• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

injurai

Banned
64 bit precision is CRAZY for level geometry. Seriously. HUGE DESIGN GOAL.

That goes beyond just 64-bit memory addresses right? Usually that's what people mean when they talk about 64-bit programs. This is a complete rewrite of the their geometry rendering using doubles instead of ints?

That goes beyond just 64-bit memory addresses right? Usually that's what people mean when they talk about 64-bit programs. This is a complete rewrite of the their geometry rendering using doubles instead of ints?

The game is already only 64 bit from a memory addressing perspective (only has an x64 executable). This is from a precision in geometry and world origin perspective.

Most games limit their world size to a 8k squared (pretty much all do) and then stream them in in sections of 8km. Away from the point of origin everything gets less precise and teh geometry actually starts to look strange and have erors at times. Also the game becomes less stable.

With 64 bit precision you have basically the capability to make huge non-streaming game worlds that have extremely precise geometry coordinates.

RK9039

That fish question was kinda weird

It was, but it's an important question. These are the things we must know.

iblpzm8cRiEZ4N.jpg

My dream is to collect all the fishes in this game. All blue.

Wow... this map they're showing now looks great.

As long as you are adding new content to a game, it's going to be very buggy. 90% of bugs and corner cases are resolved in the last month.

Also there are some really awful people in that crowd.

Yeah, so many comedians in situations like this.

Fucking moron Cryengine guy now.

As long as you are adding new content to a game, it's going to be very buggy. 90% of bugs and corner cases are resolved in the last month.

Also there are some really awful people in that crowd.

I tend to not yell out loud for no reason just to hear myself. SO yes, some quite interesting folk there.

some dude yelling "cryengine sucks" and stuff like that. Right....

RK9039

That was pretty damn cool, shame about the multiplayer gameplay. At least we got see some gameplay in one of the levels, and that helmet animation.

Alpha product crashing sounds like a normal day for me.

Now everyone will freak out and and complain though, because this is the internet.

BU.. BUT 42MILLION?!

Alpha product crashing sounds like a normal day for me.

Now everyone will freak out and and complain though, because this is the internet.

Poor CR. It started off awesome, but took a turn for the worse. Still excited for the game however. Just need to work out the kinks. Hopefully they can work things out, in time for release.

You can tell he was frustrated as HELL though. Can't blame people in this thread, or in the chat for getting impatient, but as I said, they still need to work things out. Hope for the best.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm not sure they helped themselves with this livestream event.

Should stick to prerecorded videos and press releases for big announcements that don't involve playable code, I think.

They should have just delay this a bit longer. Would be better to wait for a more polished piece. Yes people would be angry, but still, this presentation, people yelling, set the mood in the begining, but after a while it got old and a bit unprofessional.

Still Pre Alpha, we'll see how it will go...

Top Bottom