• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/23/15.
Blu-ray
06/23/15
Hayate the Combat Butler: Season 4 [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $42.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $44.99
cFszSzIm.jpg

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro [Discotek]
Run Time: 100 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1 / English: DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / English: LPCM 2.0 / English: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $14.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $19.99
qyQqsSVm.jpg

Origin: Spirits of the Past S.A.V.E. [Funimation]
Run Time: 90 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $12.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $12.99
IfgQpJQm.jpg

Ping Pong the Animation: Complete Series [Funimation]
Run Time: 275 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $34.42
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $40.75
DFPMR3Km.jpg

DVD
06/23/15
Bleach: Set 25 [VIZ]
Run Time: 288 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $27.57
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $28.99
zhVYsDAm.jpg

ALSO Reminder: Both Spirited Away and The Cat Returns released last Tuesday:
Blu-ray
06/16/15
Spirited Away [Disney]
Run Time: 125 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Format: Two-disc set (1 BD, 1 DVD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $24.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $29.99
Ww4G6zKm.jpg

The Cat Returns [Disney]
Run Time: 75 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Format: Two-disc set (1 BD, 1 DVD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $21.92
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $29.99
1aUgN1Wm.jpg

*Apparently a lot of Discotek releases had a placeholder for the 23rd like Robot Carnival but I can't find any info on when they're actually coming out so I'll see if I can find out more.

Show By Rock!! 12 End
tumblr_nqay5pXXj71th25hko1_540.jpg
tumblr_nqay5pXXj71th25hko2_540.jpg

Best scene of the episode outside of Crow going crazy there across the screen, his best moment yet. But seeing Rom and Syuzo looking at each other as the words were on screen, really fitting for both of them.

I hope we return to midi city, it was a blast everyweek. Best female and male idol anime mix Ive seen. Shingancrimsonz up there with Shonen Hollywood, Quartet Night, Heavens, and Starish for best male idol group in anime.

Will keep watching the dub, so that will finish mid summer.

Defuser

Grisaia no Rakuen FINAL

Now this is one man who deserves his harem because he isn't spineless nor clueless and is a killing machine.

It's amazing how 8bit can make Kajitsu suck balls while the Meikyuu and Rakuen is better than every way because it focus on Yuuji.

Baalzebup

F/SN UBW 22

That has to be the most round about way of showing two characters have sex in any anime I've ever seen

They don't though. Bleached underpants version. Which of course makes it even more ridiculous, because it literally is symbolism only for the sake of symbolism.

F/SN UBW 23-24

Both fights in the finale were waaaaaaay too short and cut up with too many scenes of Rin trying to save Shinji. I have no problem with how Shirou defeated Gilgamesh in the context of this hack job writing it worked okay.

Phatmac

Pretty interested in seeing what they show, how far in the future they go or if they just continue a few days later after episode 24. If they do go into the future
I'd be interested in seeing whether this timeline's Shirou falls into the same loop of events, or if his encounter with himself as Archer changed him a bit.
Considering Archer never had a loved one during his timeline that is as devoted to him as Rin I think everything will turn out fine.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kinda want.

You and me both.

Finally you doin' it!

I know it took awhile, but it's happening!

This is hot, as is the spoiler tag.

Comiket don't fail me now!

=====================================

Sound Euphonium - 05

This show is so good. Absolutely loved the song they were playing when they were marching. All I need is for that childhood friend guy to go away forever and I'll be set.

Midonin

Hello! Kiniro Mosaic 12

No Broadway musical extravaganza like S1's finale, instead the focus was on something more intimate, more emotional, more central to the series - Shino and Alice's relationship. Everyone got in a gag. And the presence of Kusshi and Honoka shook up the dynamics enough for this season to feel really special. Having an anime about England be so popular that it inspires trips to England is great, and for those who enjoy English in anime, there's no better place than here. Kirara series are top notch, simply because they exhibit a particular kind of emotional resonance that anime (or Japan) in particular is really dang good at.

Kinmosa may be leaving the air, but I'm looking forward to Wakaba Girl next season - and whenever the second season of GochiUsa airs. Sundays will be lonely without Shino and Cyan.

Speaking of bait, here's an interview with the mangaka for Sound! Euphonium where he talks about things like feeling baited about drawing the manga with teases of KyoAni animating it, the difficulties of character designs/actions, and of course, yuri.

(Yes, I chose to be liberal because I'm pissed at the constant "KyoAni's yuribaiting!")

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You and me both.

I know it took awhile, but it's happening!

Comiket don't fail me now!

=====================================

Sound Euphonium - 05

This show is so good. Absolutely loved the song they were playing when they were marching. All I need is for that childhood friend guy to go away forever and I'll be set.

Well, this is going to be a beautiful disaster. Also, hope you been keeping up with Mikagura.

Ascheroth

F/SN UBW 20

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE CORRECT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE RIGHT

1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif

I'm not exactly sure what resolution Shirou came to but at least it was entertaining in a dumb/pretty way to get there.

What's with everyone and this line?
Yeah, the show is not perfect and certainly has its share of faults, but I thought that line absolutely made sense and it's a nice word play.
Essentially Shirou acknowledges Archers viewpoint, but refuses to accept it as the only possible one. Nothing wrong with that.

JoJo '93 4-6 END

You should really read the manga if you don't want to wait for Part 4. As for comparisons to the manga, the TV is a pretty literal adaptation of the manga so it's pretty easy to compare them from there. The TV series skipped nothing, so everything they skipped over in the OVA was skipped from the manga. And I totally agree about the voice actors in the TV series being perfect, I have never liked how the OVA VA's sounded, especially DIO.

Show by Rock 12 END

6RtGJfL.jpg

GUREAAAATO DAZE, JUST LIKE MY HAIR

This was a nice and enjoyable show, although I think the characters kind of rode Cyan's dick too hard for little reason. The end of the show reminded me of the part in the semifinal Gatchaman Crowds episode where everyone just says how awesome Hajime is. The most notable thing about this show will probably be that it had really good CGI, and Shingancrimsonz. Shingancrimsonz spinoff when?

And that last scene, could they have made it anymore obvious? :lol S2 the band takes the real world coming 2016

Maybe mobile games aren't as bad as we once thought

Just kidding mobile games are fucking trash

Tuck

Arslan Senki - 12
The episode itself was alright, but I'm pretty disappointed with the animation. Lack of a proper budget shows its ugly head here, and it was extremely evident. Probably because the episode had so much action, the poor quality of the action stood out even more than usual. Way too many still frames.

Elam/Arslan make a great pair.

Midonin

Eden of Grisaia

My final thoughts on this trilogy of games-turned-anime are mixed. On one hand, I liked that it shows visual novel based anime still stand a chance even if they're not Fate/, on the other hand the reasons why it seems to be popular aren't quite sitting right with me. I liked Fruit a little more than Labyrinth or Eden, disjointed as it was, but I didn't like Yuuji much at all. The rest of it did make me more sympathetic towards him, but when the show was focusing on its plot moments...

Well, I'm extremely thankful to the scheduling people, because the salve of Girlfriend Beta and Kiniro Mosaic was absolutely required to make it through the tougher parts. I wasn't super fond of Eden spending so long in the military segments either, and some of the reactions fans had elsewhere are just baffling. Yuuji may be everything fans think they want, but he's not a healthy individual. Not entirely of his own choice, but it's not exactly something to be celebrated, only pitied.

The kind of visual novels I'd choose to adapt probably wouldn't be these - I completely overlooked Grisaia on Getchu when they were releasing, and focused my efforts more on other titles - but as long as they show VNs still stand a fighting chance, then it's a net positive. But the point of it is that these people are screwed up, and perhaps that screwed up-ness is why they're drawn to each other... but it's worth looking at what it's trying to say about society that it's able to make people like that.

Cornbread78

Dropped it like 4 episodes in, couldn't stand the humor. Or the forced melodrama of everyone refusing to say anything to MC about his partner's condition.

It pays off in a big way in the later episodes after they set some if the world's "rules" and he learns the truth..

SDBurton

Well, this is going to be a beautiful disaster. Also, hope you been keeping up with Mikagura.

Don't give me that terrible foreboding vibe! T_T

I was on episode 5 or 6 of Mikagura when I was watching it last. I'll get caught up on that too after this.

==========================

Sound Euphonium - 06

No! NO! NOOOOOO! Don't tell me that
Hazuki is going to fall for that loser?!! KyoAni you fucks you had one job!!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Don't give me that terrible foreboding vibe! T_T

I was on episode 5 or 6 of Mikagura when I was watching it last. I'll get caught up on that too after this.

==========================

Sound Euphonium - 06

No! NO! NOOOOOO! Don't tell me that
Hazuki is going to fall for that loser?!! KyoAni you fucks you had one job!!

I repeat this is going to be a beautiful disaster.

Acosta

Finally could watch some anime, catched with the last two episodes of SNAFU and Nisekoi.

SNAFU 11 & 12

Stellar as usual but I'm getting quite worried about the ending, I have this feeling they are not going for a feel good one and that would heartbreak me. And the worst feeling is that I don't think there is any 100% satisfying ending. Some intense moments, some really funny (I haven't seen Hachiman so flushered so many times in the whole series, and Iroha keeps being hilarious, fantastic incorporation) and some really shocking moments. And I'm not getting Haruno anymore, I don't understand really well what she wants,

Loved this genuine ice-queen look of Yukinon, made my day.

cv9zDyI.jpg

Nisekoi 10 & 11

A serious episode in my Nisekoi? with Shu as protagonist? madness. Not my favorite episode, a bit too sad for what the series offer.

Aside of that tons of Onodera, which makes me happy, and the episode of the diet was hilarious for the reactions.

By the way, after that last part of the past of Onodera, she has to "win" (she had to win anyway, best girl #TeamOnodera). But come on, they have been in love to each other for years, it would be incredibly sad if it doesn't happen.

And they are fated by the scarf of destiny, it´s a signal.

q0UWibF.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Unfortunately, not a budget item... :(

Fam. first.

Understandable. If you need guest passes, hit me up anytime.

Yami Hat 6

I didn't know that Life of Pi was an anime.

You're in the wrong anime girl.

I don't know what this has to do with anything. Apparently Seiren used to know Lilith, but Lilith has forgotten about her.

I love how one character is basically some plaything Lilith came up with and then literally forgot. I also love how the show explains it exactly like that. So much care was put into this series lol. Yami is truly special.

Galaxy Angel Z (Season 2)

A great continuation of the Galaxy Angel series. Fantastic episodes that are broken down into 10-13 minute shorts. We're given a lot of great comedy again, making Season 2 an absolute must watch, but Galaxy Angel Z takes a turn and introduces some very real tense moments. The episode with Forte and the Silent Soldier was down right not a comedy; introducing dark, scary, tense and entirely different emotions from what we normally get in a Galaxy Angel episode. The stark difference works really well too, as the episodes that go in the opposite direction from the standard Galaxy Angel setup seem to act like backstory and of a more serious intent.

The story is once again, for the most part, non-existent, though it makes Galaxy Angel focus on the harder things like character interaction and actually being funny, something that Galaxy Angel does really well.

Sound and music design is very 90's, with a lot of sounds that seem to come from many different shows. It doesn't hurt Galaxy Angel, but it's not exactly the best either. Ambient sounds are good though, as are the sounds of guns and other things. Opening and ED are really nice to listen to once again.

The girls are still really cute and with Galaxy Angel Z, we see more depth and information about them than ever before. Mint and Milfuelle continue to be super adorable and mega cute, my favorites!! ~

It keeps up that same quality up until Rune. Rune was sort of a "next generation Galaxy Angel" which ruined the formula. But up until then, it was all groovy. Also Im glad you dont take the story seriously, because neither did the show!

Jex

So, this season is slowly drawing to a close. I can only hope next season will provide us with better anime, and perhaps better posts. You never know.

In the meantime, I may catch up with Euphonium. I only have interest in watching that after it has aired, not week to week.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So, this season is slowly drawing to a close. I can only hope next season will provide us with better anime, and perhaps better posts. You never know.

In the meantime, I may catch up with Euphonium. I only have interest in watching that after it has aired, not week to week.

Having seen what has been hyped for next season, I would hold that expectation in check as we enter the Summer of Lewdness.

cajunator

Banned
Erina becomes much more tolerable in....50-70 chapters...ha.

I cant imagine how unless she does a complete heel turn.
She's way too haughty.

Megumi is seriously the bestest of the best.

This is definitely true!

I think Goro Miyazaki is what turned people off despite him delivering something reasonably solid.

After Tales from Earthsea I held off on watching anything from him. Still havent seen Poppy Hill but Im afraid I will get bored.

Plastic Memories ep.12
15%252520-%2525201%252520%25281%2529.gif

Is it bad that I almost couldn't finish this episode? I pretty much lost it when he was handed the
folder with Isla as the retrieval target and him as the signee
. I just can't; I'll be done for sure next week. I'm going to need a support group, a hug and a box tissues to dry my tears next week. Isla is so damn cute in so many ways and is such a good character now that Tsukasa is there with her. True character development in every way so fuck next week. She's Japan's #3 waifu, why dammit, WHY.
: (

This show is so adorable and sad. It tugs on the heartstrings in unfair ways similar to Celestial Method. Stupid shows putting cuties in despair.

Jex

JoJo '93 4-6 END

Before I begin I just want to say the sacrifice at the very beginning of this OVA series was the perfect way to set the tone for the rest of the OVA run and I'm glad they cut it up (heh) for the "opening" of each installment.

Reading the JoJo's mangas has always been on my bucket list but I never really got around to it due to the (until recent) gaps in the series and (current) pisspoor quality control of the translations so it's been pretty fun watching some of the bits and pieces I've gathered from cultural osmosis fleshed out through the TV series. I'm glad that I put this OVA off until the end of Part 3 as it made me appreciate the sheer animation talent on display here (compared to the really inconsistent series) and the impeccable layouts and overall visual flair.

It also made me really appreciate the TV series and the things it did right. For example:

• Jotaro being a far more stoic character (making the emotional payoff of the ending all the more evocative)
  • The casting in the TV series was utterly pitch-perfect and made some of the choices really stand out (not in a good way) in the OVA
  • The way ZA WARUDO was revealed was really, really smart and came across much better even though the OVA had better framing
  • Likewise with the quick cut to the blood drenched Senator's car, though I really appreciated the fucked up & meticulous (and brilliant) scene in the OVA (shoutouts to the tram bit in the latter too, goddamn)
  • And most importantly of all they stuck with the Steamroller!
I don't really know all that well how most of this compares to the source material (apart from steamroller!!) but I had a blast comparing and contrasting the two. I don't think I'll watch the 2000 OVA (unless there's some choice eps worth checking out) but man, the wait for Part 4 and beyond is gonna be absolutely unbearable. :(
Good post. I can't really disagree with much that you've said, I'd just like to highlight some more standout shots from the OVA's:

cajunator

Banned
Inside Out

Pixar's back baby.

Cant wait to watch it. also might watch Jurassic Pratt.

Just recently watched WoTH as well. Lovely little movie. Got me super hyped to rewatch The Cat Returns as well.

Cat Returns is Ghibli's cutest movie and it isnt even fair. I love that movie so much. Im not biased.

Yami Hat 8
Don't know what the last story had to do with anything, don't know what this story has to do with anything.

So, in this ep we meet a not so magical kitsune. She she informs Hadzuki of a magical girl in the bamboo fortress who has mysterious powers. Hadzuki investigates and finds the princess looks exactly like Hatsumi, but apparently isn't, even though they have the same comb. Apparently the comb was left behind by a girl who was born from the bamboo a long time ago and disappeared on her 16th birthday just like Hatsumi. Also, some weird people are trying to kidnap the princess to use her powers for nefarious purposes.

If you are still confused at this point...then all is well.
This might be metaphorically significant or it might be pointless filler. Either answer is correct!

That's a show I want to watch/rewatch as I saw parts of it back on Toonami and liked it, so it would be interesting to see what I think of it now.

I think you might like it. I found it hilarious. Season 1 anyway. Thats a pretty solid watch.

JMTHEFOX

I'm glad that you're interested in it :) I'm pretty sure that this is just the first TV series that ran from 1981 to 1983 and consisted of 64 episodes (1589 min runtime). The first series was directed by Takahata which is probably the reason this exists on Blu-ray hah. This does not include the Kazuyoshi Yokota directed 39 episode sequel.

The film which was also directed by Takahata is out soon too (July 17th)

Unfortunately neither of these include English subs so not very importer friendly.

Ouch, that sucks. Oh well, at least the prequel movie is coming on Blu-ray.

Good post. I can't really disagree with much that you've said, I'd just like to highlight some more standout shots from the OVA's:

Is there a reason why the OVA's character designs look completely different from Araki's designs? Was it the Studio's decision to not have it be faithful to the manga designs or was it for some other reason?

e_i

Show By Rock episode 12 End

Great ending for the dark horse of the season. I guess it had to end the way it did
Poor Retoree, can't be with your girlfriend.
But all the characters learned from each other and that's what counts.

Anyway look at the girls in the club? They look like the girls from Plasmagica.

javac

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the UK for 22/06/15.
Blu-ray
22/06/15
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water Complete Series Collection [Animatsu]
Run Time: 975 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 (48kHz, 24-bit) / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Format: Five-disc set (5 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.co.uk: £54.99
swAVBP2l.jpg

DVD
22/06/15
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water Complete Series Collection [Animatsu]
Run Time: 975 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format: Eight-disc set (8 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.co.uk: £39.99
10pOiFhm.jpg

cajunator

Banned
UBW 24
Holy cow what a journey. To those who critique this show to hell and back let me tell you this, my opinion is my own and I thought it was excellent. And this episode? Good lord, Ufotable went all out on this one. Non-stop action with crazy visuals, this was quite the send off...

HUq6HM2l.jpg

So epilogue next week??

I only watched episode 1 honestly.
Looks like its worth my time to marathon the whole thing now.
Im interested how they took a story that was able to be made into a movie and stretched it to series length. I also wonder if I can handle that much Shirou shit in a series again.
Ill do it for Rin and Saber.

Plastic Memories sounding more and more like a KEY show.

Plastic Memories is not nearly so melodramatic. It can get pretty sad at times but not overwrought or overbearing.

When they said this was a band show, I didn't think they meant "Band of the Hawk."

Hehehehee. Will they or wont they? It varies week to week!

Squid Girl episode 5

I want one.

Give me one.

I will smother it with love.

Oh god. Chibi ika musume might be the most adorable thing ever.

Arslan Senki - 12

Narsus and daryuun are such cheat codes , lol

And goddamn this animation ..THIS ANIMATION!

This show is so good.

This show is so good.

It's everything i could have hoped
Every episode i'm getting some suikoden or fire emblem vibes. All the characters are excellent and ...
Oh so good.

The way politics affect the story at ecbatana are excellent ... too bad they stopped the damage after 1 month

I only watched episode 1 honestly.
Looks like its worth my time to marathon the whole thing now.
Im interested how they took a story that was able to be made into a movie and stretched it to series length. I also wonder if I can handle that much Shirou shit in a series again.
Ill do it for Rin and Saber.
Wait, you've got it wrong.. the UBW movie actually cut things and compressed events in order for it to be a movie.
This season is the full route of the game

Cornbread78

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches Ep.11
Dammit, why is the Student Council President always a complete douche in these shows? Why not give him his girl? He's working so hard for it too. They just had to string the suspense for the finale.. This is definitely my surprise show of the season with how it progressed. .

Arcadius

Banned
After Tales from Earthsea I held off on watching anything from him. Still havent seen Poppy Hill but Im afraid I will get bored.

I'm a little disappointed you haven't seem From Up on Poppy Hill, it's really good... and aren't you a fan of slice of life shows?/?? I think I'm confused....

It keeps up that same quality up until Rune. Rune was sort of a "next generation Galaxy Angel" which ruined the formula. But up until then, it was all groovy. Also Im glad you dont take the story seriously, because neither did the show!

Ah, well that's good.

Cat Returns is Ghibli's cutest movie and it isnt even fair. I love that movie so much. Im not biased.

Just a little biased... =)

cajunator

Banned
So, besides the Monogatari series, are there any good anime based off light novels? I should preface some answers by telling you that I don't think highly of Haruhi or SNAFU.

Kino's Journey
Twelve Kingdoms
Spice and wolf

Actually I dont know why this statement is still acceptable given all the evidence to the contrary.

Sound Euphonism - 01

I may be late on this yuri train but let's goooooo!

Its not yuri!
its totally yuri

Cornbread78

Fruit of Grisaia S2 END
Damn, a crazy ending, as only Grisaia could be, to this awesome series. This another big loss to watch going into the summer season. Ending was pretty funny as he has fully firmed an awesome harem by his side. I hope he can spread his love to all of them going forward, lol.

SDBurton

I repeat this is going to be a beautiful disaster.

:(

Man, you should have been here when episode 8 first aired.

Don't know whether to be scared or excited.

Don't give up. #Believe

Trying to hang in there, on the end of my rope!

======================================

Sound Euphonism - 06

I am so conflicted. On one hand, I'm really pissed that Hazuki is falling for a boy. On the other, that boy is Kumiko's childhood friend, meaning Hazuki's sacrifice could allow for Kumiko x Kousaka to happen. Gaaaaah why should Hazuki be thrown to wolves in order for my OTP to happen?!

yami4ct

Sounds like the head writer of Eureka Seven AO is gonna be responsible for the next Kamen Rider.

I'm sure he has a great story in him (he's done some decent KR work in the past), but I can't help but think this is gonna go really, really poorly.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, you having some feels again are you?

Lol, true.
e975397b43a28366dc927e45d72afe27.jpg

Speaking of feels, wait till you get a bit further into Full Moon.

Wish me luck!

Liking what I seeing so far!

=========================================

Sound Euphonism - 02

This show almost makes me want to forgive KyoAni for season 2 of Tamako Market when they destroyed my OTP. Let's see if they can keep this up.

Why did it take you this long to start this?
ALso I dont think your dream will happen, but this show does a great job stringing us along.

Sakura's dad tho

BXindNk.jpg

father of the cutest character in the animu universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom