• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Sounds great.

And by great I mean awful. Is
Berserker that awful looking CG thing that sort of resembles the skeleton from those Golgo 13 shots Jex posted a few days ago with a bunch of digital noise hovering from his presence
near the end of ep1? If so, LOL. Duckroll's got some 'splainin to do.

Yeah, I guess he did appear in one shot in episode 1.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Reading Lovecraft is not necessary. You only really need to know the basics.

I don't expect many people got the overt amount of Lovecraft homages in the 2nd episode.

Nyarlathotep (Which hopefully at least one person googled)
Cthulhu (Pretty well known so I expect people to at least know this)
Dagon
Hydra
R'lyeh
Innsmouth
Madness Mountain (Really The Mountains of Madness)
Leng Plateau
Arkham
Nodens
Cthuga

So outside of the omg lololol weird space girlfriend with ahoge and space CQC, this is the majority of the jokes that take at least some general knowledge of Lovecraft's works and the mythos that people later added to, to get a decent amount of the humor on Nyalko. I wouldn't really call those basics, though a quick run down on Wikipedia of things like Innsmouth will give you a decent idea of the joke after I listed them, most people probably didn't know what it was referring to when mentioning the mascot.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

cajunator

Banned
I know almost nothing about Lovecraft's works so I am approaching Nyaruko san the way I would imagine people approached Upotte without much knowledge of guns and gun culture. Pretty much just enjoying as I go and looking up things i didnt understand.

Trojita

I know almost nothing about Lovecraft's works so I am approaching Nyaruko san the way I would imagine people approached Upotte without much knowledge of guns and gun culture. Pretty much just enjoying as I go and looking up things i didnt understand.

Upotte is pretty straightfoward with everything, and you don't really need to know much. For example the skeleton stock.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 3

POCIA.jpg

Oh... So
Kanoe
Kirie, huh? That's an interesting connection. And
there's another spirit?

I still don't know if I like the weird balance between serious scenes and funny/moe scenes in this. I guess my final impressions will depend on which path the plot takes.

The scene that showed Teiichi "entranced" by Yuuko seemed so cheap in comparison to the similar one in Hyouka, haha.

The "uh nya uh nya uh nya" part was really embarassing, haha.

Master Keaton 26

People really underestimate the power of icicles. That shit could cause some serious damage.

I feel like this was at least partially based on a real story. There any well-known Olympic people that became homeless?

Heartcatch Precure 35-36

Well that was a crappy school festival arc. Nothing interesting happened.

Heartcatch Precure 37

Naked truth lies only if you realize, appearing in nobody's eyes till they sterilize, Stop the guerrilla warfare to keep it fair, Bro change your rage to a smarter greater cause, You know the stake is high stardom is near, Those who sympathized you die killers pass you by, Do not waste your time in hating flirting guys, Use your might to AIs do justice to them all

Now I face out I hold out, I reach out to the truth of my life, Seeking to seize on the whole moment to now break away

Oh God let me out, Can you let me out, Can you set me free from this dark inner world, Save me now, Last beat in the soul

Trojita

I find it funny that Dogan, who out of any of the weird deities Lovecraft created, is possibly one of the only deities that is pretty much neutral but benefits Mankind by killing creatures in the Dreamlands and sometimes has even helped human's directly, is a comical villain in Nyarlko.

wonzo

Banned
Moe Lovecraft 3

Meh, this is starting to get real old real fast. I'll probably drop it in an ep or two.

Ano Natsu FIN:

I liked Onegai Teacher and I think I enjoyed this one even more. The plot moved well and the ending was perfect. Ichika was an excellent alien
waifu
and Kanna made for a great character
who will die alone.
Sound like you're talking about
Kanna's 10 babies when she's 40 years old and still getting drunk every night and spilling her sagging body into that cat maid outfit.
Damn. That's ice cold
but true.

Here's the KyoAni commercial that aired during Hyouka. It's animated in a style very much unlike what one typically associates with the studio.
KyoAni continues to own.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Meandering entities of chaos in the infinite of nothingness bent of the pointless destruction of the world or something like that seems to be the gist of the articles I've read so far.

Hyouka 1:
A very enjoyable first episode. The production values are high, and the characters stand out right away. I really had a lot of fun watching it. The 'mysteries' aren't necessarily anything complex, but they worked for getting to see the characters interact. Houtarou is a pretty decent and down to earth lead character, and the show managed to pull some surprises by not getting us to close to his mind. The music also really stood out to me. I'm interested in seeing what kind of stories the show has in store.

Trojita

Meandering entities of chaos in the infinite of nothingness bent of the pointless destruction of the world or something like that seems to be the gist of the articles I've read so far.

Destruction of the world? lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Destruction of the world? lol.

According to the Necronomicon, Nyarlathotep will play some part in the End Time. It is stated that he will allow Nyogtha to wipe the Earth clean in preparation for the return of the Great Old Ones

Well I suppose destruction and giving it a bath are a bit different. My mistake.

BluWacky

So outside of the omg lololol weird space girlfriend with ahoge and space CQC, this is the majority of the jokes that take at least some general knowledge of Lovecraft's works and the mythos that people later added to, to get a decent amount of the humor on Nyalko.

Is any of it actually funny? I mean, I'm not a Lovecraft expert, but I do own the complete works and I've read most of them. I can imagine a Lovecraft parody being vaguely amusing, but this just seems like it's a magical girlfriend show with things named after stuff in Lovecraft.

They seem like nice girls. I hope doing that was worth it for them. So many anison/idol-type singers look like they hate their jobs...

Trojita

Well I suppose destruction and giving it a bath are a bit different. My mistake.

I was going to mention this earlier but I guess I'll mention it now.

There is a split among readers of Lovecraft's works and the fans of Ctuhlu mythos as to which works are essentially canon. Some people think Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos ends at his works, other people incorporate the Ctulhu mythos works that authors created after Lovecraft died. A big split among people is the fact that a group called the Elder Gods were created, essentially described as good compared to the Old Gods evil, and many people did not like having a good force in the Cthulu mythos.

Nyogtha was not a deity Lovecraft created.

Trojita

Is any of it actually funny? I mean, I'm not a Lovecraft expert, but I do own the complete works and I've read most of them. I can imagine a Lovecraft parody being vaguely amusing, but this just seems like it's a magical girlfriend show with things named after stuff in Lovecraft.

It can be best described as

lol Space Girlfriend MC has no interest in
Space CQC (The joke is that she calls it this but uses grenades and a Sentai Suit)
A bunch of Cthulu references interspersed.
Anime references like One Piece.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A bunch of Cthulu references interspersed.
Anime references like One Piece.

So not only do I have to learn about Lovecraft 'n' co and which is which, but also watch One Piece. This list of requirements is getting longer by the minute.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So not only do I have to learn about Lovecraft 'n' co and which is which, but also watch One Piece. This list of requirements is getting longer by the minute.

You're missing the point.

The anime is full of references, but you don't need to understand them all. Hell, no one here gets every single reference in an episode. Surely you'll get some of them, and that's enough.

Kimi to Boku 2 ep 4
tumblr_m2y4j3Mzt91r5ikm3o1_500.gif

I almost thought the ktb homa rangers were going to return, but darn, at least my favorite secondary character from first season was there. Fun episode overall, enjoyed seeing more of Yuki and Yuta, of the five they are the most interesting.
Theyre argument was entertaining

Cleaning on new years eve seemed odd, shouldnt people rest and relax, they made it seem like a big deal.

jman2050

Is any of it actually funny?

I think it's funny but, of course, YMMV.

I mean, I'm not a Lovecraft expert, but I do own the complete works and I've read most of them. I can imagine a Lovecraft parody being vaguely amusing, but this just seems like it's a magical girlfriend show with things named after stuff in Lovecraft.

And there's a problem with this because...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SKET Dance 01:

tvi7z.jpg

Hamsters aren't as well-behaved as they are too dumb and primitive to have any free will.

cosmic managed to persuade me into giving this a try after I found out that it was directed by the same guy who did Hayate no Gotoku S1 and Zettai Karen Children. I've been lamenting the seemingly-permanent hibernation of SynergySP and apparently this series is the next-best thing.

Sooooooo, this is pretty shounen, but as a semi-shounenbro I don't consider this a criticism, just an observation. My sole actual problem with this is probably Bossun's design, as he's far and away the most punchable shounen protagonist I've ever seen between his cat-eared toboggan/miner helmet/whatever, goggles, sk8r wristband, and assortment of youthful pinbacks. It would also seem that this show follows the familiar concept of "group of misfits in an organization whose purpose is to solve other peoples' problems", which isn't terribly promising, but it's at least better than Medaka Box after one episode. Give it to me straight: does this eventually devolve into battle shounen?

The episode was predictably introductory, and I really have to say that I'm overjoyed that boring guy
isn't actually going to be a main cast member. Because he was boring
. I have a ton of series that I'm technically marathoning right now (albeit at a glacial pace) so I don't expect to make huge progress on this show, but I'll provide commentary whenever I feel compelled to watch more. The early episodes of most long-running shounen are an absolute chore to get through, so it's probably better if I take this really slowly anyway.

xoomE.jpg

Is this a Bleach reference? Is that just a bad translation of Visored?

SKET Dance 01:

Sooooooo, this is pretty shounen, but as a semi-shounenbro I don't consider this a criticism, just an observation. My sole actual problem with this is probably Bossun's design, as he's far and away the most punchable shounen protagonist I've ever seen between his cat-eared toboggan/miner helmet/whatever, goggles, sk8r wristband, and assortment of youthful pinbacks. It would also seem that this show follows the familiar concept of "group of misfits in an organization whose purpose is to solve other peoples' problems", which isn't terribly promising, but it's at least better than Medaka Box after one episode. Give it to me straight: does this eventually devolve into battle shounen?

No.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 1-26 (COMPLETE) - This show reminds me of those 90s cartoons I grew up watching, it's the kind of children's show that doesn't feel to childish to watch despite it's subject manner, and it's charming and a lot of fun to watch because of that. You get nice children-friendly messages about friendship and whatnot and don't feel gaga over how they are executed!

Not a big fan of the art or the flash animation, but I was actually pretty impressed by the animation on a technical level, there's a lot of excellently animated expressions and gags, I think the variety of pony avatars you see on GAF and the internet taken straight from the show, is a testament to that in a way.:lol

Not so sure if it's worthy of the hype it receives on the internet, but it was definitely watch-able, and will probably get around to Season 2 sooner then later!

Also pony rankings - Fluttershy > Rainbow Dash > Twilight sparkle > Apple jack > Pinkie pie > Rarity.

Sakamichi no Treme 1-5 - This is really good, it has a nice "slice-of-life" feel to the narrative that's quite refreshing in comparison to most plot-driven television, everything from the direction, writing and cinematography is top-notch too, I also love how organically they infuse the music performances within the story reminds me of Kids on the slope in that sense. And man I can't comprehend on how so many people find this "boring" to watch, every episode has gone by fast for me, it's weird, not to mention Annie is so damn moe and adorable to watch~ don't really care about her BF that much though.

survivor

Banned
Saki 1

I watched the first episode again after reading bit of the rules about mahjong. I was still confused since apparently I read the Chinese one and the Japanese one uses different terms or something. Oh well, at least I was able to tell what the tiles mean.

I find it funny how they keep hyping Saki for the wrong reason. It's not that she is skilled, but it's cause she got superhuman luck.

SKET Dance 01:
The episode was predictably introductory, and I really have to say that I'm overjoyed that boring guy
. I have a ton of series that I'm technically marathoning right now (albeit at a glacial pace) so I don't expect to make huge progress on this show, but I'll provide commentary whenever I feel compelled to watch more. The early episodes of most long-running shounen are an absolute chore to get through, so it's probably better if I take this really slowly anyway.

Sket dance was my favorite long running, I started this year. Bossun is really fun and all the character interactions as well as all the side characters. I think I ran through 40 or so episodes in a weekend. I like catching the random references, seem to make a lot of Jump related ones.

The first OP makes it worth it and compelling. The beat and then "I love you." Kind of want to start back from episode 1 now.

Just make it to episode 25. After that, you can watch 1 episode a year if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom