more parallel stories about the Primary Grade ones, although this later spin-off can be a bit more random. Anyway, all that about Rufuira!! could change on future numbers... if he keeps doing them, of course.

And Kitsune Tennōji has a website dedicated to his self-published works. Be advised; the following link could lead to explicit content... please, check the indications carefully!

同人サークル「わくわく動物園」ウェブサイト/18歳未満閲覧禁止
http://wakuwaku-zoo.info/index.html

School Days 04

- oh god. salt goggles are beeping. Can't tell if I really love or really hate this MC.
- oh, decent boob jiggle... oh, bare nipples. Didn't know this was that kind of show.
- This show is getting a bit formulatic with makoto rushing something something, kiss with train passing by.
- more boob antics.
- practice partner. special training. ahhh yeah.
- ahhh yeaaah. practice ;)
- about time for a 'misunderstanding' soon right?
- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

Something is gonna go wrong... right?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
School Days 04

- oh god. salt goggles are beeping. Can't tell if I really love or really hate this MC.
- oh, decent boob jiggle... oh, bare nipples. Didn't know this was that kind of show.
- This show is getting a bit formulatic with makoto rushing something something, kiss with train passing by.
- more boob antics.
- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

sonicmj1

I don't see the motivation for impersonating Rider, though. What do they gain by pretending to be another servant?

They would
provoke a fight between Saber and Rider, forcing them to expend energy when they're both already spent from the river conflict, and then either mop up the loser or strike while one is distracted. Kiritsugu has already demonstrated how useful a battle distraction can be with his kill of Ryuunosuke.

I'm also in the
not-Rider camp, because this really doesn't seem like his style. He's not exactly an uber-moral idealist, but challenging Saber in this way seems to run counter to his stated goals of showing her why living entirely for the sake of her country is wrong.

dimb

I suppose it depends on who it was specifically to understand the exact motivation, but in spite of Kiritsugu's coldness his weak point is the people he surrounds himself with. By going after them and impersonating Rider it refocuses Kiritsugu's lethal attention on to another target while potentially destabilizing him to make irrational mistakes.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 04

- more boob antics.
- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

Tee hee hee

School Days 04

- more boob antics.

- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

I'm pretty sure that something already has.

I don't remember my School Days having bare nipples. :(

But the Rufuira!! ones aren't adult-only 'dōjin', at least the two volumes released as those are about everyday life stories, and for the moment it has centered on the three main representative High Grade girls in the same way that Upotte!! Nano includes more parallel stories about the Primary Grade ones, although this later spin-off can be a bit more random. Anyway, all that about Rufuira!! could change on future numbers... if he keeps doing them, of course.

And Kitsune Tennōji has a website dedicated to his self-published works. Be advised; the following link could lead to explicit content... please, check the indications carefully!

同人サークル「わくわく動物園」ウェブサイト/18歳未満閲覧禁止
http://wakuwaku-zoo.info/index.html

I hope not! the slice of life stories about the high school girl are extremely cute.

Thoraxes

School Days 04

- more boob antics.
- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

Are you going into this with virgin knowledge on the show?

If so, I will be intently following you.

School Days 5

man.jpg

Awww yeah

- Pool time potential!
- People always talk about 'friend zone' gals in harems, but the one that usually has it the worst is the male best friend...
- boobs
- oh nvm. best friend might not have it so bad.
- So much gif potential that would probably get me banned.
- boobs hug
- "I need more training". Makoto is swag+.
- uh oh. Makoto getting bored with boobs. Genki>boobs? At least tap that first!
- oh, friendzoned by the girl?
- WOAH. That ending.

I really should just watch the last 2 min of each eps eh?

wonzo

Banned
School Days 1

Kinda real time impressions:

- Oh everyone has normal hair color.
- Damn these girls have huge eyes.
- Damn all these girls look kinda the same up close when you can't see their hair differences.
- This main characters VA is kinda annoying.
- oh snap confession in episode 1??? Is this gonna go all mgx?
- WHAT THE FUCK.
- kiss you what who already now no

This show is amazing.
School day 2

- Spent way too much brainpower trying to understand this OP. What is gonna happen??
- Boobs
- This MC is kinda of a dick
- That slap was delicious and deserved.
- Normally this would be Bad End... but anime.
- liking the whole communication between notes. Flows well.
- normal romdrama stuff...
- Boobs!
- Chuuuuu

Fuck this show is moving fast.
School Days 03

- imouto. oh no (but kinda oh yes).
- school council drama! If only this was a different anime, where bigger boobs = more respect.
- new challenger appears!
- ooh. cosplay. Do all girls with jobs in japan have to wear fetish uniforms? oh stripes.
- more boring stuff...
- onichan. reminds me of the school rumble girl.
- ooh first name.
- kiss on the cheek now? Is this what they call a foul ball and runner goes back a base?
- is kinda tiring... fuck... what does this mean???

what is gonna happen??? This show is pretty shit... but oddly compelling.
School Days 04

- more boob antics.
- NTR NTR NTR.
- Dis gunna be gud.

School Days 5

- Pool time potential!
- People always talk about 'friend zone' gals in harems, but the one that usually has it the worst is the male best friend...
- boobs
- oh nvm. best friend might not have it so bad.
- So much gif potential that would probably get me banned.
- boobs hug
- "I need more training". Makoto is swag+.
- uh oh. Makoto getting bored with boobs. Genki>boobs? At least tap that first!
- oh, friendzoned by the girl?
- WOAH. That ending.
oh boy
I really should just watch the last 2 min of each eps eh?
hell no!

spittake7vg.gif
what a fucking scam

I'm pretty sure that something already has.

I don't remember my School Days having bare nipples. :(
there's bare nipples in the uncensored dvd version!

/XX/

I hope not! the slice of life stories about the high school girl are extremely cute.
Yeah! Many authors don't cave in to make that kind of 'ero-dōjin' in the case of their most successful and inoffensive type of works... and as it is habitual that they progressively abandon with time making such explicit things in general, I don't see him changing it either.

duckroll

Gyo

I feel kinda sick now. It sucks because now I might not have appetite for dinner. Definitely a poor personal decision to watch an adaptation of a Junji Ito manga before eating. I might need to go check something cute out to wash this guro taste out of my mind. I feel like Cajunator on a bad day now. I could do with some serious Hnnnnngh at the moment. >_<

Overall I felt it was a very interesting adaptation. There are some massive changes from the manga, and while it retains the essence of the bizarre horror that Ito is known for, it also chooses to change much of the story to create a more traditional narrative of a horror piece. I think on a whole the direction is a success in terms of what they were going for, but the story still lacks an emotional core.

Taken on it's own without referencing the original material, the story definitely works. There are no inconsistencies or contradictions, so the script is relatively strong in that aspect. My main issue with it is that the main purpose of the changes seem to have been aimed at giving the story a stronger narrative voice, and character development to make us care about the journey. Here it isn't quite as successful because we really don't ever learn much about Tadashi, so it's hard to care that Kaori cares for him so much.

As far as the rest of the material goes, this is a pretty successful visual journey into disturbing and gross horror. It's not so extreme that it would turn every single person off, but it remains repulsive enough to leave a very bad taste in the mouth. One major aspect of the manga is the escalation of the horror, and that is one area I felt the anime really delivered in. As the feature went on, it just got more and more disturbing and weirder, both story-wise and visually. The music was also a pretty solid complement to the visuals, and the decision to go with a more orchestral sort of soundtrack was a great decision.

I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" this at all, but for this sort of material I don't think that's a negative comment. Instead, like the manga, I appreciate what they were going for, and it's a pretty solid "what if" horror tale with nice references to both man-made horrors as well as the possibility of the total unknown. It would be interesting to see an anime adaptation of HP Lovecraft's material done with this sort of care imo.

Note: No screen caps this time because I don't really want to go through it again, and right now I really need to go look for some HNNNNNNNGH material to recover... x_X

Branduil

Gyo

I feel kinda sick now. It sucks because now I might not have appetite for dinner. Definitely a poor personal decision to watch an adaptation of a Junji Ito manga before eating. I might need to go check something cute out to wash this guro taste out of my mind. I feel like Cajunator on a bad day now. I could do with some serious Hnnnnngh at the moment. >_<

Overall I felt it was a very interesting adaptation. There are some massive changes from the manga, and while it retains the essence of the bizarre horror that Ito is known for, it also chooses to change much of the story to create a more traditional narrative of a horror piece. I think on a whole the direction is a success in terms of what they were going for, but the story still lacks an emotional core.

Taken one it's own without referencing the original material, the story definitely works. There are no inconsistencies or contradictions, so the script is relatively strong in that aspect. My main issue with it is that the main purpose of the changes seem to have been aimed at giving the story a stronger narrative voice, and character development to make us care about the journey. Here it isn't quite as successful because we really don't ever learn much about Tadashi, so it's hard to care that Kaori cares for him so much.

As far as the rest of the material goes, this is a pretty successful visual journey into disturbing and gross horror. It's not so extreme that it would turn every single person off, but it remains repulsive enough to leave a very bad taste in the mouth. One major aspect of the manga is the escalation of the horror, and that is one area I felt the anime really delivered in. As the feature went on, it just got more and more disturbing and weirder, both story-wise and visually. The music was also a pretty solid complement to the visuals, and the decision to go with a more orchestral sort of soundtrack was a great decision.

I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" this at all, but for this sort of material I don't think that's a negative comment. Instead, like the manga, I appreciate what they were going for, and it's a pretty solid "what if" horror tale with nice references to both man-made horrors as well as the possibility of the total unknown. It would be interesting to see an anime adaptation of HP Lovecraft's material done with this sort of care imo.

Note: No screen caps this time because I don't really want to go through it again, and right now I really need to go look for some HNNNNNNNGH material to recover... x_X

You should watch Wasurenagumo, it's pretty cute.

School Days 6

-
Just dump the girl already
!!!! oh wait... anime
- Makoto is an amazing anime character... but is he like this in the VN? I'd feel terrible playing that.
- Wow... the mood switch. I guess this ain't your light hearted romcom eh? It is still kinda funny in it's own way ;)
- Man I love the 'dead eyes'. it's soooo good ;)
- Gotta love how the only one that doesn't give a fuck about anything is makoto.

And i'm only half way done!!! This show... is ... ... ...

cajunator

Banned
Gyo

Taken one it's own without referencing the original material, the story definitely works. There are no inconsistencies or contradictions, so the script is relatively strong in that aspect. My main issue with it is that the main purpose of the changes seem to have been aimed at giving the story a stronger narrative voice, and character development to make us care about the journey. Here it isn't quite as successful because we really don't ever learn much about Tadashi, so it's hard to care that Kaori cares for him so much.

Gyo seems intriguing, but probably for the wrong reasons.

Here's something weird and cute to help you along your way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGesPCseMPQ

karobit

I think the recasting in Gyo really served to water down the manga. Would it have worked in animated form with it's borderline misogynistic view of Kaori? Maybe not. But her jealousy in the manga is what fuels her independent will (same for Koyanagi), which is a little less cliche than the true love approach the anime takes with regards to the necrotized Tadashi.

It also just really illuminated how differently I approach anime as opposed to manga. When I read Gyo, I was cognizant of the fact that it was created by one guy, this disturbed creative weird brilliant dentist. This information then has effect on how I react to what I read -- I'm much more likely to sympathize or associate with his idiosyncrasies because I recognize him as an individual and I relate to him. With the anime, I'm aware that it's a work created by a large number of people, who had to come to group decisions and compromises over how to adapt this and structure it. My knowledge of that process then informed my somewhat negative reaction to it, particularly exploitative scenes like the one with the squid. I'm not saying I'm right to have this reaction to it, but I think it's interesting that I would have these different responses simply because of the medium.

School Day 7

- Denial, or are all big boobs kinda... slow?
- loli getting the pieces moving!
- RAIN SYMBOLIZES TEARS!
- Wait wasn't genki ... friends with boobs?
- Boobs is gonna.. burst someday... eh?
- aaaahhhhh...

I'm still confused... what is makoto? He definitely ain't... anime.

He's... more?

Thoraxes

School Day 7

- Denial, or are all big boobs kinda... slow?
- loli getting the pieces moving!
- RAIN SYMBOLIZES TEARS!
- Wait wasn't genki ... friends with boobs?
- Boobs is gonna.. burst someday... eh?
- aaaahhhhh...

I'm still confused... what is makoto? He definitely ain't... anime.

He's... more?

I almost feel like I should post what can happen to the loli in the VN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom