• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you get a handle on the basic yaku you can start seeing what they're going for. Saki's point system is weird though.

I can see some of the combinations, but not a lot of them I'm sure, and yeah, I have no idea how the point determinations work.

Saki Achiga-hen 3

Wow, what's with the rapid pacing? Not that I'm against it since the plot is still comprehensible.
As I've said, the goal is to skip to the national tournament, and entirely new material, as soon as possible, instead of having a series about Achiga doing the same things Kiyosumi did, but in a different place. I definitely wish that it was slower and had more stuff from before the national tournament, but that's not what they're doing, and it does work as is.

and it was fun to see the
Koromo and the others from Ryuumonbachi
again. I feel like rewatching Saki again~
I started rewatching it before Achiga aired, actually... still working on it, I'm through ep. 8 or 9. now. :)

The cast is really growing on me. Watching this makes me so warm and bubbly :)
I don't think they quite match Kiyosumi, but they are a pretty good cast.

On another note, one character seen in ep. 3 is ... a little different here ... from how she appears in the main Saki manga (she's fully clothed, but with her ... size, the manga versions might be borderline NSFW?): http://www.abload.de/img/mangavanimemikotduq4.jpg Yes, apparently those are both the same character. Of course the artists are different, but still... that's pretty different there.

Probably because it involved a ton of gore and
orgies
In my opinion it's better off gone, but I'm sure we have opposite views on this.

Master Keaton 27

I used to be a KGB agent like you, but then I took a fork to the knee
and then fell off a balcony and died.

Heartcatch Precure 38-39

I like the music for the Heartcatch Orchestra, but that's about it. The giant punch at the end doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade.

Heartcatch Precure 40

0_o

I was not expecting this.
So Sasorina "dies" and then gets sent to some comatose woman? Is that what the desert messengers are; just dark versions of other people that may or may not be aware of it? In that case, what Dark Precure said to Yuri might make sense.

Jarmel

Banned
I really can't counter this point. I've been checkmated.

OwsuO.png

Don't fucking remind me of that scene. I nerd raged so hard at that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki 12

Why the hell would Fourth
take off his kevlar from the last episode?
That was stupid.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I just felt like it was way too much of a rush job (although I haven't gotten around to watching all of it). The Inuyasha manga could certainly drag on at points, but Final Act rushed through so much stuff that the emotional impact was lost for a lot of it. A 52 episode series would have allowed them to move at a better pace, while still speeding up some of the duller points in the manga.

I mean,
Kagura's death
was a hugely important and emotional moment in the manga, but the anime basically treats it as "yeah, let's get this out of the way quickly and move on to the next plot point".

Things are a bit wonky in the first few episodes with
Kagura's death
getting short-changed like you say and far too much time given to fillery stuff like the kitsune exams, but it eventually straightens out and gets its priorities in order.
Kikyou's death
is given an appropriate amount of time and weighs considerably on the characters' minds for the remainder of the show, the
Meidou Zangetsuha storylines and Sesshoumaru's journey into Hell
are handled well and
the final battle against Naraku
is given several episodes. I agree that it would have been better as a 52-episode series even if it meant more episodic content, but I still think that it mostly turned out well for what it was.

Jarmel

Banned
Was it about all of the flagrantly illegal chess moves or was it something else? I'm way overdue for a Geass rewatch.

It's impossible to have two kings next to each other in chess, it's impossible to checkmate with your king, and finally you just don't take their king.

Not to mention the whole idiocy of moving your king around willy-nilly.

sonicmj1

It's impossible to have two kings next to each other in chess, it's impossible to checkmate with your king, and finally you just don't take their king.

Not to mention the whole idiocy of moving your king around willy-nilly.

I think the flagrant illegality of the move was acknowledged in the scene, but the justification for people letting it slide is some of the worst/best sort of "serious clever plan" writing imaginable.

"If I win, he loses... but that's just what he's expecting!"

jman2050

It was supposed to be a demonstration that Lelouch was more concerned with proving his superiority and winning his way than the victory itself or some shit like that, it was just done in the most blatantly stupid and hilarious way possible.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Except Lelouch moved his king first. The entire thing stopped being a game of a chess and a game between two brothers.

A draw meant absolutely nothing so Schneizel decided to unmask Zero a bit. In the context of the scene Lelouch got owned by the illegal move since he's in a losing situation no matter what. He can call out ILLEGAL MOVE and look like a dork, he can just take the win and be like his father or he can just coward out.

Articalys

Full versions of marshmallow justice and CHOIR JAIL are pretty good. Konomi Suzuki has a hell of a voice and a promising singing career ahead of her.

jman2050

Except Lelouch moved his king first. The entire thing stopped being a game of a chess and a game between two brothers.

A draw meant absolutely nothing so Schneizel decided to unmask Zero a bit. In the context of the scene Lelouch got owned by the illegal move since he's in a losing situation no matter what. He can call out ILLEGAL MOVE and look like a dork, he can just take the win and be like his father or he can just coward out.

Like I said, stupid and hilarious.

Narag

Lupin III TV (1971) 1

I'd read some poor impressions about this on here and I was left thinking it couldn't be that bad yet here I am. Lupin's a smirking unlikeable jerkass in this, this felt like watching a Speed Racer ep, and it's nothnig like I expected. I'd read the series picks up and the characters are established as something I'm more familiar with so looking forward to that at least.

Have you ever seen such grim determination?

Motor noises in the background. said:

Lupin III TV (1971) 1

I'd read some poor impressions about this on here and I was left thinking it couldn't be that bad yet here I am. Lupin's a smirking unlikeable jerkass in this, this felt like watching a Speed Racer ep, and it's nothnig like I expected. I'd read the series picks up and the characters are established as something I'm more familiar with so looking forward to that at least.

Once Miyazaki and Takahata come on board around episode 8, it becomes more consistent and more what you'd expect from later Lupin animation. I didn't ever find it that exceptional, but there are some fun capers to be had.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Full versions of marshmallow justice and CHOIR JAIL are pretty good. Konomi Suzuki has a hell of a voice and a promising singing career ahead of her.

Is there a full Nise OST due for release any time soon? I've really been wanting a full version of Kaiki's theme.

Lupin III TV (1971) 1

Have you ever seen such grim determination?

The first episode is worth it just for SCOPION dude.

cBmXA.gif

I didn't notice this before, but in some shots Kids on the Slope uses CG hands.

RIP 2D animation.

Yeah, that's done in the musical performance scenes to make it easier to present the musicians' movements accurately. Nodame Cantabile did the same thing, although the CG wasn't as good.

The only anime I've seen that properly animated musical performance with entirely 2D animation was Gauche the Cellist, and that was done by one guy over six years.

Branduil

Yeah, that's done in the musical performance scenes to make it easier to present the musicians' movements accurately. Nodame Cantabile did the same thing, although the CG wasn't as good.

The only anime I've seen that properly animated musical performance with entirely 2D animation was Gauche the Cellist, and that was done by one guy over six years.

The playing of the other instruments is traditionally animated, though.

Articalys

Actually, let me slightly correct myself -- looking at the tracklists more closely, it seems the volume 2 bundle next month won't just have Futakotome, but also some OST songs, including one with the track name 魔手 ("evil influence").

Defuser

Actually, let me slightly correct myself -- looking at the tracklists more closely, it seems the volume 2 bundle next month won't just have Futakotome, but also some OST songs, including one with the track name 魔手 ("evil influence").

I'm pretty sure Futakotome is being released like 3 months later or something.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 11

All the cards on the table, Walpurgisnacht arrives, and Madoka on the battlefield?! NOOOO
I was pretty sure at the end of last episode it would end with Homura returning back to the start again, and I feel even more certain this time. I'm hoping it doesn't go that way, because I would like to be pleasantly surprised with the ending, but I wouldn't be angry.

Pretty weird having Madoka's family in the picture again, but even weirder having the teacher doing something not related to her relationship status. Kind of nice change for things.

Every time Kyubey tries to explain things, I find myself sighing aloud. He should just stop. I don't need to know. It's great that someone thought all of that stuff up, but it's not necessary, and it just sounds dumb when spoken aloud.

I'm sorry.
One more to go. : (

duckroll

A Letter to Momo's massive bombage continues. The number of screenings at Toho cinemas have taken a MASSIVE dive this week after a lackluster performance last week. They are cutting down from 154 screenings to a mere 57. This basically means the show is on its way out of cinemas. Anyone in Japan who wants to catch it on the big screen better watch it soon! Lulz.

Articalys

I'm pretty sure Futakotome is being released like 3 months later or something.
Nah, it definitely seems to be a pack-in with vol. 2, releasing May 23. The amazon.co.jp description has 本編DISC+特典CD(かれんビー主題歌「二言目」収録).

A Letter to Momo's massive bombage continues. The number of screenings at Toho cinemas have taken a MASSIVE dive this week after a lackluster performance last week. They are cutting down from 154 screenings to a mere 57. This basically means the show is on its way out of cinemas. Anyone in Japan who wants to catch it on the big screen better watch it soon! Lulz.

You really enjoy seeing things bomb.

RIP 2D animation.
Bleh. How hard is it to rotoscope someone's hands playing the piano?

The CG in Nodame Cantabile was the worst part, though I can't fully blame them for not wanting to animate an orchestra by hand.

That was cg?
im ok with this
Yeah, they did a pretty good job matching the quality of the drawn stuff.

I was upset when I first noticed it, but I'm actually glad they decided to do it, since inaccurate instrument playing always bugged me in animation. I'll take a more representative playing of instruments if it means cg. : P
Also, dat umbrella.

duckroll

Bleh. How hard is to rotoscope someone's hands playing the piano?

But that would be the same. In the end it's performance capture and that is why it looks so smooth and accurate. Who cares how it's actually done.

Now, if you ask how hard it would be to hand animate something as accurate but with the touch of unique key framed animation, the answer is - fucking hard.

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 17

erikagenki.gif

Erika's easily the genkiest genki-girl who ever genkied. I'm feelin' pretty sorry for Yuri. :(

RIP 2D animation.
Looks infinitely better than the monstrosity that was the CG hands in Nodame Cantabile. watanabe's saving cg anime

kiryogi

Banned
Ano Natsu de Matteru Complete

For awhile there, I almost thought I'd regret buying the blurays with how the ending was turning out. But it turned out for the best. I would have been pretty happy though if they just ended with the movie and not the extra bit for happy ending. Since it did drive home the whole summer theme, which I came to terms to despite the tragedy that just occurred before hand. And it was a fantastic choice how they decided to play the entire ED, Yanagi Nagi is the best.

Chihayafuru S1? Complete

An absolute fantastic ride, but also being a fan of the sports genre really helped. I loved the personal developments and chemistry, but the Karuta matches were also just as interesting. While some folks might have hated the fact the finale wasn't focused at all on our main crew. I really appreciated that they did focus on who they did.
Although . . . Shinobu, why'd you let yourself go?!
It made me excited for future prospects in terms of matches. Be it Arata vs Suo, or Arata v Taichi, and then Chihaya v Shinobu again. Suo and Shinobu are definitely the end game here, but it's interesting how there's even a gap between the two.

Although there is that other elephant in the room. . . The relationships. I've said it before, I'm still shipping for Taichi x Chihaya. And seeing how TV is, I think it could still be both ways. Unless manga has it differently where Chihaya did reject him or something. . . Here's hoping, but mostly, I hope we do get an S2 despite sales. I'll definitely pick it up domestically if they do bluray releases. Oh and one final bit, probably the best score in a show in quite some time. The usage/inserts really built the mood up for the proper moments, it felt like I was watching Hajime no Ippo again before "New Challenger". The sound direction was just that fantastic.

What a tragedy. I guess. I mean, it's supposed to be a really good all-audience film, yeah?

Bleh. How hard is it to rotoscope someone's hands playing the piano?

The CG in Nodame Cantabile was the worst part, though I can't fully blame them for not wanting to animate an orchestra by hand.

I'll point out here that even Gauche the Cellist is not entirely accurate in its orchestra performances, outside the cellists. The movement of musicians is quite complicated and subtle, difficult to grasp if you don't have experience with the instrument. That of pianists is some of the most complicated of the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom