• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

e4e774f43e246540e26ba62a494cb501.jpg

I never got into the Black Series. I've always preferred fixed figures to poseable. I just started buying Kotobukiya's ArtFX+ line, which is exactly what I want, even if they are a bit small and expensive. But Koto is bringing back their 1/7 line as well.

Yarbskoo

Well, I wanted a Droid Control Ship, but the Action Fleet version is much too expensive, even for me, so I went with what I thought was the best looking alternative, the Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles: Trade Federation Droid Control Ship.
VsqrIQq.png

There's a lot of detail here, and from a normal viewing distance it looks pretty good. The build quality doesn't really hold up on closer inspection, though.
hSy9gg2.png
Kb4FlvH.png
RHxB7ZN.png
CWoEk90.png

Still, for under $20 it's not bad, and if you want the doughnut ship for less than $150 this is probably going to be your best option.

Gravidee

Can't for the life of me find any Kanan or Ahsoka Black Series in Canada. Meanwhile they seem plentiful enough in the US to even go on clearance. -____-

Yarbskoo

Looks like a small deathstar crossed with a stardestroyer

The resemblance isn't coincidental. The Republic Cruiser that lands in its hanger at the beginning of Episode I also resembles the Tantive IV that gets captured by the Star Destroyer at the beginning of Episode IV.

It's like poetry.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The resemblance isn't coincidental. The Republic Cruiser that lands in its hanger at the beginning of Episode I also resembles the Tantive IV that gets captured by the Star Destroyer at the beginning of Episode IV.

It's like poetry.
The original designs of the battledroids look like Stormtrooper skeletons.
Pretty obivious that Lucas changed some of his ideas for about 180 degree when it comes to who would form the empire, etc.

Lego had such a great opportunity to release a new version of the AT-AT for Rogue One but instead opted for the AT-ST. I hope we see a new AT-AT or Star Destroyer released in a new batch or something.

Someone's managed to snag the first wave of Rogue One Black Series figures with a good look at each on YouTube.

- K-S20 (he looks awesome)
- Cassian (the packaging actually reveals a new planet name - Eadu)
- Jyn
- Death Trooper (actually looks a bit disappointing)

Thanks for the video's! Also that droid looks sick. I love the matte finish and just how tall he is. Its maybe the most unique looking black series figure ive seen.

Also, could that Vader amazon link be a new Rogue One Vader figure or just a repack of the old one with the goofy eyes. Im interested. I just hope i can get a Leia and C3P0.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The droid figure reminds me of a Marvel Legends figure that came out recently. The Target-exclusive Civil War War Machine has a finish on the darker parts that looks a lot like metal with a powder coating finish on it.
https://postimage.org/
Could Hasbro be figuring out how to do paint?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Entertainment Earth has open preorders for all of the tough to find 6" Black Series figures right now, even Hux. $20-22.

Not exactly real Skeletons, but they really looked like they took a Stormtrooper helmet and put it on those thin, skeletonesk bodys.

In the text of the making of they really write that they took heavy inspiration on Stormtroopers.

Oh, I see what you mean with the art on the right side. Thanks.

This movie has way too many iterations of the storm troopers. I feel like every time i see a new picture of the film, or a new toy, its a completely new storm trooper. I still don't know how i feel about that. After all it does lead up to the event s of the OT and this stuff was never seen again.

TAJ

This movie has way too many iterations of the storm troopers. I feel like every time i see a new picture of the film, or a new toy, its a completely new storm trooper. I still don't know how i feel about that. After all it does lead up to the event s of the OT and this stuff was never seen again.

There were four different Stormtrooper variants in the original movie that appeared briefly and were never seen again in the series. (three different sandtroopers and the ones with that jetpack thingy)
I'll allow it.
EDIT: Apparently that pack that some of the Death Star stormtroopers had was some sort of breathing apparatus and not a jetpack. But it looks like there are jetpack troopers in Rogue One.

TAJ

Krennic looks like another Hux, where the outfit looks great but the face is terrible. Threepio looks like shit compared to the one I already have. (Bandai kit)
Scarif looks good.

Yarbskoo

Since the Series Alpha version is damn near impossible to find, I decided to just go with the standard edition of the Action Fleet Naboo Starfighter.
jIpL5w4.png

The long finials projecting from the rear of the ship and engines are made of a more flexible plastic and somewhat shorter than the film versions, probably as a safety precaution.
YNUt5FP.png

Unlike previous Action Fleet starfighters, R2D2 isn't removable here. This makes sense as the Naboo Starfighter design doesn't allow room for Artoo's shoulders. This bit of design cheating is explained in the Star Wars Vehicle Cross-Sections books that show R2's head extending upward away from the rest of his body as the ship's computer interfaces directly with his internal systems. The Action Fleet vehicle lets you recreate this process by pressing a button on the bottom of the ship.
mCGLg2m.png
BKZjkw8.png

Unlike most Action Fleet ships, the cockpit opens with a sliding canopy, rather than using a hinge. This is a neat bit of movie accuracy, though it does make it a bit more difficult to access the figure.
3qcp10B.png

The figure is Anakin Skywalker, similar to one included with his Podracer, this time wearing a nicely detailed child-sized fighter pilot helmet. His small size means he sits rather loosely in the cockpit, which makes sense.
7GBwBOw.png
pTkgEMW.png

Finally, the ship features some retractable landing gear, which are nicely detailed for things that are, from what I remember, not present in the film.
BwKhVUC.png

The paint detail is minimal, but it works. I do wish the silver parts on the front and underside of the ship were more reflective like the Royal Starship, but overall it's a great ship.

Rootbeer

Banned
Krennic looks like another Hux, where the outfit looks great but the face is terrible. Threepio looks like shit compared to the one I already have. (Bandai kit)
Scarif looks good.
Hux is one of the harder figures to find though, so it will be worth buying Krennic for sure.

I have them all pre-ordered on amazon before they removed the listings. Hopefully I'm good.

Snaku

Banned
Anybody else going out for Rogue Friday? I had a great time at Force Friday last year, but I'm not too sure if I want anything from Rogue One. Also can't really decide on Black Series or 3.75" figures.

Anth0ny

Anybody else going out for Rogue Friday? I had a great time at Force Friday last year, but I'm not too sure if I want anything from Rogue One. Also can't really decide on Black Series or 3.75" figures.

do we know what's going to be available? I'm specifically interested in 3.75" but I don't know what'll be out on Force Friday.

Top Bottom