• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

Im just from eastern europe, here woman who has fat face isnt desirable even for one night stand, u guys(some, like those masculine/fat face defenders in this very thread) in the west have for some reason lowered ur standards so much it gives even cave trolls confidence they are special/desired, no need to lie to them imho but u do u bro, just dont make me have same terrible standars coz its never gonna happen, all ugos are urs for the taking, no worries :)

:)
You've just proven my point. I rest my case. Good luck to you.

VulcanRaven

They devoted extra time and resources and money to change it from the face scan. If and when it flops they can call it bad taste or whatnot but that's one reason why.
Star-Wars-Outlaws-1-1.png

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

They aren’t interested in shots like this. Just that one bad one that internet grifters have shoved down their throats.

This is going to sell well because it's Star Wars, but that will be mostly name recognition. The people who hate the direction of the game (forced stealth, limited weapons, ubisoft outposts) will mostly experience it through you tubers complaining about it / warning people about it. That isn't going to lead to increased sales. Sales of this game will be mostly uninformed people impressed by the things it gets right that are easy to show off in a trailer.

It's a shame the gameplay looks so bad, because I think they've absolutely nailed the source material. This is the most star wars looking star wars game in years. The many copies that do sell will largely be due to that fact. People can hate watch a TV show for no extra cost, and they can hate watch a video game for free on you tube, but again, people aren't going to be spending 70 dollars on this who dislike the game. It's just not a good comparison.

Man, it’ll do a number on you people when the game sells very well, and reviews much better than you think.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They aren’t interested in shots like this. Just that one bad one that internet grifters have shoved down their throats.

Man, it’ll do a number on you people when the game sells very well, and reviews much better than you think.
Well like he said it will do some numbers cause star wars

Speaking of grifters, but like actual ones, did you see all the YouTubers who got flown out to play it early and given nice gift bags? The ones that like to say anyone disliking stuff is grifting?

VulcanRaven

I'm not a big fan of the character based on trailers but she is not unattractive. I might get Ubisoft+ at some point to play this but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Its like alloy gained 20 pounds, all of it on her face between acress and how aloy looks in the sequel :D
Those memes were made for a reason

Is that shot on the right - the one that became a meme - a real shot from the game? It looks photoshopped to me, as if they added extra fat for the sake of the joke. It isn't actually a real shot from the game, is it? I played HFW and while I realized Aloy had been made less attractive, I don't remember her looking that fat-faced.

Re. the change in Aloy from Horizon ZD to Forbidden West...

Sure, but thats like asking why from her being a kid to an adult is different.

If they game is showing some passage of time, yes, she will look different over the years as she gets older and I'm sure in Horizon 3 she'll look different too depending on how many years will pass.

Thats up to the developer the story they are seeking to tell.

So yea, she does look different from kid, to teen in HDZ to adult in FW, but i feel that should be expected if that is what they are going for with the world, IP etc.

No - only 6 months transpired between the end of HZD and HFW. You can't attribute Aloy's increased facial girth to the passage of time, unless she spent those 6 months in the Meridian donut shop.

It's not the passage of time. 6 months don't change your appearance that much. It's an agenda. I'm not one to make a big fuss about this (other changes in HFW bothered me much more), but the nature of and the reason for the changes are very clear in this instance. They go right along with the increased emphasis on lesbian relationships in FW. Lesbianism was present but in the background in Zero Dawn but came to the fore in FW. This stuff is too clear to miss.

Last edited:
This is going to sell well because it's Star Wars, but that will be mostly name recognition. The people who hate the direction of the game (forced stealth, limited weapons, ubisoft outposts) will mostly experience it through you tubers complaining about it / warning people about it. That isn't going to lead to increased sales. Sales of this game will be mostly uninformed people impressed by the things it gets right that are easy to show off in a trailer.

It's a shame the gameplay looks so bad, because I think they've absolutely nailed the source material. This is the most star wars looking star wars game in years. The many copies that do sell will largely be due to that fact.

I don't care about reviews, and I already said that it was going to sell well.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
No - only 6 months transpired between the end of HZD and HFW
? That is still a difference of time though.

You very much can gain weight over 6 months.
It's not the passage of time.
? Sir, 6 months is still time passing bud lol
. 6 months don't change your appearance that much. It's an agenda

Under stress, injury, puberty etc those things very much can occur

If you wish to say its an agenda, buddy thats on you lol

All those things are feasible without jumping to this "DERRR AGENDA" bullshit

Using your logic, no one can fucking gain weight in 6 months and zero changes happen to the human body in 6 months.

Yup, must be "an agenda" that humans eat, gain weight and change /s

Using this fucking logic, no actual coming of age films or games can exist, yup it must allllllll be agenda that person change with time. (yea, thats not fucking loony at all)

lol

Last edited:

Humdinger

? That is still a difference of time though.

You very much can gain weight over 6 months.

? Sir, 6 months is still time passing bud lol

Under stress, injury, puberty etc those things very much can occur

If you wish to say its an agenda, buddy thats on you lol

All those things are feasible without jumping to this "DERRR AGENDA" bullshit

Using your logic, no one can fucking gain weight in 6 months and zero changes happen to the human body in 6 months.

Yup, must be "an agenda" that humans eat, gain weight and change /s

Using this fucking logic, no actual coming of age films or games can exist, yup it must allllllll be agenda that person change with time. (yea, thats not fucking loony at all)

lol

Oh come on. You said it was similar to the age difference between a child or a teen and an adult. You really think 6 months time describes the difference between a child and an adult?

Now you're doubling down, maintaining that her appearance could have changed because of puberty, stress, or an injury. Yes, I'm sure Aloy had the onset of puberty at 18. Or maybe she was laid up in bed for six months because of a back injury. lol. We know what she was doing - she was searching for GAIA, not laying around recovering from an illness. And if stress put weight on Aloy, she would have been a fattie in the first game. You're grasping at straws.

Here, I'll help you out. I'll give you some more straws to grasp at. Aloy changed her diet and started eating a lot of processed food. No, wait, I know. She developed a rare endocrine disorder between games that caused her face to fatten but left the rest of her body intact (did you notice that, btw? Her body didn't change, just her face ... hmm). No, maybe her doctor put her on steroids. My sister-in-law gained weight in weird places when that happened. That must be it. Or maybe Aloy went on antidepressants after the first game, because she found out her mother was lesbian. Antidepressants can make you gain weight. That's probably it.

EDMIX

Oh come on. You said it was similar to the age difference between a child or a teen and an adult. You really think 6 months time describes the difference between a child and an adult?
Thats a strawman annnnnd never said anything weird like that and no lol

What I'm saying is time changes people regardless of 6 months or 6 years.

So I don't know what is happening to her in that time from stress to puberty having more food etc

Now you're doubling down, maintaining that her appearance could have changed because of puberty, stress, or an injury. Yes, I'm sure Aloy had the onset of puberty at 18. Or maybe she was laid up in bed for six months because of a back injury. lol.

Ok...but all of those things can occur.

So...yes, time changes people and someone gaining some weight in 6 months is not some wild conspiracy.

So all that is is reasonable and simply not enough to argue over man. (the rest of your post isn't what I'm arguing about and just too unhinged) People can change with time and someone gaining some weight isn't really some unknown or rare thing to be this upset.

Have a good one.

Humdinger

Thats a strawman annnnnd never said anything weird like that and no lol

Oh, bull:

Sure, but thats like asking why from her being a kid to an adult is different.

dpvp2BCjNNXxskLsYk7yob.jpg

If they game is showing some passage of time, yes, she will look different over the years as she gets older and I'm sure in Horizon 3 she'll look different too depending on how many years will pass.

Thats up to the developer the story they are seeking to tell.

So yea, she does look different from kid, to teen in HDZ to adult in FW, but i feel that should be expected if that is what they are going for with the world, IP etc.

You compared the facial changes to the transition between being a child and an adult, then to being a teenager and an adult. Neither of those comparisons are apt. Only 6 months have gone by - not years as you seemed to believe. (It's ok to not have known it was 6 months. But you'd do better to just admit you didn't know, rather than pretend like it doesn't matter.)

What I'm saying is time changes people regardless of 6 months or 6 years.

There's a big difference between 6 years and 6 months, but I agree that people can gain weight over 6 months. That's not news. The question, though, is whether those scenarios fit this situation.

We have significant changes in Aloy's face - not in her body, mind you, just in her face - when only six months have gone by. We know what she was doing during those six months - hunting down GAIA. Furthermore, the changes are in a certain direction - they make her character model less attractive than it was in the first game.

So, why would this be? To most of us, this is not a mystery. Like other Western developers, Guerilla chose to de-emphasize female beauty. Happens all the time. This is the simplest and most plausible explanation for the changes. No need to invent post hoc rationalizations not supported by the game itself.

So I don't know what is happening to her in that time from stress to puberty having more food etc

Puberty again? Really? I already pointed out the absurdity of that, and yet you're repeating it. Are you even listening to yourself? Aloy went through puberty? At 18? You realize that's not when puberty occurs, right? And that Aloy had breasts in the first game?

Stress doesn't make sense - Aloy has been stressed her whole life - and it's a poor excuse for facial (but not bodily) weight gain over six months. You're asking me to believe that her face (but not her body) is fatter because she got stressed between games? Give me a break.

"Having more food." Yeah, ok. Aloy started binge eating between games, and somehow the weight went selectively to her face. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Do you hear how ridiculous these "explanations" sound?

So all that is is reasonable and simply not enough to argue over man. (the rest of your post isn't what I'm arguing about and just too unhinged) People can change with time and someone gaining some weight isn't really some unknown or rare thing to be this upset.

Have a good one.

It's not "reasonable." You're grasping at straws to avoid a simpler, more parsimonious, and more plausible explanation. Why you feel the need to dodge the obvious, I don't know. I guess that's your business. I've enjoyed our chats in other threads, Ed. I don't have any personal animus towards you. But you are missing the mark badly here.

Enough said. Take it easy.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Bullshit. You even posted a child of child Aloy to make your point.
??? My original point showing a child to adult was showing that the game factors time in terms of HZD.

It was never to suggest what you posted later

You really think 6 months time describes the difference between a child and an adult?
Like, I don't really know how you get those points mixed up and then start arguing about it.

The rest of your post has been ignored btw (like, really triggered and unhinged and not that serious to be coping and crying an shit over)
and I just put on on ignore man.

Don't care man lol

Seek help...

Last edited:

Humdinger

??? My original point showing a child to adult was showing that the game factors time in terms of HZD.

It was never to suggest what you posted later

Like, I don't really know how you get those points mixed up and then start arguing about it.

The rest of your post has been ignored btw (like, really triggered and unhinged and not that serious to be coping and crying an shit over)
and I just put on on ignore man.

Don't care man lol

Seek help...

Wow. Why so fervent about this topic? I really don't get it. (never mind, I do get it. I was calling out your bullshit, countering your ridiculous explanations, and pressing you to face facts. Instead of dealing with that forthrightly, you shut your ears, went la-la-la, took your toys and went home.)

Oh well. It's an honor to be on your ignore list. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Wow. Why so fervent about this topic? I really don't get it.

Oh well. It's an honor to be on your ignore list, thank you.
Check post history bro you will get it pretty fast ... the one needing help is him, and fast. My theory is that this guy was banned from resetera a while back and now has to do his white knighting here in every controversial topic so he can win his membership back to the crazy land of male feminists and purple hairs.

Humdinger

Check post history bro you will get it pretty fast ... the one needing help is him, and fast. My theory is that this guy was banned from resetera a while back and now has to do his white knighting here in every controversial topic so he can win his membership back to the crazy land of male feminists and purple hairs.

lol. I'd heard a little earlier in the thread about that, but I didn't pay much attention. I'd had friendly interactions with him before in Horizon threads. I didn't see this side of him before.

Maybe he's going through puberty. Like Aloy. :messenger_grinning:

Umbral

Of course it’ll sell well. It’s made by a giant, well-known corporation with a large marketing budget using a beloved IP owned by another giant, well-known corporation and uses an open-world, color-by-numbers game design combined with the fact that the large majority of people have terrible taste in media, especially games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course it’ll sell well. It’s made by a giant, well-known corporation with a large marketing budget using a beloved IP owned by another giant, well-known corporation and uses an open-world, color-by-numbers game design combined with the fact that the large majority of people have terrible taste in media, especially games.
For sure.

Even the worst SW movie or game probably sells a ton.

EDMIX

My theory is that this guy was banned from resetera a while bac
? Never was one the site and you seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is some person with an alt account or doing it just to do it bud.
white knighting here in every controversial topic
Ok, we are free to have different opinions man.

Do you guys just fucking thing ever person on NeoGaf MUST fucking agree with you or be an alt or "white knighting" or some dumb shit?

male feminists and purple hairs.
I don't get it man, you made this fucking claim before, yet I've asked you, when the fuck have you ever seen me advocate for anything on here regarding any of this?

Do you even have any quote of me ever arguing in favor of either side about this junk?

So I think you just want someone on NeoGaf that has those views to argue with and you are now trying to force this argument that I've ever advocated for any of this shit you guys are obsessed with.

So unless you can even find any quote of me even making any comment suggesting that, stop trying to make these fake claims to label people on this site that disagree with you.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
I wanna wait and see, game had humongous budget since its AAA ubisoft SW licenced game, including huge marketing budget, so "selling well" even if its say 5m copies, could be below expectations (kinda like like ff7rebirth situation, aka unrealistic expectation from publisher).
If game sales over 10m copies durning launch window so preorders+ 70$/€ at launch and close to launch before discounts, then i think its very good number for such a big investments publisher made.

We will know soon enough, say 6months after launch 0 info about copies sold(example hellblade2) and we get nothing or only some useless concord alike milestones then we know it bombed, if we get proper sales numbers like usually sony/nintendo exclusives or for example hogwarts legacy got, then we know game sold gangbusters.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Is that shot on the right - the one that became a meme - a real shot from the game? It looks photoshopped to me, as if they added extra fat for the sake of the joke. It isn't actually a real shot from the game, is it? I played HFW and while I realized Aloy had been made less attractive, I don't remember her looking that fat-faced.

timestamped for u, bro, we all were watching that gameplay trailer, loving it, and then boom, fatso face on the screen :)

Allandor

He's not wrong. Some people are way too concerned about the attractiveness of characters.
And if it would be a male character, that wouldn't be a problem.

I get the argument that the hair looks strange (I guess it is some kind of light & shadow thing that makes it look odd in some situations). But how attractive a character is, shouldn't matter at all.

PeteBull

Gold Member

I get the argument that the hair looks strange (I guess it is some kind of light & shadow thing that makes it look odd in some situations). But how attractive a character is, shouldn't matter at all.
It matters, it always did, and it always will, remember lara croft and how well her games sold, its not coz she was fat lesbian with purple hair, games had solid gameplay but protagonists looks makes huge difference, especially in 3rd person perspective when we always see him/her.
Edit:
We all remember fake 60fps uncharted 4 reveal trailer, nathan drake is not ur avg guy there, despite looking dirty/sweaty/having visible wounds guy is still top lookswise

And guess what, they decided to remove donut drake from the game at all

Game ofc was and is amazing, and so are its sold copies numbers, 16m at the least, according to official data :)

Last edited:

Woopah

Exactly. People are perfectly happy playing ganes where they aren't sexually attracted to the protagonist. I doubt many Force Unleashed players thought Starkiller was sexy.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Exactly. People are perfectly happy playing ganes where they aren't sexually attracted to the protagonist. I doubt many Force Unleashed players thought Starkiller was sexy.
For a guy he still looks better than aloy, SW outlaws protagonist and that new fable protagonists for a girl, not saying he is goodlooking, just those 3 female protags are in such a low league of attractiveness :)
Edit:
quick yt vid from ingame/cinematics footage of him so ppl can judge for themselfs, not some fanfiction but actual game cinematics footage

Last edited:

Woopah

For a guy he still looks better than aloy, SW outlaws protagonist and that new fable protagonists for a girl, not saying he is goodlooking, just those 3 female protags are in such a low league of attractiveness :)
Potentially, buy I don't see it mattering much either way. I don't believe most gamers only buy games with characters they want to have sex with.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Potentially, buy I don't see it mattering much either way. I don't believe most gamers only buy games with characters they want to have sex with.
Guys(well,most of us) never wanted to have sex with arnold, yet terminator looked like it looked, reason is- ppl want exceptional specimen in their movies/games, not ur avg overweight/obese joe, or karen :)
And same here with captain america steve rogers:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Of course not, heck characters don’t even need to be “sexy” but I personally don’t want to play as ugly character regardless race or sex……That’s all.

Last edited:

Woopah

Guys(well,most of us) never wanted to have sex with arnold, yet terminator looked like it looked, reason is- ppl want exceptional specimen in their movies/games, not ur avg overweight/obese joe, or karen :)
And same here with captain america steve rogers:

Which is why Outlaws doesn't have an overweight or obese protagonist.
Of course not, heck characters don’t t even need to be “sexy” but I personally don’t want to play as ugly character regardless race or sex……That’s all.
Which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion!

Humdinger

timestamped for u, bro, we all were watching that gameplay trailer, loving it, and then boom, fatso face on the screen :)

Yeesh. :messenger_frowning_ I always thought that was probably a photoshopped image, not a real one. Thanks for digging that up for me. Appreciate the confirmation.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Which is why Outlaws doesn't have an overweight or obese protagonist.

Which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion!
As long as they straighten her crooked nose, and maybe get rid of that wig-alike hair i have 0 complains anymore, lets hope in later levels/story in the game she gets nose-fix job and washes her hair =]

Long hair can be decently looking, even if u are prisoner, in SW world :)

PeteBull

Gold Member
At least ads on gaf dont put unatractive women straight into our throats, those guys understand business and know whats up :p

Hudo

What do I need to do to get a Star Wars game where you play as a Sith during Order 66, hunting and executing Jedi?

Instead we get some bootleg the-power-of-many Han Solo open-world shit.

PeteBull

Gold Member
What do I need to do to get a Star Wars game where you play as a Sith during Order 66, hunting and executing Jedi?

Instead we get some bootleg the-power-of-many Han Solo open-world shit.
I would even compromise for darth jar jar game here :p

Filben

Is that shot on the right - the one that became a meme - a real shot from the game?
They picked a too low focal length in that particular scene. You know, like, when you open your camera and have it accidentely on front camera? and you look into it and see your face stretched out of all proportions? That's what a lense will do; that's why you go with high focal length in portrait shoots, because you're far away enough to not have the face strechted out of proportions but still have a close and big picture. People are good in picking the worst images (they do exist for every person, even the most beautiful ones) that support their narrative. This works both ways. Always have, always will.

Humdinger

They picked a too low focal length in that particular scene. You know, like, when you open your camera and have it accidentely on front camera? and you look into it and see your face stretched out of all proportions? That's what a lense will do; that's why you go with high focal length in portrait shoots, because you're far away enough to not have the face strechted out of proportions but still have a close and big picture. People are good in picking the worst images (they do exist for every person, even the most beautiful ones) that support their narrative. This works both ways. Always have, always will.

I don't know, man. Her face looks chubbier throughout that whole scene, not just in that one freeze-frame. I can see it at different angles and distance as well.

And do camera angles in videogames really give you an artificial fish-eye effect, the way a lens in real life would? I've never noticed that before in videogame character close-ups.

I hear what you're saying about selectively choosing shots to support a particular narrative, though. That happens on both sides. However, there was no "fat faced Aloy" narrative in the first game, but there was in the second. Presumably, that's because there was no evidence for it in the first, and there was in the second.

edit: I realize this thread is about Star Wars Outlaws, not about Horizon Forbidden West. I'm sure Aloy's facial changes have been talked to death in other threads. I don't want to belabor it or sidetrack the thread.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

But how does any of that explain away the game early doors - asking the gamer a clear question - to profile their in game avatar's orientation? I already found the game very generic up to that point, and after the question I was no longer convinced the director even wanted to make an enjoyable game, so abandoned and swapped permanently with a friend that had already finished his copy of Elden Ring.

The meme might be taking it to the limit, but even in your shots you can still see the intended ideological look the director intended to fit with that profiling question in the second image.

At the end of the day, had PlayStation cast Beyoncé for the role of Aloy and altered her appearance and projected a model of her with a persona in the way they did with the Aloy actor, someone from Sony Music would have been calling the company CEO followed by Hulst, the director and artist all having "a box on the left" with their exit belongs and probably ushered out to a chorus of Beyoncé's "If I was a Boy", where the company reminded the ideological loons how to show talent in the best light to sell desirable content.

It is only because these female actors have no platform/actor status of their own to lose, and are probably so relived to have the gig they can get marginalised as actors in this way IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom