• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the world of girl love! It's slippery when wet!
------------
facepalm.gif

Yooooo
.....yo
------------
Can't believe none of you recognised that reference. i'm now disapointed

She's one of the best. Yuri is awesome.
Damn right , she is one of the best character of this franchise.
Come on guys , ignore the fact that they tried to make a danganronpa anime and just go play the damn games. you probably won't regret it.
Your only regret will be the wait for the third game !
All this talk just reminds me that all you people who didn't finish Yuri Kuma Arashi need to finish it

You know who you are
BUSTED !!
Damn i know i didn't finish this show but that was because despite the yuri ( witch i love watching) , i got freaking lost by all those flashback, sub plots , betrayal , SUDDEN TWISTS..
Argh i'll finish it this week-end i guess.
Yeah, I felt the same way.

Episode 12 had the best production values, a strong overarching plot with arguably the biggest emotional punch in the season (in a season filled with a surprising amount of sentimental moments) It also managed to leverage the side characters nicely, and ends on a really strong note. Episode 13 plays out no differently than any of the other standard episodes, but I guess I can't be too hard on it because it literally ends with a ghost cat rejoicing after his yuri ship sails.

vzXm6qM.gif

Yea.
Goddamn , sorry , yuri kuma arashi , i've got re-kan to finish first. Got to enjoy some delicious frienship.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Disappointment in Nagato Yuki-chan - 10-13

Since I was "on vacation" I wasn't able to voice my opinion on this arc in the story. To sum it up in one word, tease.

The show tricks you into thinking it may finally head in an interesting direction by apparently making Nagato her old self again with the book reading and minimal speech but it soon becomes apparent it's a load of nothing. What we get instead of a conundrum of her remembering what she did to the timeline, that she is an alien and Haruhi is/was a God is just a personality dispute repeated over and over for three episodes. Couldn't even keep the real Nagato personality consistent. What a load of crock of load of crocking crocking poop.

Didn't help that Haruhi was absent for the whole thing.

I'm now running to work because I just couldn't wait until tonight to watch it. I may be late but it was well worth it. Everyone has done a good job writing their impressions so I wouldn't be adding anything new to the table. Amazing series, although the ending ended on a cliffhanger. I prefer it that way because it leaves their options open without butchering the original intent with an original ending. We want something genuine right?? I'll wait as long as it takes, waited for 2 years before so I can do it again. OVAs, a movie, or another season, whatever it is I know we will get a resolution to their story. This last episode wasn't your usual "and they were happy ever after", no there are still issues to be solved and the characters reassured us of that at the end.

This isn't goodbye, it's just a see you later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm now running to work because I just couldn't wait until tonight to watch it. I may be late but it was well worth it. Everyone has done a good job writing their impressions so I wouldn't be adding anything new to the table. Amazing series, although the ending ended on a cliffhanger. I prefer it that way because it leaves their options open without butchering the original intent with an original ending. We want something genuine right?? I'll wait as long as it takes, waited for 2 years before so I can do it again. OVAs, a movie, or another season, whatever it is I know we will get a resolution to their story. This last episode wasn't your usual "and they were happy ever after", no there are still issues to be solved and the characters reassured us of that at the end.

This isn't goodbye, it's just a see you later.

I think the problem is that the way it ends makes it seem as if they literally learned nothing from the year they spent together. I'm sure it'd be better if the events of volume 12 took place directly after, but since we have to wait months for that book to be written or years for some animated form of that story to be created, we don't really have that luxury.

I don't even care about the cliffhanger. I just think it's stupid to make us think there should be a cliffhanger in the first place, since it ruins the characterization of the characters.

PK Gaming

Strawberry Panic, I guess.

What? No. No no no no no no. No!

Strawberry Panic is a joke when it comes to portraying realistic homosexual relationships. It's not a terrible anime by any means (though certainly not great) but it's filled with overly dramatic and saccharine relationships and exists in an alternate reality where a significant portion of the student body is gay. Also worst girl wins.

I have to wonder, are there any anime that do a serious take on a lesbian relationship/romance and actually take it seriously? Like, similar to Koi Kaze's take on an incestuous affair.

Literally the only anime that come to mind are Utena and Aoi Hana. Both anime have a very legit take on queer relationships in general. Utena is more fantastical whereas Aoi Hana is more grounded. It's worth noting that Utena isn't strictly a yuri anime, but a very, very good watch in general.

Welp, I've finished up Aria, Phi Brain, and Shirokuma Cafe. I'm declaring this backlog season a success.

I was looking at Phi Brain birthday arts for this year yesterday. I miss Phi Brain, still wish it got a 4th season, and that Sentai would releases Season 3. Sure they could have stopped with s2, but I like how we can tie everything together and get or Rook and his Kaito together at last.

As a straight male I will always prefer boys kissing in anime over girls kissing in anime. it just in general feels a lot less forced to me and a lot less fanservicy.

I can't really think of a pure yaoi or yuri series that has sold well. though they tend to be romance, and there aren't a ton of pure romances in general that have sold a ton that I can think of.

SasuNaru kisse scenes and Yamada Miyamura kiss scenes are the best. Monochrome Factor kiss scenes too, and Mirai Nikki had a memorable one.

Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi dont count?, they got three seasons and a movie even, and the manga sells well. Well quite a few BL manga sell well, hoping they get animes someday. (>70K when most dont even get to 18-20K on the 50 chart).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi dont count?, they got three seasons and a movie even, and the manga sells well. Well quite a few BL manga sell well, hoping they get animes someday. (>70K when most dont even get to 18-20K on the 50 chart).
Those two are probably the most notable.

Although for me, Antique Bakery will always have a place in my heart since it introduced nichome to me. I mean, it makes sense that there would be a village in Tokyo, but it just never occurred to me that there would be any kind of queer scene in Japan given how conservative the country seems.

Baalzebup

I haven't felt this angry since the end of spice and wolf. I can't be mad cause this episode was amazing.
this really is the confrontation of both Yui and Yuki's feelings for Hachiman. Yui was supposed to have this date together with him but she sacrificed her dream date in order to bring them all together. This was a devious plot from a supposed nice girl as she uses this oppertunity to openly confess her feelings yet still trying to have both of her best friends be together by letting Yuki have not once but two chances to confess her feelings. Yuki is afraid of confessing since she doesn't know what'll happen after. She doesn't want to destroy her friendship with Yui and Hachiman. The moment we've been waiting for is denied by Hachiman as he rejects the entire confrontation by calling it a deception. He wants this to be genuine and having someone be put on the spot for such a big choice was not going to end well. They've resolved themselves to wait for now but the image he's created for either girl is broken when he states once again that Yui is a nice girl and Yuki is a strong one. This image is shattered as he sees Yui's cunning deception and Yuki's strong persona crumble to her vulnerable inner self. They are all at the edge of their relationship as both sides are now evident. I don't know who Hachiman will pick as he has feelings for both but we won't get our answer soon. Nevertheless SNAFU was a great journey that must be resolved in any way for me.

Top tier write-up and analysis. I don't personally mind the non-ending since it was pretty clear from the get go that there are too many issues to resolve in a single episode. I do join the various voices in hoping that the series is brought to a close in animated format after the final volume(s) have hit the ground. Leaving things at this level permanently would be a huge dick move.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Strawberry Panic is a joke when it comes to portraying realistic homosexual relationships. It's not a terrible anime by any means (though certainly not great) but it's filled with overly dramatic and saccharine relationships and exists in an alternate reality where a significant portion of the student body is gay. Also worst girl wins.

Literally the only anime that come to mind are Utena and Aoi Hana. Both anime have a very legit take on queer relationships in general. Utena is more fantastical whereas Aoi Hana is more grounded. It's worth noting that Utena isn't strictly a yuri anime, but a very, very good watch in general.

There is also Sasameki Koto, though that only got 13 episodes and was a long running manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There is also Sashameki Koto, though that only got 13 episodes and was a long running manga.
Man, that shit is funny because everyone thought Sasameki Koto was a poor man's Aoi Hana at the time. If we only knew how each manga would end. lol

Branduil

I felt the end of the third novel and the epilogue tied up the loose ends well. Takeda didn't solve every problem in a positive way, which felt more natural for the story that was told. I teared at the epilogue. It was a touching scene that is only known for 4 lines because people ignore story.

The anime adaptation was for the first novel (and it gets credited as such in the credits). We're nearing the end of it with this concert. I think the amount of revenue that has come into KyoAni has likely clinched a sequel, but I can't say if it's a movie or a second season.

I assume we get Asuka's story at some point in the novels because the show has been teasing the "mystery" behind her pretty hard.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Man, that shit is funny because everyone thought Sasameki Koto was a poor man's Aoi Hana at the time. If we only knew how each manga would end. lol

Given what I have read about the manga, if you want realism in your yuri, this is the comic to read.

Jintor

Sasameki's manga is pretty good, I can't speak to its anime.

I wish Candy Boy was better but a) possible incest? and b) mostly subtext

I can't think of a serious look at lesbian relationships in anime. In manga there's a few here and there but nothing commercially successful I believe... Ebisu-san and Hotei-san? Still a bit overly shoujo imho. Husky and Medly is supposedly based on a true story, but I have my doubts, and it's still pretty shoujo. I've heard Kimocho no Katachi is okay. Plica is actually written by a lesbian author but it's a 4-koma slice of life. Stretch is subtext.

PK Gaming

There is also Sasameki Koto, though that only got 13 episodes and was a long running manga.

Oh damn, I can't believe I forgot about that one. It leans more towards comedy and silly antics, but it does a good job of portraying that suffocating feeling of having a crush in high school. Its got a lot of heart and the lead character is totally amazing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I suppose there is Oniisama e, though that ended up being more an exploration of the wide range of human sexuality and as good as that show was, it did use what in modern context would be viewed as yuri baiting tropes like situational sexuality. Still, I give that one more leeway since the manga was from the 1970s and was one of the literal groundbreakers for the entire genre.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sasameki's manga is pretty good, I can't speak to its anime.

I wish Candy Boy was better but a) possible incest? and b) mostly subtext

I can't think of a serious look at lesbian relationships in anime. In manga there's a few here and there but nothing commercially successful I believe... Ebisu-san and Hotei-san? Still a bit overly shoujo imho. Husky and Medly is supposedly based on a true story, but I have my doubts, and it's still pretty shoujo. I've heard Kimocho no Katachi is okay. Plica is actually written by a lesbian author but it's a 4-koma slice of life. Stretch is subtext.
Once you go manga, there's literally hundreds of choices. Especially if you count one shorts or short series.

Hell, there's literally a yuri manga about what it's like to be a yuri mangaka. lol

I suppose there is Oniisama e, though that ended up being more an exploration of the wide range of human sexuality and as good as that show was, it did use what in modern context would be viewed as yuri baiting tropes like situational sexuality. Still, I give that one more leeway since the manga was from the 1970s and was one of the literal groundbreakers for the entire genre.
I feel like that would count in the same way that Utena might count.

Nisekoi S2 - 12

Nisekoi%20S2%20-%2012.jpg

The best girl !! Do something about it raku !

The deluded people thinking onodera has even a slight of a chance against the TSUNDERE GODESS chitoge can't explain how gret this season was , because it focused on the BEST GIRL , even when she was having the silliest problems.

Nisekoi best characters :
1) chitoge
2) chitoge mom
3) Haru
4) Ruri

^^ accept the truth ! Open your eyes !

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Once you go manga, there's literally hundreds of choices. Especially if you count one shorts or short series.

Hell, there's literally a yuri manga about what it's like to be a yuri mangaka. lol

I feel like that would count in the same way that Utena might count.

Indeed, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Utena was using Oniisama as a source of influene along with fellow yuri genre protoform member The Rose of Versailles.

I assume we get Asuka's story at some point in the novels because the show has been teasing the "mystery" behind her pretty hard.

It just appears as though she's actually very competitive or at least playing her instrument is her nr1 priority. She appears to be putting up an overly nice facade in order to get everything running, like 'recruiting' enough members for the band/orchestra and getting them up to speed.

Am curious about her background story.

Ah damn, not gonna watch it then.

PK Gaming said:

Have seen Utena and it's pretty good, though I was more looking for a more direct and grounded portrayal. So I'll give Aoi Hana a try. J.C. Staff though...other than Soma I don't think highly of them. But well let's see.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
DanMachi - 13
Wow! Did the production literally run out of money while making this episode? I never seen a series shit the bed in animation quality this sharply.

Jintor

I was thinking specifically about longform series. What's the yuri mangaka one?

Also not too much translated, though seems like Yen/Seven Seas are picking up the pace

Cornbread78

I do feel like this episode foreshadowed
a Yui ending. The penguin scene where Yukino leaves the two alone, her speech about the lonely fish being her, and Hachiman remembering the fireworks he saw with Yui. At the very least, he has more feelings for Yui than we initially thought.

The Hayama comparison is pretty spot on as well.

But, immediately after he read to sign about mates, he ran off to find Yuki, so..

Still pissed..

Arcadius

Banned
Extollere would be so proud.
Vividred is quite enjoyable. It felt a like like Nanoha sometimes during battles and transformation and the animation was pretty good. Great character designs and fun times all around. I miss it.
It also only came out on DVD. What the hell Aniplex?

Vividred Operation has a limited Blu Ray collection with 2 episodes per volume and each volume running towards $60-80. No offense, but that's just ridiculous and so stupid, because the Blu Ray actually features upgraded animation scenes, better perspective on scenes, nudity with breasts and nipples and great ass shots and a lot of skin being shown. I hear Aniplex likes to do that, make Blu Rays cost an insane amount of money and it pisses me off to no end...... I won't say any more, but try watching the BR is possible.

Vividred operation was REALLy enjoyable to me..it was this weird mix of aerial fights, transformations, girls kissing , shipping , friendship and little epicness.
It was a show that knew what it wanted to be , wasn't shamed by it and they just did it.
The grandfather being stuck into a ferret and havbing his real body frozen was brillant. The fact that he didn't care because it was the best way to be close to his grand daughter was also nice.
Vivid-yellow reminded me SO MUCH of the vector canon in ZOE2.

BUt yeah , i liked the designs , like the system. Vividred operation was much enjoyable.
I like it better than strike sitches.

Seconded.. WHAT THE HELL ?
Seriously !!!

I agree with you so much. When they first showed the docking scene, I really thought it was going to be kissing on the lips, would have made Vividred Operation just even better and I already consider it a top favorite, seriously. All the Vivid transformations, especially yellow, I was jumping up and down on my chair squeeing in delight. I love love love it, seriously, who ever recommended this (Probably Cajun), thank you sooooo much, it's an all time favorite.

Defuser

DanMachi - 13
Wow! Did the production literally run out of money while making this episode? I never seen a series shit the bed in animation quality this sharply.

They have to cram and cut alot of material....besides you know it's true all the budget went to the naked girl bodies in the previous episode.

Baalzebup

I was thinking specifically about longform series. What's the yuri mangaka one?

Also not too much translated, though seems like Yen/Seven Seas are picking up the pace

Where would you draw a line on what counts as long form? I've bought a number of manga series over time and I've fit one Yuri series to the mix as well, Girl Friends by Morigana Milk. It seems more believable than your average Yuri due to a rather slow pace of the romantic buildup, some genuine gay confusion due to budding new feelings and the generally somewhat fumbling relationship you'd expect from teenagers.

Published in English by Seven Seas :p

Jintor

I love Girl Friends. Classic of the genre. It's definitely long form, they just shoved it into two volumes for the English release b/cos of selling realities

What's that manga the Stretch guy was doing before he got busted for tracing? Tracing aside it was pretty good.

Danmachi - 13

Bell-kun is a hero ... and heroes are OP.

I guess i can accept this explanation ... Wait does that mean that he received 2 blessings ? zeus and hestia ? ROFL

Anyway , this episode freaking DELIVERED .. what better way to end a season than an all out battle against a boss ? what a nasty boss fight , trully worth of this party.

WHAT A PARTY
Elf -chan is badass ? THAT SAMURAI WITH THE GRAVITY MAGIC WAS FREAKING EPIC ..and so was everything else. trully , i have no complains ... this is basicly what should a boss raid feel like , unless i'm watching log horizon ( log horizon is cool and unmatched , but danmachi nailed it perfectly in another way.)
Maybe the animation was stiff , maybe .. i don't care much because the pacing of this episode was top notch... if it was, it was , IMO cleverly hidden or in a way that wasn't obvious..

Danmachi at least knows how to focus on something to make it epic and imo , that's what matters.

Anyway , bell-kun is probably going for the harem route subconsciously , but at least his main goal ( ainz ) is the best choice he could have made , way to go , hero , another right step done.

In the end , danmachi is a solid anime , with a good premise , solid action at the right times , good production values , good music and excellent characters. This is one anime to recommand .

Now, i guess it's time to go on amazon.jp and buy the rest of the books.

Cornbread78

Excluding White Album, which is based on a VN, these anime are based on currently running (or were at the time the anime was runing) LNs. You might want to stick with original anime or anime based on completed material like Jojo. Not sure why White Album had an open ending though. VNs are usually complete.

Yeah, White Album 2 just ended after a scene they teased more obtusely. Someone mentioned it here that the story was continured in the novel. Pet Sakura was just a shameless ending at the start of a brand new arc with no ending at all..

There are a ton more examples too.

SNAFU pissed me off because it was literally stopped in the middle of a tense scene.

Uugghh.

cj_iwakura

There was Kannazuki no Miko, but that show seems to get a little worse each time I rewatch it. It has its moments, though.
and a happy ending, shockingly.

Sterok

Re-Kan 13

Amusement park, memory, annoying guys, and sleepover. Yup, this is Re-Kan. Odd way to end it compared to last episode, but whatever.

If you asked me to show you a perfectly adequate anime, this would be it. It has some good parts, but nothing that you must see. It has flaws, but nothing is deal breaking. It just keeps on going. Sometimes it tries to be funny and usually fails. Other times it goes for drama, and it works a little better. A perfectly average show.

I'm reminded why I go through the trouble of catching up with the thread when I stumble on something like this (or a really well written review for an episode/series).

Anyway, Soma - 1

I had a bit of an idea of what I was getting into when I popped in the first episode but I genuinely wasn't expecting this to be anywhere near as entertaining as it was. Deliciously absurd? It's one of those things where the concept is just so out there but played completely straight by the characters actually living in the world that I love. Everything from the protagonist being the one to handle the businesswoman when she first enters the store instead of the father and the actual progression of events from the actual cooking battle to showing up at the "elite cooking school" just put a smile on my face. It's Food Lewd and if the first episode is any indication of what I'm for for the rest of the series I think I'll enjoy this one.

Back to sifting through 100+ pages of AnimeGAF ...

Grzi

DanMachi - 13

Yeah, it was pretty bad, to the point it ruined the overall impression of the show for me. Let's be honest, incredibly consistent high production values were the main selling point of the show, and they managed to keep it up for 11.5 episodes, but it all went downhill in the second half of episode 12. I hoped they were saving the budget for a visually impressive finale, but I guess I was wrong. Too bad. Oh, well, it was still a fun show.

Arcadius

Banned
I'm reminded why I go through the trouble of catching up with the thread when I stumble on something like this (or a really well written review for an episode/series).

Anyway, Soma - 1

I had a bit of an idea of what I was getting into when I popped in the first episode but I genuinely wasn't expecting this to be anywhere near as entertaining as it was. Deliciously absurd? It's one of those things where the concept is just so out there but played completely straight by the characters actually living in the world that I love. Everything from the protagonist being the one to handle the businesswoman when she first enters the store instead of the father and the actual progression of events from the actual cooking battle to showing up at the "elite cooking school" just put a smile on my face. It's Food Lewd and if the first episode is any indication of what I'm for for the rest of the series I think I'll enjoy this one.

Back to sifting through 100+ pages of AnimeGAF ...

Wow 100+ pages, that's a lot of reading and sifting!!! Best of luck.

Yeah, White Album 2 just ended after a scene they teased more obtusely. Someone mentioned it here that the story was continured in the novel.

It continues after a time skip in a different part of the visual novel. White Album 2 ended as well as one could have expected given that they were never going to have time to adapt the closing chapter.

Midonin

OreGairu Too 13

I wasn't that fond of the first season - seeing everyone glorify someone who doesn't know how animals work or how being nice works, and only seemed to make things worse and put everyone down, just confused me. Especially with the Batman comparisons. Made me question the whole idea of using Batman as a point of comparison. Thankfully, S2 did improve my opinion of Hachiman a bit, but that he was still being lionized before the episode 8 moment is a little weird. I get that people can relate to him, but to put him on a pedestal? And for as much as shipping takes over things in other shows, a lot of the board discussion for this show seemed to be almost entirely shipping. I liked the second season more than the first (post episode 8, anyway), and Yui remains my favorite because she at least tries to be optimistic. I think in the end, it's going to be one of those shows that I get why other people like it, but I don't think it's for me.

Re-Kan! 13

It's clear this was chosen to be animated, to some degree, to capitalize on the huge youkai boom that they're experiencing via Watch, and I'm okay with that. It was a pleasant show, and quite a few of the episodes knew how to hit the emotional beats in a really touching way, especially the one with Hibiki's mom. Nothing spectacular, but still really enjoyable, as Manga Time series tend to be.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 31

What a change friendship all around retributionshipping to dive deeper into what drives Jack and then Yusei and Crow having a reunion tag team. Seems like a good break before getting back to the Dark Signers.

Carly seems like Jack may have to save her for a future plot point.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
unlike Korra, Eupho is decent enough that there's still good discussion to be had, once you get past the blockade of frothing shippers

Subpar seasons aside, Korra was legit. Making dreams come true!

Welcome to the world of girl love! It's slippery when wet!

Wow.

Shipping is how the world is going to burn.

Then let it burn, and let the ashes scatter in the wind.

Lol. SDBurton loooooves that show

I honestly do like it a lot, just wished
my girl Yaya ended up with her love of her life. Hurts just thinking about it. :(

cajunator

Banned
Naruro's manga ended late last year, and their was a melt down when it was officially unveiled in the final chapter (a flash forward) that Naruto married Hinata and had 2 kids while Sakura married Sasuke and had *1 kid. The naruto manga thread on gaf got so toxic that mods had to lock it and other communities also has massice melt downs especially the narusaku fan board :p

Course skip to today and the manga is now new a gaiden story arc with no sign of ending soon so I guess you can say Naruto just took an extended break.

That's good to know, I don't particularly care about Euphonium at all (not my kind of show) I was just checking to see if it was adapted from something (it is) and if it was ongoing (which wikipedia says it is).

lol I like that kind of ending.
Hinata was better. Sakura a shit.

Vividred operation was REALLy enjoyable to me..it was this weird mix of aerial fights, transformations, girls kissing , shipping , friendship and little epicness.
It was a show that knew what it wanted to be , wasn't shamed by it and they just did it.
The grandfather being stuck into a ferret and havbing his real body frozen was brillant. The fact that he didn't care because it was the best way to be close to his grand daughter was also nice.
Vivid-yellow reminded me SO MUCH of the vector canon in ZOE2.

BUt yeah , i liked the designs , like the system. Vividred operation was much enjoyable.
I like it better than strike sitches.

Seconded.. WHAT THE HELL ?
Seriously !!!

Yeah aniplex is silly with its DVD hangups. It wont do bluray except after a certain time and only if they believe they can make good money from it.

------------

------------
Can't believe none of you recognised that reference. i'm now disapointed

Damn right , she is one of the best character of this franchise.
Come on guys , ignore the fact that they tried to make a danganronpa anime and just go play the damn games. you probably won't regret it.
Your only regret will be the wait for the third game !

BUSTED !!
Damn i know i didn't finish this show but that was because despite the yuri ( witch i love watching) , i got freaking lost by all those flashback, sub plots , betrayal , SUDDEN TWISTS..
Argh i'll finish it this week-end i guess.

Goddamn , sorry , yuri kuma arashi , i've got re-kan to finish first. Got to enjoy some delicious frienship.

Sorry Ive never played Danganronpa, and especially not the one with Ibuki. I know her from fanart mainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom