• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Akiba Ranger 03:

ohAtu.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand 3

The action is still subpar, but the series continues being fun nonetheless.

The OP's song is great, but the lyrics... Ugh. Some of the worst Engrish I've ever heard. Why do they do stuff like this? The Italian in the episode was actually solid, though.

Lain

There's not much to miss; Now or Never is vastly superior to Brain Diver in nearly every way.

Well, after having listened to the new OP, it isn't bad, but I liked the first one more.

Phi Brain S2 1

They come from every corner of the world to get a piece of Kaito, dude is like a pimp. This... betrayal arc? I'm positive I could hate it. I don't want another
Gammon betrayal
on a bigger scale. I wonder who this Nina person, who Freecell mentioned, is.

Lain

Phi Brain S2 2

The end of the episode managed to annoy me, because that type of end wasn't satisfying at all. No explanation
from Chieno to Jikugawa, just a I don't know why I did it, which feels like a lame sidestepping to me.
Add to this
the punch stopped to that asshole, who deserved it after all the crap he and his group spewed and the stunt they pulled. That punch should have connected.

Ryuukan

K-On! 1-4:

So I thought Yui would
fail and end up on Ritalin while the rest of the disbanded club torment her throughout high school.

After the beach episode though, I'm going to keep watching
them eat.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
K-On! 1-4:

So I thought Yui would
fail and end up on Ritalin while the rest of the disbanded club torment her throughout high school.

After the beach episode though, I'm going to keep watching
them eat.
You watch NTR, don't you? >:|

DiGiKerot

Such an astonishing amount of fail in one ranking. Amazing.

Hey, the first two are totally right, though I swing back and forth between the specific order in which they rank. I totally use my Ritsuko keyring instead of my Kotori one, though, if that counts for anything.

Speaking of iM@S, I notice Columbia have wasted no time in announcing the first character from the second series of iM@S Cinderella Girls CDs. I kind of just wish they'd hurry up and announce what the request/cover song for the upcoming Namasuka CD is already instead.

Lain

Phi Brain S2 3

Oh, for this one I was actually happy that
Airi used one of those toys inside that giant plushie, because if Nonoha was inside it, I would have been angry.

survivor

Banned
Chihayafuru 5

Arata, my man what happened to you? You used to be so cool and awesome.

I don't know if this was happening in previous episodes but I just noticed there was a lot of use of scenes where flowers pop out of nowhere on the screen. Must be a symptom of being adapted from a josei manga.

A list of battle shows and no mention of Yakitate!! Japan Arc 1 and 2? Everyone likes battles and everyone likes bread. How can this be?

As awesome as Yakitate! Japan is, it isn't a battle series. There are no physical fights, just a lot of screaming and mind games while people eat bread.

Ryuukan

As awesome as Yakitate! Japan is, it isn't a battle series. There are no physical fights, just a lot of screaming and mind games while people eat bread.

Since when does 'battle' have to mean a physical fight? Have you never seen kitchen stadium? Not every battle is about prophylactic pirates.

Im kind of curious about this show. was it actually good? Didnt hear much talk about it.

It's fun shonen stuff. It doesn't break new ground, but it doesn't make you hate yourself for watching it.

Promo photos of the full cast for the Blue Exorcist stage play have now been posted; it's too much trouble to post them all here, but I will share this stylish guy:

So very stylish. At the very least, they don't look terrible.

Since when does 'battle' have to mean a physical fight? Have you never seen kitchen stadium? Not every battle is about prophylactic pirates.

Because in this case, battle=fights. If it's going to be as loosely defined as you say, then pretty much everything with any kind of verbal or mental back and forth is a battle series.

Yakitate! Japan is merely a series of judged competitions. If they were throwing special types of bread at each other or shot laser beams out of them, it might count. Even with an unconvential medium, if it were to follow the general tropes, it could be considered a battle series. For example, if Kemeko DX's premise was more in line with this pillow fight scene rather than it being a 1-off gag, it would be considered a battle series. However, that is not the case with Yakitate.

Ryuukan

Because in this case, battle=fights. If it's going to be as loosely defined as you say, then pretty much everything with any kind of verbal or mental back and forth is a battle series.

Yakitate! Japan is merely a series of judged competitions. If they were throwing special types of bread at each other or shot laser beams out of them, it might count. Even with an unconvential medium, if it were to follow the general tropes, it could be considered a battle series. For example, if Kemeko DX's premise was more in line with this pillow fight scene rather than it being a 1-off gag, it would be considered a battle series. However, that is not the case with Yakitate.

So the mangaka and the editors were completely wrong to use the term 'battle' for all the 'bread battles' in the series?

Ah My Goddess TV S2 13
Oh you, tsundere Skuld.
Yay, one of my favorite chapters of the manga get animated. Regardless of how annoying Skuld sometimes get, I really do like the chapter where she falls for someone not named Keiichi, and the anime did it really well.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ah My Goddess TV S2 13

Oh you, tsundere Skuld.
Yay, one of my favorite chapters of the manga get animated. Regardless of how annoying Skuld sometimes get, I really do like the chapter where she falls for someone not named Keiichi, and the anime did it really well.

One of my favorite stories in both the manga and anime! They're so cute! :D

Well, certain anime have jumped into the middle of manga (Wandering Son) but to start at the beginning and then excel that fast...it's probably one of the few.

Probably. It doesn't really count since it was a sequel, but Inuyasha: The Final Act was just as bad. They ran through about 20 volumes in a 26 episode series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Probably. It doesn't really count since it was a sequel, but Inuyasha: The Final Act was just as bad. They ran through about 20 volumes in a 26 episode series.

I personally thought that Final Act benefited from the increased pacing. The series did a good job of still giving due time to the important plot points, and ultimately only the storylines that could have been spun off into entire self-contained episodes were the ones that were relegated to short sequences or eliminated entirely. I'm probably the only person in the thread that liked the episodic nature and slow pacing of the original series, but the new series was undeniably an easier watch.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Being a lesbian temple priestess soldier is suffering.

It's not fair.
Should've been Kaimu.
I loved Aeru's scream though.

That's what happens when you revolutionize the world.

Apparently.

As obscure sleeper shows go, Simoun remains one of my favorites. And not just because of girls kissing.

I'm glad I took the time to watch it.
I just wished the ending was more fulfilling.

Now I need to decide which show to watch next.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not all fights have to be physicals. Sometimes you just need a battle of wits to bring out the yeast in you.

Everybody likes Ricks bread. Is Rick in Yakitate!! Japan? I think not.
I really can't counter this point. I've been checkmated.

OwsuO.png

I personally thought that Final Act benefited from the increased pacing. The series did a good job of still giving due time to the important plot points, and ultimately only the storylines that could have been spun off into entire self-contained episodes were the ones that were relegated to short sequences or eliminated entirely. I'm probably the only person in the thread that liked the episodic nature and slow pacing of the original series, but the new series was undeniably an easier watch.

I just felt like it was way too much of a rush job (although I haven't gotten around to watching all of it). The Inuyasha manga could certainly drag on at points, but Final Act rushed through so much stuff that the emotional impact was lost for a lot of it. A 52 episode series would have allowed them to move at a better pace, while still speeding up some of the duller points in the manga.

I mean,
Kagura's death
was a hugely important and emotional moment in the manga, but the anime basically treats it as "yeah, let's get this out of the way quickly and move on to the next plot point".

Ah My Goddess TV S2 15-16
Seeing two Urd's isn't exactly new anymore.
So fun story of splitting Urd's demonic and goddess sides and they duke it out. This is a good set up for the upcoming episodes based on the previews.

cajunator

Banned

Yakitate! Japan is amazing for the reactions people get when they taste the bread creations.
It doesn't even need fights to be great.

Ah My Goddess TV S2 17
Enters Hild! Not a bad episode, with focus on Urd and her demonic side. The singing part was nicely done and the relationship between Hild and Urd is pretty nice.

Ah My Goddess TV S2 18
Enters loli Hild! Uh yeah, I was easily amused when character after character kept entering the house and get suck into the teapot of doom.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki 11

I don't understand what's going on.
Tenth said "Fourth" out loud through the radio before he shot him in the head. Why doesn't Yukki know he was the one who killed him?

That was straight out of Death Note, though. There was even an "all according to keikaku" moment.

"I shot a man, but OH NO I'M NOT EATING THAT DYING KID'S DOUGHNUT"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom