• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

LNBL

Better late than never (maybe. Maybe it's better never.) but here's the video from my appearance on CNN last Friday.

See if you can spot the moment where I could have (but brainfarted it) referred to myself as a "Lore Expert."

Damn the video seems to be gone, any other way to view it?

You are clutch bro. This is just an import site correct? Does this count as an international purchase?

AmiAmi is the primary site a lot of people use, but there are others that are equally as reliable, so don't put all your eggs in one basket if you're trying to snag one of these. There's also:

Hobbylink Japan
Hobbysearch
Nippon-Yasan
Big In Japan

It's worth noting that Hobbysearch is usually the first shop to put up new inventory, so start checking around 11PM or so on September 30th.

Boke1879

AmiAmi is the primary site a lot of people use, but there are others that are equally as reliable, so don't put all your eggs in one basket if you're trying to snag one of these. There's also:

Hobbylink Japan
Hobbysearch
Nippon-Yasan
Big In Japan

It's worth noting that Hobbysearch is usually the first shop to put up new inventory, so start checking around 11PM or so on September 30th.

Thanks a lot. I'll have to contact my bank seeing as this is an international site. Gotta let them know I'll be making a purchase so it doesn't block it during processing

ghostmind

As I mentioned earlier, I picked up a couple hobby boxes of "Topps Journey to the Force Awakens" cards. My son and I went through cracking the packs this weekend.

o3VRL6T.jpg

I was very impressed by the quality - thick cardstock while still calling back to the original trilogy cards from '77 to '83. The base series is 110 cards, with the first 20 quickly covering the prequel trilogy, 60 cards focussing on the original trilogy, and the remaining 30 plucking images from the two TFA teaser trailers.

Some of the different base parallels:
LLSygjD.jpg

Some rare parallels - these are numbered out of 150 each:
T5yraVh.jpg

And more rare, numbered out of 25:
kobtpPW.jpg

Insert sets include "Behind the scenes":
UOprsdN.jpg

Concept art:
gs3MUc9.jpg

Foil character cards:
4YY5MWv.jpg

Cloth patches:
22Y2jEh.jpg

Stickers:
Op9nlRQ.jpg

"Heroes of the Resistance":
36R2Fn2.jpg

"Power of the First Order":
rBVhOwi.jpg

"Patches" (these were 5 or 6 cards deep in thickness):
mKj8XqN.jpg

And cards to get free packs in the Star Wars Card Trader app:
VbwTi9N.jpg

However, the highlight of the experience was my son getting a 1/1 signature card of Ki-Adi-Mundi. The odds on getting this were 1 in 9,236 packs, so he was beside himself with excitement.

n4d9QQx.jpg

In all, I'm very impressed. Before the "Force Awakens Series 1" set hits in December, I'm going to try to acquire the inserts that I'm missing from this set.

Every time this thread is bumped I get excited... when do we get new news about the movie already?!

For news about the film itself you might want to keep an eye on the Star Wars Community thread. Either that or it'll just be posted in a new thread in Off Topic.

I keep seeing all these Black Series figures and I still haven't even received the first wave yet. Asty looks great.

-griffy-

Banned
Managed to find this guy at Target over the weekend:
aW8gY4pl.jpg

He was there along with a Finn, a Rey and a Chewbacca, which makes the most Black Series figures I've seen in the wild ever at this point. Hadn't planned on picking up Kylo (I really want a First Order Trooper and Captain Phasma), but I saw him and grabbed him almost reflexively because I'm part of the problem.

Boke1879

Tonight around midnight EST. If you're using Hobbysearch, start checking around 11PM EST, as they usually update a bit earlier than other shops.

Thanks again. One other question. Since I'm in the US. Will I be able to order this no problem or will it block me since it's a Japanese site unless I contact my bank?

BrettWeir

The Black Series First Order Trooper is impossible to find. Only one I'm missing from wave 1. Crazy that it's been this long since Force Friday and it's still hard to find stock. Disney has to be making a killing on merch.

Boke1879

The Black Series First Order Trooper is impossible to find. Only one I'm missing from wave 1. Crazy that it's been this long since Force Friday and it's still hard to find stock. Disney has to be making a killing on merch.

I can't find Rey anywhere. Locally or online. I wonder how often they stock? Wave 2 should be out shortly correct? I'm really trying to get Phasma an that deadpool looking guy.

Cheebo

Banned
I see that one sometimes. Finn is without question the leg warmer of the black series. I have yet to see a Rey in the wild.

Savitar

If your Canadian it seems that Dominion is getting some of these figures in, found them randomly the other day which blew my mind. Especially since Phasma was there! I grabbed the two, one for myself and one for my room mate who is a big SW fan.

Thanks again. One other question. Since I'm in the US. Will I be able to order this no problem or will it block me since it's a Japanese site unless I contact my bank?

Most banks block foreign transactions on cards tied to their bank by default. If using a straight-up credit card isn't an option, just give your bank a call and request that they remove the block for 24 hours. PayPal is also an option with most shops.

BrettWeir

I can't find Rey anywhere. Locally or online. I wonder how often they stock? Wave 2 should be out shortly correct? I'm really trying to get Phasma an that deadpool looking guy.

I got lucky with Rey/BB8. Wife called me from Target a couple days ago and said they had 1 of her in stock. She bought it for me.

Not sure when wave 2 hits. I'm seeing more and more people post Phasma pickups on Reddit Star Wars, so hopefully it's widespread soon.

I see that one sometimes. Finn is without question the leg warmer of the black series. I have yet to see a Rey in the wild.

Agreed. I see Finn and Chewy every time I go looking for others.

Boke1879

I got lucky with Rey/BB8. Wife called me from Target a couple days ago and said they had 1 of her in stock. She bought it for me.

Not sure when wave 2 hits. I'm seeing more and more people post Phasma pickups on Reddit Star Wars, so hopefully it's widespread soon.

Agreed. I see Finn and Chewy every time I go looking for others.

Yea I'm hoping wave 2 kicks in soon. Awesome you got so lucky with Rey. I'm sure she'll be more available soon. Hopefully.

BrettWeir

Yea I'm hoping wave 2 kicks in soon. Awesome you got so lucky with Rey. I'm sure she'll be more available soon. Hopefully.

Thanks! I've been having fun with it. Not much compared to quite a few, especially collector's, but still fun.

Really looking forward to completing wave one and seeing wave two out and about.

/potato quality - The FSOT is Disney Elite. Will be the only one I get.

qGxhMOw.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've never seen a Force Awakens Black Series figure in the wild.

Boke1879

Thanks! I've been having fun with it. Not much compared to quite a few, especially collector's, but still fun.

Really looking forward to completing wave one and seeing wave two out and about.

/potato quality - The FSOT is Disney Elite. Will be the only one I get.

qGxhMOw.jpg

THAT VADER WITH NO HELMET! Where did you get it? Also I literally only need Rey to complete Wave 1 lol

Lurking on a couple of collector forums, it looks like a lot of people are army-building with this one and buying multiples, explaining the current shortage. I was surprised to see the original Storm Trooper on Amazon for near retail recently so I'm hopeful this one will end up similarly abundant.

Also, count me among the many who are actively scanning for any news of wide-spread Phasma availability. I think that one's going to be really tough to find in the wild.

BrettWeir

Lurking on a couple of collector forums, it looks like a lot of people are army-building with this one and buying multiples, explaining the current shortage. I was surprised to see the original Storm Trooper on Amazon for near retail recently so I'm hopeful this one will end up similarly abundant.

Also, count me among the many who are actively scanning for any news of wide-spread Phasma availability. I think that one's going to be really tough to find in the wild.

Phasma will probably be a PITA to find until even after Xmas. People are going insane for Phasma. Can't blame them though!

Phasma will probably be a PITA to find until even after Xmas. People are going insane for Phasma. Can't blame them though!

Yeah, that really surprised me. Phasma is getting the reaction I expected Kylo Ren to get.

Captain Phasma figuarts pre-orders open tonight. Yesssssssss.

Boke1879

I'm waiting for that Figarts Phasma preorder to go live a bit later. Phasma will no doubt be a popular toy that will tough to find for a long time

I'm waiting for that Figarts Phasma preorder to go live a bit later. Phasma will no doubt be a popular toy that will tough to find for a long time

I'm really hoping Sideshow makes a Phasma premium format.

I don't buy Hot Toys but I would probably cave on a Phasma HT, which is pretty much guaranteed.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah, that really surprised me. Phasma is getting the reaction I expected Kylo Ren to get.

Kylo Ren suffers from having a kinda generic and unassuming design compared to previous bad guys like Vader or Maul. He's looks like a rent-a-Sith-lord. Plasma has a much more unique and exciting aesthetic with the chrome armor and dashing cape.

Kylo Ren will probably shoot up in popularity once the movie comes out and we see how badass he is.

Boke1879

I already have the hobbysearch and the Ami pages open but I know you'll be the first to bump this thread once they are live.

Yea I think Ren is pretty popular, but Phasma is like the new Boba Fett

-griffy-

Banned
Kylo Ren suffers from having a kinda generic and unassuming design compared to previous bad guys like Vader or Maul. He's looks like a rent-a-Sith-lord. Plasma has a much more unique and exciting aesthetic with the chrome armor and dashing cape.

Kylo Ren will probably shoot up in popularity once the movie comes out and we see how badass he is.
I'd expect Finn to become more popular after release as well. Right now he's the most boring figure since he's just a dude no one really knows. Rey at least has BB-8 (pretty much the sole reason I got the figure). But once people get to actually know the character and/or they release a figure of him with that lightsaber....
johnboyega.gif

Boke1879

I'd expect Finn to become more popular after release as well. Right now he's the most boring figure since he's just a dude no one really knows. Rey at least has BB-8 (pretty much the sole reason I got the figure). But once people get to actually know the character and/or they release a figure of him with that lightsaber....
johnboyega.gif

Yup. I'm thinking after the movie he'll get a boost. I think you're right in saying it's because a lot of people don't know him and I think that's intentional. Like you said. Rey has BB8 and we've had rumors of her character. Ren looks cool, the troopers look cool. Chewie is chewie. I'm hoping Finn gets a boost in popularity. I'm really excited for him .

Boke1879

I think a lot of people are also excited about her because she's a woman. Dat representation.

Oh no. I agree. That's a huge part of it. But also her uniform is fucking awesome. When I say Boba Fett. I mean the costume is so cool that we are drawn to it as well.

I hope Phasma gets adequate screen time as well.

Toxi

Banned
Top Bottom