• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 12

Megumi is best girl, but the teacher that kept cheering for her is almost as amazing.

Anybody except Erina

Yeah, it's great - I'm on episode 6 now. I'm not sure if it's because I saw that one sequence in Shirobako, but for some reason what stands out to me most are the explosions. They're usually only made up of three or four colours, but the contrast between them and the animation makes them so much more impactful than CG ones.

Yeah cel animated explosions had a certain energy to them. Hard to expain.

Quasar

Anybody except Erina

Bah. Adore Erina. So wish she was in it more. Hinako is my favourite though. Actually I like all the female cast.

Really liked 12. Was a pretty great conclusion to the battle. Its almost now caught up to where my manga reading stopped so seeing cour2 blind should be fun.

Other stuff.

Oregairu 12 - Great. A shippers paradise that episode. Am bummed they skipped over some stuff in the novels I really liked. Haruno continues to be an entertaining asshole. Really is the Joker.

DanMachi 12 - Liked this too. Was nice getting a bit of back story from the Elf who was an ex-adventurer. I guess Hestia down there and using her power caused all this shit to go down. Seeing Aiz sniffing herself in the background amused me greatly.

yami4ct

From up on Poppy Hill

This was playing at a local theater, so I finally decided to check it out. It's one of the few gaps in my Ghibli knowledge. I ended up really digging it. It's not a super ambitious film. It's just a small slice-of-life period piece and it accomplishes that perfectly. The characters and world were really charming. By far the best aspect was the music. It created the sense of melancholic nostalgia the film was going for.

The biggest problem for this film is that it's naturally going to be compared to other Ghibli works, but it sort of can't be. It's trying for something much smaller and in some ways more personal than those films. It accomplishes that in spectacular fashion, though.

Mature

From up on Poppy Hill

This was playing at a local theater, so I finally decided to check it out. It's one of the few gaps in my Ghibli knowledge. I ended up really digging it. It's not a super ambitious film. It's just a small slice-of-life period piece and it accomplishes that perfectly. The characters and world were really charming. By far the best aspect was the music. It created the sense of melancholic nostalgia the film was going for.

The biggest problem for this film is that it's naturally going to be compared to other Ghibli works, but it sort of can't be. It's trying for something much smaller and in some ways more personal than those films. It accomplishes that in spectacular fashion, though.
You echoed my sentiments on this film really well. I saw it in a theater too and was pleasantly surprised despite the lukewarm reception.

yami4ct

You echoed my sentiments on this film really well. I saw it in a theater too and was pleasantly surprised despite the lukewarm reception.

I think the
fake incest
storyline turned a lot of people off, but outside of one really odd scene that aspect didn't bother me at all.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 48 FIN

D0VTPmyl.jpg

Great, great finish. Egypt was as good as Battle Tendency and validates the first half in retrospect. I figure the BD corrections will smooth out the rough edges too. Really glad this was made despite the OVA existing which, I think, can be viewed as a complementary piece rather something competing.

javac

I really liked Poppy Hill. It has a few issues here and there but I enjoyed the pacing overall and I felt satisfied by the end. The film made me laugh quite a bit and had a nice bit of comedy but at the same time made me shed a few tears. Also it goes without saying that the setting was super fascinating and the story had a surprising revelation that I didn't expect and that was most welcomed. It's true that plot wise some parts do come across as a bit spontaneous and an extra few mins here and there would have helped but over all they did a great job with the time allocated. Not the best Ghibli film by any means but it had the formula of the type of Ghibli films that I tend to gravitate towards, being a slow period piece with a gorgeous soundtrack. It seems to fit into that Only Yesterday and Whisper of the heart mold, which are my top two Ghibli films. Really nice film overall and like with the other Ghibli films the dub was great and super enjoyable. A solid 8/10 for me.

cj_iwakura

Sailor Moon Black Crystal Episode 20

What in the fresh hell did they do to Wiseman. Everything else I can overlook, but he sounds pathetic now. He used to sound menacing.

Also, no Dragon Esmeraude? Pass. There's no tension anymore, just Sailor Moon Kills Everything. Wiseman manipulating her was a lot more entertaining.

Narag

I think the
fake incest
storyline turned a lot of people off, but outside of one really odd scene that aspect didn't bother me at all.

I think Goro Miyazaki is what turned people off despite him delivering something reasonably solid.

Shokugeki No Soma 12

Damn they nailed this whole segment in anime form, when first reading the manga I knew the series was good but this story line here pushed it from really good to extraordinary. The characters and world are so well written that it completely sucks you in.

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories ep.12
15%252520-%2525201%252520%25281%2529.gif

Is it bad that I almost couldn't finish this episode? I pretty much lost it when he was handed the
folder with Isla as the retrieval target and him as the signee
. I just can't; I'll be done for sure next week. I'm going to need a support group, a hug and a box tissues to dry my tears next week. Isla is so damn cute in so many ways and is such a good character now that Tsukasa is there with her. True character development in every way so fuck next week. She's Japan's #3 waifu, why dammit, WHY.
: (

javac

Speaking of Ghibli, artwork for the UK Limited Edition of Kaguya:
Out on the 13th of July 2015. Can't wait to finally watch this when it comes out. It's funny because I was hyped for The Wind Rises, keeping up with everything from the day it was announced up until release and I got the LE Blu-ray day one...and still have yet to watch it :(
Standard DVD/Blu-ray:

yami4ct

I think Goro Miyazaki is what turned people off despite him delivering something reasonably solid.

After Earthsea, I can see why. I think it really helps that he had a pretty great script to work from, but the directing was more than adequate in my opinion.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Advenutures: Stardust Crusaders - 48
I think now that the hype has died down the final episode... Underdelievered, I think I was most bummed out about how undramatic the music felt
how Jotaro finishing off Dio felt so unsatisfying to Vanilla Ice and Steely Dan. Still at least Joe proves why he's best Joestar.

Kekkai Sensen - 11
It felt like I was watching a completely different show heh. By the end of it I felt really bad for Leo, strung along and now
he's about to have his eyes ripped out? I'm not sure.
Bit of a downer we haven't seen anyone else the whole episode, I wanted more Zed : (

Arcadius

Banned
From up on Poppy Hill

One of my all time favorite slice of life movies and being from Studio Ghibli makes it sooo nice! If you haven't seen it yet, watch Whisper of the Heart too, another really good one I feel.

Mature

One of my all time favorite slice of life movies and being from Studio Ghibli makes it sooo nice! If you haven't seen it yet, watch Whisper of the Heart too, another really good one I feel.
Ah, I got that on Blu-ray and never watched it. Thanks for the reminder.

yami4ct

I really need to catch that. I've heard nothing but great things.

In other Ghibli comments, I also really need to check out Princess Kaguya. I'm still ashamed I missed that in theaters when it was going around.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Plastic Memories ep.12
15%252520-%2525201%252520%25281%2529.gif

Is it bad that I almost couldn't finish this episode? I pretty much lost it when he was handed the
folder with Isla as the retrieval target and him as the signee
. I just can't; I'll be done for sure next week. I'm going to need a support group, a hug and a box tissues to dry my tears next week. Isla is so damn cute in so many ways and is such a good character now that Tsukasa is there with her. True character development in every way so fuck next week. She's Japan's #3 waifu, why dammit, WHY.
: (

Why? Well that is because that is why the story has been gradually building up to since the first moment this show began.

Arcadius

Banned
I really need to catch that. I've heard nothing but great things.

In other Ghibli comments, I also really need to check out Princess Kaguya. I'm still ashamed I missed that in theaters when it was going around.

Ahh! You totally should, it's fantastic ~~

Just recently watched WoTH as well. Lovely little movie. Got me super hyped to rewatch The Cat Returns as well.

Cornbread78

Why? Well that is because that is why the story has been gradually building up to since the first moment this show began.

I know, I know, but it doesn't make it any easier to handle as they have turned Isla from a stoic human looking android into a lovable humanoid character and crafted a beautiful story around her and Tsukasa? Yeah, it's got it's corny parts and the
but yes, the endgame we have all known for awhile now is going to suck...

Cornbread78

Wolf Girl and Black Prince ep.1-5
wolf-girl-and-black-prince-1-2.png

I added this one from watching all those damn Crunchy commercials the other day and I'm actually kind of happy I did. The shit he says and does to her are both funny as hell and piss you off. I'm sure we'll get to why he is such a douche to her later on buy damn, that restaurant scene even made me feel bad for her. Then, you have the end of ep.5. These types of relationships are considered "abusive" in most places, but hey, let's see how this anime series depicts it because it is pretty damn entertaining. .

Robotguy

Yami Hat 8
Don't know what the last story had to do with anything, don't know what this story has to do with anything.

So, in this ep we meet a not so magical kitsune. She she informs Hadzuki of a magical girl in the bamboo fortress who has mysterious powers. Hadzuki investigates and finds the princess looks exactly like Hatsumi, but apparently isn't, even though they have the same comb. Apparently the comb was left behind by a girl who was born from the bamboo a long time ago and disappeared on her 16th birthday just like Hatsumi. Also, some weird people are trying to kidnap the princess to use her powers for nefarious purposes.

F/SN UBW 17-19

The reveal of Archer's identity was probably the best twist so far in the Fate universe, made a lot of sense and fits the story really well IMO. As a whole this second season has been a lot better then the first season as it's mostly focused on the plot and the twist/betrayals that made F/Z really good.

Narag

Those Who Hunt Elves II 12 FIN

Basically whatever in the end although it was neat to see Junpei transition from comic relief to actual character at last. Core conceit of elf stripping seems to have returned at the very end of the series too.

===

Both this and the first show are sort of the epitome of 7/10 anime. Comedy's a subjective beast by nature and while this was more miss than hit for me (when it hit, it hit big) it's hard to tell someone not to check it out if they're so inclined as they might find something more appreciable in the work than I did. With that said, I do wonder if this was just a right place, right time for the Western fandom to get something weird brought over and perhaps the notoriety of the series stems from lack of better options. At least we got a couple cool OPs from it: OP1 OP2

Jarmel

Banned
That's a show I want to watch/rewatch as I saw parts of it back on Toonami and liked it, so it would be interesting to see what I think of it now.

Denpa Kyoushi 12
The end to the Koutarou arc finally. My goodness were the battle scenes terrible. They literally had Koutarou fade in and out when dodging Kagami. I also still can't get over how Koutarou's hair looks like it's alive or something to me.
It's funny that for the next episode they are refitting some early content they replaced probably so they don't have to rewrite one of the next arcs.

The Devil's a Part-Timer Episode 13

That finale was quite disappointing in that it wasn't as funny as I'd hope it would be nor did anything significant happened. China is still cute though.

Seraph of the end episode 12

Alright, so this was okay in that there was some development for Yu; finally seem different from his incredibly annoying and hard headed self. Shinoua really has a cute laugh, like holy moly I love to her it.

Andrew J.

UBW 24

It's a pet peeve of mine when anime finales don't leave enough time for denouements...but a whole episode (plus a couple minutes from the end of this one) may be going too far in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom