• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
I'm glad this movie is as good as it deserved to be. Not a huge fan but me and the girl are nerds so we will eat it up...on Monday. So we have a few days to watch the ot

213372bu

Banned
Fuck.

Me.

Sideways.

Then.

Do.

It.

Again.

That was glorious. Hands down the BEST Star Wars movie since ESB.

images
Better than RotJ?

Waldini

Better than RotJ?

For me ... this almost beats ESB.

ESB > TFA > ANH > ROTJ > ROTS > AOTC > TPM.

There's just .. so many feels.

Not a single gif on the internet can expres how I feel. Not one.

The music. The look, the characters ... the WTF moments, the WHOA moments ... it fits.

J.J did it. And he did it good. Fucking hell.

Arkeband

Banned
Not surprised to see reviews bringing up JJ's reliance on callbacks. Hopefully the director of VIII can distance himself from using the OT as a crutch.

As someone who's completely avoided any marketing, and never seen any trailers and knows next to nothing about the film: good to avoid the fatigue.

What planet do you live on? I can't even go to a grocery store without being beaten over the head with Stars Wars marketing.

Waldini

Not surprised to see reviews bringing up JJ's reliance on callbacks. Hopefully the director of VIII can distance himself from using the OT as a crutch.

This. I really don't get these kind of comments. Go see the fucking movie. Then judge.

The OT as a crutch? It's a continuation of episode 6. How can you NOT rely on the OT? FFS.

213372bu

Banned

But we're going to need it for the 30-min midichlorian info dump so it can be reintroduced to the new audience from the PT.

Interfectum

A crutch? lol

It's a direct sequel to Episode 6. Of course there will be callbacks to bridge the trilogies together. EP8 and 9 will be more distinct as we move away from the bridge.

I want a sequel to rottj, that also sets up a new cast for another 2 movies. That sounds like what it is. I think I will love it.

Plus I remember walking out of Star Trek 09 with my uncle and saying "well that was the best Star Wars movie I've seen in 20+ years" and him agreeing.

guek

Banned
You know what movie's tomatometer always gets me?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - 96%

I mean, what the hell? It's such a mediocre wet noodle of a movie. I guess it exemplifies the principle that the tomatometer is far from perfect, because a mediocre but steady movie does better than a stunning but controversial movie.

But Deathly Hallows the Second also has an average rating of 8.3. Which makes its tomatometer and average score both almost identical to The Force Awakens. Now that frightens me. If The Force Awakens is as milquetoast, empty, and perfunctory as Deathly Hallows, then I will be disappointed.

At least it wasn't as bad as part I though. Bleh.

Tobor

But we're going to need it for the 30-min midichlorian info dump so it can be reintroduced to the new audience from the PT.

I know you're joking, but we'll never hear the word "Midichlorians" in a Star Wars movie ever again. I'd bet money on that.

Loxley

Holy crap at that RT score - I tend to not put that much stock in them, but even I was predicting mid-to-high 80's at my most optimistic. I've only ever been a casual fan of this franchise, but let me just say I'm happy for all you hardcore fans out there who have been waiting for decades for more good Star Wars.

Tobor

Holy crap at that RT score - I tend to not put that much stock in them, but even I was predicting mid-to-high 80's at my most optimistic. I've only ever been a casual fan of this franchise, but let me just say I'm happy for all you hardcore fans out there who have been waiting for decades for more good Star Wars.

It's been a long, long wait since 1983. I was 7 years old. Now I'm 39.

213372bu

Banned
For me ... this almost beats ESB.

ESB > TFA > ANH > ROTJ > ROTS > AOTC > TPM.

There's just .. so many feels.

Not a single gif on the internet can expres how I feel. Not one.

The music. The look, the characters ... the WTF moments, the WHOA moments ... it fits.

J.J did it. And he did it good. Fucking hell.

IMHO Equal to RotJ. Return has higher highs (nothing can top Emperor-Luke-Vader scenes in the whole trilogy) and lower lows while FA is more even.
Thanks for the responses!

I'm going to have to go to 2 different showings this weekend and it looks like this is turning out better than I expected. Nice to see people liking it!
==

I know you're joking, but we'll never hear the word "Midichlorians" in a Star Wars movie ever again. I'd bet money on that.

Yeah, I'd even bet money too, to be honest.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, knowing nothing about this film since I haven't followed anything about it, I know that JJ is very capable of delivering a film like Star Trek Into Darkness. lol

The film very much seems to be a better version of Into Darkness for both good and bad. For a lot of reviewers that only cite it being good, I wonder if that was the deciding factor.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This thread is making my life difficult.

I never doubted JJ because he has an honest love of the material.

Nice to see the 98%. I'm not a star wars fanatic like a lot of people but I'm really hyped nonetheless.

As of 12/16/2015 9:44Am EST:

98% Positive Overall Reviews
Average Rating: 8.4/10
Reviews Counted: 121
Fresh: 118
Rotten: 3

Critics Consensus: Packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy.

This is a solid sample size. The movie is certified awesome and MUST-SEE.

Crazyorloco

Avoiding all these reviews...they may have spoilers. I'm glad that they are all positive.

I may have to avoid the internet for a week...i'm seeing the movie on dec 26 :(

I hate everyone that is going to see the movie this weekend. I have too many family obligations and responsibilities this time of year :(

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not gonna read any reviews since at this point I have zero idea what the plot is. However, I'm beyond happy that it's at 98% right now. Seems like critics and established fans all agree that it's pretty damn good.

Lol, the blurb from one of the negative reviews:

Perhaps another director will pick up the elements that Abrams left scattered about, imbue them with some... any kind of subtext, to give us some real poetry.

Guys, it isn't like poetry. It doesn't rhyme.

That 98% means it's better than Mad Max right.

I do not expect this to be better than Mad Max and I'm a massive Star Wars fanboy.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The only Star Wars movie I've seen is Episode 1. Didn't like it all that much so I never saw the rest. I figure... If I don't like the original, why mess with the rest of the series?

This thread has me interested though. I might have to jump on the bandwagon.

Pachimari

I'm not a massive fanboy but I thought this was better than Mad Max. That said, they are totally different films. I just enjoyed this more. Movie of the year.

Shepard

The only Star Wars movie I've seen is Episode 1. Didn't like it all that much so I never saw the rest. I figure... If I don't like the original, why mess with the rest of the series?

Exactly same story for me. I'm feeling left out :(

You trollin' me?

Game4life

Banned

Episode 4,5,6 are far better. You should see those.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

When you mean Episode 1 do you mean Phantom Menace or A New Hope?

liquidtmd

Banned

75483-Jim-Carrey-OH-COME-ON-gif-ZK0t.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom