• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Gundam the Origin III

While the CG is still questionable (the scene with poor Lino getting blown up in the tank was particularly eyebrow-raising), otherwise this continues to be a strong production. The character animation remains excellent, if highly theatrical. Char's faces throughout were amazing. This really captured the charisma that is part of the Char mystique. The way he disarms everyone around him with a single look is pretty thrilling. It's also amusing to learn that the real Char was just an average guy who just had the misfortune of looking exactly like one highly determined man. You really don't want to come near Casval/Char if you can help it.

With the post-ED scene introducing a 13-year old Amuro, I'm wondering how far Sunrise will take this adaptation.

duckroll

It kind of seems like it was one of the franchises hurt in the Sunrise/ Bandai Namco Pictures split. It was moved to BNP, but then they've done nothing with it.

I don't think that's the case. The bigger issue seems to be that the director has been busy with other projects - the Saint Seiya CG film, Rage of Bahamut, etc. It's not unusual for an original IP to find a sudden unexpected success and go dark after a movie at best, especially if the creators involved have committed to other work in the next few years. Madoka Magica is in the same boat. Girls und Panzer might be done after the movie, even though it is selling so well.

Gundam the Origin III

With the post-ED scene introducing a 13-year old Amuro, I'm wondering how far Sunrise will take this adaptation.

The material they're adapting will take us all the way to the very start of Mobile Suit Gundam in 0079. After the final Char/Sayla OVA, they'll be continuing right on with the next arc which is the very start of the One Year War. That should be 2 OVAs at best. After that they will have exhausted all the prequel elements of Origin. Then... who knows.

Okay magazine cover shows off a silouhette of
stain
and deku
in his costume that he wears with Gran Torino
which basically means
STAIN
ARC CONFIRMED :D :D

Cornbread78

Masamune kun no Revenge TV anime announced.

As a child, Masamune Makabe once suffered greatly at the hands of a wealthy and beautiful girl named Aki Adagaki, who nicknamed him "Piggy" due to his chubby appearance. Seeking revenge against his tormentor, Masamune works hard to improve himself and returns as an incredibly handsome, albeit narcissistic, high school student. When he encounters Aki once again, he is prepared to exact vengeance.

With the aid of the rich girl's maid, Yoshino Koiwai, Masamune slowly begins to build his relationship with Aki, intending to break her heart when the time is right. However, as his friendship with Aki begins to grow, Masamune starts to question the objectives of his devious plans, and if bringing them to fruition is what his heart truly desires.

This sounds pretty interesting with love triangle potential.

"Never forget who you are"

Just caught up on Kabaneri. Show still looks gorgeous most of the time, action sequences still riveting, but the story is just above shit level. Guess that's not what they are selling though.

That was the only good episode of that show.

In fact that show would have been anime of the year had they decided to defeat every monster through the powers of idols.

Jintor

it's probably a lot better shotgunned than week to week. Like, a lot.

I wonder what an edit trimming down the goddamn flashbacks would be like.

JulianImp

The amount of butt-hurt that will be displayed in the AOTY over MHA being near the top will be glorious to witness.

That reeks of pretentiousness, though. It's like saying that a Michael Bay explosionfest, Candy Crush or other similar stuff shouldn't be popular, because the whole point of those things is that they're built from the ground up to appeal to a wide audience. Enjoying your niche media is okay and helping others learn about it is cool, but just don't go shoving those shows down other people's throats while pretending that they thank you for enlightening them.

AOTY discussion tends to be pretentious anywho sooo eh.

I mean I've read the reaction people had to Panty and Stocking winning AOTY because it isn't 'de arte' anime.

Cornbread78

That reeks of pretentiousness, though. It's like saying that a Michael Bay explosionfest, Candy Crush or other similar stuff shouldn't be popular, because the whole point of those things is that they're built from the ground up to appeal to a wide audience. Enjoying your niche media is okay and helping others learn about it is cool, but just don't go shoving those shows down other people's throats while pretending that they thank you for enlightening them.

AOTY discussion tends to be pretentious anywho sooo eh.

I mean I've read the reaction people had to Panty and Stocking winning AOTY because it isn't 'de arte' anime.

That's the thing here. The show is wildly popular by a majority of the manga community, as well as, the "casual" crowd, but loathed by many anime "purists." We see it in daily in this community. It will be fun to see how it all plays out in that thread because it is such a lightning rod here already..

Pretentious? Nah..
I'm in it for the entertainment!

Aki-at

Still get a sensible chuckle out of some of the negative reactions to One Punch Man winning it.

I personally don't mind whatever show wins it, I just hope some of the shows I enjoyed makes it, last year 5 of them made it!

(I think Mob Psycho has a good chance of challenging My Hero Academia, but I got to wonder if the art style is going to put some people off.)

Is MHA actually popular gaf-wide? I didn't follow the show at all really but I never got the impression that it'll rank particularly high for AOTY votings.

That's the thing here. The show is wildly popular by a majority of the manga community, as well as, the "casual" crowd, but loathed by many anime "purists." We see it in daily in this community. It will be fun to see how it all plays out in that thread because it is such a lightning rod here already..

Pretentious? Nah..

What the hell does not being in love with MHA have to do with being a "purist?"

Jintor

i don't think it has that breakout appeal OPM did and even in the OT people complain about the pacing a bunch.

I also don't think it takes being a 'purist' to see that BnH while solid is... just solid erring on occasionally mediocre (and occasionally fucking hype as shit).

Cornbread78

Still get a sensible chuckle out of some of the negative reactions to One Punch Man winning it.

I personally don't mind whatever show wins it, I just hope some of the shows I enjoyed makes it, last year 5 of them made it!

(I think Mob Psycho has a good chance of challenging My Hero Academia, but I got to wonder if the art style is going to put some people off.)

lol, very true on OPM. I might have been one of them since the show didn't really jive for me, same for Snoozobaka being up there two years in a row. It doesn't really affect me personally, but I do get a kick out of the back and forth about it. I think that gulf will actually be greater with MHA though because some consider it straight bad, but it is still beloved by so many. I think contentious is the right word to describe how the thread will go when it comes to MHA, lol.

Mob Psycho being made by the same folks as OPM will actually give it a huge boost and may draw back in a large amount of that "casual" crowd that flocked to OPM since they will recognize the art style right away. Content wise, I believe they are totally different experiences though, with no "super hero" effect.

Cornbread78

What the hell does not being in love with MHA have to do with being a "purist?"

i don't think it has that breakout appeal OPM did and even in the OT people complain about the pacing a bunch.

I also don't think it takes being a 'purist' to see that BnH while solid is... just solid erring on occasionally mediocre (and occasionally fucking hype as shit).

Sorry, "purist" is the only word I could think of and is probably the wrong word... There really isn't a proper description for it, maybe "anime only" watcher, or someone that leans heavily on the visual experience.

I've been enjoying the show myself, but it's not in my top 3 of the season. I also have no background with the manga, so I'm not waiting for those "defining moments" that bring out the shows best. The pacing is the big problem with the show and that was apparent from the first episode. Content wise it's really entertaining and has a certain charm to it, which is what draws me back in though. It's a very unique experience.

Cornbread78

I don't think that has anything to do with why the people who don't care for MHA feel that way.

Other than the huge pacing issues, I'd actually, really like to read a full breakdown on why it is disliked so much by some so much in here. One of those big Firehawk/Jarmel breakdowns that outline all the underlying problems..

I always read those to gain perspective on why people dislike something, even though I might not share the same view.

All I hear on MHA is that "it's $hit" and the pacing is bad. Are there any posts been put up recently that breakdown the issues with the show in detail?

Other than the huge pacing issues, I'd actually really like to read a full breakdown on why it is disliked so much by some of those in here. One of those big Firehawk breakdowns of sorts.

I always read those to gain perspective on why people dislike something, even though I might not share the same view.

All I hear on MHA is that "it's $hit" and the pacing is bad. Are there any posts been put up recently that breakdown the issues with the show in detail?

The only one I know of is dimb's post a few pages back with the way he calls it pedestrian. What he doesn't realize however is how the manga significantly evolves from that point onwards and the first 13 episodes of the anime when you really get down to it are pretty much just set up for that stuff.

Jintor

I can't be bothered with an true effortpost right now but here's a few points that immediately spring to mind.

- Pacing is bad. This one has been talked about a lot but to briefly summarise, the excessive flashbacks, fondness for repeating itself over and over, and tendency to draw out single manga panels into tedious stating the obvious is - while shonen cliche - rather irritating.

- Art is inconsistent and occasionally a mess. Environmental art is probably the worst offender here (characters often look like they're floating on the BG and never truly 'in' the location), but individual characters can look crappy at times, a lot of animation budget just doesn't seem to get put to use except in 'climactic scenes' and overall the art tends not to be able to have the same impact as a lot of the manga panels or, disregarding the manga comparisons, just doesn't have as much impact at all.

- Both leads, Deku and Bakugou, can be irritating to some viewers. Deku especially got hit by being hyped up too much imho by manga fans, but is kinda otherwise a fairly standard shonen hero (perhaps more on the cautious pragmatic side than bull-headed idiot); Bakugou on the other hand is unapologetically kinda a sociopath running this side of the good/evil divide, which can naturally piss people off.

- Most of the supporting cast wasn't introduced until about halfway through and had no real chance to shine until the beginning of the current arc.

---

Bear in mind I like MHA a lot but this adaption has been middling with standout moments rather than what I truly hoped for. I'm hoping for more from S2.

the music and VA really elevate a lot of this series imho

Eumi

Not really in depth, but for me it's just that the pacing is bad (which you kind of set aside but that doesn't mean you can just ignore it), and more importantly the world is dull as hell. From what's been shown it is literally the generic superhero world OPM was poking fun at. Which would be fine if the other elements were solid but they're mostly just mediocre.

I should probably point out that I don't complain about MHA because I think it's atrocious, but because I think it's a huge waste of potential. I really want to like the show but since I don't it just kind of sucks all round, and that's why I like expressing my issues. That might be the same for others which would explain why there's so much hate.

Cornbread78

Sölf;208095357 said:
So, should I start watching Prison School?

If you don't mind sophomoric humor and some really ecchi comedy, absolutely.

xCVBqrD.png

hJPdxR5.png

It's a pretty fun watch.

Any rumors on a season 2 yet?

Jintor

i don't think the world of MhA is dull, but certainly the world as presented in the anime is dull, at least partially because of the manga's ridiculous pacing and partially because it mostly just focuses on Deku and stuff immediately surrounding him.

---

Speaking of which, I had a weird dream idea about a show about crime and crime gangs/families etc set in a post-zombie apocolypse world. But I don't mean a, like, standard zombie post-apocolypse; I mean something where society rebuilt after the apocolypse and now there's just, like, you gotta be careful when you kill people cos they might come back, and maybe there's zombie labour somewhere; some world where zombies are just, you know, part of life. So to speak.

Like the end of Shaun of the Dead or something. I dunno.

Not really in depth, but for me it's just that the pacing is bad (which you kind of set aside but that doesn't mean you can just ignore it), and more importantly the world is dull as hell. From what's been shown it is literally the generic superhero world OPM was poking fun at. Which would be fine if the other elements were solid but they're mostly just mediocre.

See, as a manga reader this hurts to read because the manga really starts hitting its stride when the focus becomes moreso on the society of heroes in general rather than just the high school.

With the most recent developments in the manga I'm super excited to see where it's going to be going regarding the world building.

Sölf;208095357 said:

If you're into the stuff it provides it's a good watch.

I'd recommend watching the first episode and then reading the respective manga chapters. During it's airtime there was some discussion on what people preffered so it can't hurt to see for yourself wheter the manga or the anime is more enjoyable.

Onigiri 12

Oh boy, Spirit bombing the animators to give them the required energy to draw a finishing move is a pretty GOAT way to defeat an enemy, and it wasn't even the final episode!

This and last episode have been pretty good for a rather hit or miss show, god bless self-aware shorts that only exist to advertise bad MMO's

Aki-at

lol, very true on OPM. I might have been one of them since the show didn't really jive for me, same for Snoozobaka being up there two years in a row. It doesn't really affect me personally, but I do get a kick out of the back and forth about it. I think that gulf will actually be greater with MHA though because some consider it straight bad, but it is still beloved by so many. I think contentious is the right word to describe how the thread will go when it comes to MHA, lol.

Mob Psycho being made by the same folks as OPM will actually give it a huge boost and may draw back in a large amount of that "casual" crowd that flocked to OPM since they will recognize the art style right away. Content wise, I believe they are totally different experiences though, with no "super hero" effect.

You didn't gel with my top two favourite animes of last year :(

I definitely think Mob Psycho has a shot for the casual viewers but OPM look has a lot more mass appeal (And I actually prefer the standardized artstyle of OPM) and it was a superhero story so it's still a toss up for me if it can dethrone MHA.

Sölf;208095357 said:

YES!

Like why are you even here reading this response still?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Okay magazine cover shows off a silouhette of
stain
and deku
in his costume that he wears with Gran Torino
which basically means
STAIN
ARC CONFIRMED :D :D

Hopefully they still get a decent budget even with the performance of the show this season.

Sölf

If you don't mind sophomoric humor and some really ecchi comedy, absolutely.

If you're into the stuff it provides it's a good watch.

I'd recommend watching the first episode and then reading the respective manga chapters. During it's airtime there was some discussion on what people preffered so it can't hurt to see for yourself wheter the manga or the anime is more enjoyable.

YES!

Like why are you even here reading this response still?

Okay, so, I just watched the first episode. This is glorious. My kind of humor. :D

Line_HTX

Pretentious? Nah..

Kiritobread, what is this?

>:T

I can't be bothered with an true effortpost right now but here's a few points that immediately spring to mind.

- Pacing is bad. This one has been talked about a lot but to briefly summarise, the excessive flashbacks, fondness for repeating itself over and over, and tendency to draw out single manga panels into tedious stating the obvious is - while shonen cliche - rather irritating.

- Art is inconsistent and occasionally a mess. Environmental art is probably the worst offender here (characters often look like they're floating on the BG and never truly 'in' the location), but individual characters can look crappy at times, a lot of animation budget just doesn't seem to get put to use except in 'climactic scenes' and overall the art tends not to be able to have the same impact as a lot of the manga panels or, disregarding the manga comparisons, just doesn't have as much impact at all.

- Both leads, Deku and Bakugou, can be irritating to some viewers. Deku especially got hit by being hyped up too much imho by manga fans, but is kinda otherwise a fairly standard shonen hero (perhaps more on the cautious pragmatic side than bull-headed idiot); Bakugou on the other hand is unapologetically kinda a sociopath running this side of the good/evil divide, which can naturally piss people off.

- Most of the supporting cast wasn't introduced until about halfway through and had no real chance to shine until the beginning of the current arc.

---

Bear in mind I like MHA a lot but this adaption has been middling with standout moments rather than what I truly hoped for. I'm hoping for more from S2.

the music and VA really elevate a lot of this series imho

I said many times before that me peronally, I would love to watch this if it weren't for the pacing of some of the episodes. I feel like it would be better preesnted if they showed more stuff instead of dragging things out. That's only one of a few issues I have.

The biggest issue I have is I can't stand both Deku and Bakgou right now. They both make me not want to watch this because like others have said, there's hardly any supporting cast getting fleshed out until way later. The only thing I ever liked about MHA was All Might, and that goes without saying. You can't fault All Might ever. I get what they're trying to do here with both of these characters, but they just feel so one-dimensional right now. First of all, STOP CRYING!! It was fine showing his struggle in the beginning, but it just kept going and going and I just lost patience with him. Sometimes, I almost want someone to kick Deku in the Deku tree and then kick Bakugou down below and give him a concussion for being the worst heel ever shown, lol.

I almost feel like I want to skip the 1st season since this adaptation so far isn't really good in my eyes. I want it to do well, but I can't bring myself to like this with the way they did it. It's strange, I enjoyed the fuck out of OPM and dismissed the silly criticism of it, but here I find myself on the other side like, bro, come on, I'm a big hater now?

:T

blurr

I totally get all the criticism that the show gets from the detractors here, it is true for most of the part but I still like it and I even find its 'generic' nature fitting. (the generic nature)It's not very distracting from what I actually watch the show for but also effective enough to provide amusement to some degree which is pronounced in combination with the themes. The pace and the repeated exposition also add to this. I was actually a bit apprehensive about reading the manga when I read that it has much faster pace. I am so glad it is getting another season.

Sölf;208098780 said:
Okay, so, I just watched the first episode. This is glorious. My kind of humor. :D

I'm usually not fond of manga but I dare say the Prison School manga is way better than this adaptation. It contains proper grossness, hilarity and eroticism, whereas the anime is fairly lacking in the latter, imo. The art is also god tier and the anime falls fairly flat in that regard. I mean, sure, there's some nice stills but stills don't really take advantage of all that animation aspect, you know. Animation feels really week in general.

Voice acting is good but that's pretty much all that speaks in the anime's favor for me.

Line_HTX

I also do not think the world of MHA is dull, and in fact I like how in this world everyone has their own quirks for their abilities. I just think the setup was not executed well.

Maybe that's why I defaulted back to Concrete Revolutio for my superhero fix because of how the setup went, I dunno.

I will admit that initially when I stopped watching MHA I thought that I was fatigued by the whole hero genre because of both the anime medium and the cinematic universes of both Marvel and DC. I was wrong and out of bounds simply out of frustration. I mean, if I really was fatigued I would never pay tickets to go see all of those movies!

:p

Top Bottom