• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars DVD: Partial Packaging + More new shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol.jpg

cvxfreak

As for Han/Greedo...

WHO GIVES A DAMN WHO ****ING SHOT FIRST! NO ONE GAVE A DAMN DURING LEXINGTON AND CONCORD AND NO ONE GIVES A DAMN NOW!!!!!

Socreges

Banned
What are the odds that Hayden Christensen has a similar voice to James Earl Jones? Good?? Because Jones will be doing the voice of Darth Vader in Episode III. It'll be interesting seeing that transition.

Shit, I still haven't seen Episode II. I'd like to. Kind of like how you run outside after hearing a car wreck.

Socreges said:
What are the odds that Hayden Christensen has a similar voice to James Earl Jones? Good?? Because Jones will be doing the voice of Darth Vader in Episode III. It'll be interesting seeing that transition.

Shit, I still haven't seen Episode II. I'd like to. Kind of like how you run outside after hearing a car wreck.

exactly!

If they have keept the old anakin at that shot then it had atleast feelt like he has a deep voice, and one of the resons why i dont like that shot with the young anakin standign next to yoda and obi is that i HATE the new prequals EP I SUCKED! Darth Maul was the reson why i watched it!

EPII fine it was better than EPI but still bad!

lets hope that Lucas does not screw up the last Episode if he does then i will pretend that only starwars EP IV, V and VI exists!

I feel bad when I say that I wasn't bothered that much by the prequels and no agrees. I never saw them as ruining the original films, just expanding the story. The edits for the DVDs are mind numbing, but eh I can live with them.

Heh, I even have some hope for EPIII and anticipation for it. It'll be my favorite film for 2005 regardless of whatever else is out. *shrugs*

Dead

well not really...yet
The problem with the prequels for me is:

Atrocious acting - im usually tolerant of bad acting and usually doesnt deter my liking of genre films, but in these movies, good lord...the acting is horribly horribly bad, surprisngly these are good actors too. George is a horrible actors director, and this has been know for a while. obviously poor scripts dont help the matter much.

jar jar binks + gungans + other atrociously silly CGi creatures - 'nuff said

Thats basically it for me....

DeadStar said:
The problem with the prequels for me is:

Atrocious acting - im usually tolerant of bad acting and usually doesnt deter my liking of genre films, but in these movies, good lord...the acting is horribly horribly bad, surprisngly these are good actors too. George is a horrible actors director, and this has been know for a while. obviously poor scripts dont help the matter much.

jar jar binks + gungans + other atrociously silly CGi creatures - 'nuff said

Thats basically it for me....

yeah Hayden cant pull of a good scene, its emberassing i think he ruined the movie!
i wanted Anakin to be bad ass but this Anakin just sucks!

lets pray that he took acting classes before the shooting of EpIII

Substance

To restate Deadstar's point, the actors in the prequels are talented and capable of their roles, but fault is usually placed on Lucas' characterisation.
Christensen's acting talent should not be dismissed. He succeeded with the right nervous energy when starring in the critically acclaimed indie film the previous year named 'Shattered Glass'. And 'Life as a House', while not the best of films, was mostly recognised for its performances, to which Hayden convincingly worked with a brooding edge. If you ask me, his skills should not be put into question.
Eh, sure, he was more whiny than angry in select scenes of Ep.2 but like many have already said, Luke had to have gained that brattiness somewhere.

Dead

well not really...yet
Substance said:
To restate Deadstar's point, the actors in the prequels are talented and capable of the roles, but fault is usually placed on Lucas' characterisation.
Christensen's acting talent should not be dismissed. He succeeded with the right nervous energy when starring in the critically acclaimed indie film the previous year named 'Shattered Glass'. And 'Life as a House', while not the best of films, was mostly recognised for its performances, to which Hayden convincingly worked with a brooding edge. If you ask me, his skills should be put into question.
Eh, sure, he was more whiny than angry in select scenes of Ep.2 but like many have already said, Luke had to have gained that brattiness somewhere.
Yes, he was rather good in Life as a House, I havent seen shattered glass though...

Substance said:
To restate Deadstar's point, the actors in the prequels are talented and capable of their roles, but fault is usually placed on Lucas' characterisation.QUOTE]

Fine i know Lucas has a problem with characterisations and what he wrote for EP II was the most stiff dialog i have ever heard.
but its not ONLY up the director to make the actor act out his role!

an actor has to be able to show emotions,if he is sad or happy and many other diffrent emotions but hayden coul not pull it off!

in some scenes he is so bad that a first year acting student could pull it of better!
the one in charge of casting for EpII should take alook at what she/he have done !

he has to have a talent for getting in to his character and hayden did not pull it of in EpII IMO!

Tritroid

Socreges said:

He isn't supposed to have a voice similar to Jones. The original Anakin actor (old version) didn't have a voice that was similar to Jones' either.

It's the mask that makes him have such a low voice, it's not how he actually sounds.

Tritroid

DarthWufei said:
Ah, forgot about that:: http://koti.mbnet.fi/dukeirot/ep3/HanSoloVersusGreedo2004.wmv

Got it from the MF boards.
That actually does look a lot better than the SE cut. His head no longer jerks in convulsions. It still doesn't explain how Greedo could have missed at point blank range though. :p

I wish he hadn't adjusted this scene at all frankly. It gave Solo that 'badass' atmosphere, and having Greedo shoot first takes away some of that.

evil ways

Tritroid said:
That actually does look a lot better than the SE cut. His head no longer jerks in convulsions. It still doesn't explain how Greedo could have missed at point blank range though. :p

I wish he hadn't adjusted this scene at all frankly. It gave Solo that 'badass' atmosphere, and having Greedo shoot first takes away some of that.

You had to have read the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia to know Greedo is/was a terrible shot.

Tritroid

evil ways said:
You had to have read the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia to know Greedo is/was a terrible shot.
Either way, anyone could have hit Han from where Greedo was sitting. I can understand him being a bad shot from distances while he's moving, but he's sitting down with his target motionless right in front of him. Yet somehow he manages to shoot completely off to his right? Unless he's got a broken wrist that never fully healed and causes him to hold his gun off center to the right, that makes no sense.

Boogie

evil ways said:

Yeah, but I'm guessing that was written AFTER the Special edition was made, as some sort of weak excuse/explanation for it. :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Tritroid said:
It still doesn't explain how Greedo could have missed at point blank range though. :p
I don't know, I'd probably miss. I'd get all tense and think to myself, "All right, you're going to do it...any second now...be quick about it...GO!" and then I'd whip my gun out all wildly due to being so nervous and keyed-up and I'd probably shoot one of the members of that stupid shitty band that was playing instead of Han.

Tritroid

human5892 said:
I don't know, I'd probably miss. I'd get all tense and think to myself, "All right, you're going to do it...any second now...be quick about it...GO!" and then I'd whip my gun out all wildly due to being so nervous and keyed-up and I'd probably shoot one of the members of that stupid shitty band that was playing instead of Han.
His blaster was already out though. He had it pointed at Han the entire time. Meaning he had the perfect opportunity to fricking aim the thing if he wanted. I could understand whipping it out and missing, but this is just unrealistic.

Phoenix

Boogie said:
Actually no. I'm a self-admitted Star Wars geek, yes. I would have bought it. I would have bought it with the Emperor changed in ESB. I would have bought it even with the crap from the Special Editions. But with this change, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I am not buying the Star Wars DVD. This is where I draw the line.

He corrupts our franchise, and we fall back. He rearranged entire scenes, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE. This far NO farther. And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

ShadowRed

Banned
Phoenix said:
He corrupts our franchise, and we fall back. He rearranged entire scenes, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE. This far NO farther. And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

You have some balls quoting Capt. Picard in a Star Wars thread. By the way best Star Trek monologue ever.

Substance

robertsan21 said:
Substance said:
To restate Deadstar's point, the actors in the prequels are talented and capable of their roles, but fault is usually placed on Lucas' characterisation.QUOTE]

Fine i know Lucas has a problem with characterisations and what he wrote for EP II was the most stiff dialog i have ever heard.
but its not ONLY up the director to make the actor act out his role!

an actor has to be able to show emotions,if he is sad or happy and many other diffrent emotions but hayden coul not pull it off!

in some scenes he is so bad that a first year acting student could pull it of better!
the one in charge of casting for EpII should take alook at what she/he have done !

he has to have a talent for getting in to his character and hayden did not pull it of in EpII IMO!

I was responding mainly to your suggestion for Hayden to take acting classes, to which I disagreed greatly. As for the performance, I dunno, he was kind of erratic and slithery throughout. The regality of some of his lines weren't convincingly delivered I guess.

Phoenix said:

Great%20Us%20Flag.gif

Phoenix said:

7.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
karasu said:
wasn't this proven to be fake by an interview with Lucas.

So now the DVDs are fake? There are people who have the discs RIGHT NOW (which is where these screengrabs are coming from), and Lucasfilm is holding a press event for the release next week.

evil ways

karasu said:
weird. I wonder what's gonna happen with that scene where Darth takes his helmet off then.

You'll see Jake Lloyd's head super imposed into Vader's body and Lian Neeson doing the voice over.

AssMan

Banned
Jesus Christ. South Park was right. Why does Lucas have to ruin all the classics? Guess he thinks the nerds will eat this shit up.

Why do I have a feeling that no one outside of lucasfilm and the DVD production company actually has the actual discs yet. Wouldn't someone have leaked them onto the net by now or at least have taken more screen grabs? Both shots of the emporer look differn't in detail and lighting (to me at least) and the shot of the ghosts is still way too suspect for me to believe just yet.

BuddyC

Warm Machine said:
Why do I have a feeling that no one outside of lucasfilm and the DVD production company actually has the actual discs yet. Wouldn't someone have leaked them onto the net by now or at least have taken more screen grabs? Both shots of the emporer look differn't in detail and lighting (to me at least) and the shot of the ghosts is still way too suspect for me to believe just yet.

me? i still refuse to believe that water is wet.

mattx5

The shots are real, get over it. I hate the altered ghost scene, but I've gotten over the fact that it's not a fake, it's very fucking real.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>What the holy hell are you talking about? Han sitting in a bar on a hostile planet known for lawlessness, where seconds before another guy/alien shoots another guy/alien in plain veiw of everyone and no one flinches are asks why he shot the other dude, with a bounty on his head from the biggest crime boss in the system, when a bounty hunter sits down and tells Han he is going to take him back to Jabba and collect the reward, "dead or alive." <<<

The key words here being "or alive".

I believe that the endor shot is real. I don't believe the ghost shot is real. The aspect ratio alone of the frame in comparison to the endor shot is differn't. Why would a screen grab be so differn't. Did whoever grabbed it crop the sides as well as the letterbox? I've also seen another shot of the emporer and the background and the emporer himself is differn't, not just in posing but lighting too.

I don't doubt they changed stuff but I've also heard no official word that any of these changes are real aside from The Digital Bits saying that changes are being made. I like TDB and all but they haven't seen the discs. The shots of the packaging in the beginning are obviously scanned from a marketing flyer.

Edited in: As well, if the insert EPIII SPOILER HERE is true and that is the reason for the change, why would the SPOILER be added now...before EPIII is even out in theaters?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Warm Machine said:
I believe that the endor shot is real. I don't believe the ghost shot is real. The aspect ratio alone of the frame in comparison to the endor shot is differn't. Why would a screen grab be so differn't. Did whoever grabbed it crop the sides as well as the letterbox? I've also seen another shot of the emporer and the background and the emporer himself is differn't, not just in posing but lighting too.

I don't doubt they changed stuff but I've also heard no official word that any of these changes are real aside from The Digital Bits saying that changes are being made. I like TDB and all but they haven't seen the discs. The shots of the packaging in the beginning are obviously scanned from a marketing flyer.

Edited in: As well, if the insert EPIII SPOILER HERE is true and that is the reason for the change, why would the SPOILER be added now...before EPIII is even out in theaters?

The changes are real. You can try all you want to try to discredit them, but they are in the movies now. And there are more changes than what has leaked out already. As I said in a previous post, the discs are done (they just finished the special features disc this past week), and some people already have their hands on test discs.

Ecrofirt

I've recently re-watched the Han and Greedo scene on both the original and Special Editions several times now so I could come to a final conclusion on the matter.

The fact that Han was unbuckling his gun while talking implies that he was gonig to shoot Greedo, therefore making him a badass. Having Greedo shoot first and Han shoot in defense debunks this whole idea, and leaves Han looknig like he *had* to shoot, or he would die.

It completely changes the way you look at Han's character from that point on in the film.

Ecrofirt said:
It completely changes the way you look at Han's character from that point on in the film.

Which is exactly why Lucas did it. You see, in 1977, Lucas wanted Solo to be a renegade bad-ass. 20 years later and Lucas gets all soft inside and wants Solo to be a pussified good guy. He actually said in some interview I read along time ago, that the reason he changed the shot was so that people wouldn't look down on Han Solo as a "darker" character.

Guzim

The only changes that are needed are to take away Luke's screams from The Empire Strikes Back, and bring back Yub Nub for the ending of Return of the Jedi!

Error Macro said:
Which is exactly why Lucas did it. You see, in 1977, Lucas wanted Solo to be a renegade bad-ass. 20 years later and Lucas gets all soft inside and wants Solo to be a pussified good guy. He actually said in some interview I read along time ago, that the reason he changed the shot was so that people wouldn't look down on Han Solo as a "darker" character.

Han Solo changes during ESB anyway. I think he wanted continuity.

robertsan21 said:
Warm Machine said:
I believe that the endor shot is real. I don't believe the ghost shot is realQUOTE]

Why wouldnt the Endor shot be real? does it not look like it did in the Original Movie?

Real as in a grab from the DVD. When you screen cap a DVD everything comes along including the letterbox. If the movie is anamorphic there is some minor scaling you have to do in Photoshop or whatever to reframe it properly. The Ghost shot has been fucked with after the grab. The letterbox is gone and it isn't in the same aspect ratio as the film. Sure someone could have done some weird cropping to it but...

If Lucas has made changes to the ghost scene at the end I don't care...but I do think that shot is a fake. I think it is fake because all three characters were filmed on a film plate and the background on another. it doesn't make sense to me that lucas would spend the money on digitally erasing the old anakin's head off the body and motion matching Haydens on. Why not recomposite the shot with an all new Anakin on his own plate and completely mask out the old one? It could be done in less than a day from shooting to final composite. Otherwise it would take a hell of a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom