• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

Muffdraul

How is she unattractive?
kay-vess-main_20a3ac57.jpeg

Sharp knees, bad hairdo, would bang. Not, I mean. Would not bang.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
That is what I'm trying to explain. We don't have enough info to make these sure conclusions. Also not everyone has the same idea of beauty or attractive.

Thanks for being reasonable. This site is an echochamber, despite having some good discussions on here.

True. Keep in mind, I think you both make good points.

We don't have enough to say what the artist intent was as all we really have is that a lead artist disagreed with them, but that also isn't really grounds for "they want the character ugly", just means the lead artist disagrees with their pitch.

I see the point of Omnipunctual Godot Omnipunctual Godot where someone is brining it up that it was pitched and he feels where there is smoke, there is fire type thing in terms of an assumption, but we can't infer much by this, but.....they are also too triggered to even logically have much a discussion with lol

Its like, you are not allowed to point this out, disagree, have any opinion that goes against their views or something lol

Its like, I have to see this within reasons, within some logic before being "offended" or "outraged" or something, but I'm normally like that. I don't accept almost anything someone just claims, I must look into it, see the proof, evidence etc. I just can't run on some "clearly" or "obviously" or "its clear as day that" etc and that is a lot that I see here

This is as flimsy as the bluehaired stuff with Uncharted, like shirt tucked in MUST MEAN xyz lol

c_img_03_t.png

And this character is not even meant look "sexy" or "hot".

Even when Japanese devs go for more realistic visuals style they never go out their make the characters look ugly.

lol oh wow, just no. She is ugly and its clear they made her more ugly for agenda, like...stop Dan, you know what you are supporting and this needs to stop...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! /s

eb90a2e513296a1ba7493ea503b56e95.gif

Last edited:

Stooky

I will say, that is something I've always thought was weird. Knowing actors/actresses/models got scanned into a game, but then having their likeness altered or changed. What's the point of even scanning them at all then? The budget and everything else that comes into play just feels like a total waste IMO, and it's generally not cheap at all. If you're going through the trouble of implementing actual people, shouldn't they look like them? Isn't that the whole point?
There are so many benefits to using an actors head scan for a character. Actors get scanned all the time for the facial mocap process. It helps tremendously in getting a more accurate mocap performance. At this point its industry standard. In modeling it helps with getting details that otherwise the artist would have to recreate. That saves time and money on these tight deadlines. For realistic characters almost everybody does a scan for the base model then characterizes the model for whatever art direction they going for. I agree with the director, a lot of you all don't know enough of the process to have a good faith argument about it other than to say she's ugly and its an agenda.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Doesn't it take extra work to make her nose crooked though? Nobody ever made a crooked game nose because they screwed up making a straight one.

True, but it can also be some screw up.

Either way, I'm not sure it really matters. Lets say it was on purpose, their intent might be to make some rough and tough person that has been in fights, battles and isn't a model or something. They are an outlaw, smuggler etc so maybe its intentional

I'd still side with the director (or really any game director tbh). It is their game and they don't need to change anything, for all we know its explained in the game that its from some bar fight where she cheated in Poker or something lol Who knows.

Bernardougf Bernardougf Well.....not really.

The issue here is, what someone thinks is ugly or pretty is simply too subjective to think that someone disagreeing with you be disingenuous. There cannot be a true or false here. If you feel she is ugly, that is your view, I cannot tell you that such a thing is "true" or "false" as...fuck am I suppose to do? Enter your mind?

Thus, someone who disagrees and thinks she is fine, pretty etc, that is their view of that person. Such a thing cannot really be a true or false to then be "disingenuous" sir, that makes zero sense and I feel its like you guys are so triggered folks disagree with you, that you believe it just must not be real vs SHOCK someone has an opinion that is different then yours.

So...I never doubt your views, if you feel she is ugly, I believe you feel that way for real.

Least you can do is provide that same respect back as its almost as if you guys are confused that we have free will or something lol

Not everyone agrees with each other, that isn't some wild revelation.

Last edited:

Crayon

Doesn't it take extra work to make her nose crooked though? Nobody ever made a crooked game nose because they screwed up making a straight one.

My point is that a lot of this is centered on some brutal grabs of scenes where the interaction between their models and the environment aren't up to snuff.

Idk how much extra work it took. Maybe a lot, maybe a little. I imagine body/face scans generally need touching up. Probably taking artistic license as often as not. Maybe someone with experience can chime in.

My point was though, I think the good pictures are being ignored because it takes some of the air out of this.

c_img_03_t.png

And this character is not even meant look "sexy" or "hot".

Even when Japanese devs go for more realistic visuals style they never go out their make the characters look ugly.

Idk if that character is supposed to be hot or not. :lollipop_squinting: But for what it's worth id choose star wars girl.

MiguelItUp

There are so many benefits to using an actors head scan for a character. Actors get scanned all the time for the facial mocap process. It helps tremendously in getting a more accurate mocap performance. At this point its industry standard. In modeling it helps with getting details that otherwise the artist would have to recreate. That saves time and money on these tight deadlines. For realistic characters almost everybody does a scan for the base model then characterizes the model for whatever art direction they going for. I agree with the director, a lot of you all don't know enough of the process to have a good faith argument about it other than to say she's ugly and its an agenda.
I'm not sure why you're quoting me as I was in agreement with the Director. Don't really think it's fair to be lumped into the folks saying "she's ugly or it's an agenda" as I've never said anything of the sort. I'm well aware of the benefits, it's why it's standard these days. Depending on the actor/actress/model, it can be more expensive, it all depends. But on the same note, it does make things easier in terms of animation, modeling, texture, etc. All I was implying in what you quoted is that I think it's a bit strange to make pretty obvious adjustments to an already scanned model/face. Just that from an outside perspective, it feels like an odd choice.

Edit: Allow me to iterate. When I originally said that I was referring to the addition of the cleft chin, and the adjustment of facial features that make it look like her, but not so much. Maybe it could just be the quality of Ubi's tech or lack there of? Who knows. Could also just be the teams choice, much like the broken nose. I just don't think we've seen it before, unless I'm mistaken. Other titles have just had more 1:1 scan of actors/actresses/models. Or closest to it. This, not so much. Again, this is not an "agenda" just an observation.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

How is she unattractive?
kay-vess-main_20a3ac57.jpeg

There’s a lot of suspiciously shit lady designs/redesigns in western games but I don’t think this chick is one. Maybe if all we had were the ugly screenshots I’d get the hate, but she clearly can look good.

I’d assume they made her nose crooked to imply she’s been in a lot of brawls.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Idk if that character is supposed to be hot or not. :lollipop_squinting: But for what it's worth id choose star wars girl.
For my taste Star Wars is really looks off putting, in my opinion she looks like badly made model more than being ugly, it looks her hair is fake and wearing wig.

The picture poster she suppose to be bookworm type of character and really not meant look "sexy" but she doesn't look actively ugly.....but this is solely based on my subjective opinion.

This one other hand absolutely meant look sexy.
monster-hunter-1717108611571.jpg

why do they make ugly characters on purpose? i just dont understand it
It’s a seemingly endless agenda. One reason I think they do it is because they are trying to change beauty standards because they hate how they look and are very insecure around anything remotely more attractive or feminine than they are. They want everything to center around their little universe. Honestly, I think the Star Wars Outlaw character looks kind of attractive in some screenshots, but my question for most non-Asian games is why get a gorgeous model just to uglify her or tone her down? Why not just get a homely or average looking model to replicate instead?

Last edited:

Sacred

Star Wars Outlaws' Director: Outlaws is 'Not Worth Engaging In' everyone should skip it because it will be another mediocre empty open world from Ubisoft.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s a seemingly endless agenda. One reason I think they do it is because they are trying to change beauty standards because they hate how they look and are very insecure around anything remotely more attractive or feminine than they are. They want everything to center around their little universe. Honestly, I think the Star Wars Outlaw character looks kind of attractive in some screenshots, but my question for most non-Asian games is why get a gorgeous model just to uglify her or tone her down? Why not just get a homely or average looking model to replicate instead?
Totally.

Typically any media involving heroes of some sort has good looking people. It's part of the movie, book cover or game. Kicking ass is one thing, and looking good while doing it makes it a complete package. And only odd, anti-social envious types would take that as a negative. I'm an average looking guy whose overweight. Why would I want to swing swords, shoot guns, or have a D&D sorceress look like Roseanne Barr and John Goodman? I want the guy to be a macho meathead clubbing and a hot women casting lightning spells. Why would I (or any normal person) interpret that as bad? I dont read romance novels, but I'm pretty sure it's glammed up with super hunk and hot distressed lady on the cover. Not two 250 lb slobs in bed with fat rolls.

But all the political jealous types want fuglies because when gamers play the game as that character, it makes the creative type feel good they are empowering a drab looking character (which is based on them). Attention seeking, looking for ego boosts, social media trainwrecks, and emotionally unstable. That's your typical video game creative. And they hate when good looking women get attention. And I'm sure it's killing them a lot of these DEI/anti-good looking women games are getting slammed in sales. So it shows gamers dont care, which means an emotional slap in the face to their person lives. Oh well. Too bad. I'd bet it pissed a lot of them off that Top Gun Maverick with a macho predictable plot and Tom Cruise and Jennifer Connelly made like $1.5B sales. Old fat Kelly McGillis was kicked to the curb for Connelly.

You can tell how skewed their thinking is since female models can get totally dumbed down. But the good looking male actor seems to hold true still being studly.

Last edited:

Stooky

I'm not sure why you're quoting me as I was in agreement with the Director. Don't really think it's fair to be lumped into the folks saying "she's ugly or it's an agenda" as I've never said anything of the sort. I'm well aware of the benefits, it's why it's standard these days. Depending on the actor/actress/model, it can be more expensive, it all depends. But on the same note, it does make things easier in terms of animation, modeling, texture, etc. All I was implying in what you quoted is that I think it's a bit strange to make pretty obvious adjustments to an already scanned model/face. Just that from an outside perspective, it feels like an odd choice.

Edit: Allow me to iterate. When I originally said that I was referring to the addition of the cleft chin, and the adjustment of facial features that make it look like her, but not so much. Maybe it could just be the quality of Ubi's tech or lack there of? Who knows. Could also just be the teams choice, much like the broken nose. I just don't think we've seen it before, unless I'm mistaken. Other titles have just had more 1:1 scan of actors/actresses/models. Or closest to it. This, not so much. Again, this is not an "agenda" just an observation.
I see what you are saying. Sorry didn't mean to lump you in with other comments. 1:1 scans/digi double are a whole other contract deal and in another price range. Depends on the target. Are we auditioning for likeness and voice for this role? Or maybe Just a likeness scan and we will hire an actor for the voice? The actors look may not fit with the other characters in the game world, so then the artist does tweaks so that the look sits in line with other characters and is believable in that world. IMO the actress looks to clean for what they described her character as being in that world. So the artist made her look like she's in some fights and can take a punch. Everything you described is part of the story telling of that character and sometimes you cant get that with just a head scan.

It can be engine quality. Lighting can be the largest culprit. If not done right it will ruin a look.

Last edited:

Crayon

For my taste Star Wars is really looks off putting, in my opinion she looks like badly made model more than being ugly, it looks her hair is fake and wearing wig.

The picture poster she suppose to be bookworm type of character and really not meant look "sexy" but she doesn't look actively ugly.....but this is solely based on my subjective opinion.

This one other hand absolutely meant look sexy.
monster-hunter-1717108611571.jpg

I don't think star wars girl is supposed to be that sexy. Seems like a sort of badlands roughneck character.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think star wars girl is supposed to be that sexy. Seems like a sort of badlands roughneck character.
Like I said in my original post, I’m not even asking them to make them look “sexy” but just don’t make them look ugly. I don’t care about race or sex, in both video games and movies people want to see good looking people in entertainment.

Again mostly subjective opinion but I REALLY find Star Wars girl’s look off putting.

Crayon

Like I said in my original post, I’m not even asking them to make them look “sexy” but just don’t make them look ugly. I don’t care about race or sex, in both video games and movies people want to see good looking people in entertainment.

Again mostly subjective opinion but I REALLY find Star Wars girl’s look off putting.

Ah gotcha. I don't think she's ugly at all tho. Better than that bookworm girl. :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Woopah

Yes, we must suppress human nature comrade.
I'm not sure its general human nature, since the vast majority of people seem completely fine playing video games without being physically attracted to a protagonist.

There's around 200 million people or so who played GTA V, but I've never seen people complain that Trevor isn't sexy.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah but the thing is, those jpeg cost money and I'm not paying for ugly shit.
Lol I just had to comment on your Username Blurb and I thought mine was bad, those Admins are a cruel but funny bunch...

As for the games protagonist, I think she looks fine considering what their aiming for, the character is a rough and ready rouge not a catwalk model so they've went for someone that perfectly fits the mould, I honestly don't think there was an intention to uglyfy her, sure the model she's based on is a looker but would I feel that someone with those looks could be a smuggler? No I don't, she's far too pretty.

I come from a time when movies had actors that look like they fit the role, look at The Thing, Alien etc all of them ordinary Joe's with a few exceptions, they weren't pretty boys or supermodels, they all looked exactly how you would expect them to look and this Outlaws character is the same imo, not every female character in every game needs to be drop dead gorgeous but I have to admit thon thing in the new Fable game is a bog beast that needs drowning

PaintTinJr

That is what I'm trying to explain. We don't have enough info to make these sure conclusions. Also not everyone has the same idea of beauty or attractive.

Thanks for being reasonable. This site is an echochamber, despite having some good discussions on here.
This site is only an "echo chamber" if you consider common sense takes - reenforced by the vast majority of public opinion you could canvas - more accurately described that way, than majority opinion.

Bernardougf

True, but it can also be some screw up.

Either way, I'm not sure it really matters. Lets say it was on purpose, their intent might be to make some rough and tough person that has been in fights, battles and isn't a model or something. They are an outlaw, smuggler etc so maybe its intentional

I'd still side with the director (or really any game director tbh). It is their game and they don't need to change anything, for all we know its explained in the game that its from some bar fight where she cheated in Poker or something lol Who knows.

Bernardougf Bernardougf Well.....not really.

The issue here is, what someone thinks is ugly or pretty is simply too subjective to think that someone disagreeing with you be disingenuous. There cannot be a true or false here. If you feel she is ugly, that is your view, I cannot tell you that such a thing is "true" or "false" as...fuck am I suppose to do? Enter your mind?

Thus, someone who disagrees and thinks she is fine, pretty etc, that is their view of that person. Such a thing cannot really be a true or false to then be "disingenuous" sir, that makes zero sense and I feel its like you guys are so triggered folks disagree with you, that you believe it just must not be real vs SHOCK someone has an opinion that is different then yours.

So...I never doubt your views, if you feel she is ugly, I believe you feel that way for real.

Least you can do is provide that same respect back as its almost as if you guys are confused that we have free will or something lol

Not everyone agrees with each other, that isn't some wild revelation.
Ahh the little SJW wallposter bullshiter @...int me, my day is complete.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

It’s not that, it would be nice to have the option to play as a male character too imo.
Well you probably basically will be ... at least in their fucked up eyes... is their idea of a "female" protagonist... but in fact they try to gender neutralize her by giving male features, strength and behavior. Most female protagonists this days in any media btw, could be swapped by a male one, with very little hiccups, if any, to the continuity of the story or events.

Last edited:
How gives a shit what the main characters look like, more so when most of the time you'll be seeing the backs of them. I just care if the game is fun and good to play and from the gameplay previews it looks a great game

bbw_lover87

I agree with him a bit but Shit yall better not see my mass effect character, fallout etc i always make dem real ugly the way the hero suppose to be hahaha

EDMIX

Ahh the little SJW wallposter bullshiter @...int me, my day is complete.

?? Don't give a shit about SJW or woke stuff bud.

I don't get it man, why the fuck do you guys just make these claims just cause someone fucking disagrees with you?

So 100% agree with you or, I'm SJW?

Wow bud.

Good luck with that narrative man, basically anyone is this by default of not agreeing with this cult or something lol
I agree with him a bit but Shit yall better not see my mass effect character, fallout etc i always make dem real ugly the way the hero suppose to be hahaha
Nah, you can't agree with him at all it seems, if you do you are SJW apparently. No opinions are allowed basically.

Team Andromeda Team Andromeda nooooo, you can't like the game at all or you are SJW bro, didn't you hear the clowns at the circus? Agree with them or SJW bro /s

Last edited:

Bernardougf

How gives a shit what the main characters look like, more so when most of the time you'll be seeing the backs of them. I just care if the game is fun and good to play and from the gameplay previews it looks a great game
This is not mario bro ... I agree that gameplay is king, but this argument really dosent hold up in heavily story driven games when you will be doing multiple interactions and seeing cutscenes all the time. If it dosent botter you fair enouth, but you cant use the argument that you will barely see the characters faces and expressions in this type of games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This is not mario bro ... I agree that gameplay is king, but this argument really dosent hold up in heavily story driven games when you will be doing multiple interactions and seeing cutscenes all the time. If it dosent botter you fair enouth, but you cant use the argument that you will barely see the characters faces and expressions in this type of games.
I mean, holy shit you going to tell the person what they like and how to play games too huh?

Someone playing a game for fun, is now some wild "argument"?

Christ man, you can't make this shit up.

Woopah Woopah I'm ok with that if its like a open ended type story or something, but because this game is about "outlaws" and its character driven, it makes sense for playing 1 character.

Last edited:

Woopah

I mean, holy shit you going to tell the person what they like and how to play games too huh?

Someone playing a game for fun, is now some wild "argument"?

Christ man, you can't make this shit up.

Woopah Woopah I'm ok with that if its like a open ended type story or something, but because this game is about "outlaws" and its character driven, it makes sense for playing 1 character.
It makes sense for me too. I was just saying that I don't see it being a too unreasonable request (some of the Assassin's Creed games give people a choice of gender for example.

EDMIX

It makes sense for me too. I was just saying that I don't see it being a too unreasonable request (some of the Assassin's Creed games give people a choice of gender for example.
I feel AC Valhalla did a great job with that. Because you are in some DNA, time machine type shit, it can work lol

Kenpachii

What i don't get is why people can't just create there own outlaw character including the known movie characters in the menu. So everybody can decide how there char looks like or not. Just have 2 voices a male and female one that ubisoft is well known for and a stock template and a online solution where people can upload there own creations.

That will solve all those problems. Having one stock character is bound to get shit on.

Please, this is Star Wars hardly a franchise known for its narrative, beautiful women and great scripts

If the game is anything like Avtar I think it will be great. So far the game looks amazing

Team Andromeda Team Andromeda nooooo, you can't like the game at all or you are SJW bro, didn't you hear the clowns at the circus? Agree with them or SJW bro /s
I hate WOKE and what it's doing to the USA and UK but that won't stop me from enjoying a well made game.
I hated the fact that we had to have Ladies and Gegenltmen put into latter versions of Daytona USA still enjoyed the game mind

Ozriel

M$FT
u67rm1q.jpeg

And here’s how she looked like while making the game

In the real world, the lady has her Outlaws scan plastered over her Instagram, with lots of happiness from the feature.

Meanwhile a flood of clowns here are getting their panties in a twist talking about how Ubisoft “did the actress bad”.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
7 pages about the character's face when instead you should focus on the garbage AI, horrible animations/takedowns, shoddy performance, uninspiring gameplay, etc. When did gaf turn into twitter? Some of you should just hang out with Grumzz and the other twitter dumbasses who focus on the wrong things. Abbey was also not very pretty in TLOU2 but at least that game played and looked awesome.

Top Bottom