• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully when you get one, you'll let me hang in it. :D

hl1xspL.gif

I need all the infos.

Disco Lando uploaded screenshots of Star Marine on reddit that included a link that he forgot to remove which leads to the 40GB dev files lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/36zuwx/on_the_recent_star_marine_leak/

Trace

Banned
Well I only had an Aurora, but the price and coolness factor of that Reliant was too good to pass up, so I grabbed one of those.

Daedardus

40gb internal development build leaked and some are saying it includes SQ42 levels, Star Marine, almost completed ships along with things they haven't revealed.. so far no screenshots or detailed info is out yet.

Oh shit, never knew I had to be wary of spoilers for an 'early access' game.

It was Daedardus, wasn't it?

I wish... Or maybe not, suprise me CIG! I'd only want to know how far they are along to hush the critics.

Hopefully when you get one, you'll let me hang in it. :D

Of course, but I'll only buy it when it gets released in the hangar :).

Rommel

There any way we can spoiler tag the pictures or at least not post them in this thread for those who don't want anything spoiled?

Keasar

So, if I get this right from the past couple of months, Star Citizen wont be like Elite Dangerous that have a giant space you can go around in freely, but a series of small instances of space at locations that you can visit?

Not that I am asking for a fully simulated galaxy like Elite, I expect it to be limited to a couple of designed solar systems. Within those solar systems however, you can't fly around freely like Elite but only visit specific locations correct?

MrBig

So, if I get this right from the past couple of months, Star Citizen wont be like Elite Dangerous that have a giant space you can go around in freely, but a series of small instances of space at locations that you can visit?

Not that I am asking for a fully simulated galaxy like Elite, I expect it to be limited to a couple of designed solar systems. Within those solar systems however, you can't fly around freely like Elite but only visit specific locations correct?

Actual flight in SC is totally free within systems, the online network is what is instanced.

Keasar

Actual flight in SC is totally free within systems, the online network is what is instanced.

I see, I thought that you could only fly within "maps" that are within that system, not fly as you want, like, lets say you just jump to a non-descript point in space in that system and thats where you are now.

I see, I thought that you could only fly within "maps" that are within that system, not fly as you want, like, lets say you just jump to a non-descript point in space in that system and thats where you are now.

You can fly any where and do anything basically (no limitted maps which would defeat the purpose of going 64bit world). The game instances when people conglomerate.

can´t believe i´m building a new pc for this after 7 years...but here I am, goodbye consoles

seriously guys, i backed this early with 60 bucks and seriously consider to buy myself a MISC Reliant. Wanna help CIG a little to break the 100 million barrier...last time i checked today it clocked in at 83 million

can´t believe i´m building a new pc for this after 7 years...but here I am, goodbye consoles

seriously guys, i backed this early with 60 bucks and seriously consider to buy myself a MISC Reliant. Wanna help CIG a little to break the 100 million barrier...last time i checked today it clocked in at 83 million

Reliant should be starter ship so that depends if you *really* want it in addition. Do you have LTI? If not, and you do not play AC much, just melt one of your ships for it and once it goes flight ready you could CC up to your previous ship and keep the LTI.

Spoilers obviously, but a 4 minute video of the whole Bengal interior. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDEZbGd6_0

Looks like they are farther along with the whole game than I'd have imagined.

The command decks look amazing. One of the most impressive looking space ships I've seen in a game.

Spoilers obviously, but a 4 minute video of the whole Bengal interior. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDEZbGd6_0

Looks like they are farther along with the whole game than I'd have imagined.

I always imagined spoilers refer to story elements. Unfinished context-less designs of a UEE ship are considered spoilers?

$83,000,000 can really speed along development. But yeah, really impressed with how far they've come.

Money doesn't translate into speed per say. They can add developers or teams and break down production even more, but that leads to complexity and management issues and that actually might slow down development instead of speed it up. Best way to look at the budget is to ensure that it "will" get done and not use it as a metric to guess the speed in which it will get done.

Blizzard

Banned
Money doesn't translate into speed per say. They can add developers or teams and break down production even more, but that leads to complexity and management issues and that actually might slow down development instead of speed it up. Best way to look at the budget is to ensure that it "will" get done and not use it as a metric to guess the speed in which it will get done.
I've never read the mythical man month book, but assuming more money/developers will speed things up is a classic manager thing that software engineers hate.

The normal manager argument is, a task takes 9 "man-months" (please excuse the "man" term and blame corporate culture :p) , so an engineer will work on it for 9 months. But what if there were 9 engineers?! They could finish in 1 month!

The normal engineer attempt to explain how this is not necessarily a good plan is, 1 woman can have a healthy baby in 9 months, but 9 women can't speed that process up to 1 month.

Presumably once management backs off on this, they go for the next classic management strategy -- "We'll keep the same team then, and you can all work [maybe paid, maybe unpaid] overtime. Overtime is totally productive and doesn't cause people to burn out, make mistakes, and kill themselves, right?"

Daedardus

I always imagined spoilers refer to story elements. Unfinished context-less designs of a UEE ship are considered spoilers?

Well yeah, suppose you want to play SQ42 and want to be blown away by the Bengal inside, this takes away a bit of the suspense already. Better safe than sorry :p.

Zabojnik

We've kinda already seen the Bengal's interior in the initial pitch video though. Yeah, I know, they've upgraded it since then, but still, it's mostly the same design.

Zalusithix

Somewhat underwhelmed by the F8. I think my Vanguard's a little sexier.

Changing the subject, anyone planning to pick up a Reliant?

Well the F8 isn't really treading on the Vanguard territory anyhow. The F8 is supposed to be a space superiority ship that replaced the F7. Thus it's a short range nimble fighter - albeit more forward fire focused than the F7. The Vanguard is also heavily forward fire focused, but less agile and more focused on range, armor, and redundancy.

As for the Reliant, I picked one up. Compared to the other ships in my fleet, the low price makes it an impulse buy. I'll end up CCUing it to either the researcher or skirmisher variant when the option presents itself though. I don't need another hauling ship. Different ships can be fun to fly in combat due to handling and loadout differences, and having a relatively disposable research craft can be useful, but hauling is more of a 'by the numbers' mechanic. Flying around a 30CU ship for trading is totally pointless when I have ships with much higher capacities. *Edit* Though I suppose, there could be a use for a small hauler if there are places where only small class ships can land. However, the profit per CU would have to be over 4 times higher than places that could accept medium ships to make it worthwhile vs trading up to a Freelancer Max. Once you jump up to the large ships though, the profit would have to be unrealistically high to compete. A Starfarer carries over 110 times the capacity, the Hull C over 150 times, the Banu MM nearly 170 times...

Horrible for the leak to happen, but at least it renewed my interest in the game. I was so sick of the drip-feed of information and emphasizing ship sales. Now I'm glad SQ42 is coming along nicely.

that F8 design is sadly underwhelming, I was expecting it to be a sexier bulkier Hornet but maybe it's not the final design they went with. Also hope those interiors for those cap ships are mostly blocked out because there's no way SQ42 is coming this year if they're not.

I picked up three Reliants.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with them... I'll see what variants are released.

I also got one of the Hull B's during the recent sale.

I've got a 325a as a fighter, but I think I'd like to upgrade to a bigger, more formidable ship soon while keeping the 325a.

How often have they been having the concept sales? Once a month?

Reliant should be starter ship so that depends if you *really* want it in addition. Do you have LTI? If not, and you do not play AC much, just melt one of your ships for it and once it goes flight ready you could CC up to your previous ship and keep the LTI.

Nope, just got the Origin 300i that came with my pledge...but thanks for the advice!

I have to agree with the above idea that I do not want to see any ships held in the SQ42 campaign really beyond what one can read in the lore segments of the website. It would be nice to be surprised when one shows up and is supposed to transmit a feeling of awe or wonder.

I have tried avoiding spoilers in that sense. ALthough I do love seeing any and everything related to the FPS module which leaked.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't think anything should be held back as a surprise, aside from Squadron 42 story elements (although the major plot beats did get leaked). I think they should have shown the backers these models as they were being made. I fully support pretty much every leak with this game because there shouldn't be anything to leak in the first place — it should all be out in the open.

Anyone seen the Void bomber? It reminds me a little of a Nephilim ship from Wing Commander Prophecy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmpFCIGjEGo

Blizzard

Banned
One can only assume the heavy helmet is like horse blinders, preventing the soldier from running away when they glimpse the true horrors of war in their periphereal vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom