• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endless 8

Since I just finished the light novel version, which was only about 50 pages, I figured I would check out the anime adaptation beyond my better judgment. I have only watched the first two episodes of the eight, but comparing the first two episodes to the light novel in terms of content I think it should have ended after two episodes. There is really no reason to go on, but who knows, I may end up enjoying it...

Mirai Nikki 13

Fuck you, Yuno.
Just freaking die already, you crazy bitch.

At least we ended up getting more Hinata. Mao knows what's up.

HAPPY. I just revisited that episode last night
tumblr_lxi8i1WbbP1qjnhvyo2_500.gif

That episode was funny animation wise, as Akise's jacket and the bench placement was pretty inconsistent in subsequent frames in scenes.

Lupin III TV (1971) 1

I'd read some poor impressions about this on here and I was left thinking it couldn't be that bad yet here I am. Lupin's a smirking unlikeable jerkass in this, this felt like watching a Speed Racer ep, and it's nothnig like I expected. I'd read the series picks up and the characters are established as something I'm more familiar with so looking forward to that at least.

Have you ever seen such grim determination?
Lupin can be liked on the basis that he's unique in how much freedom he has to do ridiculous stuff and be competent on the job, and groups like the Scorpions make him look small-time in comparison. But he's a groovy guy all-throughout the series, from the Masaaki Osumi eps to the stuff done between Takahata and Miyazaki. Nevertheless, you'd simply hate the manga judging by these impressions.

Lupin III TV (1971) 1

I'd read some poor impressions about this on here and I was left thinking it couldn't be that bad yet here I am. Lupin's a smirking unlikeable jerkass in this, this felt like watching a Speed Racer ep, and it's nothnig like I expected. I'd read the series picks up and the characters are established as something I'm more familiar with so looking forward to that at least.

Have you ever seen such grim determination?

i watched this 2 weeks ago (the entire season ) it didn't age well .. it has some very good episodes but Oh good the start of this is painfull i skipped several episodes because they had no hope to gain my attention ...

In the first LUPIN season if the episode has a bad start , it doesn't improve...

The magician episode was very well done for example

duckroll

Using live-action footage as a reference is extremely traditional, though!

I'm not talking about reference. You can clearly see that the drum and piano scenes are both actually performance captured. There is no way normal animation can handle hands which move in that way.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki 14

That's seriously fucked up, girl. (Spoilers)

And... Wut. Kousaka
gets a diary this late?
... Wait... What the hell is that huge thing? Is that freaking Haruyuki's mother?
And she's distributing diaries?

Oh, and Yuki finally becomes a man. Who would've thought.

HAPPY. I just revisited that episode last night

That episode was funny animation wise, as Akise's jacket and the bench placement was pretty inconsistent in subsequent frames in scenes.

You're right, haha.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
But that would be the same. In the end it's performance capture and that is why it looks so smooth and accurate. Who cares how it's actually done.

Now, if you ask how hard it would be to hand animate something as accurate but with the touch of unique key framed animation, the answer is - fucking hard.

The only time I can recall that wasn't even an anime; it was a Tom and Jerry cartoon from ages ago and that only really lasted in the beginning.

The Cat Concerto

i watched this 2 weeks ago (the entire season ) it didn't age well .. it has some very good episodes but Oh good the start of this is painfull i skipped several episodes because they had no hope to gain my attention ...

In the first LUPIN season if the episode has a bad start , it doesn't improve...

The magician episode was very well done for example
Well: I think the very first episode had a bit of slow start as well. But it reveals itself to be quite solid, with the humorous deadpan direction contrasting what would normally be seen as a drastic situation treated with coolness and a funny perspective. Not to mention the quality of the vehicular animation, great music, and real-interesting editing as was typical of the era.

Branduil

I'm not talking about reference. You can clearly see that the drum and piano scenes are both actually performance captured. There is no way normal animation can handle hands which move in that way.
So you're saying the drum solo was CGI? I'll need to watch it again, but there was at least some traditional animation integrated there.

duckroll

So you're saying the drum solo was CGI? I'll need to watch it again, but there was at least some traditional animation integrated there.

I think that when it comes to the point where you have to watch something over and over just to decide if you think it looks like CG was used, there is already no purpose to argue about it. If it looks right, and it looks good, animation is animation. Why is CG animation better or worse than traditional animation? It's all about proper application.

Uchip

Banned

well performance capture doesn't necessarily mean CGI
a simple wireframe reference would be enough for synchronizing the animation to the music

zeroshiki

A Letter to Momo's massive bombage continues. The number of screenings at Toho cinemas have taken a MASSIVE dive this week after a lackluster performance last week. They are cutting down from 154 screenings to a mere 57. This basically means the show is on its way out of cinemas. Anyone in Japan who wants to catch it on the big screen better watch it soon! Lulz.

:( I was planning to do it next week but it seems like I have to watch it tomorrow before the theaters change their schedules.

Clevinger

I just finished Mirai Nikki and holy shit, Yukiteru must either tie with Shinji or be in second place as the worst protagonist in anime.

!Series Spoilers!
And there's never been two characters who deserve each other more than this murderous stalker bitch and the moronic pansy who falls in love with her.
!Series Spoilers!

God damn

Overall, it was an enjoyable ride though.

cajunator

Banned
I think that when it comes to the point where you have to watch something over and over just to decide if you think it looks like CG was used, there is already no purpose to argue about it. If it looks right, and it looks good, animation is animation. Why is CG animation better or worse than traditional animation? It's all about proper application.

I have no problems with cg if its used correctly.
A lot of rotating and moving objects are rendered much more smoothly with cg.
It allows for more dynamic large scale battle scenes. It just requires as much care and attention as the rest of the production.

I just finished Mirai Nikki and holy shit, Yukiteru must either tie with Shinji or be in second place as the worst protagonist in anime.

!Series Spoilers!
And there's never been two characters who deserve each other more than this murderous stalker bitch and the moronic pansy who falls in love with her.
!Series Spoilers!

God damn

I wish people would stop perpetuating such falsehoods.

!Series Spoilers!
!Series Spoilers!

God damn

I dont think Yuki would even be on my list of that, I think his actions essentially relate to how the normal person would respond so easily relatable and not the worst.

Brazil

Mirai Nikki 15

BWAHAHAHA. Are they kidding me with this new OP? Earlier today I criticized the Engrish in Jormungand's OP, but this one... Oh my God. Why do they do this? Who the hell accepts singing in a language they clearly don't know? Ugh.

So embarassing.

And the
cross-counter and flirting diaries are the best ever. The 7ths are great.

But, seriously:

This poor kid.

Kousaka took an arrow to the knee!

He totally did.
Taking arrows in the knees will never be the same.

Man, you're really blowing through this. Good.

One Piece aside, I haven't been this hooked by a series in a while.

Brazil

I know what you mean. It's ridiculous...but oddly compelling at the same time. I was going to watch a few episodes last night, but I had a program to write :(

I find it fun because it's ridiculously over-the-top. There's crazy stuff happening in literally every episode. Well, that and because I love "survival game" mechanics.

I will agree with you there. He was pretty terrible character.

He's bad, but he has his moments. He's definitely better than Shinji
or Shu.

wonzo

Banned
Strawberry Panic 14

Yaya got friendzowned pretty damn hard. She should get together with Tomoe and have some kind of friendzone pity party. *wink wink nudge nudge*

The new ED somehow managed to be even worse than the first but at least it's the hilarious kind of bad.

I wish people would stop perpetuating such falsehoods.
Shinji can never catch a break. :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I meant TVtropes is removing the stuff haphazardly. Like Femmeworth said it is because of Adsense.

wonzo

Banned
it seems to be temporary according to the discussion page but it's tvtropes so it really doesn't matter.

edit: rip eiken

iammeiam

The Second Google Incident @ TV Tropes:
After The Google Incident, the problem with Google Adsense was thought solved: Adsense was disabled on pages contrary to Google's policy, and some alternate advertisers were found to reduce the wiki's dependency to it. This proved not to be enough when somebody complained to Google about the Naughty Tentacles page (which already had Adsense disabled), and Google pulled the plug again.

This led to several new measures:

The offending page joined the Permanent Red Link Club, with a custom message.
A new content policy was established.
To review pages which might violate the new policy, a council of five tropers was established.
Massive rename of trope pages: Notably, the "Rape is okay if..." pages were renamed.
Massive cut of work pages documenting works with alleged offensive contents or pedophile overtones. Many of these pages will be reviewed by a council being formed by the mods to determine whether they truly fall afoul of the no-pedophilia-friendly-works policy; if they don't they will be restored.
There was some talk of shutting down the forums for good, in response to which some tropers started to consider setting up alternate forums.

Yick.

survivor

Banned
There really should be another good competing online ads platform so websites won't have to compromise their contents just to appease Google.

iammeiam

There's also this explanation of the content policy change, from their forums.

This gets even more in-depth, including the 'is it okay' test:

A work contains:

Explicit sex
Between adults
Is arousal the primary reaction the work as a whole is going for?
Is it the sole aim of the work?
If yes to both, cut. If no to the first, probably okay. If yes to the first but no to the second, more context needed.
Between an adult and a teenager: Likely cut. Depends on other factors. Context needed.
Between an adult and a pre-teen: cut.
Between teenagers: Possibly cut. Depends on other factors, like who the work is aimed at and whether it is a large portion of the work. Context needed.
Between pre-teens: cut.
Implied sex
Between adults: A-okay.
Between an adult and a teenager: Depends on context.
Between an adult and a pre-teen: Depends on context. If it is shown as a positive, it is out.
Between teenagers. Probably okay.
Between pre-teens. Nope
Portrays children in a sexually provocative image: Not okay. We realize there are creeps out there who will find any image of a child provocative, but we mean things like up-skirt images.

Lots of probablies and possiblies, I know. That's why we need human beings making the call.

So... no Upotte page, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom