• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

I wanted spaces battles, but not the shallow ass game modes we got. I wanted something similar to Battlefront 2. Where you can land in the enemy ships. I mean it could have worked out perfectly:

Each side has their capital ship. In order to land in it you have to destroy the shield generators. After the shield generators are destroyed you can land in it, and have to fight your way to the engine room or whatever and plant a bomb.

Something like that would be fun.

5taquitos

Were they really? I wouldn't have thought FS was that popular, on account of it being complete shit

Lack of space battles was one of the most common complaints after release, though what most people wanted was the ability to fight between and on capital ships. This release sort of scratches that itch, but not in the way most people wanted originally.

MADGAME

People were asking for space battles, yes, but more in the sense of a space backdrop for fighter squadron with some interactive elements (Star Destroyers/Capital Ships, asteroids, etc.)

No one aske for a full-blown DLC pack to revolve almost exclusively around it. Especially for Death Star that truly deserves internal map love.

Someone on Reddit found unfinished code for flyable B-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Bombers, and TIE Defender, so they'll likely become flyable by the next major patch!

Also, I'm actually a big fan of the two fighter squadron modes in Battle Station, I think they're the two best maps for FS yet.
I need me some B-wing pew pews. Make the ships awesome, Dice!

Orcus

I sure hope so, the combination of both disruption and bacta just utterly ruins the second phase for me as I refuse to use them myself. We had R2 in one of the narrow corridors near the catwalks and it was just a non-stop spam fest in terms of disruption and bacta bombs. Worst additions to the game and I had my fingers crossed they would get removed, alas.
(Better nerf scout)

Just, ugh. I love it how I am chasing other fighters non-stop while they take absolutely zero damage, and there have been cases where I was right behind them and nothing, and meanwhile I get literally obliterated in such a disgusting small amount of time, it makes zero sense.

I have had this exact same experience. I'm on someone for over 5 seconds with little to no damage, but obvious graphical indications of hitting them. Yet, I seem to get dropped in under a second. It's worse when they are moving perpendicular to you. I've tried manual aiming, leading more, and tap firing the lock on, but my TTK seems dramatically higher than the people who are killing me. Not sure what's going on here, but I feel like It feels like I'm missing an essential gameplay mechanic in the air combat post DLC. Prior to the patch I was usually top of the leader board or near the top. Now I'm bottom third.

The cards in this game just do not allow for fun corridor game play, and it's sad. I doubt I'll play this mode much at all, and I expect it to have the shortest lived server population of all the DLCs.

They need to fix the 5 hero exploit. If your team is not using it, which you can't control, then it's an automatic loss. It ruins walker assault and supremacy. At least turning point is unaffected. People should try out the turning point mode more until this exploit is patched. I think it's the most under rated mode in the game.

Palpable

I'm using Scout, but when I get killstreaks I'm getting power ups as if I'm using bounty hunter. I even swapped traits to see if it still does this, and it does. This happen to anyone else?

5taquitos

I'm using Scout, but when I get killstreaks I'm getting power ups as if I'm using bounty hunter. I even swapped traits to see if it still does this, and it does. This happen to anyone else?
All traits drop powerups at level 3 now, bounty hunter affects cool downs instead.

I hate flight modes in this (as someone who is a HUGE Warhawk pro-flight mode mark).

I feel like I'm on a bigwheel being chased by a car when trying to dodge attacks. And fuck, I can't even figure out how to attack efficiently.
Edit: oh, I hold lock on for regular fire too. Thanks tutorial.

Still, defense is a pain.

Is there an invincibility bug with Fighter Squadron? Someone just went 24-0 in an X-wing, everytime I'd get his HP low, he'd pop a shield and get all his health back

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
My friend and I decided to jump on after what is probably like 4-5 months since we last played.

Everything seems to be made of paper, I don't know if because we are playing at 1am we are being shoved into US servers or something, but it feels like everything dies super quickly. Went back on fighter squadron, I seem to be locked on but completely missing ships for whatever reason, which is then followed by immediately exploding due to a passing enemy and a random shot.

It's still somewhat enjoyable, but if it didn't have a Star Wars skin we probably would have never come back to it. We joked that Battlefront might be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin before the game came out, but sometimes I kinda wish we got that after playing it some more.

Still, will jump on again tomorrow during the day and see how it is then.

Orcus

My friend and I decided to jump on after what is probably like 4-5 months since we last played.

Everything seems to be made of paper, I don't know if because we are playing at 1am we are being shoved into US servers or something, but it feels like everything dies super quickly. Went back on fighter squadron, I seem to be locked on but completely missing ships for whatever reason, which is then followed by immediately exploding due to a passing enemy and a random shot.

It's still somewhat enjoyable, but if it didn't have a Star Wars skin we probably would have never come back to it. We joked that Battlefront might be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin before the game came out, but sometimes I kinda wish we got that after playing it some more.

Still, will jump on again tomorrow during the day and see how it is then.
We are legion, feel our suffering!

Ozorov

What maps do you guys think Battlefront "does best"? If we skip weird spawning points and just think about the map design.

Palpable

Rofl the new blasters are so fucking overpowered. If you thought the DL44 was OP when the game came out, play against a team using the new ones spamming the charge blasts. Who's in charge of this shit? They're fucking ruining the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Put in another couple of hours tonight. It's insanely gorgeous but outside of that complete fucking shit.

So leas disruption spam so far, I really like the TL50.

Chewbacca bowcaster spam drops frames like mad.

But dear god, the trench run assigning pilots mechanic NEEDS TO GO. I always get chosen when I have 6 guys on my tail or am near death, it's so utterly retarded. Or you get the guy who has no clue and just flies around not getting killed.

Give them a hero like transition, not in the trench, but near it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why did they remove the helmetless troopers?

EDIT: Oh.

Appearance: With the arrival of the Imperial Officers, the certification for Stormtroopers to remove their helmets in combat has been withdrawn.

Fuck the DICE shitshow that is this game and its updates. I miss the build just prior to the release of Outer Rim, where the weapons had gone through several balance phases, jetpack was properly up to scratch with balanced cooldown, and the loadouts weren't bloated with idiotic items that have now ruined the encounter metagame. The game just gets progressively worse.

You are actually complaining about them getting rid of helmetless stormtroopers? What?

I don't think either of the new guns are overpowered. They are both very good, but weapons like the E-11 and EE-3 still outshine them.

I've noticed a lot less people using Bacta Bomb since the update too.

EatChildren

Helmetless troopers was a harmless addition to a video game that already plays loose with strict canon for the sake of fun and I liked it.

leng jai

Helmetless troopers was a harmless addition to a video game that already plays loose with strict canon for the sake of fun and I liked it.

Helmetless Storm Troopers was awful from a gameplay perspective and made zero sense in the context of the movies either. Just a stupid decision in the first place that they allowed it. The customisation is non existent anyway so there was literally no reason for it to be a thing in the game.

EatChildren

I have had zero issue differentiating soldier teams due to the striking difference in body colours/tones/outfits that make a vast majority of the figure. It's been a non-issue since day one. The game has been out for ten months, and they chose to cut it now.

Yeah, put me in the unnecessary cut pile.

bitoriginal

Quite disappointed with the new dlc. Had so much potential as well. Battle Station first phase is dull, second phase is just a grenade spam cluster fuck (although I do enjoy that stage) and the trench run bit at the end usually ends with me getting instantly destroyed, especially as Empire.

The worst offender of all? The long loading time from stage to stage. Bespin and Outer Rim were much better than this.

Also, where the fuck is Supremacy in these DLCs? By far the best mode in the game and it's been completely ignored. Wish I could play some of these new maps on the vanilla selection screen.

WillyFive

Removing helmetless stormtroopers was one of the best things DICE has done to the game. Not only did it make it more accurate, it improved gameplay drastically.

That said, I still laugh when someone says this game is accurate to Star Wars when there are a whole bunch of people flying about with jet packs.

I think the guys that created the assets were huge Star Wars fans, but those that implemented it (like gameplay and level designers) were like "this goes here right? Who cares..."

EatChildren

How did it improve the gameplay?

Lulu23

Don't like this DLC at all, didn't really like Outer Rim and found Bespin to be almost okay-ish.
Bought the Season Pass because I liked DICE's past DLCs and season passes, but this one looks like it wasn't really worth my money. I was hoping for a Star Wars Battlefield to much, which only the Vanilla game and free DLC.have been delivering at least a little bit.

WillyFive

Yeah, the DLC that has been delivered so far feels like it should have been part of the base game, not something that goes in addition to it.

How did it improve the gameplay?

It's now easier to tell which one is a Rebel and who is Imperial as they run across the screen, a problem that I've been seeing since the game launched.

EatChildren

I'm legit surprised anybody has this problem given an overwhelming majority of the Imperial/Rebel character profile, the body, was always strikingly different. It's something I've never considered or had an issue on my end.

I guess if people were having a hard time distinguishing opponents in scenarios like you describe then a full white/black body would indeed make it easier to identify targets quickly.

Bespin was the only paid DLC so far that I really enjoyed. Sabotage on Administrator's Palace and Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Turning Point on Cloud City are fantastic.

Hopefully Scarif is all large modes with large, open maps.

WillyFive

I'm legit surprised anybody has this problem given an overwhelming majority of the Imperial/Rebel character profile, the body, was always strikingly different. It's something I've never considered or had an issue on my end.

I guess if people were having a hard time distinguishing opponents in scenarios like you describe then a full white/black body would indeed make it easier to identify targets quickly.
It was an unnecessary barrier to simple target acquisition. It was never strikingly different, especially in maps like Hoth, where one had to aim at a character first to see if the blue username popped up to see if it was friendly or not, because both had white bodies with no helmet.

EatChildren

It was an unnecessary barrier to simple target acquisition. It was never strikingly different, especially in maps like Hoth, where one had to aim at a character first to see if the blue username popped up to see if it was friendly or not, because both had white bodies with no helmet.

I have literally never had this problem. But *shrug* if it helps others so be it.

Bespin was the only paid DLC so far that I really enjoyed. Sabotage on Administrator's Palace and Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Turning Point on Cloud City are fantastic.

Hopefully Scarif is all large modes with large, open maps.

I am hoping that Scarif is going to be the big land assault mode, something akin to the final phase of Hoth WA. Maybe three of those AT-ACT will come at you.

r98bO2e.gif

Tight spawns!

If only I could choke people for their incompetence. Good credits though I guess.

nillah

Banned
Going forward I'd have all the modes supported in the DLC expansions. And for whatever reason HvV in the outter rim has 4 on each side and overall larger player count but who knows what they'll do.

Stormtroopers are supposed to be faceless footsoldiers.

Now, you can pick your head with the Death Star trooper and the Imperial Officer. I can't wait until level 90 to get the Imp Officer.

MADGAME

Oh Dennis, you are so full of shit. Nobody said they just wanted to play ONE mode on Bespin.

So that's your excuse for giving fans one game mode consisting 2/3 of the least popular mode?
Seriously. I know he can't blatantly say "This is all the team could complete before the deadline", but he could of been a bit more tactful with this statement. Overall I think he's a good ambassador to the community but this was a stumble.

I think he misinterpreted the fact that people wanted to be able to be in a Sabotage only playlist with Bespin for people only wanting Sabotage.

The TL-50 has overtaken the T-21 as my favorite heavy blaster. Its a headshot machine and at Berserker level 2 and 3 it melts people.

The E-11 is still my favorite overall gun though.

What maps do you guys think Battlefront "does best"? If we skip weird spawning points and just think about the map design.

Some of my favorite map/mode combos are:

Walker Assault - Tatooine and vanilla Hoth
Extraction - Jabba's palace (which is one of my favorite maps period)
Dropzone - Sullust and Dune Sea Exchange
Fighter Squadron - Star Destroyer (it's getting better and better the more I play it)

Aw yeah!

Top Bottom