• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

d0g_bear

Procedural Generation R&D Team – This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.
Also: Next Great Starship airs episode 4 today - they have finalized the contestants and are now starting on building the ships. Should this get its own thread? Might be interesting for aspiring designers and 3d modelers.

Maybe a new studio working on seamless space to planet flight focusing on procedural stuff for later after the game is released. That's been my dream for this game since it was announced so it would be cool if he said that they started work on it even if its not going to be available for launch

yes guys I'm from the future, now we're talking CR. This is the kind of goal that really gets me excited for this game now

Keasar

Sweet jesus! That destroyer!

Javelin_GunneryDeckUpdate_SideV_Hobbins.png

epmode

Like most everything in the hangar, the holotable is really unfinished. They're still working on the in-universe holographic interface so it's going to be a while before the holotable is ready.

You have to load the weapon into the hardpoint through the holostation.

Quick question - Anyone else think the sounds / interaction with the holotable is completely terrible?

Sound is not bad, the interaction is pretty unresponsive though (even though I like the way some parts of it look).

SnowTeeth

Banned
Quick question - Anyone else think the sounds / interaction with the holotable is completely terrible?

Yep. I cannot for the life of me attach a gun to the hardpoint of the turret. I have a Hornet and I'm fairly certain I'm going through the process correctly by dragging a gun to the turret hardpoint, but all I get is a red splotch indicating the gun isn't compatible, or something..

Daedardus

Meh, this game is starting to look more and more like garbage.

Clumsy animations, PBR making textures look arse, strange lighting effects, overdesigned and ugly looking ship models, simplistic physics, unfriendly interfaces, feature bloat and terrible performance on top of that.

Not to mention they keep delaying everything they wanted to release. This game is going to be stuck in development hell for more than several years. I don't know why Chris Roberts is even trying anymore, the man clearly lost his vision for making games.

Right now this game serves as a way of letting go 40+ million dollars down the drain, so everyone on the team can buy an exclusive sportscar. Why do I still bother with this game, smh.

This is what I would lead to believe were it not for that fact I still have all my faith and common sense. Go Chris! BELIEVE.

Yep. I cannot for the life of me attach a gun to the hardpoint of the turret. I have a Hornet and I'm fairly certain I'm going through the process correctly by dragging a gun to the turret hardpoint, but all I get is a red splotch indicating the gun isn't compatible, or something..

I had that issue too. Try closing the holotable after you load the hardpoint.

Problem is that I can't load the hardpoint. The Badger Repeater doesn't seem compatible.

I can even take of the mount from the gun turret but I cannot load the gun on the turret or mount whatsoever.

The Badger won't fit on the "puck" that the firing range mount comes with, no. However, you can get it to work by pulling the puck off one of the wings of the hornet and slapping that one on the gun mount in place of the original. The Hornet one accepts a much wider range of guns to be fitted.

So on TNGS today's second ship reveal just happened: The Mustang!

mustang07_zps15f25005.jpg

(More pictures in this post)

Sweet jesus I want it. I don't even care if it doesn't have a bed or anything, I just hope I can upgrade my LX to it when it goes up on the store without losing out on the $5 extra the LX cost me in the first place. Hopefully there'll be a Mustang variant LX owners can upgrade to for free.

Var

Sweet jesus I want it. I don't even care if it doesn't have a bed or anything, I just hope I can upgrade my LX to it when it goes up on the store without losing out on the $5 extra the LX cost me in the first place. Hopefully there'll be a Mustang variant LX owners can upgrade to for free.

That looks awesome.

kase23

Oh fuck, After grabbing a super hornet I didn't expect to pledge for another ship but god damn that mustang is sexy, and it also has decent cargo options to boot!
If this bird fills the niche for an agile deep space explorer my wallet is in trouble

SnowTeeth

Banned
The Badger won't fit on the "puck" that the firing range mount comes with, no. However, you can get it to work by pulling the puck off one of the wings of the hornet and slapping that one on the gun mount in place of the original. The Hornet one accepts a much wider range of guns to be fitted.

Perhaps I should of fiddled around with it more...

That worked. Thanks man.

If you melt a ship with LTI, do the ships you then use the store credits for have LTI or a I screwed in that regard?

No, don't melt an LTI ship. If you're thinking about the Mustang then you'll be able to upgrade an LTI Aurora MR/LX/LN to a Mustang for free which will keep your LTI, but that's a special case. There's always the Reddit gray market that you can buy/sell/trade LTI ships on if you're open to that sort of thing.

Mindlog

No, don't melt an LTI ship. If you're thinking about the Mustang then you'll be able to upgrade an LTI Aurora MR/LX/LN to a Mustang for free which will keep your LTI, but that's a special case. There's always the Reddit gray market that you can buy/sell/trade LTI ships on if you're open to that sort of thing.
Good advice. Definitely don't melt LTI ships.
Even if you want to put the credits toward something else check on GAF to see if anyone wants the ship :]

The Mustang looks great. Nice to see some movement on the starter package end of things. I really like the idea of the next stretch goal. It's a sign that 'beyond launch' is already on their minds and that's reassuring to me.

masterkajo

The funny thing is: While the Mustang looks rather cool, fast and sexy and while I never really liked the look of the Aurora, I am still favoring the Aurora.
Might be the same reason why I love the Cutlass. Not that attractive but it has inner beauty and a lot of potential.

I really like its look. If I was just going to have one basic starter ship, I'd probably have aimed for it.

The Javelin looks pretty neat too! It could make for a pretty amazing long term goal of GAF Flagship. /sigh. One day I'll join the GAF fleet. Has there been any word on when we'll be able to join multiple organizations?

MrBig

I really like its look. If I was just going to have one basic starter ship, I'd probably have aimed for it.

The Javelin looks pretty neat too! It could make for a pretty amazing long term goal of GAF Flagship. /sigh. One day I'll join the GAF fleet. Has there been any word on when we'll be able to join multiple organizations?

Not dreaming big enough. We're going to capture a Kingship and the fleet it carries

SRTtoZ

I just found out about this game yesterday and have been researching it quite a bit. I finally snapped and put down $125 for the Freelancer package and am DLing the Hangar Module as we speak. I really wanted a Constellation but I couldn't justify the price especially if I plan on manning the ship alone. Hopefully they release some sort of dedicated mining ship and I could trade for that. I WANT TO MINE!!!

(I mined in UO and EVE Online nonstop k?)

MrBig

I just found out about this game yesterday and have been researching it quite a bit. I finally snapped and put down $125 for the Freelancer package and am DLing the Hangar Module as we speak. I really wanted a Constellation but I couldn't justify the price especially if I plan on manning the ship alone. Hopefully they release some sort of dedicated mining ship and I could trade for that. I WANT TO MINE!!!

(I mined in UO and EVE Online nonstop k?)

Yes, there will be dedicated mining roles. I'd recommend checking out this segment from last week's Wingman's Hangar episode (@4:35), showing concepts and development of a mining outpost and vehicle. There will be at least one dedicated mining ship, the RSI Orion.
RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

Also, in case there is confusion, the ships on the pledge page are far from all of the ships in the game, they're there for collectors that want to throw money at the project. Once the actual game begins in 2015 you'll have to be doing everything in-game, meaning if you want to mine you'll have to dedicate yourself to it and work up to that goal.

metalshade

I try to stay out of this thread, because it just makes the wait so difficult!
That said.............
The option to sidegrade my LTI Aurora MR into an LTI Mustang is so tempting....I mean, just look at that thing!
Seeing as how it seems to be another ship in the same class, I would assume it would be a ship that one can earn fairly quickly in-game, so rather than trade out my Aurora, I think I will keep it, and dedicate my first few hours in the game proper, to earning that Mustang.
2 ships is better than 1 for if I get shot down or whatever, cos the insurance policy doesn't immediately replace your ship, if I remember correctly?

You know I did just get around to watching that Dogfight module demo from December. Fuck me running.

This could easily be the game of the FOREVER. It seems like every possible intricate badass space epic idea you can think up, CR has thought of it too. I can only imagine the programmers of this game. They probably want to tap CR on the shoulder sometimes and go " what the fuck man? You want us to do what? " lol. Every piece of the spacecraft being penetrable by attack? Awesome. THOSE SHIELDS! Awesome. Reminded me of the alien shields from Independence Day.

So in this game you will have ships that have crews too right? And those crews can be other players? So you could realistically have a Star Wars moment where you see enemies on your sensors. Fire up the autopilot or put someone else into the cockpit, whomever the best flier is, and then have 3-4 real players running through the corridors of the interior to the gunners stations, raising the turrets and blasting away?

YOU HAVE ANY FUCKIN CLUE HOW BADASS THAT IS! Holy shit. That and the forums blowing up because a PS4 devkit was discovered in that video was awesome. PS4 version of this game is almost a given at this point, CR and Sony just have to come to terms on the way the game will be patched.

geetec

Neo Member
Immediately, as usual, my mind is telling me to buy the most expensive packages.

So I looked..
vVOjtIY.gif

Might as well just get the $40 one or I'm going to be spending way too much money on this game.

MrBig

will those Vanduul ships have interiors?

The intention is for every ship in the PU to be practically constructed. That being the case on day 1, though, is unlikely. Each one of those vanduul ships will probably cost CIG $100,000+ each with a few months of dedicated effort, so they'll likely focus on what's needed for Squadron 42 and then release the rest to the PU as they're completed.

Daedardus

The intention is for every ship in the PU to be practically constructed. Whether that's the case on day 1 though, is unlikely. Each one of those vanduul ships will probably cost CIG $100,000+ each with a few months of dedicated effort.

I somehow doubt those will all get interiors. They are all way too big and there are way too many of them. Maybe the Kingship will get an interior but being the biggest ship it'll probably cost more than 250,000.

Mr.Mike

Any indication if we'll be able to play as Vandul, or is it just humans for now?

I suppose if it's not something in there at first it will be eventually. I expect this game to have a really long life, with content continually being added. (Like a popular MMO basically)

I really hope the fighting in this game is not like others and actually takes some time. I would love to have 5-10 minute battles where you could end up losing someone in an asteroid field or perform various in-ship alterations that end up helping you either survive a tough spot or win out in a drawn out battle.

Games like Eve Online, it sucks when you have this billion dollar craft that is able to get wiped out within moments. Really anything other then a Titan is able to get destroyed insanely quickly with really no chance to ever perform a manuever to perhaps escape the situation.

No " nets " or anything like that. Eve is all about simply trapping your foe, making it where he can't fight back, and then destroying him. It is very boring really. I want combat like in Star Wars, where you had Han dodging Tie Fighters in that asteroid field. They would hit him and you would feel the jolts but it didn't destroy you automatically you know. If you had a fire you could go back and put out the fire, or fix some loose wiring or whatever to keep your ship going. That is what it sounds like CR is going for, where you can even target someones life support system inside the craft and try and blast it to destroy the chance for survival of the pilot/s inside.

That is what I hope for. I hope capital ship battles are just epic moments where the crews of each are as much a factor in the victory of the battle as the power of its guns. Where you have a crew inside your capital ship of like 50 people, jumping into guns, repairing issues, and jumping into the Fighter class ships in the Hangar and heading out into space to do battle against the other ships fighters and whatnot.

Just the thought of it all, is f'in epic. EPIC.

SRTtoZ

I have to say real quick, this launcher is fantastic. The music, the sounds, the interface, and when you minimize it the music slowly fades. Just quality all around.

Grief.exe

When does the FPS module come out? I heard you can board people's ship and hijack it? that sounds awesome.

That will be a ways off.

I really hope the fighting in this game is not like others and actually takes some time. I would love to have 5-10 minute battles where you could end up losing someone in an asteroid field or perform various in-ship alterations that end up helping you either survive a tough spot or win out in a drawn out battle.

Games like Eve Online, it sucks when you have this billion dollar craft that is able to get wiped out within moments. Really anything other then a Titan is able to get destroyed insanely quickly with really no chance to ever perform a manuever to perhaps escape the situation.

No " nets " or anything like that. Eve is all about simply trapping your foe, making it where he can't fight back, and then destroying him. It is very boring really. I want combat like in Star Wars, where you had Han dodging Tie Fighters in that asteroid field. They would hit him and you would feel the jolts but it didn't destroy you automatically you know. If you had a fire you could go back and put out the fire, or fix some loose wiring or whatever to keep your ship going. That is what it sounds like CR is going for, where you can even target someones life support system inside the craft and try and blast it to destroy the chance for survival of the pilot/s inside.

That is what I hope for. I hope capital ship battles are just epic moments where the crews of each are as much a factor in the victory of the battle as the power of its guns. Where you have a crew inside your capital ship of like 50 people, jumping into guns, repairing issues, and jumping into the Fighter class ships in the Hangar and heading out into space to do battle against the other ships fighters and whatnot.

Just the thought of it all, is f'in epic. EPIC.

I agree entirely.

Its tough to balance around the entire fleet targeting one vessel, but I believe the more real-time nature and instance size of Star Citizen will help reduce those issues.

FACE

Banned
YOU HAVE ANY FUCKIN CLUE HOW BADASS THAT IS! Holy shit. That and the forums blowing up because a PS4 devkit was discovered in that video was awesome. PS4 version of this game is almost a given at this point, CR and Sony just have to come to terms on the way the game will be patched.

Oh, not this shit again.

Edit: Hey, it's Grief!

Oh, not this shit again.

Edit: Hey, it's Grief!

What shit? Even the forum post he made he made it clear they are worrying about the PC version first and foremost and will release that. After that, anything is possible.

Him and Sony just have to come to an agreement on the whole patching process. That seems to be the only roadblock and it would be dumb of Sony to allow something as small as the patching process ruin the chances of such a massive game hitting the console.

Anyway, I know I will be buying the PC version anyway, so whatever.

Top Bottom