• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Ogimachi

"Rough" is an understatement. None of my early access game were so buggy in their first builds available. Chris is probably quite pissed.

ASTROID2

Alpha product crashing sounds like a normal day for me.

Now everyone will freak out and and complain though, because this is the internet.

Pretty much worked the way I expected it to go. It is in fact pre pre pre pre pre alpha. Although in the video they showed of the days before it they had it working. Just not there.

Grief.exe

Can anyone sum up the proceedings?

Sounds like it didn't go so well. I was actually thinking the other day, it would probably help development overall if they didn't have to release the DFM to the public.

Just focus development forward instead of putting all man power on a stable public build that you have to support going forward. It will give them some good testing and proof of concept, but this is eating too much development resources.

Omit the bugs that we all saw and focus on some of the positives.

- The newtonian physics (although we've seen them before) works as we expected and works quite nicely with the thrusters and the impact of hitting objects.

- The lighting was magnificent! Seriously, go back and check the lighting out. not bad.

- Texture quality during gameplay didnt take a hit. it was looking great the whole time and the PBR effect really shows on the ship

- damage states look great for such a rough build

- Helmet Animation!

...but can someone gif a helmet animation for a brother?

Edit: how can I forget the "blacking out" from the force of all those G's? such a nice touch and really shows how detailed the game will be down the road. They're seriously thinking of everything.

Sounds like it didn't go so well. I was actually thinking the other day, it would probably help development overall if they didn't have to release the DFM to the public.

Just focus development releases forward instead of focusing all man power on a stable public build that you have to support going forward. It will give them some good testing and proof of concept, but this is eating too much development resources.

Since they are building it on the MMO backend and net code, it is actually 100% necessary for them to throw everything into it.

MrBig

Sounds like it didn't go so well. I was actually thinking the other day, it would probably help development overall if they didn't have to release the DFM yo the public.

Just focus development releases forward instead of focusing all man power on a stable public build that you have to support going forward. It will give them some good testing and proof of concept, but this is eating too much development resources.

Looking great, but fraught with the expected stability issues. Reddits thread on this has more info

feel bad for the team after this, I'm sure they worked their ass off to get this out but just sucks their presentation ended up crashing so much. Looked good from what worked though, that PBR looked amazing

injurai

Banned
Pretty much worked the way I expected it to go. It is in fact pre pre pre pre pre alpha. Although in the video they showed of the days before it they had it working. Just not there.

As someone who just spent the last semester trying to recreate mario with a team of 4 other people, I know creating a game can be a bitch.

Honestly I really enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes and them talking about the process of finding bugs. While not surprised, I'm a bit disgusted by the comments being thrown out by that audience. Some gamers give up everything to escape reality, so you can only expect them to be entitled wretches with little care or interest into the larger dynamics behind the games.

As someone who just spent the last semester trying to recreate mario with a team of 4 other people, I know creating a game can be a bitch.

Honestly I really enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes and them talking about the process of finding bugs. While not surprised, I'm a bit disgusted by the comments being thrown out by that audience. Some gamers give up everything to escape reality, so you can only expect them to be entitled wretches with little care or interest into the larger dynamics behind the games.

Audience ruined the presentation in the end. I mean, its nice, we are all happy, but there are limits.

Ogimachi

Newtonian physics sounds great in theory, but giving the option to play in 3rd person provides an advantage, since those playing in 1st person can have blackouts/grey-outs in the middle of a dogfight.
I'd have to see and run the numbers to check, but it seems to me they're trying to show that kind of stuff off instead of making it more accurate. The ship didn't seem to have such great acceleration to cause a blackout on the pilot, considering trained astronauts today can sustain up to 9g while conscious.

My two cents: keep that stuff in the persistent universe or tone it way down in the DFM, it's the kind of thing that could make everyone choose the 3rd person view, and that's sad for such an ambitious space-sim.

P3P5I

Newtonian physics sounds great in theory, but giving the option to play in 3rd person provides an advantage, since those playing in 1st person can have blackouts/grey-outs in the middle of a dogfight.
I'd have to see and run the numbers to check, but it seems to me they're trying to show that kind of stuff off instead of making it more accurate. The ship didn't seem to have such great acceleration to cause a blackout on the pilot, considering trained astronauts today can sustain up to 9g while conscious.

My two cents: keep that stuff in the persistent universe or tone it way down in the DFM, it's the kind of thing that will make people choose the 3rd person view, and that's sad for such an ambitious space-sim.
Yeah, I also thought the 3rd person view was just to show off the ship. Most likely there will be either no 3rd person in combat or 3rd person will also suffer from black/red-outs during the DFM.

Ogimachi

Yeah, I also thought the 3rd person view was just to show off the ship. Most likely there will be either no 3rd person in combat or 3rd person will also suffer from black/red-outs during the DFM.
I hope you're right. That HUD in 1st person was amazing, it'd be a shame to play it in 3rd person.
I wonder when they intend to push Arena Commander II, can't wait to fly my Freelancer..

Burt

And that audience (and this thread to a degree) is why we only get marketing-filtered bullshit nowadays instead of legitimate insight into the development process.

went back and watched the first half I missed with the single player dfm stuff and now am actually pretty damn hyped for it. Problems aside, the game looked amazing

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wow, the crowd got on my nerves really fast. I hope its not an indication of the community the game will have.

But i have the feeling that the team did not put their priorities in the right places with the tech they have (or that we do anyway). Adding animations to every little fucking pieces of equipment, will make any PC crawl on its knees with big dogfights. I have a feeling that even 5+ years from now you'll have a hard time running this game on max.

I have doubts for the crytek 3 engine pulling off games with a big scale like space, but i dont know so...

epmode

I had a lot of fun at the reveal, GAF. I didn't notice any negativity but I left before they tried setting up the multiplayer attempt.

Jb

Is this game ever going to live up to the hype? :(

That's why I feel good about waiting for it to be clse to release and then actually decide to buy it. That way I don't expect anything and can only be pleasantly surprised when it becomes available.

Is this game ever going to live up to the hype? :(

When it's done. Welcome to game development.

FWIW, what was shown working before the attempted multiplayer demo sure lived up to my reigned-in hype. I think people need to focus less on that mess-up and more on how glorious it looked when it was working.

"FWIW, what was shown working before the attempted multiplayer demo sure lived up to my reigned-in hype. I think people need to focus less on that mess-up and more on how glorious it looked when it was working."

Basically. If it were the official launch (or near) then there'd be some cause for concern. A bleeding edge alpha build that they were still working on even leading up to the start of the stream...not so much.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"FWIW, what was shown working before the attempted multiplayer demo sure lived up to my reigned-in hype. I think people need to focus less on that mess-up and more on how glorious it looked when it was working."

Basically. If it were the official launch (or near) then there'd be some cause for concern. A bleeding edge alpha build that they were still working on even leading up to the start of the stream...not so much.

It's the problem with showing games early. When people see an unfinished product many asume the poor quality will carry over to the final product. That's why developers mostly just show the now infamous "vertical slices" cause they are scared that consumers don't understand the difference between an Alpha, a Beta and the final game.

Top Bottom