• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos54

In the context of the show, it probably doesn't matter. A ton of things have already been changed and it's definitely going to have an original ending.

In the context of the manga, hell yeah important stuff happens.

Hmm... Well then I better go read the manga then. So many things, so little time.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Simoun 26 [FINAL]

pic_simoun.jpg

I am so damn confused. Throughout this episode they flipped back and forth from the (past) present to the future. The only thing I understood at all from this episode was the big hint that Onashia was Dominura. And what the hell was up with that metaphoric ending for Aeru and Neviril? Why couldn't they just have them land in the same world where Dominura and Limone were at? Hell, I would've been happy with an ending where they just landed at some random location and shared a kiss. But instead we're left with no clue on where they ended up or if they were ever successful in finding Amuria.

Why in the hell is it that writers have this need to leave shows of this length with lose ends.. I hate speculating. Give me an ending.. Aeru and Neviril could've been sitting on some grassy hill for all I care, holding hands, and that would've been fine. See? I'm not hard to please. :(

That aside this show really surprised me. Would definitely recommend checking it out for those who have the time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
In the context of the show, it probably doesn't matter. A ton of things have already been changed and it's definitely going to have an original ending.

In the context of the manga, hell yeah important stuff happens.

That's bizarre. I guess I'll go read the manga after the show's done, then.

That's what they said? Holy shit. I still have yet to watch the first episode.

I'm more of a classical pianist than a jazz one, but I thought Kids on the Slope did a really good job of displaying the differences between approaching jazz as a clueless outsider and as someone who's lived and breathed that sort of music, through its contrast of Kaoru and Sentarou both in personality and performance. It certainly resonated with me and my feeble attempts at jazz improv. The soundtrack sounds fine to me, highly polished (as expected from Kanno) and idiomatic. It may not be on the level of the great historical jazz artists who previously performed the standards it uses, but it would be silly to expect that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Apollon soundtrack sounds like "Real Jazz" to me. But I'm pretty casual with my jazz.

DTL's acceptance of all shounen traits, plots and "isms". Rewatching certain shounen arcs over again and again. The way he presents his opinions on the subject.

cosmic, his power levels are past mortal understanding!

His power levels are gotten through a broken scouter. I am the true iconoclast!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll try and watch the first couple of episodes on comment that. It seems parts of this OST aren't all Jazz in the genre sense (at least it appears so) which I should suspect of an OST for a show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why do people keep saying I am below DTL in shounen power :/

I don't think that you've reached the point where you enjoy all works because of the genre and completely without regard to their individual quality. Clearly, you haven't trained hard enough!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't think that you've reached the point where you enjoy all works because of the genre and completely without regard to their individual quality. Clearly, you haven't trained hard enough!

Yeah, I've yet to start doubting cosmic's sanity.

You need to try harder, man.

Don't do it.

Ultimadrago

I suppose now's not a good time to mention that Red Fraction is also the OP for the OVAs, albeit as a remix.

D'oh. Well, at least it's a remix.

His power levels are gotten through a broken scouter. I am the true iconoclast!

You are not ignored, cosmic! Your great power is more simply more refined and polished.

DTL is an uninhibited shounen beast feasting on the bones of the weak!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Also hearing 42 second samples isn't the best way to sample (pun intended) the quality of a piece of music.

duckroll

That's what they said? Holy shit. I still have yet to watch the first episode.

The main character is trained in classical piano. He's very good with precise tunes. His introduction into Jazz is through a delinquent class mate who plays drums, and the guy criticizes him for not having any swing and emotion. He says that unless you are able to "feel" it, it's not Jazz.

I'll try and watch the first couple of episodes on comment that. It seems parts of this OST aren't all Jazz in the genre sense (at least it appears so) which I should suspect of an OST for a show.

Kanno is definitely not using a traditional jazz style for most of her original tracks. She tends to be eclectic in the kinds of music she steals from is inspired by.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know. It is this weird feeling, but something is missing. Real Jazz I find resonates with a soul that reaches the listener. It's like someone playing Blue's music that hasn't gone through a lot.

A great composer can write a great piece of music, a musician that can play every note plays the music given to them, but it still won't sound the same as a decently composed song played by someone that is pouring their everything into the music.

It's hard to explain.

I like experimentation in music as well. I bought and enjoyed Yo-Yo Ma's The Goat Rodeo Sessions CD and enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of the sounds mixed here seem kind of off, or maybe the highs of the Sax are being flattened, I'm not sure.

I think what you're trying to say is, "it's the notes they're not playing, man!"

survivor

Banned
Zetman 4

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I fucking knew they were going to cut out the mansion party arc. I fuckin knew it! reopiwnlcvvnjtreiotpqsmnl;ashjoireqyjhoinhbklfxnjgosjutopeiwgyopiadsoibjodsflkhknlgnklopoiopyoiggoisda8tyweqdfokishhoigbdfiohdsg.mkashnkjr69805-4790-kbvlnrg

We are now on chapter 70 of the manga. Chapter 70! This is episode 4! This pacing, man >_>
I'm glad I decided to go for the manga instead. This kind of crazy pacing can't be good

I like experimentation in music as well. I bought and enjoyed Yo-Yo Ma's The Goat Rodeo Sessions CD and enjoyed the hell out of it. Some of the sounds mixed here seem kind of off, or maybe the highs of the Sax are being flattened, I'm not sure.

Er... I don't think there's saxophone in any of the tracks.

Every single battle in this show makes me rage. The characters' powers are wildly inconsistent and are generally either arbitrarily nerfed or powered up based on what most benefits the plot. Natsu's strongest attack for the entire series is going to be IT'S THE ARC CLIMAX.

Don't love erza .. don't do what i did .... Erza is a damn fine character BUT

Every arc , the author either nerf her , make her disapear or find another Weird explanation for her to lose ..Unbelievable ..it's like the author knows that if she is around , the fights won't last more than 5 secs..

At his point i read fairy tail only to see how she will get nerfed and disapear only to come back and win despite being nerfed .. ( she won ? but only to lose against the true final boss of that arc that only natsu can beat)

Each FT arc must start by a deus ex machina or a plot device preventing Erza from winning her fights or being unable to progress with the rest of the cast...

Every arc , the author either nerf her , make her disapear or find another Weird explanation for her to lose ..Unbelievable ..it's like the author knows that if she is around , the fights won't last more than 5 secs..

At his point i read fairy tail only to see how she will get nerfed and disapear only to come back and win despite being nerfed .. ( she won ? but only to lose against the true final boss of that arc that only natsu can beat)

Each FT arc must start by a deus ex machina or a plot device preventing Erza from winning her fights or being unable to progress with the rest of the cast...

Which fairy tail are you following? In my rewatch of the anime theres been arcs where she wins more than one fight. I think its acceptable if mashima has removed her presence from being involved in many fights as he likes to cater to the characters that he knows we like, the dragonslayers, gray, the cool ones.

frostbyte

Naruto SD 04
0WPCm.gif

Okama Kenpo go!
Pretty good episode. I liked the first one with trying to prove Guy innocent and his ripped offnew kenpo style. The second part started decently with Thousand Year of Pain, but kinda kept going with that and got ridiculous at the end.

I almost want to ask about that gif but I'm not sure if I want to know.

I don't know. It is this weird feeling, but something is missing. Real Jazz I find resonates with a soul that reaches the listener. It's like someone playing Blue's music that hasn't gone through a lot.

A great composer can write a great piece of music, a musician that can play every note plays the music given to them, but it still won't sound the same as a decently composed song played by someone that is pouring their everything into the music.

It's hard to explain.

I don't claim to know jazz at all as I only play classical but that statement's definitely true. Simply playing the notes doesn't express the essence of the music and the composer's intent. The song played may sound great but it feels artificial and hollow and doesn't do justice to the piece. I know this all too well since I suffered from this problem for a long time; I could play the song on a technical level but there was no personality and soul behind the melody.

----------------------------------
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 3

Haven't gotten tired of Nyaruko's antics. This show is such a guilty pleasure.

and the OP is stuck in my head. It's on par with Someone Wan Wan Wan in terms of catchiness.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe not percentage wise, but I do think over 90 of the series listed in this thread are solid, all ranging from good to excellent.

Unless that's a complete list of every shounen manga ever produced, I think that proves that you've actively weeded out works that you don't believe belong in the list. Why would you want to deny that you have standards? :p

I would be far more surprised if this ended up not being the case. I've read a few arcs into the manga, so I know that no one regardless of strength is allowed to steal even an ounce of Natsu's thunder.
Is there at least some impressive eye candy to be had?

zeroshiki

You can always take the coward's way out cosmic. We can ask Jex to pick up a monocle on his way home (since they sell these on the streets in Britain, right)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Before you know it, cosmic will have traveled up on the monocle scale!

Hey, aren't we about due for an update?

I think you should strip him of his tag. He is a disgrace to the Shounenbro name.

I always thought that there was a slight against shounen fans embedded in cosmic's tag. Iconoclast kind of implies that it's not common for people who like shounen to enjoy other genres or be able to defend/promote the genre in an intelligent, reasoned way like cosmic does, and I think that most of us would dispute such an assertion!

I like cosmic's tag, though. Out of everyone in AnimeGAF, I would argue that cosmic is the most unpredictable in whether or not he'll like or dislike a certain series. He has totally unique standards, and I mean this in the most neutral, observational way possible.

I always thought that there was a slight against shounen fans embedded in cosmic's tag. Iconoclast kind of implies that it's not common for people who like shounen to enjoy other genres or be able to defend/promote the genre in an intelligent, reasoned way like cosmic does, and I think that most of us would dispute such an assertion!

There might be a minor one, but I always saw it as more a description of me rather than fans of the genre. Not in a contrarian way, but like you said with the unpredictable tastes. I have some very specific reasons for liking certain things that extend beyond just being a genre whore. Shounen just happens to cover a lot of bases for me in what I want out of both the anime and manga mediums. Doesn't mean I don't like other stuff.

I like cosmic's tag, though. Out of everyone in AnimeGAF, I would argue that cosmic is the most unpredictable in whether or not he'll like or dislike a certain series. He has totally unique standards, and I mean this in the most neutral, observational way possible.

Nah, cosmic is for the most part predictable. His standards may be unique, but they're comprehensible. There are other people whose standards are a complete mystery.

Penguindrum 12
tumblr_lxut6cUmrN1r9c51co1_r3_500.gif

Apart from Ringo, theres actually not ever been an uncompelling or uninteresting flashback in this. Flashback worked great at provided another element on the characters and further
it ending with Himari actually collapsing serving to finally bring shouma and kanba backtogether in one plot line was fun. I thought it was pretty emotional as well because, Kanba gave it his all in that rather revealing scene and she still didnt awake. Shouma should step in. And Sanetoshi is back!

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom 11

A clipshow recap episode? The way it was done was pretty good. I like being refreshed on the events.
Was surprised when it wasnt all recap, Reishi looked cool there as phantom in the end

Guilty Crown 12 rewatch

I just realized the King's power leveled up in this episode, I thought it occurred in just inbetween time from this point and the next half? Nice.

The main character is trained in classical piano. He's very good with precise tunes. His introduction into Jazz is through a delinquent class mate who plays drums, and the guy criticizes him for not having any swing and emotion. He says that unless you are able to "feel" it, it's not Jazz.

I'm going through the pieces and while I like them just fine, I think that maybe what Trojita is hearing is less of that organic aspect that a lot of classic jazz has. In Art Blakey's original Moanin', for example, in the beginning piano intro, when Bobby Timmons presses down on the keys there's an individual and unique lightness to each note he presses, which makes it sound very natural and human. The pianist in the Apollon version, meanwhile, sort of plays each note at the same lightness. I'm... not sure if there's a technical term for that, but do you get what I mean? Even his (or her) trills and syncopation seem very deliberate.

Of course, each preview is only that -- a preview, so maybe the songs open up into solos and things like that where the performers loosen up a bit. We'll see. And it's not like they're completely devoid of that "touch"; with Apollon's bassist in Moanin', for example, you can still hear the creak of the wood and the muffled thump of the strings. And the drummer fiddles around smoothly before going into each break with the trumpet.

I hope that made some sense. I like jazz and I play it a little bit, but I'm not an expert by any means so I have very little knowledge of technical terms. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom