• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hastati

Snafu 13

Such a good ending to such a good series. I don't think I've cared more about a group of character's well-being ... ever. Not even considering romance, you just really want this trio to be happy. Yes, nothing was resolved, but we weren't yet at a point of resolution. There's still one last big (if not long) hurdle to get over. It wouldn't have done the series justice to rush it.

I would actually love to see a movie, if there isn't enough material for a full second season. Or maybe a 6 episode OVA?

Edit: This really was a great season. So many enjoyable shows. Nothing perfect, but a lot of quality, a lot of entertainment. Makes me glad I became a fan again.

heh at least someone knows the feeling.

i mean I can't watch any movie that isn't an action or comedy, dramas just bore me because they don't have enough time to set up characters to the point where I can care about them before bad things start happening.

don't get me wrong, sometimes I can get attached to characters quickly, but it's very rare. but heck it often takes me 4+ episodes to learn the main characters names in anime, before then I will just refer to them as spikey haired dude, or mcbitchface...

I mean... I have read all of the soma manga and have watched the anime... and I am having troubles naming super bitch.... Erina maybe.... idk...

I can hate quickly though lol... might take me a while to care, but I can wish a character to go away and never return in no time like with super bitch in food wars.

We share the same sentiments for the most part.

If you expected anything conclusive from an unfinished adaptation you expected too much

>expecting something from animegaf/other

If you watch anime series you have to be prepared for dangling endings, particularly from adaptations. It's something which has been part of the medium since the days of unfinished OVA series.

Droplet

Yes, but I'm not mentioning other shows (like Haikyuu or Baby Steps, both great shows) because stuff like "fujoshi pandering" or yaoi was never mentioned in relation to them. When Kuroko started airing people were criticizing it because of that without even seeing the show, despite a few AnimeGAF regulars praising it.

I hate to break this to you, but I imagine quite a few people didn't watch Kuroko not because of fujoshi pandering, but because it's just not very good.

I see Big Windup and Haikyuu, both shows that were or are very popular with the fujoshi crowd, recommended quite often when people ask for shows about sports. I also watched Free and enjoyed it. The main difference between these shows and Kuroko no Basket is that there's an obvious sense of realism when the characters are playing the sport the show is about, and I enjoy learning about the sports or remembering the ones I used to play. Kuroko no Basket is a shounen battle anime in sports form.

jman2050

If you watch anime series you have to be prepared for dangling endings, particularly from adaptations. It's something which has been part of the medium since the days of unfinished OVA series.

One day we'll get another episode of Dragon Half!

One day...

Seriously though, Dragon Half manga is some awesome shit, well worth reading if you can

What were people expecting from SNAFU? Maybe they should have ended it without touching volume 11 material, but there was never any way to have a conclusion. Anime adaptations are advertisements for the source material, but I don't see how this one is especially egregious with it.

kewlmyc

Meanwhile SNAFU has a Pie ending and tells everyone to read the LN for the real ending.

Funny how close I was to this prediction.

SNAFU S2 13

It's really a non ending, and ends with
Yukino finally asking for help. Also if Yui is able to help Yukino with her issue, then she's gonna take Hachiman for herself.
It's probably the exact way that volume 11 ends, so they literally ran out of material. Considering volume 12 or 13 might be the last novel, I don't thing we'll have enough material left for a 3rd season. We might be forced to go the OVA or movie route (which I wouldn't mind, just sucks for Crunchyroll only users). Also, I recommend everyone check out the fan translations of the novels now. It'll help relieve the pain of the non-ending the anime got. It's also the only way you're going to see a conclusion to the story anytime soon. They translator, Spyro, is pretty damn good and is pretty quick to translate.

All and all, this season was adapted pretty damn well. Only complaint was every Saki scene got cut for the most part, but same thing happened in season 1, so I'm not blaming Feel for that. The season having a non-ending keeps me from going any higher with my score and recommending this to others though.

8/10

zulux21

I hate to break this to you, but I imagine quite a few people didn't watch Kuroko not because of fujoshi pandering, but because it's just not very good.

I see Big Windup and Haikyuu, both shows that were or are very popular with the fujoshi crowd, recommended quite often when people ask for shows about sports. I also watched Free and enjoyed it. The main difference between these shows and Kuroko no Basket is that there's an obvious sense of realism when the characters are playing the sport the show is about, and I enjoy learning about the sports or remembering the ones I used to play. Kuroko no Basket is a shounen battle anime in sports form.

bleh, I wouldn't recommend big windup or haikyuu to anyone but the most dedicated sports manga/anime fans. The main character to both series is so annoying @_@

I'd much rather recommend Major to people (which has a solid ending) or if you want less battle stuff like Cross Game instead. (though currently I just recommend baby steps as it is paced well and has an intelligent main character, which is so rare in a sports show @_@)

Phatmac

I haven't felt this angry since the end of spice and wolf. I can't be mad cause this episode was amazing.
this really is the confrontation of both Yui and Yuki's feelings for Hachiman. Yui was supposed to have this date together with him but she sacrificed her dream date in order to bring them all together. This was a devious plot from a supposed nice girl as she uses this oppertunity to openly confess her feelings yet still trying to have both of her best friends be together by letting Yuki have not once but two chances to confess her feelings. Yuki is afraid of confessing since she doesn't know what'll happen after. She doesn't want to destroy her friendship with Yui and Hachiman. The moment we've been waiting for is denied by Hachiman as he rejects the entire confrontation by calling it a deception. He wants this to be genuine and having someone be put on the spot for such a big choice was not going to end well. They've resolved themselves to wait for now but the image he's created for either girl is broken when he states once again that Yui is a nice girl and Yuki is a strong one. This image is shattered as he sees Yui's cunning deception and Yuki's strong persona crumble to her vulnerable inner self. They are all at the edge of their relationship as both sides are now evident. I don't know who Hachiman will pick as he has feelings for both but we won't get our answer soon. Nevertheless SNAFU was a great journey that must be resolved in any way for me.

jman2050

The guys who did Nyaruko had the right idea, run your anime for as long as it's worth and then do an ending OVA just to bring some closure to the whole thing.

PK Gaming

Re-Kan! Episode 13:

Last week really should have ended the series, still this show was the supreme house of adequacy for the season.

Yeah, I felt the same way.

Episode 12 had the best production values, a strong overarching plot with arguably the biggest emotional punch in the season (in a season filled with a surprising amount of sentimental moments) It also managed to leverage the side characters nicely, and ends on a really strong note. Episode 13 plays out no differently than any of the other standard episodes, but I guess I can't be too hard on it because it literally ends with a ghost cat rejoicing after his yuri ship sails.

vzXm6qM.gif

Yea.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Episode 12 had the best production values, a strong overarching plot with arguably the biggest emotional punch in the season (in a season filled with a surprising amount of sentimental moments) It also managed to leverage the side characters nicely, and ends on a really strong note. Episode 13 plays out no differently than any of the other standard episodes, but I guess I can't be too hard on it because it literally ends with a ghost cat rejoicing after his yuri ship sails.

vzXm6qM.gif

Yea.

Fits well with the current logo.

Yahari Season 2 Ep 13

Well thats a non ending if ive ever seen one. Well Ill wait for the light novels to keep being written and through that hopefully we get a resolution in some for of ova or season 3. Even if the anime ended here I think overall I got what I wanted out of this anime which is more animated SNAFU.

Cornbread78

I haven't felt this angry since the end of spice and wolf. I can't be mad cause this episode was amazing.
this really is the confrontation of both Yui and Yuki's feelings for Hachiman. Yui was supposed to have this date together with him but she sacrificed her dream date in order to bring them all together. This was a devious plot from a supposed nice girl as she uses this oppertunity to openly confess her feelings yet still trying to have both of her best friends be together by letting Yuki have not once but two chances to confess her feelings. Yuki is afraid of confessing since she doesn't know what'll happen after. She doesn't want to destroy her friendship with Yui and Hachiman. The moment we've been waiting for is denied by Hachiman as he rejects the entire confrontation by calling it a deception. He wants this to be genuine and having someone be put on the spot for such a big choice was not going to end well. They've resolved themselves to wait for now but the image he's created for either girl is broken when he states once again that Yui is a nice girl and Yuki is a strong one. This image is shattered as he sees Yui's cunning deception and Yuki's strong persona crumble to her vulnerable inner self. They are all at the edge of their relationship as both sides are now evident. I don't know who Hachiman will pick as he has feelings for both but we won't get our answer soon. Nevertheless SNAFU was a great journey that must be resolved in any way for me.

Excellent breakdown, I'm still pissed they did it this way though, it's garbage.. They need a movie now or once the final volume is ready in English, I might actually read it to alleviate the pain..

Arrggh. Log Horizon, White Album, Pet Sakura... all these non endings..

Phatmac

Excellent breakdown, I'm still pissed they did it this way though, it's garbage.. They need a movie now or once the final volume is ready in English, I might actually read it to alleviate the pain..

Hopefully enough sales can convince them to make an OVA or something. The anime is far too good it to end like this. Reading it wouldn't be the same as seeing how greatly it's adapted in anime.

VRMN

Nisekoi:
I'm to this day one of the poor saps that keeps reading the manga this is based on despite no discernable plot progress since...well, the events of season one's conclusion, really. There are false starts and stops, and the occasional bright spot, but this is where the anime got past what I like, or liked, about Nisekoi, and got into the monotony of courage easily forgotten and progress easily retracted. Oh sure, Haru is the best thing to happen to Nisekoi, manga or anime, but she's not around nearly enough in this go around to make her impact felt. She merely keeps this from being a tribulation and rather something mediocre, with no plot to call its own unlike the first season's basic, but existant, story. 5/10

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
This was far better than the title would lead one to believe going in, but whether that makes this good in and of itself is something I would dispute. Most of the characters are at least entertaining, if shallow, but there are things to like about them. There are also interesting aspects to the story, sure, but like many light novel adaptations, this is the tip of the iceburg being presented and, as such, most threads go nowhere, imploring you to go read the books or pray for a second season. A decent start for something aimed at the mass market...whatever that means when it comes to anime, anyway...but in doing so settles for being just okay in most respects, from character, to art design, to setting and story. 6/10

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!
Oregairu is not a perfect series, but it is definitely a very, very good one. It suffers, sometimes badly, from its characters being often more introspective and philosophical than any realistic teenager, but this is a problem that is far more pervasive than just this sole franchise. What I like about the series is how well it does subtext; how much information it conveys non-verbally and how perceptive the characters can be about it. It's a fresh breath in an anime landscape full of characters that continually fail to pick up on the most obvious of hints. The characters have exaggerated, but interesting flaws that make their existence more valuable for the viewer. Iroha in particular provided a new charge into what had become a bit of a formula. If I had a bone to pick, and I largely don't, it's that the ending seems to be preparing for an OVA that will contain the actual finale, probably packaged with the final light novel, so it doesn't really feel like a completed work. However, what is here is so good in terms of character development and plot that I struggle to hold that against it in earnest. 9/10

SNAFU 13.

Theres a gaping hole in my heart now. I expected this kind of unresolved ending but LETS GO YUI

And holy damn @ Yuimom. Why didnt we see her before :(

cajunator

Banned

This is quite true. I grew accustomed to this so it never bothers me at this point. I expect to see a noncommittal ending. If a show goes beyond that and actually resolves things then it goes to a higher tier.

One day we'll get another episode of Dragon Half!

One day...

Seriously though, Dragon Half manga is some awesome shit, well worth reading if you can

Dragon Half D:
Never finished, but always in my heart. One of the funniest and cutest things ever made.

vzXm6qM.gif

Yea.

hnnnnng that gif

kewlmyc

Excluding White Album, which is based on a VN, these anime are based on currently running (or were at the time the anime was runing) LNs. You might want to stick with original anime or anime based on completed material like Jojo. Not sure why White Album had an open ending though. VNs are usually complete.

theres a new ubw tomorrow?

isnt everyone dead, so its 24 minutes of talking?

Epilouge. So 1 hour 30 minutes of Shirou and Rin flirting in London.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol @ the snafu pain
Better or worse than yuri pain?

The Big Windup is written by a woman who was a softball player, so that helps.

The guys who did Nyaruko had the right idea, run your anime for as long as it's worth and then do an ending OVA just to bring some closure to the whole thing.
Did that actually have an ending?

They might as well have just stuck an endcard after the ED that says "Go buy the light novels!"

Also, introduced true best girl.

I dont think it was realistic to expect things to be resolved this episode, and I really can't imagine any ending that wouldn't feel unsatisfactory considering the LNs are still unfinished. So it was pretty good all things considered. But shit the wait is gonna be horrible.

Yuimom is awesome tho

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The leads actually kiss!
Not in an anime!

Also, it's unfortunate that the Crunchyroll guys didn't subtitle or translate the sign in Oregairu 13 with the penguins. It apparently serves as an important metaphor for the relationship of the characters, so without understanding that, it's literally just a bunch of moon runes on screen for a few seconds for no reason.

Not in an anime!

Also, it's unfortunate that the Crunchyroll guys didn't subtitle or translate the sign in Oregairu 13 with the penguins. It apparently serves as an important metaphor for the relationship of the characters, so without understanding that, it's literally just a bunch of moon runes on screen for a few seconds for no reason.

Its insane just how badly Crunchy dropped the ball on this series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SNAFU ending was incomprehensible, inconclusive garbage. Obnoxious ANIME dialogue where you can barely even understand whatever the fuck they're talking about. Why is it that every series that gets a dramatic turn results in people talking hyper-cryptically?

I thought it was great that
Yui was trying for the self sacrifice role and Hachiman just went "Nope!" He wants this to happen organically.
So yeah, it was a non ending, but at least things are moving in the right direction.

Ending the episode RIGHT before
Yukino said her request
tho? That made me rage though lol. AHHHHH.

SNAFU ending was incomprehensible, inconclusive garbage. Obnoxious ANIME dialogue where you can barely even understand whatever the fuck they're talking about. Why is it that every series that gets a dramatic turn results in people talking hyper-cryptically?

Crunchy subs are pretty terrible. Had to rely on Reddit again for some clarity and now I'm alright with the episode. My first reaction at the end of the episode was "Seriously?"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, my problem with the ending is that they've both seen the problems that their situation can use in the other group and also they already had their climatic moment. Turning this decision into another "thing" just seems silly at this point.

I guess it doesn't help that I don't really care if he ends up with either of them though.

cajunator

Banned

so theres anime dialogue in an anime?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
so theres anime dialogue in an anime?

Not all of them do that and not all of them even have scenes like this. But it was a high-drama scene and I basically didn't know what they were talking about. I mean, I knew vaguely what the characters feelings were towards each other, but nothing they were saying was comprehensible in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom