• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws | Review Thread

welshrat

Ordered for ps5. Seen some online reviews and it seems as though performance mode mostly sticks to vrr range so should be good.

Jaybe

What do reviews say about the story and characters ?

From Eurogamer:

Kay Vess is as unchanging a character as I can remember. Played gamely by Humberly Gonzalez, Kay begins as a scrappy underdog who projects cockiness and continues at that exact level throughout, unimpacted by the people she meets, the events of the story, or anything else. Her desires are unclear to the point of parody - and almost plot point, right towards the very end - with her entire motivation being to get rid of the death mark put on her by a brush with a crime lord at the beginning, and maybe to bag a big score.

Why does Kay want to land this score so badly? What does she value or care about - or, as it seems to be nothing, why is she this much of a cynic? Far too much Disney-era Star Wars finds itself equivocating between the Rebels and the Empire, in search of complexity and grey areas in the era of antiheroes and prestige TV and no doubt because, in relentlessly expanding as a universe, there's only so much you can get out of a simple good-versus-evil tale. Kay feels like the personification of the issue, her blankly disinterested nihilism feeling like a function of her as a simplified 'rogue' character spec sheet. The mistake Massive has made here is conflating a character archetype - scoundrel - with actual character.

The same struggles continue into the storytelling as a whole. This is a heist story set amongst the seedy underworld of the galaxy. Cue all of the surface-level vibes of a heist story but none of the detail or intentionality that makes them what they are.

with Jedi Outcast 2
Meme Think GIF

Do you mean jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, or jedi knight 3: jedi academy?

Diddy X

Looks like it can deliver some several hours of fun, will get it when I find it for 10€.

Last edited:

Pey.

My review in progress with the first hour PC of gameplay at max settings (including RT to Ultra) and some screenshots. Graphics are amazing, but performance is awful, sadly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbToW9yZ2c&ab_channel=PCMasterRaceLatinoam%C3%A9rica%28Pey%29

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.55.44.89.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.58.46.03.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.25-08.46.11.14.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.51.14.86.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
My review in progress with the first hour PC of gameplay at max settings (including RT to Ultra) and some screenshots. Graphics are amazing, but performance is awful, sadly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbToW9yZ2c&ab_channel=PCMasterRaceLatinoam%C3%A9rica%28Pey%29

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.55.44.89.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.58.46.03.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.25-08.46.11.14.jpg

Star-Wars-Outlaws-Screenshot-2024.08.24-02.51.14.86.jpg

Does it have dlss or framegen?

Were the textures still loading for that dude with the white shirt in the first pic? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

NickFire

From Eurogamer:

Kay Vess is as unchanging a character as I can remember. Played gamely by Humberly Gonzalez, Kay begins as a scrappy underdog who projects cockiness and continues at that exact level throughout, unimpacted by the people she meets, the events of the story, or anything else. Her desires are unclear to the point of parody - and almost plot point, right towards the very end - with her entire motivation being to get rid of the death mark put on her by a brush with a crime lord at the beginning, and maybe to bag a big score.

Why does Kay want to land this score so badly? What does she value or care about - or, as it seems to be nothing, why is she this much of a cynic? Far too much Disney-era Star Wars finds itself equivocating between the Rebels and the Empire, in search of complexity and grey areas in the era of antiheroes and prestige TV and no doubt because, in relentlessly expanding as a universe, there's only so much you can get out of a simple good-versus-evil tale. Kay feels like the personification of the issue, her blankly disinterested nihilism feeling like a function of her as a simplified 'rogue' character spec sheet. The mistake Massive has made here is conflating a character archetype - scoundrel - with actual character.

The same struggles continue into the storytelling as a whole. This is a heist story set amongst the seedy underworld of the galaxy. Cue all of the surface-level vibes of a heist story but none of the detail or intentionality that makes them what they are.
So a poor girl’s version of Han Solo?

Edit. Im so tired of being cynical about Star Wars. But that character description really sounds (to me) like an extended scene from the Panderverse parody. Just put a (Mel Gibson) wig on Han Solo and call it a day.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Damn, Ubisoft is just a constant dump fire. I understand individual developers being shit but how does an entire publisher serve up nothing but shit year after year. I know Prince of Persia exists but how many 80+ big releases have these chumps even put out this gen?

Pey.

Does it have dlss or framegen?

Were the textures still loading for that dude with the white shirt in the first pic? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yes, it has Frame Generation for both Nvidia and AMD, as well as exclusive Nvidia RTX effects and Ray Reconstruction. Graphics settings are shown both in the video and the article with screenshots of all the settings.

As for the texture, it's possible (not sure if in that pic thoigh). There's a few bugs that made textures set to low, such as long gaming sessions or loading a save after getting back to the menu. I hope Ubi fixes these things for official launch, aside from the terrible performance and stutters.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, it has Frame Generation for both Nvidia and AMD. Graphics settings are shown both in the video and the article with screenshots of all the settings.

As for the texture, it's possible (not sure if in that pic thoigh). There's a few bugs that made textures set to low, such as long gaming sessions or loading a save after getting back to the menu. I hope Ubi fixes these things for official launch, aside from the terrible performance and stutters.
And the perf are terrible even considering framegen? Or you were just talking broadly because not everyone has a 4000 gpu?

Last edited:

Pey.

And the perf are terrible even considering framegen? Or you were just talking broadly because not everyone has a 4000 gpu?

Yes, even with Frame Gen, the only way to get 60 FPS in the open-world is with a RTX 4080 SUPER (with overclock if possible) on PERFORMANCE mode. With Quality I got an average of 40 FPS. In all cases, nothing saves you from the frequent stutters though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, even with Frame Gen, the only way to get 60 FPS in the open-world is with a RTX 4080 SUPER (with overclock if possible) on PERFORMANCE mode. With Quality I got an average of 40 FPS. In all cases, nothing saves you from the frequent stutters though.
I usually disable any rtx effect with my vanilla 4080 so i should be ok i think.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah same. Allowing patches was the worst thing to ever happen to gaming because now companies just shovel them out and fix it later. It’s unacceptable to me that their sole job is to release a fucking game that plays on a console without issue and nobody can do it anymore
Ehh I get the frustration with broken buggy games but this is going too far. Games are so much bigger and more complex than they used to be.

I’m a software engineer in a different industry working on a couple massive software projects. It’s split across several teams in 5 locations around the world. Many different components interacting with each other in complex ways, and some of those components are frameworks developed by other divisions in my company (meaning I can’t read/modify source code on my own if I need to fix/debug an issue).

It’s pretty mind boggling. No matter how much testing you do in house + with some early adopter customers, there’s always some shit that you’re just not going to encounter until you roll it out at a large scale.

And ALL software has bugs. It’s a good thing that we have a way to fix things post launch.

What really needs to change is publishers knowingly releasing games in an unacceptable state + apologizing for it later.

Pretty typical Ubisoft score. As expected, Massive's presentation and world building are good but also as expected, the main character and gameplay are pretty lame.

dorkimoe

Ehh I get the frustration with broken buggy games but this is going too far. Games are so much bigger and more complex than they used to be.

I’m a software engineer in a different industry working on a couple massive software projects. It’s split across several teams in 5 locations around the world. Many different components interacting with each other in complex ways, and some of those components are frameworks developed by other divisions in my company (meaning I can’t read/modify source code on my own if I need to fix/debug an issue).

It’s pretty mind boggling. No matter how much testing you do in house + with some early adopter customers, there’s always some shit that you’re just not going to encounter until you roll it out at a large scale.

And ALL software has bugs. It’s a good thing that we have a way to fix things post launch.

What really needs to change is publishers knowingly releasing games in an unacceptable state + apologizing for it later.
Just dont give a release date until the games done. I understand developing for PC, but the consoles should be cookie cutter...

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yet again Ray Tracing implementation is a fucking disaster. I really wish these companies would find a new technology for their
buzzword as ray tracing just isn't worth the performance hits.
BUT BUT BUT MAH REALISTIC SHADOWS THAT NOBODY LOOKS AT WHEN ACTUALLY PLAYING!!!!!! Srsly, we had some amazing looking games in PS4 era that can blow the water out of these modern turds from a visual consistency point of view, because devs were masters of faking realistic lighting. Raytracing was supposed to cut dev time in half and yet here were are games still taking 8 years to make and not looking significantly any better.

iorek21

Usual Ubisoft tier ratings, the fast food of gaming. Good visuals, unispired story and generic gameplay.

Ubi seems to only really shine when games like Rayman Legends, PoP Lost Crown and Valiant Hearts come out.

SJRB

Gold Member
From Eurogamer:

They forgot to give her a character arc and a personality, lol.

What a missed opportunity. This game is probably designed by committee but still, what a fumble.

GymWolf

Gold Member
BUT BUT BUT MAH REALISTIC SHADOWS THAT NOBODY LOOKS AT WHEN ACTUALLY PLAYING!!!!!! Srsly, we had some amazing looking games in PS4 era that can blow the water out of these modern turds from a visual consistency point of view, because devs were masters of faking realistic lighting. Raytracing was supposed to cut dev time in half and yet here were are games still taking 8 years to make and not looking significantly any better.
To cut development time games should only use rtx lights.

Since consoles are not nearly powerfull enough devs nowadays have to make both rtx and raster lights to gave a choice.

Rtx are not gonna help development time until ps7 if ps6 is gonna be another cheap piece of shit like ps5.

King Dazzar

I still dont get the main focus on stealth gameplay. With only occasional gunplay and even then, not allowed to keep with you anything but a pistol. Why limit it. Love them or hate them. One of Ubi's strengths has usually been open ended approach to areas.

That said, I think I'll prefer this over EA's Janky Jedi stuff.

This is a pick up on heavy discounted sale by the looks of it for me.

Jaybe

They forgot to give her a character arc and a personality, lol.

What a missed opportunity. This game is probably designed by committee but still, what a fumble.

Yeah, sounds like gameplay is awful (weak checkpoint stealth, boring gunplay), and could have been redeemed for some people by a great story and interesting characters, but no, it’s a big miss all around.

Toots

Gold Member
Just dont give a release date until the games done. I understand developing for PC, but the consoles should be cookie cutter...
Console market is infinitely more subject to business decision by shareholders than pc market...
You want hundreds of millions of $ budget ? Get used to games releasing half finished because of pragmatic accounting decisions

Top Bottom