• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

While yes the old EU had plenty of turds, it did also encompass 25 years. So thats a lot of time to incorporate crap.

True. But I think what made it's turdiness so egregious was the way a lot of the fans treated Star Wars as if it was the spacey version of Tolkien's Middle-earth. I mean, it could have been, but it never was like that for Lucas, and his blehness seeped out into the EU in a pretty noticeable way.

That being said I think people are a bit too harsh. Some of the new canon already I am not overly fond of: Marvel Darth Vader, Marvel Star Wars.... surprisingly I think Lando comic is the best by a country mile.

Those ones aren't amazing, but they're not terrible either.

And Kanan is the best comic :p

Tizoc

So I'm watching Season 3 of Clone Wars and
how did Ziro escape? The footage they shown was of an episode where Ziro's escape was foiled wasn't it?

Toxi

Banned
So I'm watching Season 3 of Clone Wars and
how did Ziro escape? The footage they shown was of an episode where Ziro's escape was foiled wasn't it?
Remember the episode where Cad Bane attacks the Senate building to ransom them for Ziro's release? The episode you watched came immediately after that episode. The first three seasons of Clone Wars have some annoyingly jumbled order. You see something similar with the episode "Cadets" which comes before "Rookies".

Tizoc

Remember the episode where Cad Bane attacks the Senate building to ransom them for Ziro's release? The episode you watched came immediately after that episode. The first three seasons of Clone Wars have some annoyingly jumbled order. You see something similar with the episode "Cadets" which comes before "Rookies".

o_O
Why would they do that....the Cadets and Rookies episodes didn't bother me much but this out of order thing is odd.

o_O
Why would they do that....the Cadets and Rookies episodes didn't bother me much but this out of order thing is odd.

Originally the idea was for it to be an anthology show, not going out of its way to point to any continuity, but not contradicting itself, either.

At some point they realized that was more or less stupid as hell, and became a straight-up serialized show.

The show was really wobbly for the first two years, really. And with the awful intro most people got to it (the movie) it's kind of a miracle it made it past those first two years.

Well, not really a miracle. Unless you consider George Lucas' bank account miraculous.

Which it is.

sphagnum

Banned
I would have loved to see the EU crazies try to retcon how Chewie was still alive, Luke wasn't married to Mara Jade (let alone Mara Jade even existing) and the like with the sequel trilogy.

Would have been hilarious.

There's someone who posts on TFN's Lit board who is doing that (he calls it the "One Canon"), although it's more for fun than anything else.

graffix13

Shattered Empire #2 was fantastic. The
Messenger was pretty cool. We also find out that Poe has already been born (a young child), so he wasn't actually conceived in the Ewok village during the celebration like I was hoping.

sphagnum

Banned
Four comics are out today - SW #10 and Vader #10, Lando #5, and Shattered Empire #2. All four are really good, although SE's art changes partway through - they must have been rushing to meet the deadline.

It's too bad that (spoilers for Shattered Empire and one of the canon books)
the ending of SE falls flat because we know Naboo can't be wiped out. Thane and Kendy fight in the third battle of Naboo at the end of Lost Stars one year after Endor, finally liberating the planet completely from the Empire, so we already know that Captain Duvat's weather array won't work.

curb

Banned
Continuing my almost three year old daughter's education:

img_20151006_174549.jpg

curb

Banned
Each movie in Kid Story Book form? That's awesome!

Also, why is Yoda's saber a Katana now?

It is. I came across them loose in a bookstore on the weekend but found I could get the set of six for much cheaper.

There's a bit of a 2003 The Clone Wars style to the illustrations.

Rootbeer

Banned
Today is star wars heaven if you are a comic fan.

Getting two issues on a Weds is a treat but when you get four.. hot damn.

curb

Banned
This is the story of how Anakin Skywalker murdered his wife, friends, and "younglings".

Sleep well!

I thought of that. I don't think we're going to start looking at them for a while. I have to look through them first and see when I actually want to read them with her.

Fj0823

I thought of that. I don't think we're going to start looking at them for a while. I have to look through them first and see when I actually want to read them with her.

Not to mention "And then Luke french kissed his sister!" or "Ani's mother was tortured, possibly raped, and died gasping for air in the arms of her son, sleep well sweetie, we`ll continue tomorrow!!"

I'm curious to see how they handle... well, a bunch of stuff for these "kids" books. I may open them up tonight.

I bet they just gloss over most of those details. I mean, they're kids books, they've got to condense like crazy just to make everything fit anyway.

I'm curious to see how they handle... well, a bunch of stuff for these "kids" books. I may open them up tonight.

That kind of reminds me. The idea of Twi'leks being very sexual.... Is that legit pre-Disney canon, or fantasy made popular by a portion of the fanbase?

That kind of reminds me. The idea of Twi'leks being very sexual.... Is that legit pre-Disney canon, or fantasy made popular by a portion of the fanbase?

I'd say pre-Disney. You have Oola doing her dance, then you have Aayla Secura. You also have the dancing Twi'leks in at least two of the Clone Wars episodes (One episode they were dancing for the other Twi-leks, the other the Hutt leaders), and the pink one from the episode with the deserter. There was a Twi-lek painted on a gunship wearing Clone armor in pin-up style during the Clone Wars movie. And sometimes in the Clone Wars the head-tails look like butts. I'm not an expert on alien sexuality though.

I'd say pre-Disney. You have Oola doing her dance, then you have Aayla Secura. You also have the dancing Twi'leks in at least two of the Clone Wars episodes (One episode they were dancing for the other Twi-leks, the other the Hutt leaders), and the pink one from the episode with the deserter. There was a Twi-lek painted on a gunship wearing Clone armor in pin-up style during the Clone Wars movie. And sometimes in the Clone Wars the head-tails look like butts. I'm not an expert on alien sexuality though.

The craziest one was from that Star Wars: Visions art book that they put out before the parade of other ones. This book, an official Star Wars product, had a piece in it of a Twi'lek in a kimono (Aayla, I believe) with an exposed breast. It was a gorgeous piece, but it surprised me to no end seeing any type of nudity in an official product.

Cheebo

Banned
I skimmed those golden kids books when my wife and I were grocery shopping last night. They skip over pretty much anything not kid friendly like the incest, younglings dying, etc.

I skimmed those golden kids books when my wife and I were grocery shopping last night. They skip over pretty much anything not kid friendly like the incest, younglings dying, etc.

I understand why, but shit. I don't want Disney to kid-ify the franchise too much.

curb

Banned
I opened the books when I got home. It all seems fairly appropriate for a like, 5-7 year olds. I think I'd feel alright reading a slightly sanitized version of 4-6 to my 3 year old.

Cheebo

Banned
I understand why, but shit. I don't want Disney to kid-ify the franchise too much.
It's just a kids book. There is no extra kid-ifying done on films. Bob Igers policy is to let his subsidiaries do their own things. Lucasfilm is doing what they do pretty much on their own for these movies. No different than Marvel. Disney didn't kid-ify Marvel.

curb

Banned
It's just a kids book. There is no extra kid-ifying done on films. Bob Igers policy is to let his subsidiaries do their own things. Lucasfilm is doing what they do pretty much on their own for these movies. No different than Marvel. Disney didn't kid-ify Marvel.

I'll take those Star Wars Little Golden Books over Marvel Super Hero Squad any day.

The craziest one was from that Star Wars: Visions art book that they put out before the parade of other ones. This book, an official Star Wars product, had a piece in it of a Twi'lek in a kimono (Aayla, I believe) with an exposed breast. It was a gorgeous piece, but it surprised me to no end seeing any type of nudity in an official product.
Yup, that's a boob. I'd seen the image before, but didn't think it was from anything official. Looking through some samples from the book it would appear there were multiple pictures with exposed breasts.
In Lost Stars there is some talk of
breasts and sex
and in Shattered Empire #1
its obvious that two characters had had sex
. So I wouldn't worry too much about them kid-ifying it.

I wonder how it will play out. Is Lucasfilm and Abrams/Johnson/Trevorrow going to follow the pattern set by the previous films (1 'dark' film and 2 'light' ones) or will they do something different?

Best case scenario for me is to keep the films at little closer to ESB and RotS, and move the egregiously kids oriented stuff to the cartoons.

And then go full HBO/Netflix and make a bunch of miniseries action dramas.

Four comics are out today - SW #10 and Vader #10, Lando #5, and Shattered Empire #2. All four are really good, although SE's art changes partway through - they must have been rushing to meet the deadline.

It's too bad that (spoilers for Shattered Empire and one of the canon books)
the ending of SE falls flat because we know Naboo can't be wiped out. Thane and Kendy fight in the third battle of Naboo at the end of Lost Stars one year after Endor, finally liberating the planet completely from the Empire, so we already know that Captain Duvat's weather array won't work.
Just finished Shattered Empire #2 and thought the same thing. Then came back to read what was under the spoiler tag I saw earlier. Now it's time to read Star Wars #10.

I wonder how it will play out. Is Lucasfilm and Abrams/Johnson/Trevorrow going to follow the pattern set by the previous films (1 'dark' film and 2 'light' ones) or will they do something different?

Best case scenario for me is to keep the films at little closer to ESB and RotS, and move the egregiously kids oriented stuff to the cartoons.

And then go full HBO/Netflix and make a bunch of miniseries action dramas.

I doubt the trilogy will follow any kind of strict pattern. I've seen people say VII seems to take inspiration from all three of the OT films, but it probably bares the most resemblance to A New Hope which makes sense. I suppose we could assume Johnson's will be the darkest because of the other stuff he's worked on but Star Wars is a completely different ball game so it's just conjecture.

curb

Banned
I was looking forward to the new season of Rebels before but after this trailer, holy cats

Hondo
Sabine's connected to Vizsla
Ezra looking rather competent with his lightsaber
Ahsoka vs the new Inquisitors

Edit: ... aaaand apparently it's not on their tumblr anymore

Tizoc

tumblr_mgeemq5HhR1r0r85mo1_500.jpg

Hmmm....
OK that 2 parter where Padme tried to appeal for a peaceful resolution to the war was quite good.

And that ep. where Organa and Binks go to request sending aid to Ryloth had the best Binks can ever be.

Metalmarc

any ideas whats gonna be at New York Comic Con,specifically this from the Twitch nycc stream

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch

Saturday all times are EDT

The Future of ‘Star Wars’ 11:30 – 11:45 AM

will there be a trailer? i hope so but doubt it

(im guessing a mention of the books, comics, films and spinoffs, rebels etc?)

also on the stream for those interested Star Wars Related is going to be

Friday is
‘Star Wars’ Holograms 5:30 – 5:45 PM

Sunday
Gaming w/ ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Star Ashley Eckstein 1:30 – 2:00 PM

Top Bottom