• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you severely overestimate how many people watch mecha in here

From the first and only episode I watched it felt like a Psycho Pass situation where you need to accept something really stupid for the whole plot to work to begin with and I don't really like omg so emotional the feels shows to begin with so I never continued

Also, the fact that the characters work for a company that sells fully-sentient human beings to people is just.............what

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As I said, all Euphonium does is sit characters down to practice when things don't go their way only for them to magically emerge a better player the next day.
This literally does not happen. Why would you lie about anime on the internet? The character arcs in Euph are almost always: I tried and I wasn't good enough.

Tuck

Samurai Flamenco FINAL:
tumblr_lthg6vjPS21ql141xo1_400.gif

Wait, did the ship just become canon?

Oh its canon alright #TruthFact

VRMN

Also, the fact that the characters work for a company that sells fully-sentient human beings to people is just.............what

It is something I wish the plot had explored a bit, but it became pretty clear the writers wanted to ask the question Tsukasa asked in the final moments and then worked backwards from there. Sentient AI becoming rampant is kind of a trope, though, so how a society that has created such AI handles that problem is a premise I can at least deal with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It is something I wish the plot had explored a bit, but it became pretty clear the writers wanted to ask the question Tsukasa asked in the final moments and then worked backwards from there. Sentient AI becoming rampant is kind of a trope, though, so how a society that has created such AI handles that problem is a premise I can at least deal with.

I'm on episode 10 and there are a ton of things that aren't really explained which just boggle my mind.

Eureka Seven is a fantastic show.

I'm trying to keep the boat floating after Cross Ange blew a big hole in it!

Cross Ange was probably the best mecha show last year tbh not counting the second half of GBF

Like it's competition was Aldnoah, Try and G Reco and probably some other stuff I forgot and I sure as shit enjoyed Cross Ange more then those

Angry Grimace

The last show I watched that had giant robots in it was seriously Code Geass, which barely had giant robots in it.

I wish I had been posting on GAF when THAT show was airing.
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

Yeah, the series could have benefited from world building a bit more. They never really justified the Giftias' existence, which baffles me.

I mean, some of them I see why they don't, but having the ability to make indistinguishable from human robots has a lot of sinister applications.

I don't know, I just feel like the idea of limited-lifespan robots with true feelings and emotions would be illegal as fuck and there are tremendously deeper implications than waifubots and surrogate children-bots (which are all that we're shown).

Yes, child prodigies that struggle to make music, unlike Euphonium's characters! Failures and dropouts are a possible result of struggle but tell us nothing about the person or the struggle itself. As I said, all Euphonium does is sit characters down to practice when things don't go their way only for them to magically emerge a better player the next day. There is much more to improving than that. I feel Shigatsu did a much better job at showing exactly that.

If what you mean is that Euphonium fails to portray the struggle of professional(or pro-minded) musicians--and if so I apologize for my earlier comment--, I don't understand why you're making the critique in the first place.

The only person in the show in the position to "interpret" or "create" music in the way that the soloists in Shigatsu do is Taki-sensei. Everyone else is working towards creating his vision and not the other way around. It feels like this is an apples and oranges comparison--why does Euphonium need to be about literally creating one's own music?

And practice as portrayed in this show is not something that is demonstrated as such an easy hurdle to overcome -- in Euphonium it is something the characters undertake without any real form of instant gratification, outside of hollow compliments from their peers. Not one character has been able to 'go off and practice' and suddenly walk away with tangible results. They often fail, in large part because they didn't dedicate enough time or their willpower was lax in the past. In the case of the latest episode, we have someone who has been consistent and dedicated at practice for years encounter a wall, that she failed to surmount despite giving her 100%. Where is this 'magic' you're talking about?

Better yet...guys, am I the only one that feels like there are some yuri undertones in Hibike! Euphonium? Let's discuss!

Skd3Sb0.gif

Cornbread78

Yeah, the series could have benefited from world building a bit more. They never really justified the Giftias' existence, which baffles me.

I'm on episode 10 and there are a ton of things that aren't really explained which just boggle my mind.

I believe that once they set the ground rules for the world, they set out to have you just focus on Isla and Tsukasa. I accepted that and got caught up in their story, so the lack of an overall world being explained didn't bother me too much.

Cornbread78

I mean, some of them I see why they don't, but having the ability to make indistinguishable from human robots has a lot of sinister applications.

I don't know, I just feel like the idea of limited-lifespan robots with true feelings and emotions would be illegal as fuck and there are tremendously deeper implications than waifubots and surrogate children-bots (which are all that we're shown).

Maybe the Michiru manga will go deeper into society and the foundation of Giftias.

PK Gaming

I still haven't watched the second season of SNAFU (though I plan to) but it sounds like
Hachiman gets involved in a love triangle of sorts? I hope that's not the case, considering the original season was good at avoiding that. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of Yukino, Yui and a best girl (who's apparently named Iroha) vying for him.

I've been out of the anime game for a very very long time, figured I'd ask it here.

What's the best way to watch Escaflowne these days?

Everything on Amazon is super expensive, but I'm hearing rumors of a Funimation re-release?

I still haven't watched the second season of SNAFU (though I plan to) but it sounds like
Hachiman gets involved in a love triangle of sorts? I hope that's not the case, considering the original season was good at avoiding that. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of Yukino, Yui and a best girl (who's apparently named Iroha) vying for him.

Lol.

If you think that a LN about a highschool boy inexplicably sorrounded by girls is above going the easy romance/harem route... I don't know what to say.

Angry Grimace

Is this a question lol

I've been out of the anime game for a very very long time, figured I'd ask it here.

What's the best way to watch Escaflowne these days?

Everything on Amazon is super expensive, but I'm hearing rumors of a Funimation re-release?

Funimation has re-licensed it from Sunrise, but Sunrise is being incredibly slow in providing materials to Funimation/Sentai for their re-licenses. Obviously the TRSI distribution provides them the most direct revenue, so they've focused on that internationally for now.

Funi does have plans to release it on Blu-ray, but who knows when it'll get re-released. The UK publisher/distributor All the Anime/Anime Limited has plans to release it later this year, but their packaging quality control is very poor and the disc is likely to be locked to region B.

Ascheroth

Can we stop talking about Fate stuff?

Let's talk about cool things instead. Like G Gundam. Or TTGL. Or Shin Mazinger Z. Or Gundam Build Fighters S1.

Please?

Question about G Gundam, since it's on my watchlist since watching Build Fighters: Can I just jump in right away or should I watch some other Gundam shows before for maximum enjoyment?
I've watched SEED, Build Fighters S1 and S2 and the original Mobile Suit Gundam so far.

Oh, and I've also watched TTGL, Eureka Seven, Gunbuster, Diebuster and some other mecha shows, you aren't alone here xD

Narag

Man, I just haven't been able to make any time to watch anime in the last two weeks. I'm behind on everything.

Aside from Baby Steps which I just got caught up on. That show always gets me so pumped after watching it.

Hopefully I can get caught up on Euphonium some time this week.

You'll have Summer to get caught up on everything you're behind on now, no worries!

Question about G Gundam, since it's on my watchlist since watching Build Fighters: Can I just jump in right away or should I watch some other Gundam shows before for maximum enjoyment?

Jump in, it's referenced more in other Gundam works than it references anything itself.

I've watched SEED, Build Fighters S1 and S2 and the original Mobile Suit Gundam so far.

Oh, and I've also watched TTGL, Eureka Seven, Gunbuster, Diebuster and some other mecha shows, you aren't alone here xD

Naw G Gundam is completely stand alone

You can definetly get maximum enjoyment out of G Gundam without having seen many Gundam shows prior.

PK Gaming

Lol.

If you think that a LN about a highschool boy inexplicably sorrounded by girls is above going the easy romance/harem route... I don't know what to say.

Is this a question lol

Wait, wait, wait. Hear me out before you guys go for the jugular.

The first season was pretty good at playing with your expectations. You had this antisocial loner who's surrounded by a bunch of cute girls, and you expect them to fawn over him, but the twist is, only one of them really liked him. And the kicker? He had so little self-esteem and faith in others that he didn't think a girl would ever like him. SNAFU was far from one of my favorite anime, but I really fond of that aspect of it.

From what I could gather,
Yukino throws her hat in the ring for season 2. Which... doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering his personality and her personality. I was invested in Yui's crush on Hachiman, (though I didn't really like her), but Yukino liking him just seems to be there for the sake of building drama? I can't say without having watched the season, but I don't think i'll like the justification. Who knows. To be honest, I could be biased considering I wasn't really fond of Yukino's character to begin with. Maybe that will change in S2.

I'm not really here for the Hachigames tbh. The thing I want to see the most in S2 is a growth in Hachima's character, since he's a pretty shitty person atm.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Obama passed the motion that all females in anime are yuri by default unless it is explicitly stated that they are not.

Angry Grimace

I assume you're not US based. I can see why someone who is busy marathoning basically everything wouldn't know that lol

Cornbread78

I assume you're not US based. I can see why someone who is busy marathoning basically everything wouldn't know that lol

I'm definitely in the US, but I just wasn't paying attention to the news I guess. I focus more on sports when watching the news, plus I'm always working so I miss a lot. The friends and family I have that live alternative lifestyles are already married and/or divorced, so I'm glad more can experience gay marriage legally.
I'm happy NEOGAF as a whole celebrates and supports the diversity it does; it's what makes this a great community.

cajunator

Banned
Hiroko Kazui's personal site has leaked that Owarimonogatari (part of the Monogatari Final Season) is in production to be aired this year.

Look for an announcement a week from Tuesday on Tanabata.

Kizu is never going to happen.
Why do they keep skipping it? Whats the reason?

The twist is that every 12th frame of Nisekoi is actually a frame from Kizu and we've all seen the movie already.

That would be brilliant if they actually did that. Someone would take the time to parse it out too.

GochiUsa S2 (Is the order a rabbit??) coming in the fall season.

A new season of GochiUsa and a new Yuru Yuri in the same season? Aw yeah.

Yessssssssssssssss!

kewlmyc

I will say that it's handled somewhat tastefully, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's not handled like your standard harem or anything.

Wait, wait, wait. Hear me out before you guys go for the jugular.

The first season was pretty good at playing with your expectations. You had this antisocial loner who's surrounded by a bunch of cute girls, and you expect them to fawn over him, but the twist is, only one of them really liked him. And the kicker? He had so little self-esteem and faith in others that he didn't think a girl would ever like him. SNAFU was far from one of my favorite anime, but I really fond of that aspect of it.

From what I could gather,
Yukino throws her hat in the ring for season 2. Which... doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering his personality and her personality. I was invested in Yui's crush on Hachiman, (though I didn't really like her), but Yukino liking him just seems to be there for the sake of building drama? I can't say without having watched the season, but I don't think i'll like the justification. Who knows. To be honest, I could be biased considering I wasn't really fond of Yukino's character to begin with. Maybe that will change in S2.

I'm not really here for the Hachigames tbh. The thing I want to see the most in S2 is a growth in Hachima's character, since he's a pretty shitty person atm.

Character development, bro. For both Hachiman and Yukino which makes them having romantic feeling for each other more realistic than in the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom