• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Upotte 02
I like this series more when it's a creepy fetish show than a lackluster action show. Unfortunately this episode was the latter, and to top it off the action was of the frumpy low intensity variety.

frostbyte

Kannazuki no Miko 2

Why is Chikane
drenching herself with water
to atone for her HAPPY BIRTHDAY kiss to Himeko?

I thought Chikane was suddenly
taking off her clothes
for some hawt yuri love. My yuri goggles were almost at exploding point. What a letdown. Chikane could've revealed she was the
Lunar Priestess
some other way :(

I don't get why everyone's in love with Himeko for some reason, even the bad guy.

J8OAt.png

"I'll pass on the Lunar Priestress. Your boobs are too big."

At least the bad guy has a more substantial motivation: DFC.

This truly is in the realm of 'It's so bad it's good'.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Eureka Seven 9
Everyone is either an asshole, dumb, or both: the show.

Fuck Holland, seriously. Why is he in charge of anything?

And then Renton is dumb too. I have no idea what his little speech at the end was supposed to mean, because if it was me, I would definitely have wanted my alien crush to have changed
from the coldblooded killer she once was.
But maybe Renton likes his girls with that little bit of extra danger about them? I can understand why he tries to rationalize it, but you'd think his attitude towards the crew would change a little after finding out
that they used to be the civilian extermination squad. "But it's war!" just doesn't cut it when it comes to noncombatants.

Also, am I supposed to know what a
scub is yet? I don't remember hearing about them before in here, but there was the mention of scubs in AO, so I'm not quite sure.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven 9
Everyone is either an asshole, dumb, or both: the show.

Fuck Holland, seriously. Why is he in charge of anything?

Also, am I supposed to know what a
scub is yet? I don't remember hearing about them before in here, but there was the mention of scubs in AO, so I'm not quite sure.

Holland is a complete douchebag for most of the series. That's something I always found interesting in regards to the interactions between Holland and Renton. For Renton this is the guy who he's idolized for most of his life and viewed as a genius. While Holland still might be a genius, he's also completely unlikable and an all around asshole. I can't imagine what that must feel like, to have the person you've viewed as a hero to be a scumbag. Not only that but you have to look at that failure of your dream every day. Most of the first half of the series is the writers crushing Renton as a person.

It's the stuff that post out of the ground that looks like sea coral. You can see it in AO too when it comes out of the portal.

Jex

Eureka Seven 9
But maybe Renton likes his girls with that little bit of extra danger about them? I can understand why he tries to rationalize it, but you'd think his attitude towards the crew would change a little after finding out
that they used to be the civilian extermination squad. "But it's war!" just doesn't cut it when it comes to noncombatants.

Well, it really depends on the war you're in, doesn't it? If your nation was on the line you might be surprised how many civilians you're suddenly willing to indiscriminately bomb to smithereens.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well, it really depends on the war you're in, doesn't it? If your nation was on the line you might be surprised how many civilians you're suddenly willing to indiscriminately bomb to smithereens.

I think you misunderstood what I meant, I was solely referring to Renton's attitude towards the crew.

Holland is a complete douchebag for most of the series. That's something I always found interesting in regards to the interactions between Holland and Renton. For Renton this is the guy who he's idolized for most of his life and viewed as a genius. While Holland still might be a genius, he's also completely unlikable and an all around asshole. I can't imagine what that must feel like, to have the person you've viewed as a hero to be a scumbag. Not only that but you have to look at that failure of your dream every day. Most of the first half of the series is the writers crushing Renton as a person.

It's the stuff that post out of the ground that looks like sea coral. You can see it in AO too when it comes out of the portal.

Yeah, I just couldn't remember if they had really explained what it was.

Holland being an asshole does make for interesting character interactions, especially Renton seeing what his idol is really like, unlikeable characters aren't necessarily a mark against something.

Uchip

Banned
rentons behaviour seemed intentionally juvenile
I cant hate on a character for behaving in a somewhat realistic manner
I thought Stoner was a weird name for a character, but now we have Gazelle? lmao

Jarmel

Banned
It's hard to think about Renton because he's so annoying.

I actually thought he was fine. He's a brash impulsive kid suffering from confidence issues throughout most of the series and doesn't really come into his own till the end. It is impressive though comparing early Renton to later Renton and seeing all the progress his character has done.

Holland being an asshole does make for interesting character interactions, especially Renton seeing what his idol is really like, unlikeable characters aren't necessarily a mark against something.

I remember discussing this with someone a while back and I was commenting on how Holland acts like a child through things such as the jealousy, temper tantrums, his outbursts, and even small things such as walking around the Gekko in his shorts. One of the themes of the series is about growing up and this applies to Holland as well.

I thought Stoner was a weird name for a character, but now we have Gazelle? lmao

I saw a good post on the AS forums about this.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4106763&postcount=544
The big key is that all of his character names are very specific. We've already got "Han Juno" and "Fleur Blanc" for listed characters. (So Han Solo & White Flower) Gazelle is the leader of a transport group. The references for the others will take a little time to figure out, but they're all going to have them.

Steroyd

Fate Zero - 15

This show is just too good.

Space Bro's - 03

Mu's expressions are a joy to see and lol at the lung capacity test.

duckroll

https://twitter.com/#!/strangers_movie

Looks like BONES has launched a 5th Anniversary "project" of sorts for Sword of the Stranger. I'm not expecting too much since it's only a twitter account announcing stuff so far, but the first phase of the project is a chance to see the movie again on the big screen from the 35mm print if you're in Japan. The screening will be part of a BONES All Night Event on July 21. They will announce the second and third phases of this project at a later date.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember discussing this with someone a while back and I was commenting on how Holland acts like a child through things such as the jealousy, temper tantrums, his outbursts, and even small things such as walking around the Gekko in his shorts. One of the themes of the series is about growing up and this applies to Holland as well.
That literally happens to Holland and Talho though, in the most obvious way possible.

Kannazuki no Miko 2

Why is Chikane
drenching herself with water
to atone for her HAPPY BIRTHDAY kiss to Himeko?

I thought Chikane was suddenly
taking off her clothes
for some hawt yuri love. My yuri goggles were almost at exploding point. What a letdown. Chikane could've revealed she was the
Lunar Priestess
some other way :(

I don't get why everyone's in love with Himeko for some reason, even the bad guy.

At least the bad guy has a more substantial motivation: DFC.

This truly is in the realm of 'It's so bad it's good'.
You ain't even close to the awesomeness.

i'm a bit busy atm but i'll be sure to watch another 2-3 episodes tonight!
You should mix and match. Do two episodes of Strawberry Panic per Miko episode!

Looks like BONES has launched a 5th Anniversary "project" of sorts for Sword of the Stranger. I'm not expecting too much since it's only a twitter account announcing stuff so far, but the first phase of the project is a chance to see the movie again on the big screen from the 35mm print if you're in Japan. The screening will be part of a BONES All Night Event on July 21. They will announce the second and third phases of this project at a later date.
Phase 2: Upotte spinoff - what if the swords were also girls?

Jarmel

Banned
That literally happens to Holland and Talho though, in the most obvious way possible.

I'm not really happy about how they handled Talho's character but oh well.

Obviously they are going to announce a Sword of the Stranger movie trilogy. In the third film they will give Nanashi a name and romantic interest.

Jex

I feel it would be best not to get too excited about this.

HYPEEEEEEEEE!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

26-episode Sword of the Stranger series - Animated by BONES, Direction by Ando, Key Animation by Yutaka Nakamura, Airs in Fall 2012.

A Man can dream right?!

duckroll

Yutaka Nakamura is teasing the project on his twitter too. He probably knows exactly what it is, so he's either being a dick, or he's bored, or he's actually working on something which means there's new animation being done!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm totally overselling it now.

wonzo

Banned
eurgh, i'm gonna skip on watching anything tonight as staying up till like 6am to finish off yami and a bunch of other shit's starting to really catch up to me.

frostbyte

So firehawk's saying that to achieve yuri nirvana we should watch Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko together then marathoning 4 seasons of Marimite?

I think my yuri goggles are going to so broken that they'll turn into yaoi goggles after this.

wonzo

Banned
So firehawk's saying that to achieve yuri nirvana we should watch Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko together then marathoning 4 seasons of Marimite?

I think my yuri goggles are going to so broken that they'll turn into yaoi goggles after this.
you say that like it's a bad thing!

Westlo

Yutaka Nakamura is teasing the project on his twitter too. He probably knows exactly what it is, so he's either being a dick, or he's bored, or he's actually working on something which means there's new animation being done!!!!!!!

Has Yutaka Nakamura worked on anything of note lately ducky? Also what are the 4 Bones studios working on atm? As unlikely as it could be, is there room for a Sword of the stranger project?

duckroll

Has Yutaka Nakamura worked on anything of note lately ducky? Also what are the 4 Bones studios working on atm? As unlikely as it could be, is there room for a Sword of the stranger project?

Nakamura is still pretty active. He worked on Towa no Quon and Un-Go last year. He's definitely BONES' number 1 action animator. The only BONES project that we know about right now is Eureka Seven AO from A Studio. The rest are not doing anything that's been announced, but it's not surprising since they were all super-busy last year. A Star Driver movie has been mentioned by the MBS producer, but it wasn't confirmed or formally announced. I believe D Studio is also working on the various game projects that BONES are doing for Level-5 (Guild01, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney). There's definitely room for lots of stuff that's unannounced.

BluWacky

So later on today I hope to put together a post on Tenshi ni Narumon! and why it's worth watching for all sorts of reasons, but that'll take more effort than I can manage before lunch.

So instead, capsule impressions!

Sankarea 2

I liked this, but for different reasons than the first episode. This was much creepier, whereas the first episode was surprisingly warm-hearted. I'm still not sure about the show as a whole - it depends on where it goes in the future - but it's still much better than I'd expected.

Space Brothers 3

The show's consistency of tone and plot is admirable but doesn't leave me anything to talk about. I like this a lot, but not in a "wow" way.

Saint Seiya Omega 3

Much better than the previous episode. A proper martial arts fight alongside the stock footage, Kouga being more inspirational than whiny, and Yuna is thankfully as good a character as I'd hoped she'd be. It's still slownen, but an improved example of such.

Staff fans - this episode was apparently directed by Rie Matsumoto, director of the Heartcatch movie and Kyousogiga.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fate/Zero 14 & 15

Holy shit, that was insanely epic.

Kariiiyaaaa!!! I was so sure Kirei would kill him to try and obtain Berserker. I'm glad he's going to live to fight another day.

Overall highlight was definitely Archer vs Berserker, followed by Saber.

Hoping we get to see more on the heroes previous life in the upcoming episodes.

/XX/

Twitter / @liborek3: Someone asked Yutaka Nakam ...
http://twitter.com/#!/liborek3/status/191073783728181248

Twitter / @liborek3: ...but at the same time, h ...
http://twitter.com/#!/liborek3/status/191073943069802496

Recently Mr. Nakamura said he was working on action stuff at that moment... hmmmm...

Jarmel

Banned
Nakamura is still pretty active. He worked on Towa no Quon and Un-Go last year. He's definitely BONES' number 1 action animator. The only BONES project that we know about right now is Eureka Seven AO from A Studio. The rest are not doing anything that's been announced, but it's not surprising since they were all super-busy last year. A Star Driver movie has been mentioned by the MBS producer, but it wasn't confirmed or formally announced. I believe D Studio is also working on the various game projects that BONES are doing for Level-5 (Guild01, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney). There's definitely room for lots of stuff that's unannounced.

They're probably animating stuff for the AO game that was announced as well.

Twitter / @liborek3: Someone asked Yutaka Nakam ...
http://twitter.com/#!/liborek3/status/191073783728181248

Twitter / @liborek3: ...but at the same time, h ...
http://twitter.com/#!/liborek3/status/191073943069802496

Recently Mr. Nakamura said he was working on action stuff at that moment... hmmmm...

It probably is AO. Oh lord if we get something even close to Stranger's level for a mech scene... Oh lord.

duckroll

If there is further Stranger stuff in the pipeline, wouldn't it be in the early preproduction phase?

Why would it have to be? They seem to be ready to announce something in the coming months. If it's a new series or movie, they would already have been working on it since last year.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Eureka Seven 10

Talho is no a longer a pure waifu. :(

This episode suffered from shitty storytelling 101, "THAT". "THAT" happened a while ago, so now the crew of the Gekko is revisiting "THAT".

If Renton wasn't such a lovestruck buffoon, he might notice that Eureka is unhappy about something.

It's weird seeing a nosebleed in anime that wasn't caused by arousal. The new girl looks pretty similar to Eureka, I bet they're related.

If "treasure" is referring to Ea, I've always presumed that Ea was a single, incredibly-strong weapon for one-on-one combat, which sounds more like something to counter Saber's Noble Phantasm to me. I agree that it could also possibly be used against Rider, but I feel that the show has been setting up Gilgamesh vs. Saber to be the final battle so I would expect that Ea wouldn't make an appearance until the climax. For all we know, it could be used against Rider and Saber.
FSN Spoilers
Ea's not a one-on-one weapon, it's an area of effect attack. It's even classified as an anti-world noble phantasm. The problem is that without Avalon, Saber has no way of surviving Ea, and we know from FSN that Gilgamesh doesn't kill her. Rider and his army however...

They already revealed Archer's treasure last episode.
Tokiomi asked Gilgamesh to use it, but I wouldn't call that a reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom