• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poyopoyo is truly the Chi's Sweet Home of 2012. That's no easy feat!

I must confess I was a bit skeptical at first, but Poyo has won me over with his pudgy charm.

The one thing nobody has mentioned about Interstellar Bros is that the love interest is rather attractive for someone who seems to be about Mutta's age (I hope). Usually women become ugly hags at the mid-twenties range in animu, Tsuritama's grandma notwithstanding.

The Space Brothers manga is aimed at people Mutta's age anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dude, have you not been paying attention to the women in anime?

Misato > all, etc.
No, that never happens. What actually happens is that said characters bemoan their singleness and undesirability, despite being just as hawaii as all other anime characters. Usually the only way to tell them apart from younger characters is their clothing and hair.
Wait a second, there a some important situations where this isn't true. If you're an Aunt (Denpa), Grandma (Tsuritama) or Military Commander (Evangelion, Gundam 00).
My wording was rather faulty. What I meant to say is that the in-universe characters treat such women as hags and are quick to mention their ages whenever such characters try to make advances on the unfairer sex, whereas everything in Cosmic Bros suggests that she is viewed as a reasonably attractive woman.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My wording was rather faulty. What I meant to say is that the in-universe characters treat such women as hags, whereas everything in Cosmic Bros suggests that she is viewed as a reasonably attractive woman.
Well, you notice that there were "less attractive" women around her in the episode. lol

Jex

Gundam 00 S2 17

So there's this massive space laser in orbit that's the same as the one Celestial Being already destroyed. Did Katharon not stop to think that there might be a second? Was the line of thought, "Well that's a pretty potent weapon. They'd never need a second."? What happened to the surface sniping gear that should let Lockon hit stuff in orbit???

Credit is given where credit is due though and the scene of the collapsing orbital elevator brought some surprising tension. Sense of scale was a little out of whack due to so many suits just being there yet I'll give it a pass as it's the closest thing I'm going to get to a colony drop. Decent choice to end the ep with Andrei impaling his father's mobile suit but dick move for killing him off onscreen post credits. They killed the best character off all over again; maybe Andrei's dad has a twin brother that can fill the void.

I really think that the
Space elevator collapse
is the best part of the season two, even if it's hella Gundam.

Branduil

Deen has always been capable of doing this. I'm pretty sure they just chose to make mediocre looking stuff because it was cheap. but they always seemed to choose stories that I was interested in, so I ended up liking a lot of Deen shows.

Speaking of DAT DEEN ART....

8iIBk.jpg

When KEY moeblobs grow old?

Jex

Eureka Seven AO 1:
Despite all the skepticism, it was a good opening. The music is incredible, and the character designs are all good. I feel like I got a good handle on most of the characters in just one episode, and Ao and Naru's relationship is set up well. You can really get a sense from the dialogue and their expressions just how they feel about each other. I also think the episode did a good job at setting up each character's voice fairly well. There's some expositiony stuff, but thankfully not too much.

Bones is saved?

Why would you say that? Now it's definitely going to turn into a pile of crap.
That reminds me I need to see the Gundam 00 movie.

No you don't!

HxH 27

ooh, a battle tower/tournament thing. Love those in shounen.

Then just using 1 move over and over... seems kinda like mangaka being lazy though =/

What's with this half tuck shirt dude? Definitely feels out of place =/

And yeah... fuck the cheapass opening, especially when the show doesn't really feel low budget

frostbyte

Kuroko no Basketball 2

I enjoyed this episode. I'm fine with BL as long as it isn't too blatant.

Upotte! 2

I enjoyed this episode. I'm fine with stupid as long as it isn't too bla...Hmm...

I guess I'm learning about guns. That counts for something, right?

Eureka Seven 1

This was a better introductory episode than E7 AO's ep 1. I didn't feel as lost as I did in AO and most of the phrases/terms like LFO were understandable via context.

Animation is pretty good to be holding up even today. I liked the music direction better in AO but this isn't bad either.

It's going to be interesting comparing how E7 and AO are going to be like. I don't mind spoilers if the two series are just tangentially related.

It's short.

Ahaha. Well played, sir.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 1:
That was...really good? I might even go as far as to say 'great'? The dream scenes (particularly the first one) were pretty incredible, and you could tell that a lot of care went into them. It felt very surreal and disorienting. There were tons of little touches throughout the episode, from the details in Akira's room to the all callbacks and little bits of symbolism.

They've managed to sell me on the main characters and have me interested in what happens next. It feels very unique.

Of course, I was joking, but I'd like to think anything is possible!

Of course.

Why would you say that? Now it's definitely going to turn into a pile of crap.

Hey, I was very careful to include a question mark. The duckroll hype machine, this isn't.

Eureka Seven 1

This was a better introductory episode than E7 AO's ep 1. I didn't feel as lost as I did in AO and most of the phrases/terms like LFO were understandable via context.

Animation is pretty good to be holding up even today. I liked the music direction better in AO but this isn't bad either.

It's going to be interesting comparing how E7 and AO are going to be like. I don't mind spoilers if the two series are just tangentially related.

I don't really understand comments like this. The history of animation is not a linear course upwards. Far from it.

Branduil

Fate Zero 14

WOW. Quality has certainly not dropped. This is definitely one of the best anime series I have ever scene. I really love the universe this anime is set in as well. This is the only show I'm planning to follow this season and it is definitely delivering

It's certainly not the worst pick if you can only watch one, but I can't imagine limiting myself like that this season.

If you're really clever, like the creator of Berserk, you can just draw really, really slowly. You don't even have to worry about the story!
I don't think getting hooked on The Idolmaster was a clever thing to to do. Unless he was trolling.
I don't really understand comments like this. The history of animation is not a linear course upwards. Far from it.
I doubt he literally meant the animation. He was probably talking about the visual quality as a whole.

frostbyte

I expected 2005/2006 visuals to have less eyecandy than this, especially since this a 50 episode series, not a movie. This is just my expectations, which are probably different from yours.

I doubt he literally meant the animation. He was probably talking about the visual quality as a whole.

That doesn't change my statement.

I expected 2005/2006 visuals to have less eyecandy than this, especially since this a 50 episode series, not a movie. This is just my expectations, which are probably different from yours.

This is Bones, who have shown on numerous occasions the ability to put top-notch production values behind their TV shows. FMA is one of the prime examples.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 01

This is just my Moonlight Lady background talking, but I am finding it very hard to restrain myself from masturbating at these character designs WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE SHAKY CAM STOP THAT SHIT ALREADY

why doesn't she question this chocobo thing? why does she so easily accept the fact than blondie just straight up vanished into thin air? what does the russian mafia have to do with any of this? where are they going? the fuck does any of this have to do with the yuriez?

So many questions, not enough shits given. I'm gonna go watch Moonlight Lady instead.
I expected 2005/2006 visuals to have less eyecandy than this
wut

Accel World 2

Normally an episode with 70% exposition/rules like this would annoy me, but this world is so cool that I don't even care. Why couldn't I be born in this era!? At least I'll be alive in 2040 when this takes place. Come on technology, get your shit together!

So if the Burst Linker avatar is created from an individual's subconscious perception of themselves, are the normal Neuro-Linker avatars the same? I mean I could imagine being a pig actually makes sense then since Haru clearly has a body image issue. I feel like this was explained last episode though and that wasn't it.

Fight was cool and I really like how the "audience" is just scattered all around the playing field. Gives it a kind of underground/illegal tournament feel which is always a plus. Glad there's already some actual strategy being implemented beyond typical fighting game rules. The way
Haru won
was pretty impressive.

This show needs more love.

Articalys

Space Brothers 3

That entire lung capacity scene was a wonderful near dead-on reference to a classic scene from the film "The Right Stuff". It was apparently even more obvious in the manga, since the timing clocks blatantly had the movie's logo on them.

I love this series so much; the opening four notes in the main theme feel really epic for some reason.

Branduil

Damn, that shit's REAL good:
Lupin (I liked episode 1 more than 2, though)
Eureka Ao (The OST really enhances the experience)
Apollon (Great first episode)

Very good shit:
Tsuritama (I'm not really feeling Haru but I really like the overall tone of the show)
Saint Seiya Omega (3>1>>>>>>>>>2)

Good shit:
Fate/Zero (Same as S1)
Space Bros (Somehow the cheesiest show of the season but still pretty enjoyable)

Fuck you, Kawamori
Aquarion Evol (Why do I do this to myself?)

Still waiting for Hyouka and
AKB0048.

There's no point in spoilering that last one, it's not like we didn't know you'd be sharing in Kawamori's lessons with us.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Indeed. I was impressed with FMA's consistency and level of production values and I'm still impressed by their ability.

I'm just impressed. I'm sorry if I said something offending.
Good art remains good through the ages. Art does not become obsolete with technological advancement.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fate/Zero Episode 15:
Archer is such an awesome jerk. It was also nice to see
Caster die in the shining brilliance of his holy maiden.
Looking forward to the results from
Kotomine's actions.

Jex

Some thoughts on Fate/Zero Episode 15:

The direction in general wasn't as sharp as last week's episode, but it was still pretty entertaining. There were some things I didn't particularly like about it though. The way certain events are handled felt a bit rushed and weak.

The confrontation between Kariya and Tokiomi in particular was handled very poorly imo. I get the intention that they want to show there's a huge gulf in ability between the two of them, and that Kariya is just a suicidal guy with no real chance at all, but the way it was presented wasn't exciting and just felt stupid after all the build up from last week. It was just lame.

I certainly wasn't a big fan of that all, it was just dull to watch and one of those rare times where something was built up only to completely fizzle out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom