• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars DVD: Partial Packaging + More new shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DJ Demon J said:
Somehow I find it hard to believe you, Goreomedy.

I wondered what the motivation of your question was. Did you have that reply typed out, and ready to be pasted before I even responded?

Tell me, oh cynical one, what is hard to believe?

Goreomedy said:
I refuse to see Episode 3 in any form, theatrical, video, or cable.

Sure you won't.

rolleyes2.gif

But, someone does need to take all directing, writing, and overseeing of DVD production responsibilities away from Lucas. He's gone mad.

Goreomedy said:
I wondered what the motivation of your question was. Did you have that reply typed out, and ready to be pasted before I even responded?

Tell me, oh cynical one, what is hard to believe?

I just find it hard to believe that, being such a fan of Indy Jones that you are, that you feel Lucas is "such an ass", and that you're really not a SW fan that is getting pissed over stupid shit like Greedo firing first. Who the fuck cares? It's Lucas' creation, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
YES DIE STAR WARS DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

er *cough* sorry

sucks to be a star wars geek these days huh.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DJ Demon J said:
I just find it hard to believe that, being such a fan of Indy Jones that you are, that you feel Lucas is "such an ass", and that you're really not a SW fan that is getting pissed over stupid shit like Greedo firing first. Who the fuck cares? It's Lucas' creation, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

I consider Indy to be Spielberg's baby.

I will give Lucas props for one thing, pertaining to the Jones series. He killed a script that would have paved the way for Kevin Costner to play Indy's brother in part 4.

Why do I care about Lucas's treatment of his own franchise, if I'm not a rabid Star Wars fan? Because I'm able to step outside of myself and consider someone else's point of view. Maybe grow up a little, DJ, and leave the "if you defend someone, you must be one of them!" mentailty behind.

Goreomedy said:
I consider Indy to be Spielberg's baby.

I will give Lucas props for one thing, pertaining to the Jones series. He killed a script that would have paved the way for Kevin Costner to play Indy's brother in part 4.

Why do I care about Lucas's treatment of his own franchise, if I'm not a rabid Star Wars fan?

Why are you so concerned over the SW film changes, if you "hate the films"?

The only issues at stake here are changing SW geek shit (adding the new Anakin actor's face, a new Emperor's face, changing Greedo/Han scene)...all of these things are being done by Lucas to meet his own vision of the films?

Tabris

The only scene I really dislike being changed is Han not shooting first.

Takes away from his character.

Luke screaming, eh, I can live with it.
Hayden appearing at the end, I can live with it.

Otherwise, everything else I enjoyed. Including the musical scene in ROTJ.

So my solution is when that scene comes up, I'll just close my eyes and imagine Han shooting first. Ignorance is bliss :)

mattx5

I was able to live with Greedo shooting first.

I was able to live with Luke screaming like a whiny bitch.

I was able to live with ANH Jabba.

I was able to live with a fucking dance number in ROTJ.

But I cannot live with a young Anakin at the end of ROTJ.

Why the fuck do you need to replace a wise, old Anakin ghost with a fucking rosy, baby faced Hayden? (btw, I have nothing against the prequels or Hayden) TALK ABOUT KILLING THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOOD!

I love Star Wars to death, but this is just unacceptable. I refuse to buy these new DVDs, as tempting as they may be.

Fuck you Lucas, you fucking hack!

BojTrek

Banned
I cannot accept the Greedo shooting first... it does change the whole "Han has changed his ways" at the end of A New Hope. A rebel who decided to become a team member...

I hope they change the Jabba in A New Hope... it is just plain-old BAD...

The scream I don't care about...

The Emperor change is cool, I always hated the bug-eyed freak...

I don't like the Hayden change because... aw fuck it...

I give in, I will buy them all... FUCK!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
mattx5 said:
Why the fuck do you need to replace a wise, old Anakin ghost with a fucking rosy, baby faced Hayden? (btw, I have nothing against the prequels or Hayden) TALK ABOUT KILLING THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOOD!

The end to ROTJ was so bloody cheesy to begin with! I think I've watched the movie like 40 times and have only seen the ending once or twice. :s

I'll accept everything EXCEPT that goddamn Anakin fix. I understand that Lucas wants to show that Anakin died in episode 3 and Vader's redemption brings back Anakin... but frankly I think seeing Anakin as an old man watchin his son looks ten times better. The Father and Son relationship feels stronger this way.

BojTrek said:
I cannot accept the Greedo shooting first... it does change the whole "Han has changed his ways" at the end of A New Hope. A rebel who decided to become a team member...

I hope they change the Jabba in A New Hope... it is just plain-old BAD...

The scream I don't care about...

The Emperor change is cool, I always hated the bug-eyed freak...

I don't like the Hayden change because... aw fuck it...

I give in, I will buy them all... FUCK!!

I concur. Although not sure if I'll buy this collection. I hated I and II, and I never rented or bought them on DVD and have absolutely zero desire to do so. But still undecided about getting these.

mattx5

The Bookerman said:
I'll accept everything EXCEPT that goddamn Anakin fix. I understand that Lucas wants to show that Anakin died in episode 3 and Vader's redemption brings back Anakin... but frankly I think seeing Anakin as an old man watchin his son looks ten times better. The Father and Son relationship feels stronger this way.

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how I feel.

It actually makes me feel bad for the guy who played Anakin in the original film. Sure, he didn't have a huge part obviously, but now he's being entirely removed from a huge movie. I'd be pretty upset if I were him lol.

Reminds me of the guy in the Vader suit... How he supposedly did all the lines and then they dubbed over him with James Earl Jones without telling him.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DJ Demon J said:
Why are you so concerned over the SW film changes, if you "hate the films"?

Because I'm a film purist.

And, I can ask myself, "How would I feel if the directors of my favorite features were motivated by greed and insecurity to update them nonsensically?"

Films are important to people. I understand that. In fact, I count on it for my bread and butter. So when film fans react strongly to the alienation of someone like Lucas, I can respect their frustration.

I can understand them using Hayden as the new spirit. I mean if Anakin truly dies and is brought back to life on the darkside then his spirit would be that of the age when he died. So his spirit shouldn't age at all because it is a a spirit. i think it adds to the whole tortured aspect of Vader/Anakin having a mechanical body that is keeping him alive and trapping his spirit within.

My biggest beef was the Han shooting first scene getting nixed and the new musical number in Jabba's Palace.

Doc Savage said:
I can understand them using Hayden as the new spirit. I mean if Anakin truly dies and is brought back to life on the darkside then his spirit would be that of the age when he died. So his spirit shouldn't age at all because it is a a spirit. i think it adds to the whole tortured aspect of Vader/Anakin having a mechanical body that is keeping him alive and trapping his spirit within.

Sure but seeing your dad's spirit from when he was 20.... and you're 26... it's kinda odd... and dumb.

BuddyC

The Bookerman said:
Sure but seeing your dad's spirit from when he was 20.... and you're 26... it's kinda odd... and dumb.

<starwarsnerd> According to the timelines Google found for me, Luke was 22 during ROTJ, not 26. I'll have to check the SW Encyclopedia when I get home.

It also appears that Anakin was 20-22 when he "died."</starwarsnerd>

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BuddyChrist83 said:
I can't accept Luke's scream. That's about it, everything else I can tolerate.

me too... isn't it the exact same scream they used for the emperor's fall?

BuddyC

Dreamfixx said:
What "scream" are you guys talking about?

end of ESB.

Vader has just revealed that he is Luke's father, Luke is hanging onto the girder, Vader offers a partnership. Luke calmly accepts his fate and lets go, falling out of Cloud City and eventually catching on one of the vanes.

In the SE, Lucas added a scream as Luke falls. It's weird, Luke gets a calm look on his face, the music reflects that he's made his decision, and then he's screaming :/

Tabris

Man, you guys make Star Wars depressing for me.

It's impossible to find a thread about Star Wars without someone hating on it.

Everyone is just always whining about it, no matter the scenario. Sure, I may not like some things, but the constant whining just gives a sour taste to everything else. You're giving me a cynic view of it when I don't want that. :p Damn you jaded people!

...and yes, I realize it's my own fault if I let someone else's opinions affect my own, but when you're constantly bombared with "man, this change sucks" or "this prequel sucks". Every time you view it, you think of those opinions, and then the nitpicking begins. You can find flaws in anything if you nitpick every single aspect about it

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>The discs look like this:<<<

LOL. It just seems wrong to have the poster art for the original versions printed on these hackjobs.

ShadowRed

Banned
"Man, you guys make Star Wars depressing for me.

It's impossible to find a thread about Star Wars without someone hating on it.

Everyone is just always whining about it, no matter the scenario. Sure, I may not like some things, but the constant whining just gives a sour taste to everything else. You're giving me a cynic view of it when I don't want that. Damn you jaded people!

...and yes, I realize it's my own fault if I let someone else's opinions affect my own, but when you're constantly bombared with "man, this change sucks" or "this prequel sucks". Every time you view it, you think of those opinions, and then the nitpicking begins. You can find flaws in anything if you nitpick every single aspect about it"

Thank fucking you man. Someone else in this thread with so sense. I admit that I scratched my head when I saw the changes Lucas made in the films, but again he has changed nothing about the theme or the mood of the films. So what if Han doesn't shoot first, it changes nothing about his character or make it seem less plausible that he would come back to help Luke at the end of ANH.

BuddyC

ShadowRed said:
So what if Han doesn't shoot first, it changes nothing about his character or make it seem less plausible that he would come back to help Luke at the end of ANH.

Actually, it does. Before, Han could be seen as slaughtering Greedo needlessly, while this time he's shooting for his life. I'd say that changes the character of Han Solo, somewhat.

ShadowRed

Banned
"Actually, it does. Before, Han could be seen as slaughtering Greedo needlessly, while this time he's shooting for his life. I'd say that changes the character of Han Solo, somewhat."

Huh are we watching the same Star Wars? Greedo was going to turn Han over to Jabba, dead or alive, so if Han shoots first he's defending himself, the same as when Greedo shoots first. He doesn't slaughter anyone. If anything the shooting first Han would be IMO less likely to come back for Luke. I mean if he's really this heartless slaughter as you seem to think he is because he shoots first, then why would he come back and help luke. in fact if he was really this bad ass that people try to make him out to be, then he would have shot Luke and then went to the Emoire and requested a reward for helping them out.

KingGondo

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Actually, it does. Before, Han could be seen as slaughtering Greedo needlessly, while this time he's shooting for his life. I'd say that changes the character of Han Solo, somewhat.

IAWTP

BuddyC

ShadowRed said:
Huh are we watching the same Star Wars? Greedo was going to turn Han over to Jabba, dead or alive, so if Han shoots first he's defending himself, the same as when Greedo shoots first. He doesn't slaughter anyone. If anything the shooting first Han would be IMO less likely to come back for Luke. I mean if he's really this heartless slaughter as you seem to think he is because he shoots first, then why would he come back and help luke. in fact if he was really this bad ass that people try to make him out to be, then he would have shot Luke and then went to the Emoire and requested a reward for helping them out.

That was the whole point, you don't expect Han to come back. The fact that he does signals a change in his character, originally symbolized when the Millenium Falcon was destroyed during the original ending of ROTJ. Han was supposed to start out as a renegade and slowly evolve into a sacrificing hero, one who would live happily ever after with Leia. Now he starts out as a less of a renegade, and more of someone with loyalties. The entire purpose was to show, initially, Han only cared about himself, Chewie, and the Falcon.

Han didn't have to kill Greedo, he could have escaped, used stun, etc. Instead he killed him in cold blood.

In the SE, since Greedo shoots first, Han has to shoot for his life.

ShadowRed

Banned
"Han didn't have to kill Greedo, he could have escaped, used stun, etc. Instead he killed him in cold blood."

What the holy hell are you talking about? Han sitting in a bar on a hostile planet known for lawlessness, where seconds before another guy/alien shoots another guy/alien in plain veiw of everyone and no one flinches are asks why he shot the other dude, with a bounty on his head from the biggest crime boss in the system, when a bounty hunter sits down and tells Han he is going to take him back to Jabba and collect the reward, "dead or alive." and you think Han could have gotten out pf there without killing him. Again and in capitals, WHAT THE HOLY HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!! In either instance weather he shots first or after Greedo, he is doing so in self defense not because he's a bad ass killer.

BuddyC

ShadowRed said:
What the holy hell are you talking about? Han sitting in a bar on a hostile planet known for lawlessness, where seconds before another guy/alien shoots another guy/alien in plain veiw of everyone and no one flinches are asks why he shot the other dude, with a bounty on his head from the biggest crime boss in the system, when a bounty hunter sits down and tells Han he is going to take him back to Jabba and collect the reward, "dead or alive." and you think Han could have gotten out pf there without killing him. Again and in capitals, WHAT THE HOLY HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!! In either instance weather he shots first or after Greedo, he is doing so in self defense not because he's a bad ass killer.

There is more than one solution to every problem, all I have to say. Oh, and it's also retarded because Greedo misses when he's no more than two feet away from Solo. You're complaining that Han had to kill Greedo, but how in the fuck did he miss Han?!

BuddyC

ShadowRed said:
in fact if he was really this bad ass that people try to make him out to be, then he would have shot Luke and then went to the Emoire and requested a reward for helping them out.

who's to say that Han's original plan wasn't to see who could offer him more of a reward? He could have planned to betray Luke & co. at any time, but before he could get the payment fro Luke/Obi Want he'd witnessed the evil of the Empire (Alderaan) and become infatuated with his lady.

ShadowRed

Banned
"There is more than one solution to every problem, all I have to say. Oh, and it's also retarded because Greedo misses when he's no more than two feet away from Solo. You're complaining that Han had to kill Greedo, but how in the fuck did he miss Han?!"

MY GOD, WHY ME!!!!! How the hell does 50 million storm troopers keep missing Han and Luke or any major character for what it's worth, when they seem to kill other people with one shot. BECAUSE IT'S IN THE SCRIPT, BECAUSE THE GOOD GUYS ALWAYS HIT THEIR TARGET AND THE BAD GUYS ALWAYS MISS THE HERO. As again you make an other point for the change to Han shoot second. In the revision Han moves his head and returns fire, had he not moved his head he would have been dead. So see Lucas is explaing to all you anal fanboys why Greedo missed Han from 2 feet away. Stop being so ungrateful.

BuddyC

ShadowRed said:
MY GOD, WHY ME!!!!! How the hell does 50 million storm troopers keep missing Han and Luke or any major character for what it's worth, when they seem to kill other people with one shot. BECAUSE IT'S IN THE SCRIPT, BECAUSE THE GOOD GUYS ALWAYS HIT THEIR TARGET AND THE BAD GUYS ALWAYS MISS THE HERO. As again you make an other point for the change to Han shoot second. In the revision Han moves his head and returns fire, had he not moved his head he would have been dead. So see Lucas is explaing to all you anal fanboys why Greedo missed Han from 2 feet away. Stop being so ungrateful.

Ungrateful? Oh trust me, with all the merchandising I've purchased, I'm far from being ungrateful to padding Lucas' wallet.

Oh, and the "it's a movie" explanation would work a shit-load better if Lucas hadn't left Han shooting first for almost 20 years.

Socreges

Banned
Triumph: Oh, look at theese. You're expecting a baby?

Lady: Yes, future nerd. Future Jedi.

Triumph: Ah yes. It's just too bad that's the last time he'll ever see female genitalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom