• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

I feel like a simple change of only allowing the bactabomb to work on your teammates and not you or letting it work on everyone, including enemies, might just fix it. It's horrible as it is now though.

Seriously, nobody will carry it if it only heals your teammates, like nobody will carries Scout Binoculars. Hardly anybody carries Ion Torpedo in WA, even on an alternate hand, which potentially can turn around most games.

The only solution is to make it heal your opponents, as well, so you don't use it 1 sec before you die and then quickly turn around to kill your opponent while you are invincible.

PrankT

^That's not the only solution. They can make it so that it only replenishes your health to 100 without any invincibility, similar to the adrenaline card.

LoveCake

Seriously, nobody will carry it if it only heals your teammates, like nobody will carries Scout Binoculars. Hardly anybody carries Ion Torpedo in WA, even on an alternate hand, which potentially can turn around most games.

The only solution is to make it heal your opponents, as well, so you don't use it 1 sec before you die and then quickly turn around to kill your opponent while you are invincible.

Tell me about it, on WA as Rebel my second hand, is always Ion Torpedo - Ion Shot - Ion Neutraliser.

As for the Bacta Bomb, I have only used it the number of times to get the upgrade card, I have not used it since, never found a need for it tbh, I have seen a lot using it though, I think it just wastes a card slot.

My default is (now I know people won't like the first card) Dioxis Grenade - Personal Shield - Thermal Detonator, I have sets of others for the second hand, very short range (close quarters) like Scatter Gun - Explosive Shot - Scout Pistol and long range (big maps) Jump Pack - Focus Fire - Pulse Cannon
and others, I have about ten sets in total, I went in one day and spent about fifteen minutes trying to get the best combinations for different scenarios, the Trait I use is either Scout or Bounty Hunter.
Gun/Weapon default is A280C.

Tell me about it, on WA as Rebel my second hand, is always Ion Torpedo - Ion Shot - Ion Neutraliser.
Cycler rifle does decent damage on AT-AT's because you can aim it at the belly of the beast, where it really hurts. You can consistently get +15 per shot, while the Ion Torpedo is on cooldown.

leng jai

The Disruptor card is perhaps the dumbest ability ever in a videogame. I only play Supremacy so I don't see it used that much but there was this one guy yesterday who would use it endlessly. Good god DICE.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, it's the general "cheapness" if the bacta bomb that gets me. And I understand Battlefront is all over the place in balance, but as per the previous discussion bacta bomb has no drawbacks. At least even the jetpack and the personal shield, which can be invaluable in escaping an encounter, aren't foolproof. If you've got the one up on someone and they punch a bacta bomb you're essentially starting from scratch, only with whatever accumulated damage they've dealt to you.

I agree with the opponent heal suggestion.

If you knew then what you know now, would still buy it on PC?

Yes. I don't like playing shooters with a pad, and while I'm sure the console audience is bigger than PC, it still wouldn't make connecting to servers outside of Australia any better.

Basically if my only option to play a multiplayer shooter is on a console it's just not going to happen. I love my consoles but I don't own them for that fix. That's what my PC is for.

The Disruptor card is perhaps the dumbest ability ever in a videogame. I only play Supremacy so I don't see it used that much but there was this one yesterday who would use it endlessly. Good god DICE.

I remember when it first came out and cackling like a madman at how insanely useful it is. I was trying it for the first time on that downloadable endor moon map, equipped with jetpack and scatter gun, armed with the shotgun. I had some of the longest killstreaks I've ever had, jetpacking into groups, smashing disruption, scattergun, and finishing the rest off with the shotgun and melee.

It was awful/wonderful.

The Dude

It's so funny how the trait that all horrible players share is doing a laugh emote after every kill. They end 6-12 or something awful and yet when they catch you at times off guard or in the middle of a battle, or when you have like no hps, they guaranteed every time do the laugh emote. Just noticed it lately

leng jai

The biggest issue with all the cards is that there's literally no drawbacks to using them so there's really no semblance of balance. Charges are super cheap and the cool downs are all low so you can just essentially spam them without worrying about it.

The Dude

The biggest issue with all the cards is that there's literally no drawbacks to using them so so there's really no semblance of balance. Charges are super cheap and the cool downs are all low so you can just essentially spam them without worrying about it.

But they are all fairly yin and yang, I can handle most.. I only find bacta and disruptor to be simply cheap and not card I'd ever use as I just find them weak, but everything else isn't to bad

MrDaravon

Just straight up ragequit for the first time in a long time tonight, I can't deal with how legitimately fucking stupid the weekend kids are on this game. Multiple game modes I am on teams full of complete fucking idiots.

Edit: Oh and to add insult to injury after months of trying I finally was able to successfully tow cable an AT-AT in WA assault, get the success pop-up and everything....and I didn't get the trophy. Definitely feel like I've turned a corner on this game lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just straight up ragequit for the first time in a long time tonight, I can't deal with how legitimately fucking stupid the weekend kids are on this game. Multiple game modes I am on teams full of complete fucking idiots.

Haha, after a long streak of games tonight I pretty much did the same. I've played enough multiplayer games in my life to know what it feels like to be utterly overwhelmed by a team of objectively superior players, and it's okay. I've lost track of the amount of Battlefield matches I've had where the opposition won by an embarrassing quantity of tickets. At least there team incoherence and low skill, frustrating as it may be, can be forgiven. If there's 5 potential points to capture and defend an incoherent team will lose.

Supremacy though...no excuse. Tonight I was the only player, in an AT-ST, trying to capture the second point as the rest of the team somehow failed to lose our final. I recall during that match rushing to the third lost point, I think it is, the one underground, and seeing about 8 of my own team outside on the side, literally just around the corner, playing long range shooty bang bang instead of making any effort to capture.

There's literally no point playing the objective in these kinds of matches. A majority of your team either doesn't care or doesn't know. When the opposition is actually playing to the objective, and they were, you're doomed.

The biggest issue with all the cards is that there's literally no drawbacks to using them so so there's really no semblance of balance. Charges are super cheap and the cool downs are all low so you can just essentially spam them without worrying about it.

Pretty much. And I don't mind in theory. I think Battlefront not being a straight up Battlefield clone, and instead more arcadey, differentiates it nicely. But the balance is terrible. It's a lost cause; no addition of scanning visor is going to change the broken balance, it needs to be rebuilt and redesigned from the ground up.

And I think that's the heart of my disappointment with the game. I don't mind it being simple, I don't mind it avoiding being Star Wars: Battlefield, and I don't mind it being arcadey at all. The shooting still feels really nice. But so many of the items by design and general flow are lazy, unbalanced, and pander to cheap thrills and killstreaks. I guess it's unavoidable when you have stuff like heroes, but maaaaaan fuck bacta bomb and fuck disruption. Even the trait cards are just reminiscent of that Call of Duty staple where the strong/skilled are rewarded and the lesser punished. I firmly believe that's textbook bad multiplayer design. You don't need to elevate the less skilled to match the most, because they're already at a disadvantage. Just let that inherent handicap exist as is. Battlefront is chock full of so much stuff that straight up hands out overpowered junk to the players who are already the most skilled on the server, and that results in a really unpleasant, unrewarding multiplayer experience for everybody else.

Battlefront is probably the game I've bitched and moaned about the most despite still legitimately enjoying it. I guess I just find it frustrating when so much fun can be countered by so much terribleness. From the item imbalances to the obnoxiously dumb objective point bottlenecks. I really, really hope Battlefront 2 manages to elevate the strengths and discard the weaknesses.

It's so funny how the trait that all horrible players share is doing a laugh emote after every kill. They end 6-12 or something awful and yet when they catch you at times off guard or in the middle of a battle, or when you have like no hps, they guaranteed every time do the laugh emote. Just noticed it lately

There's always an exception to the rule.

PintSizedSlasher uses that emote and he's one of the best players i've seen.

Bespin's fighter squadron is a beautiful spectacle, but god it's an unbalanced mess at the same time. I wonder why Dice has never did a balance pass on that mode, especially seeing as the invincibility bug is still so prevalent.

They really need to do something about the spawns on the carbon freezing chamber maps for sabotage. It's just dumb when a Luke manages to get inside of the Imperial spawn zone.

Also, anybody else noticed that Hoth Luke has been bugged? Green saber trails on heavy attack and saber rush as well as RotJ Luke saber sounds.

There's always an exception to the rule.

PintSizedSlasher uses that emote and he's one of the best players i've seen.

You're probably mistaking me for someone else, cause I'm an average player at best :)
I do however use the laugh emote, mostly whenever I headshot someone camping on top of buildings or whenever a player and I keep killing each other.

EatChildren

Speaking of fighter squadron; during areal combat, regardless of mode, does anybody else have a problem where there appears to be visual indicators of hit feedback but no actual damage dealt?

I frequently find myself trailing behind an opponent, fully locked on, hammering my blasters. There's a trail of sequential sparks seemingly aligned with impacts, but the opponent's health does not budge. No shield, no buffs I'm aware of. It's like the game is telling me I'm landing hits but there's no measurable difference.

Lag maybe? It happens a lot, even on local servers.

WillyFive

Speaking of fighter squadron; during areal combat, regardless of mode, does anybody else have a problem where there appears to be visual indicators of hit feedback but no actual damage dealt?

I frequently find myself trailing behind an opponent, fully locked on, hammering my blasters. There's a trail of sequential sparks seemingly aligned with impacts, but the opponent's health does not budge. No shield, no buffs I'm aware of. It's like the game is telling me I'm landing hits but there's no measurable difference.

Happens all the time for me, even in single player. Just buggy code.

LoveCake

Playing now on Bespin - Turning Point as Rebels, the people I am playing with don't know that you have to capture the areas highlighted on the HUD *sigh*

Had a game earlier today of Sabotage and 90% of the team didn't know you could/had to activate the gas generators *sigh*

The problem with this game is not the game, it's how many seem to be playing it, really depressing now.

On the two Sabotage missions on Administrator's Palace and Carbonite Freezing Chambers why don't the Rebels go straight for the "B" gas generators it can be done on Carbonite Freezing Chambers, but on Administrator's Palace "B" in the dome building must be blown first, everybody needs to head to this, many times I am the first Rebel there, trigger the bomb then get killed, everyone seems to leave it to the last one to trigger and by then it is too well fortified it's impossible to breach.

Yes there is a flip side when playing against a team that doesn't know what to do, but then it's no fun as it's too easy.

People keep saying that DICE need to do this and that, imo they need to put up instructions before each match or re-set the game and have players do a trial of each game, really frustrating at times now, I know I have mentioned this a couple of times now, but it seems to be getting worse and worse :(

Definitely not lag. Also happens in Skirmish and it's infuriating. It's god awful when you're shooting at a rebel ship and it seems to be invincible inbetween shield cooldowns.

5taquitos

Playing now on Bespin - Turning Point as Rebels, the people I am playing with don't know that you have to capture the areas highlighted on the HUD *sigh*

Had a game earlier today of Sabotage and 90% of the team didn't know you could/had to activate the gas generators *sigh*

The problem with this game is not the game, it's how many seem to be playing it, really depressing now.

On the two Sabotage missions on Administrator's Palace and Carbonite Freezing Chambers why don't the Rebels go straight for the "B" gas generators it can be done on Carbonite Freezing Chambers, but on Administrator's Palace "B" in the dome building must be blown first, everybody needs to head to this, many times I am the first Rebel there, trigger the bomb then get killed, everyone seems to leave it to the last one to trigger and by then it is too well fortified it's impossible to breach.

Yes there is a flip side when playing against a team that doesn't know what to do, but then it's no fun as it's too easy.

People keep saying that DICE need to do this and that, imo they need to put up instructions before each match or re-set the game and have players do a trial of each game, really frustrating at times now, I know I have mentioned this a couple of times now, but it seems to be getting worse and worse :(

I really don't think it's unrealistic to assume that lots of young children play this game. Like, 6-8 young.

lawnchair

Banned
i do emotes after killing people sometimes and i'm not very good

i also completely disregard the objective in order to get certain challenges done sometimes. im sorry

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
i do emotes after killing people sometimes and i'm not very good

i also completely disregard the objective in order to get certain challenges done sometimes. im sorry
tumblr_lmgced0D2R1qcju70o1_500.gif

I really don't think it's unrealistic to assume that lots of young children play this game. Like, 6-8 young.

It's blessing and a curse. I'm legit happy that the kiddos get to experience the IP in an awesome way (it was my 12 year old's first real online FPS experience which led him to get heavy into Halo5)
That beinguy said, leave your expectations at the door of you're seeking a satisfying battlefield/strategy-like experience

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with some straight up Blast or Droid run...

leng jai

Does anyone frequently get people down to 1HP and then die when using the DLT-19? Happens at least once a match for me, seems ridiculous.

lawnchair

Banned
in my defense i feel like the game kinda forces my hand a little.

like if i need to kill 10 AT-STs, i'm not gonna get that done unless i'm solely focused on killing AT-STs. or i need to kill 10 T-47s, or whatever. so i'm running around in supremacy with ion torpedo trying to blow some shit up first and foremost so i can finish these challenges, and sometimes the objective becomes secondary ...

Orcus

Did they ever go back to Bounty Hunter and, you know, unscrew it. They nerfed it into oblivion in a previous patch.
They nerfed bounty hunter? Shit, how did I miss that, I use it a lot. I know they nerfed berserker, and rightfully so, but not that many people use bounty hunter unless they were doing the jump caster combo back before the bowcaster nerf.

They nerfed bounty hunter? Shit, how did I miss that, I use it a lot. I know they nerfed berserker, and rightfully so, but not that many people use bounty hunter unless they were doing the jump caster combo back before the bowcaster nerf.

Yeah
Bounty Hunter: Modified drop chances and cooldowns - Level 1: 25% Drop chance, Level 2: 50% Drop chance, & Level 3: 50% Drop chance AND 75% cooldown on each kill

I've switched to Scout since then :( When I initially picked up the game drop chances at Level 3 were 85% with cool down being higher as well.

It was fun while it lasted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjmXXRz08oc

The Dude

Anyone else tho find this game to be a complete surprise ultimately? I'm near 250 hours, it's my go to match mode every day.

Im needing a break soon, I just hope Dice makes battlefield 1 just as addicting

LoveCake

I get that younger people play this, sometimes though is does seem that the majority of the team is of this age, which cannot be true, interesting to see what it would be like if they could split the game into "free for all" and "tactical play" and have some sort of algorithm.

in my defense i feel like the game kinda forces my hand a little.

like if i need to kill 10 AT-STs, i'm not gonna get that done unless i'm solely focused on killing AT-STs. or i need to kill 10 T-47s, or whatever. so i'm running around in supremacy with ion torpedo trying to blow some shit up first and foremost so i can finish these challenges, and sometimes the objective becomes secondary ...

I can and do understand this, I have used a specific gun or star-card for Hutt contracts, but I found that this can just be done in regular play, the other missions I just leave them as is and if I see no progress after a few days I click to get another, I will admit that I did try a fair amount of times to get Dengar for that one Hutt mission, but I run about looking for other areas only if the team I am on are storming the game.

I am just having a moan, and each to their own, if played correctly it can be a very good game, about a week ago on Bespin Drop Zone we were 9 - 9 and the remaining ship/pod was the one in the middle and it was very intense and this final ship/pod lasted about fifteen miniutes, my team lost in the end, but it was great fun!

So, with the PlayStation NEO supposedly being revealed a month from now, what do you guys think? Will we see DICE supporting the NEO and release a patch for the PS4 version?

As much as I love the game, some of these 'new' things are just making me want to stop playing.

If you're running bacta bomb, berserker, adrenaline stim or whatnot. You're a fucking twat, and god forbid you use them combined. I literalky have had instances where I thought my internet had gone out cause some douche was tanking a dozen shots, nope, just some guy on berserker..

Then there's the case of the fighter bugs.Dice, you're about to release the Death Star DLC for pete's sake. I got placed on Jakku WA imperial side and it was absolutely impossible to get the rebel fighters to fuck off. Then add the berserker fuckbois on the ground and I simply stop for the rest of the evening.

Oh, as much fun and utter chaos Sabotage is. It's hardly fun to be doing 90% of the work, only to miss out on the hero powerup (especially empire) and be locked out of a win.

If a legit turd gets an important hero (Palpatine can legit clear an entire room with no diff.) theb you can kiss that sweet win goodbye.

MrDaravon

I don't think think I've seen a single person today who understands how to play Droid Run. I'm going like 3-4+ K/D with the most activations/defends pretty much every game but haven't won a single game because all of my teams are going 3-15 and running past droids.

whyyyyyyyy

Take that back, the T21 rules! ;p It's significantly outclassed at short range, by it's pretty damn good in medium to long range engagements. It does a lot of damage per bullet, but don't rely on keeping the trigger down. You need to tap fire it.
The amount of recoil for a long range weapon is disgusting. I'd take the EE-3 over it anyday

EatChildren

Opponents with disruption and bacta bomb *cuts*

I'm playing a lot more supremacy these days and enjoying it, even if too has its moments of horseshit. Walker Assault and Turning Point reign supreme due to the multiple capture points. Supremacy gets a bit dumb bottleneck for my liking on some maps, but a really tight game of Supremacy is a ton of fun. Really feels like a constant crazy battle of frontlines.

I think what hinders Supremacy in some maps is DICE's textbook terrible level design, namely the corridors. Every time I spawn indoors on Sullist I want to gouge out my eyes. It's straight up bad game design.

Tattooine seems like one of the better Supremacy maps. It has its interiors but they've multiple entry/exit points and generally the map has a good flow. I like it as a Walker Assault map too. I'm also really fond of the DLC Endor map too.

Definitely not lag. Also happens in Skirmish and it's infuriating. It's god awful when you're shooting at a rebel ship and it seems to be invincible inbetween shield cooldowns.

Happens all the time for me, even in single player. Just buggy code.

Bugger. Yeah, must be buggy code. Very frustrating :(

Twice since release have I gotten Lando, twice have I spawned in the fucking open with an At-ST straight on top of me. No chance, die in under 5 seconds.

It's either this shit or tokens disappearing once I get there or some asshole enemy hero sitting on it.

Also, people spawning on each other in combat? Being able to shoot me while being invincible. Spaghetti code at its finest.

I
Tattooine seems like one of the better Supremacy maps. It has its interiors but they've multiple entry/exit points and generally the map has a good flow. I like it as a Walker Assault map too. I'm also really fond of the DLC Endor map too.
(
Survivors of Endor is a terrible map for Supremacy -- the center capture point is a bad meat grinder that favors the Imps too much because of bias spawning and terrain. To make matters worse the subsequent capture point for the Imps is far too close and difficult to defend.

Top Bottom