• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plastic Memories 02-04

Oh come on, 2 episodes without tearing up then 04 hit and to top it off it ended as
a bad ending with the fake retrieval team.
Not cool at all.

cajunator

Banned
Hey I haven't posted here in a while! I'm done with school now so I'll get to suffer thr summer season with y'all

Anyway:

Kill La Kill 20

I'm not a Kill La Kill fan but if I was this would be the point where I'll question why I keep watching, and its all because of Ryuko. Those edits that make her into Shadow the Hedgehog are 100% accurate. Alao Ragyo is not allowed within 100 feet of a school.

Michiko and Hachin 02

I really love the whole dynamic between Hana and Michiko. It's cute without feeling out of place with the whole tone of the show. The rest of the show has a great vibe too. Itsw like Black Lagoon crossed with Lupin III, so you have these real hardassed characters without the whole world being soulcrushingly nihilistic, so the show is allowed to actually be fun. Love the whole color palette and music as well. It's a shame this didn't do better in Japan.

Sword Art Online II 13

Speaking of soul crushing nihilism, the only thing I have to say about this is why.

Why do Asuna and Yui feel the touch of Kirito's waifu and a cellphone is a better substitute for dehydration than and IV?

Why does Kirito fight as if his handgun actually substitutes as a longsword?

Why does Sinon only get the ability to noscope when it's to help with Kirito's motivation and not her own?

Why does everybody cheer when they see what's basically collusion end the big tournament?

Why did the admins grant the both of them the winner spot when they saw that they were colluding with eachother?

Why does the show act like Sinon's IRL friend being Deathgun is a big reveal when they basically confirmed it in his first appearance?

Why does the show constantly use a villain sexually assaulting the heroine to show that he's a villain?

Why does this show love almost getting the females raped period?

Why does the attempted rape have to last so damn long?

Why does Sinon, after having an internal realization with her game Avatar, still end up having to be rescued by Kirito?

Why was anime such a mistake and why is it nothing but trash?

Because the author doesnt know how to write a story

If she did Kirito wouldn't have been able to swoop in and save the day.

She should have kicked his ass too ._.

One Piece 699

Y'know there's something about the anime that makes the already iffy character designs stand out a lot more, especially in this arc with some real weak ones like Trebol and Machvise.

I wonder if they will do anything special for episode 700. This episode actually looked kinda good, someone really loves to draw Doflamingo's expressions!

I said this when the manga chapter came out but if this is supposed to make us feel bad for Doflamingo then lol. I don't think it is though. Doffy is a real monster.

Mandelbo

Dirty Pair 09

...a wild west planet? Sure, I can go along with that. The failures of the Dirty Pair never cease to amaze - this time, they blew up a whole planet by accident, potentially killing hundreds of thousands of people. But at least the problem of the newstone supply got fixed! I mean, if there's none left for people to fight over and the groups trying to take it were eradicated, I guess it all worked out fine!

DEATH™

Amagi Brilliant Park OVA

Sento in Elementario costumes? Wrestling cage match in front of children? AV girl in wrestling outfit? Bando-chan Blading? And Sento finally making a move? This is awesome!

This is much needed after Plastic Memories... :(

Moaradin

Punchline END

I wasn't really expecting much to begin with but wow that was lame. Been a while since I've seen such an awful main antagonist.

Plastic Memories END

IrEuTzc.jpg

Best scene
Solid ending, the
whole amusement park scene was super sweet

While I did like the conclusion I felt that there was a lot of lost potential in this show.

First of all, I did really enjoy Isla and Tsukasa's relationship since it was super sweet. I also liked how they portrayed Tsukasa's struggle with Isla having to leave him throughout the show. It felt realistic.

The biggest problem of this show however was everything else. I don't even get why they decided to make Isla a robot. I think I would've liked this show more if it had:

• 6 episodes with a heavier focus on Tsukasa and Isla.

• More exploration of how Giftia's work in society

• A more relatable setting. Maybe Isla could have a terminal illness or something.

• A second plotline with someone else dealing with losing his giftia. Maybe they could've used that thing where Giftia's break if they aren't retrieved in time.

All in all. Everything related to Tsukasa and Isla was good in this show. Everything else, i.e. (almost) all the other characters wasn't. Since the main goal of the show was executed so well I can't really complain though.

The epilogue was also weak.
Was it Isla? that would make sense in a way but it would also be pretty stupid.

Hellraider

Eh, Fate/Zero is better than Fate/Stay Night, but it still suffers from an extreme case of taking itself way too seriously for the story it's telling.

I don't understand this. A fucking battle royale to the death were the winner gets any wish they want is fucking serious. The grimdark atmosphere that fate zero has fits perfectly to what is actually happening.

Then you have that piece of shit that UBW is were while people could die any moment you spend time waifu-ing saber, eating breakfast with childhood friends and having your dumb teacher being dumb as a pillow and pretty much role playing K-on anytime they could. Not to mention the "although i could kill you right now I won't because we have a second season to air and you will probably kill me first then".

I don't hate UBW that much, but Zero was my first introduction to the series and god what a disappointment UBW was.

Mandelbo

Plastic Memories END

Solid ending, the
whole amusement park scene was super sweet

While I did like the conclusion I felt that there was a lot of lost potential in this show.

First of all, I did really enjoy Isla and Tsukasa's relationship since it was super sweet. I also liked how they portrayed Tsukasa's struggle with Isla having to leave him. It felt realistic.

The biggest problem of this show however was everything else. I don't even get why they decided to make Isla a robot. I think I would've liked this show more if it was either was/had:

• 6 episodes with a heavier focus on Tsukasa and Isla.

• More exploration of how Giftia's work in society

• A more relatable setting. Maybe Isla could have a terminal illness or something.

• A second plotline with someone else dealing with losing his giftia. Maybe they could've used that thing where Giftia's break if they aren't retrieved in time.

All in all. Everything related to Tsukasa and Isla was good in this show. Everything else, i.e. (almost) all the other characters wasn't. Since the main goal of the show was executed so well I can't really complain though.

The epilogue was also weak.
Was it Isla? that would make sense in a way but it would also be pretty stupid.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't quite agree with all of your points. With regards to your criticism:

-6 episodes with a heavier focus on Tsukasa and Isla.

I go along with this - my favourite parts of the show were the sections where they focused on the relationship between the two of them. In a sense, you could split the show into two halves, the first being being everything prior to episode 6, with the greater focus on the terminal service and the people they have to serve, and everything post episode 6, where Isla and Tsukasa's relationship took center stage. While I never felt that there was any content here that was truly unnecessary, I do feel that the story would have been better had it maintained the personal and intimate nature of the second half the whole way through.

-More exploration of how Giftia's work in society

Eh, I get this complaint but I also don't think this is ever what the show was supposed to be about. The show isn't about the Giftias themselves, it's about the inevitability of losing them and the way this impacts the people closest to them, how they deal with the loss. The Giftias are essentially just people with a timed lifespan, which in a way means that this...

-A more relatable setting. Maybe Isla could have a terminal illness or something.

...is basically what they did anyway, except the terminal illness here is simply being a Giftia. I made a similar comparison a few days ago, in fact. The show could easily have still worked had it been more grounded in reality rather than being sci-fi. If you switched out the terminal service for a hospital, turned the workers into doctors dealing with people on their deathbed, and had Isla be Tsukasa's daughter or something (obviously modifying the romance aspect in the process,) you'd have more or less the same show. I don't think that would have effected my enjoyment of the series at all, but I'd definitely want to see a show that dealt with similar themes in this setting.

-A second plotline with someone else dealing with losing his giftia. Maybe they could've used that thing where Giftia's break if they aren't retrieved in time.

They already more or less did this with the Marcia subplot. I don't think that there would have been much point in having another subplot that did essentially the same thing - what new things would it have shown us? We already know about Wanderers from Marcia and Michiru's father, so I don't think we would've learnt anything we didn't already know from earlier.

I don't think, in the epilogue, that the new partner is a
reformatted Isla
- that would be incredibly cruel of Tsukasa's colleagues because it'd mean they would essentially be forcing him to go through all the pain he went through with
Isla's death.
I'm hoping they're not gonna use the tease of a new partner as an excuse to make a second season. The ending they have now is perfectly fine!

-A second plotline with someone else dealing with losing his giftia. Maybe they could've used that thing where Giftia's break if they aren't retrieved in time.

They already more or less did this with the Marcia subplot. I don't think that there would have been much point in having another subplot that did essentially the same thing - what new things would it have shown us? We already know about Wanderers from Marcia and Michiru's father, so I don't think we would've learnt anything we didn't already know from earlier.

I've been thinking about this one. What about a short spinoff where a mother can't handle with losing his Gifta child and flees from society and sees that her child detoriates slowly, losing his "humanity" day by day. I think there is a lot of material here that could be super interesting if it was a selfcontained thing in it's own. I felt that the two episodes didn't really do it justice. Especially when you consider that the fact that there is a state after "death" is the only thing that makes a Giftia unique compared to a normal person.

In conclusion, Plastic Memories is a solid show but it could've been a lot better if it had a stronger direction. The SoL bits felt like a lot of wasted time.

I really like the premise of shows like Plastic Memories and I'll definitely watch any other show with the same setting. The thing is that I wouldn't consider Plastic Memories as a masterpiece of the genre which is a shame since it had the potential. That
Ferris wheel
scene was just so good. I fully believe that the animators could make something really special of they had another go at it.

Hiroko Kazui's personal site has leaked that Owarimonogatari (part of the Monogatari Final Season) is in production to be aired this year.

Look for an announcement a week from Tuesday on Tanabata.

Mandelbo

I've been thinking about this one. What about a short spinoff where a mother can't handle with losing his Gifta child and flees from society and sees that her child detoriates slowly, losing his "humanity" day by day. I think there is a lot of material here that could be super interesting if it was a selfcontained thing in it's own. I felt that the two episodes didn't really do it justice. Especially when you consider that the fact that there is a state after "death" is the only thing that makes a Giftia unique compared to a normal person.

Yeah, that could be quite interesting. If they modified the concept of Wanderers themselves so that they aren't just killing machines, it could call into question the moral implications of denying someone death if simply being alive is painful for them. Are they acting out of selfishness? Do they truly love their Giftia if they're willingly causing them suffering? That could be great, especially if it focused solely on their relationship and the effects the deterioration has on it.

Defuser

Plastic Memories final

I nearly shed a tear....I'm a monster.

Anyway, I fail to see how the mystery robot in the end is
Isla in any form
. Tsukasa didn't show any kind of reaction when introduced so it has to be somebody new.

I just realized this show is quite a rare genre to come by nowadays since majority of the shows is either action,moeblob or harem.

Good morning friends. After a good night of sleep and seeing everyone's impressions I guess it's kinda unanimous, Plastic Memories was one of this season's best stuff. Funny how I said I wanted to wait for the last episodes to rank this season's Anime, I feel like every show I've watched gained itself a bunch of points with the ending. Plastic Memories was solid all throughout but the ending was handled so well. I will have to reevaluate my standings for the season again this coming Tuesday, and settle for an AOTS too.

Razmos

Samurai Flamenco FINAL:
tumblr_lthg6vjPS21ql141xo1_400.gif

Wait, did the ship just become canon?
07c4d34855081bef53150fa29833ab21.png

e384900a11ef9ae366c1b79a055bfd2c.png

9cb9db02c90f16307065d2c88ba37891.png

7bdb6113f8c69b444731f2cbfadd3323.png

555ed7b08b51a5ae6feeec61a58f014d.png

Literally the gayest ending to an anime I have yet to witness. I seriously could have watched this entire show just for the relationship between these two. (and pretty much did during some of the sillier parts)

Only thing that would have made this better is if they had kissed, but I'll take what I can get.
I looked it up online and apparently they start living together and DO get married at some point? Not sure how canon that is but I don't care.

I loved this show, the art was consistently great, the plot was delightfully crazy, the soundtrack was fantastic, the characters were all amazing and literally the 3 main characters all ended up in gay relationships by the end, haha.

Is Euphonium going to be 13 or 14 episodes? I'm getting mixed messages with some people saying that there are going to be 14 episodes because of the Blu-Ray. I'm not sure how it all works.

I'm not talking about that special OVA btw. Just the main story.

Yeah, that could be quite interesting. If they modified the concept of Wanderers themselves so that they aren't just killing machines, it could call into question the moral implications of denying someone death if simply being alive is painful for them. Are they acting out of selfishness? Do they truly love their Giftia if they're willingly causing them suffering? That could be great, especially if it focused solely on their relationship and the effects the deterioration has on it.

That would be awesome. I hope that someone steps up in the future to make a show like that.

Is Euphonium going to be 13 or 14 episodes? I'm getting mixed messages with some people saying that there are going to be 14 episodes because of the Blu-Ray. I'm not sure how it all works.

I'm not talking about that special OVA btw. Just the main story.

Pony Canyon bought 13 timeslots, so the final broadcast/main episode will air on Tuesday. An additional episode will be included on the final Blu-ray that is not 100% necessary to watch in the story, but will typically be a fun viewing. (For reference, Chu2koi's OVA had a Christmas get-together, Kyoukai's was a backstory prologue, Chu2Ren's was another humorous episode, and Free ES's was a joint-school water gun game).

phaze

Hiroko Kazui's personal site has leaked that Owarimonogatari (part of the Monogatari Final Season) is in production to be aired this year.

Yay

The Tatami Galaxy 08

MCxOzu OTP. They are truly connected by the black thread of fate. I've even less idea of where all this is going now but the journey itself is delightful.

Pony Canyon bought 13 timeslots, so the final broadcast/main episode will air on Tuesday. An additional episode will be included on the final Blu-ray that is not 100% necessary to watch in the story, but will typically be a fun viewing. (For reference, Chu2koi's OVA had a Christmas get-together, Kyoukai's was a backstory prologue, Chu2Ren's was another humorous episode, and Free ES's was a joint-school water gun game).

Thanks. Always nice to see someone who knows his stuff. So the last Blu-ray volume is just going to be episode 13 and the OVA? I've heard that every Blu-ray has 2 episodes.

Edit: Could you give me a source which shows how many timeslots they bought? I kinda want to show it to others.

Thanks. Always nice to see someone who knows his stuff. So the last Blu-ray volume is just going to be episode 13 and the OVA? I've heard that every Blu-ray has 2 episodes.

Edit: Could you give me a source which shows how many timeslots they bought? I kinda want to show it to others.

Yes for both of those statements. Usually 1-cour productions sell volumes with 2 episodes (6 volumes for 12 episodes) on them and 2-cour production sell volumes with 3 volumes (8 volumes for 24 episodes) on them. This is why we're seeing more 1-cour productions (more revenue per episode produced) and split-cour productions (12 volumes instead of 8). It's industry standard now (unless you're Aniplex/Kadokawa who'll put out 10/11/12/13 volumes for 2-cour productions).

For example, Euphonium has:
V1: eps 1-2
V2: eps 3-4
V3: eps 5-6
V4: eps 7-8
V5: eps 9-10
V6: eps 11-12
V7: eps 13-14 (14 being an OVA)

The source is TV listings showing this episode is the final episode like Tokyo MX. Scroll down to 24:30 and you'll see 終, saying it's done. The sponsor clips (that are cut out of fansubs/simulcast streams) show the sponsors of the timeslot (Pony Canyon, Kyoto Animation, Lantis).

Knight of Sidonia S2 End

I wonder if that ending montage was supposed to be an ending or whether we'll get another season of space harem adventures.

Thoraxes

Hell yeah.

Though, RIP Kizu lol. That wait is going to be forever. The bandaid covering it up I saw on Twitter is funny.

phaze

The Tatami Galaxy 09

This was an actually immensely satisfying
break out from the time loop. (At least it seems to be that given no rewind clock at the end.) Watch and learn Endless Eight.

The Tatami Galaxy 09

This was an actually immensely satisfying
break out from the time loop. (At least it seems to be that given no rewind clock at the end.) Watch and learn Endless Eight.

I'm envious. I would like to experience Tatami Galaxy again as if it was the first time!

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 21

Wonderful episode all around. The battles were dynamic and exciting, and the redemption we've all been waiting for was handled with tact. Now it's all up to where Twilight goes from here, and how she makes amends with what she's been doing.

Cornbread78

Is this th e prequel with Shinobu Oshino and Araragi exclusively?
Owarimonogatari? If it includes all three Owarimonogatari novels? And what happened with Koyomimonogatari?

What is the order with Koyo as well?

e_i

I swear, Testament of a New Sister Devil is just an experiment on how far they can push the ecchi factor.

Ah, fuck it, it's hentai with a plot.

So graduation into college?

More Senjougahara and Araragi thehn?

Wait, he was already there during that final arc? Soo confusing. .

Koyomi, Tsubasa, and Hitagi were in their final year of high school in Bake. The events of Kizu, Neko Black, Bake, and Nise go to the end of August. Neko White, Oni, Otori, Kabuki, and Koi take place from August to February of that year. Tsukimonogatari also takes place in February. Owari takes place in March (with one novel of the three being a prologue flashback). Hanamonogatari takes place in April.

Cornbread78

Koyomi, Tsubasa, and Hitagi were in their final year of high school in Bake. The events of Kizu, Neko Black, Bake, and Nise go to the end of August. Neko White, Oni, Otori, Kabuki, and Koi take place from August to February of that year. Tsukimonogatari also takes place in February. Owari takes place in March (with one novel of the three being a prologue flashback). Hanamonogatari takes place in April.

Ok, so that's all still pre grad, but that arc with Suga, Araragi is in college, she is in her Sr. year, so that takes place later..

The last scene with Senjougahara was
Valentines Day when she pins him down for ya know, stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Please just give me Kizu.

I feel like a FFVs/15 fan.

Droplet

Samurai Flamenco FINAL:

Wait, did the ship just become canon?

DTL was right~

One of my favorite things about Samurai Flamenco is that following Guillotine Gorilla, the next "what the fuck?" moment actually brings the series back to being grounded. Then that finale happens and it manages to still give the viewer that reaction without being totally crazy.

Razmos

DTL was right~

One of my favorite things about Samurai Flamenco is that following Guillotine Gorilla, the next "what the fuck?" moment actually brings the series back to being grounded. Then that finale happens and it manages to still give the viewer that reaction without being totally crazy.
Yeah I really appreciated how it went full circle and ended in a more grounded, character focused way, the exact way the show started.

All the madness in between seems like filler compared to the start and the end, and I think it was intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom